10 Best Electric Trimmers Review and rating of the best electric trimmers for gardening, cottage and backyard maintenance. The best low cost and powerful trimmers from popular brands Bosch, Makita, Huter and DDE.
4 Hammer ETR900
An excellent garden trimmer is the Hammer ETR900. The affordable price of the Chinese device is perfectly combined with the high power (950 W). The electric scythe is very convenient to use due to its compactness. With a bevel width of 35 cm, it is possible to mow the grass in the narrowest places of the garden or between the garden beds. The overhead position of the motor prevents moisture from entering the electrical part of the unit. The manufacturer has equipped the model with a bicycle-style handle, which makes the work comfortable and less tiring. By moving the handle along the bar, you can adjust the mount to your height.
The manufacturer also took care of the operator’s safety. There is protection against accidental start in the form of a two-button switch. The cover is precisely positioned in the work area, the grass does not get on the worker’s clothes and shoes. The set also includes a knife for mowing weeds and small bushes.
10 best electric trimmers
Feature in the rating
Many owners of private houses and summer cottages carefully look after their personal plot. When the active growth of grass begins, there is a need for a special technique. The modern market offers a choice of lawn mowers, lawn mowers, electric trimmers. The latter compare favorably with an affordable price, so there is a steady demand for them. Electric trimmers are especially effective in small areas where the extension cord is easy to stretch. But difficulties also arise at the purchase stage. The range of power tools is very diverse, so a few tips from the experts will be relevant and appropriate. What parameters should you pay close attention to?
- First of all, you need to determine the performance. It depends on the power and speed of the motor. For well-groomed areas where growing grass will have to be cut, power up to 1,000 watts will be enough. There is no other reason to pursue high performance. The stronger the engine, the greater the trimmer mass.
- The location of the engine affects the price and usability. Cheap low-power models have a bottom-mounted electric motor. But this design has serious drawbacks, for example, grass clogging and poor cooling.
- For overhead models, shoulder straps will be required. Unfortunately, not all manufacturers complete trimmers with these accessories.
- Electric braids and handle shape differ. Lightweight machines are equipped with D-shaped holders, which give the trimmer maneuverability. And more powerful units are controlled by a handle in the form of a bicycle handlebar.
Our review includes the best electric trimmers. When compiling the rating, the following criteria were taken into account:
Best inexpensive electric trimmers
If you want to mechanize your work, but are on a budget, electric trimmers from this category are what you need. All of them do an excellent job with the task, but at the same time they have their own characteristics. Let’s take a look at three popular budget models and decide which one is the best.
Features of operation
Particular attention should be focused on regularly cleaning the air filter from dirt and sawdust, tightening screws and nuts before using the unit.
As for the rotating head, it is recommended to use only special fishing line here, since the use of metal cables or wire as an alternative will lead to rapid wear of the mechanism. Over, the line must have the diameter recommended by the manufacturer of the existing model of gasoline trimmer.
The mowing head also needs periodic maintenance. A worn or deformed element can damage the petrol trimmer. Repair here will require replacing the shaft or gearbox of the unit, which will lead to serious expenses.
Fuel supply system
The problem may lie in a clogged fuel hose. Its disconnection should lead to unauthorized leakage of fuel. Otherwise, you will have to clean or replace the fuel filter.
Petrol trimmer. Device and repair
Basically, a gasoline trimmer consists of a long tubular rod connected to a gearbox in an internal combustion engine. The inner part of the tube contains a shaft, through which torque is transmitted to the cutting device.
The trimmers come with a cutting line that attaches to the rotating mechanism. During the mowing of the lawn, the latter gradually wears out. Therefore, you have to periodically service the petrol trimmer. Repair in this case consists in removing the old fishing line and replacing it.
Stihl FS250 lawn mowers overview
Advantages and disadvantages
- Like many models, the Stihl FS250 lawn mower is equipped with a handy manual fuel pump, which allows the operator to pump the required amount of fuel mixture into the carburetor with a simple press of a button.
- Thanks to the multifunctional two-handed handle, on which all the levers and control buttons are located, working with the lawn mower is very comfortable and not tiring.
- During operation, a solid cutting diameter of 42 cm is provided.
- Installing a special STIHL compensator in the carburetor allows you to keep the engine power stable for a long time, despite the clogged air filter. The process is adjusted in such a way that the filter only needs cleaning after 80% of the contamination.
The STIHL FS250 lawn mower is distinguished by its high reliability, durability, and the absence of any systemic problems during operation. Owners sometimes note excessive noise and insufficient vibration protection.
The main breakdowns are associated with violation of the rules for the installation and operation of mowing heads, knives and discs. Therefore, in order to ensure the safety and security of the equipment, you should strictly follow the precautions when installing cutting tools and protective devices.
Lawn mower Stihl fs56 and fsa FS56 set
Among the lightweight petrol lawn mower trimmers, the STIHL FS56 features an ergonomic two-handed handle. The power of the unit is 1.1 hp, which allows high-quality mowing of grass in medium-sized areas, the destruction of weeds and packed vegetation. The model belongs to the STIHL lawnmower group for domestic use.
The Stihl lawnmower range includes the STIHL FSA 56 set cordless scythe with a cordless motor. This model is equipped with an AutoCut 2-2 mowing head, can work 40 minutes without recharging, providing a cutting diameter of 28 cm. Unlike lawn mowers, the Stihl FSA 56 cordless lawn mower is much cheaper.
The model is distinguished by its reliability and high build quality. The STIHL FS56 lawn mower is easy to maintain and has high performance. Thanks to the 2-MIX system, the engine is economical in terms of fuel, the emission of harmful substances into the atmosphere is significantly reduced.
Of the shortcomings of the Stihl FS56 lawn mowers, the owners note some difficulties with starting, which are easy to fix on their own, following the manufacturer’s detailed instructions. Sometimes there are malfunctions associated with the carburetor setting.
Stihl FS56 Petrol trimmer instruction manual
It is important to remember that a lawn mower is demanding on the brand and quality of fuels and lubricants. Unsuitable fuel and engine oil or an incorrect fuel mixture will cause serious damage to the engine, o-rings, piping and fuel tank. The fuel mixture for Stihl lawn mowers is prepared at the rate of 50 parts of AI-92 gasoline and 1 part of original STIHL oil in a separate container. It is not recommended to store the prepared mixture for more than 3 months.
Some of the wearing parts of Stihl lawn mowers are subject to natural wear and tear and should be replaced in time with new ones: air and fuel filters, cutting tools and protective devices for them, spark plug, starter, fasteners for mowing attachments.
How to keep an eye on the bevel gear
The first priority of the user is to prevent dirt from accumulating on it. This circumstance will not allow the part to cool normally. The second requirement is to apply grease (Husqvarna type or similar) designed for a gear pair. An annual lubrication procedure is usually sufficient.
When caring for a gasoline engine, you should pay special attention to the cleanliness of the air filter. It should be free of sawdust and dirt. The foam filter must be constantly moistened with oil. The check should be carried out weekly, promptly change the filter as needed. Before starting each work, check that the nuts and screws are tightened. It is also necessary to clean the muffler and spark plugs from carbon deposits as they become dirty.
Line condition monitoring
How to care for the cord part? The most important thing in this business is the use of a specially designed mowing line.
- The line must be changed periodically;
- The diameter specified by the manufacturer is set;
- The winding of the cord is tight, but without crossing the turns;
- The head must be constantly cleaned of dirt and regularly lubricated;
- Carefully monitor the degree of wear (otherwise the gearbox or shaft will be deformed).