Trimmer Won’T Start On Cold
From a technical point of view, trimmers can be classified as complex devices. Based on this, it is strongly recommended to carefully study the corresponding instructions before using them. However, in practice, many ignore it, often later find themselves in situations where the gasoline trimmer does not start or picks up poorly during operation. It should be noted that similar problems can be encountered when acquiring new models of equipment.
The key to effective and prompt repair will, of course, be a competent diagnosis of the device. In the process of troubleshooting, you will have to inspect and test, first of all, key elements. The list of these includes candles, a tank, filter units and fuel system valves. As practice shows, very often malfunctions of these particular elements become the reason that the lawn mower does not start. The quality and correctness of the preparation of the fuel mixture deserves special attention, especially when it comes to two-stroke engines. With regard to this parameter, the manufacturer’s recommendations should be strictly followed in order to avoid serious breakdowns and expensive repair work. In the case, for example, with a piston group of internal combustion engines, costs can be up to 70 percent of the cost of new technology.
Often, trimmer owners have to deal with situations where the specified mixture is of high quality, the carburetor is in good working order and configured, and the device still does not show signs of life when trying to start the engine. In such cases, you should check the condition of the candle. The following steps will troubleshoot the problem:
- Unscrew the candle;
- Wipe and dry the part (annealing is undesirable);
- Remove fuel and dry the spark plug channel for 30–40 minutes; such actions will avoid flooding the candle with the next start-up attempt;
- Completely eliminate traces of carbon deposits using a file or sandpaper;
- Set the appropriate gap;
- Put the candle back in place.
If the candle turns out to be working and the seat is completely dry, and the scythe engine does not start, then the threads should be moistened with gasoline. It is worth remembering that, regardless of the quality of the spark that is emitted, initially there is simply nothing to ignite in a completely dry chamber. Faced with the fact that the spark does not come, it is worth paying attention to checking the contact between the high-voltage wiring and the spark plugs. If this connection turns out to be of good quality, then it will be necessary to check the performance of the ignition system control unit. In such cases, it is unlikely that it will be possible to do without the services of a qualified specialist.
The next step in diagnosing a gasoline streamer will be to check the condition of the filters. Often, the lawn mower does not start well or does not start at all on a cold one due to the clogged air filter. You can identify this malfunction by excluding it from the system. If after that the braid starts up, then you will have to clean or change this element. Experienced users strongly recommend periodically purging the air filter to maximize its useful life.
The described tool may also fail to start due to problems with the supply of gasoline caused by a dirty fuel filter. To quickly and effectively eliminate such a breakdown, you just need to replace the filter element with a new one. It is important to remember that the suction inlet must be equipped with a filter, as provided by all instructions. Failure to comply with these rules and recommendations can lead to expensive piston repairs. In the process of diagnosing and searching for the source of problems with starting the mower, attention should be paid to the breather, which is responsible for stabilizing the pressure equalization in the fuel tank. In addition, it is necessary to check the cleanliness of the exhaust duct and the muffler mesh. As a rule, such problems are most often encountered when troubleshooting old models.
Ways to eliminate breakage
It is no secret that the best and most effective repair method is to prevent possible malfunctions. As already noted, one of the key points is how well the gasoline-oil mixture is prepared. Its components must be at least AI-92 gasoline and high-quality engine oil. The proportions for which the mixture is prepared are indicated in the manufacturer’s manual included with any gasoline trimmer. As a rule, oil is added to gasoline using an ordinary medical syringe. In this way, the easiest way is to maintain the appropriate proportions.
Quite often, if problems arise with starting the lawn mowers, the owners of the tool try to carry out repairs with their own hands. With the necessary knowledge and skills, this approach will significantly reduce operating costs. First of all, it is worth checking the fuel system and, in particular, the filter element. If a blockage is found, the easiest way is to replace the filter with a new one. If the air filter has become the source of problems, then you can get out of a difficult situation even during operation with little time. You will need to do the following:
- Remove the filter element;
- Directly in working conditions, you can wash the filter with the used gasoline;
- When operating a scythe at home or at a summer cottage, water and simple detergents are used for cleaning;
- After washing, the part is thoroughly rinsed and dried;
- A completely dry filter should be lubricated with engine oil;
- The excess lubricant is removed by squeezing the filter element with your hands;
- The cleaned part is put in place and the plastic cover is fixed with screws.
If the described actions do not provide a positive result, then the next step will be to adjust the idle speed using the appropriate carburetor screw. Many publications ands posted on the World Wide Web are devoted to this topic. When trying to solve the problems in question, there are several steps you can take.
- The trimmer is placed on the side so that the “air” is on top. This will allow the fuel mixture to flow to the bottom of the carburetor. Often, attempts to start the internal combustion engine are successful if you first dismantle the mentioned part and literally send a couple of drops of gasoline directly to the carburetor itself.
- If, after all the described actions, the scythe did not work out, then attention should be paid to the state of the candle and, in particular, the presence of a spark. In parallel, all fuel is completely removed from the combustion chamber.
- Often, lawn mowers’ owners find themselves in situations when the fuel and air filters are clean, the candles are in good order, the fuel mixture is fresh and of high quality, but the internal combustion engine does not show signs of life. In such cases, experienced specialists recommend using a universal and proven method of launching many years of practice. It is necessary to move the air damper to the closed position and pull the starter handle once. After that, the damper opens and the engine is started 2-3 times. In the vast majority of cases, the result is positive.
The spark plug can be flooded with fuel during the start of the trimmer ICE. Even with a high-quality mixture and a good spark, starting the device is unlikely to work. The most effective way out is to remove the candle and dry it. In parallel, you can check this spare part for operability, if any faults are found, replace it. This procedure includes a number of simple steps, namely:
- Mute the device and wait for the power unit to cool completely;
- Disconnect the wire;
- Remove the candle itself;
- Inspect the dismantled part;
- Make sure there is a gap (0.6 mm);
- Screw in a new, working plug and tighten.
In practice, many repair work related to the fact that the scythe has stopped starting up and which sooner or later one has to deal with during the operation of a household lawn mower, it is quite possible to cope independently. But in case of serious malfunctions, it would be most rational to contact a specialized service. However, the key factor in such cases will be the ratio of the cost of repairs to the price of a new trimmer.
As practice shows, gasoline trimmers stop starting or function normally after winter, that is, long-term seasonal storage. Before further attempts to run the tool, thorough diagnostics should be performed to determine the source of the problem. At the moment, there are several most common causes of malfunction.
- Initially, it is necessary to check the quality of the fuel. Saving in such cases can have extremely negative consequences. Experienced lawn mower owners and experts advise preparing a mixture, the volume of which will correspond to the forthcoming work, since its surplus quickly loses its qualities.
- Trimmers of such famous brands as, for example, Husgvarna, Makita, Stihl, are very sensitive to the fuel used. It is about the quality of the fuel and the octane number. Providing suitable operating conditions and extending the service life of equipment will allow refueling with high-quality gasoline.
- At the moment of starting the engine of the lawn mower, it may stall due to the fact that it fills the spark plug. Often in such situations you have to deal with the need to adjust the carburetor. It is worth noting that similar problems arise when the braid stops getting hot.
- Sometimes the tool cannot be started, although the plug is wet, which in turn indicates that the fuel mixture has entered the combustion chamber. As a rule, this is one of the symptoms that there is no spark. The reasons may be the lack of normal contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire, or drying out of the threaded connection in the spark plug channel.
- If there are no problems with the spark, and at the same time the candle itself remains dry, then most often this indicates that gasoline is not being pumped. There may be several reasons for this situation. We are talking, in particular, about the condition of the fuel filter and carburetor.
- The internal combustion engine of the streamer does not start or immediately after starting it stops working, which may be due to clogging of the air filter, which prevents the normal supply of air necessary to enrich the mixture.
Gasoline trimmer won’t start: causes and remedies
Given the specifics of using gasoline trimmers, their owners often have to deal with certain problems. One of the most common troubles is that the lawn mower won’t start or gain momentum. For the fastest and most effective elimination of such a problem, you should have an idea of the main causes of possible malfunctions.
Recommendations for use
The stability of the operation of any lawn mowers and the absence of problems with starting the power unit of such devices directly depend on the conditions in which the tool is used and the quality of maintenance. And we are talking about the following basic rules:
- In the process of work, it is necessary to pay special attention to the cooling system and other elements; it is strongly recommended to timely and efficiently clean the channels located on the scythe body and the ribs of the starter;
- In the process of processing various elements, solvents, gasoline, kerosene and other effective means can be used;
- These works should be carried out after the power unit has completely cooled down;
- It is necessary to fully comply with all the rules specified in the relevant instructions drawn up by the developers of the described tool, which will avoid overloads in a warm engine, which in turn is the most common cause of serious damage;
- All remaining fuel in the internal combustion engine should be completely drained before long breaks in the operation of the streamer; it should be borne in mind that the gasoline-oil mixture decomposes rather quickly into the so-called heavy fractions, which inevitably clog the carburetor;
- After removing the fuel, it is required to start the engine and let it run on XX until it stalls itself; in this way, the remaining mixture will be completely removed from the internal combustion engine.
Particular attention should be paid to preparing the instrument for long-term seasonal storage. This should be done to minimize the risk of problems with starting the engine. Competent preparation includes the following manipulations:
- Disassemble the trimmer completely;
- Thoroughly rinse and clean all elements to which there is access;
- Inspect the parts of the lawn mowers in order to identify defects (mechanical damage found in this case should be eliminated);
- Fill the gearbox with engine oil;
- Carry out high-quality cleaning from clogging of the air filter element;
- With the appropriate knowledge and practical skills, it is possible to carry out a partial disassembly of the power plant with subsequent purging and lubrication of the moving elements;
- Roll up the assembled gasoline braid with a pre-oiled rag.
In addition to everything already listed, it is necessary to lubricate the piston group. This algorithm provides for the following simple manipulations:
- Remove the candle;
- Transfer the piston to top dead center (TDC) with a starter;
- Pour a small amount of engine oil into the cylinder;
- Crank the crankshaft several times.
Regardless of the cost and brand of equipment, you should clearly follow all the requirements of the relevant instructions and adhere to the recommendations of developers and experienced specialists. Today, detailed information regarding the correct use of such equipment can be easily found on many specialized sites and forums.
Next, see how to determine and eliminate the reason why the gasoline trimmer does not start.
In a gasoline engine, finding faults should begin with spark plugs, and when a diesel engine does not start well on a cold one, the reasons should be looked for with loss of compression. It is possible to assume a loss of compression when the car starts up after acceleration by hand, and after that blue smoke is observed from the exhaust pipe for some time. Low compression can be in the event that the valve clearances are incorrectly set. Another reason. the timing belt is installed incorrectly.
If the compression is normal, you should pay more attention to the choice of high-quality fuel (its compliance with the season), fuel supply and the next reason. glow plugs.
Injector and startup problems
Problems with starting a cold injection engine
When the car cannot start on a cold (cooled engine), the injector installed on it requires a special approach to finding the reasons. In this case, first of all, you can turn your attention to the sensors. As a result of their malfunction, incorrect signals are sent to the electronic control unit. The operability of the following sensors should be checked:
- Throttle body;
- Fuel consumption;
- Coolant temperature;
- Mass air flow;
- Fuel regulator malfunctions.
On vehicles with a mechanical injector, the starting nozzle is the root cause of poor starting.
Probably, after these actions the question, “Why does my car start badly in the morning on a cold one with an injector inside?” will leave the owner of the car.
For what reasons can the car start badly on a cold
It happens that an urgent need to go to work, and the car, having stood all night, will not start. So why suddenly a completely serviceable transport after the last trip suddenly refuses to start? Or stalls, barely having time to scroll the engine? Let’s analyze the reasons why a car may not start well on a cold.
First of all, it is necessary to make a reservation. your car starts up perfectly if the engine has not had time to cool down, but in the case when the vehicle has stood until the engine has completely cooled down, starting is difficult or completely impossible. In such a situation, even modern heating and engine temperature maintenance systems do not always help. It is the situation when a cold engine does not start well and we will consider in more detail.
The main reasons for a poor start of a carburetor engine after cooling down to a cold one is the failure of the ignition distributor. It is determined by cranking the starter. it turns out that the engine does not “grab”. The next reason is the ignition coil, the serviceability of which is checked with a multimeter. The switch, distributor, or carburetor settings may also be faulty.
If a car with a carburetor is very bad to start on a cold one, or after that it starts and stalls, this indicates a breakdown of the diaphragm in the starting device.
Reasons for a problem launch
Causes of a problem starting a cold engine
When determining the reasons why the car began to start badly on a cold one, first of all, you need to make sure that the battery battery is not discharged, the starter is in good working order (it turns the engine calmly and evenly). A separate reason requiring an exception is refueling a car with low-grade gasoline. The quality of the fuel being poured has a very strong effect on the smooth start of the vehicle. If discharging of the battery is excluded, the starter is operational and the fuel is of adequate quality, the following main problems can be suspected if it is difficult to start the vehicle on a cold vehicle:
- The fuel pump is out of order;
- The fuel filter is clogged (due to poor quality fuel);
- Clogged injectors (due to fuel);
- The fuel pressure regulator malfunctioned;
- Air leaks;
- The resource of candles, ignition coils, high-voltage wires has been developed;
- Clogged idle valve;
- The MAF sensor is defective;
- Malfunction of the temperature sensor;
- Violation of valve clearances;
- Oil out of season.
Having considered the possible malfunctions, due to which the car may not start well on a cold one, we will proceed to the study of ways to detect and eliminate them.
Troubleshooting and elimination in different types of engines
Spark plug problem is a common cause of poor cold starting
Different engine types have their own fault indicators. It happens that a gasoline engine does not start well when it is cold, and one of the main ways to find out the cause of the problem is the spark plug. It can also be the reason that a diesel engine does not start well in cold weather.
The indications for checking spark plugs, battery samples, monitoring explosive wires and ignition coils are jumping speed, engine tripping and poor cold start, but only when after warming up the malfunctions pass.
Examining the spark plugs. Having unscrewed the candle, we carefully study it. If the spark plug is wet, it signals fuel overflow. Then suspicion falls on an electrical failure. We check the high-voltage wires, then we diagnose the ignition coil and the battery.
We check the performance of the candle itself: in serviceable candles there is a good spark. In case of failure of the candles, it is better to replace them with new ones. High-voltage wires can be checked using a dark room. if a glow is seen in the darkening. the wires are broken, and they must also be replaced.
Diagnostics of the causes of difficult start-up
When a car does not start well with a cold engine on a cold one, the reasons may be different.
If the indicator is a dry plug, this is a sign of a problematic fuel supply. This can happen due to clogged filters. fine and coarse cleaning. If the engine still does not start well on a cold, pay attention to the injectors.
Another characteristic feature of this malfunction is a poor start in heat with a hot engine, and in winter, problems arise with starting an already cooled device. It is possible to check whether the problem was detected correctly by reducing the pressure in the fuel line system before stopping the engine for a long time. Nozzles may be incorrectly adjusted or miss.
Additionally, we examine the fuel system for leaks, kinks or kinks. Through damage, air can leak inside and prevent the engine from starting on a cold.
It happens that the starter is in order, the candles, wires are normal, and the engine does not start. Then you need to look for the cause in the sensor that regulates the coolant or check the pressure in the fuel system.
Winter starting tips
If the car does not start well in cold weather, following simple rules can correct this situation.
- Try to keep the fuel tank full to avoid condensation and mixing of water with fuel. So the fuel quality will not deteriorate.
We carry out diagnostics of a candle and a candle channel
If the quality of the fuel mixture is not in doubt, and the lawn mower stalls when started, then a flooded spark plug may be the cause. Here, for repairs, an ordinary candle wrench is suitable (every motorist probably has) and a spare candle.
- We unscrew the candle and wipe it;
- Dry it thoroughly (do not ignite);
- We drain the excess fuel in the chamber through the spark plug hole and dry it;
- We clean the old candle from carbon deposits using a file or a lady’s file;
- We set a gap with a distance of 1 mm (you can check with any coin);
- We put everything back in place and try to start the trimmer.
It is necessary to dry the canal for at least 30–40 minutes. Otherwise, there is a risk of re-filling and a new candle.
If the candle is working, the socket where it is located is completely dry, and the lawn mower does not want to start, lubricate the threaded connection with gasoline. It should be slightly damp. No matter how wonderful a spark the candle gives out, there is simply nothing to light up in a dry chamber.
If the trimmer motor still does not start, a reason such as the absence of a spark due to poor contact between the spark plugs and the high-voltage wire should be ruled out. If the connection is of good quality, but there is still no spark, most likely, your ignition unit has “flown”. Here it will not be possible to do without a master, since the part is not repaired, but is sold as a single unit.
Cleaning the breather
Often, the engine of branded trim models stalls as a result of a clogged breather. The main task of this component is to equalize the pressure in the fuel tank. In case of contamination of the unit, a vacuum is formed here, which significantly complicates the supply of fuel. The problem can be eliminated by cleaning the breather with a regular sewing needle.
Checking the fuel mixture
Before starting the engine of the gasoline streamer, check the presence and quality of the fuel mixture. Do not save, do not be greedy and “do not be clever” in this matter. Repair or replacement of the piston group will cost you too much (sometimes up to 70% of the cost of a new tool). Prepare the oil-fuel mixture strictly according to the instructions. Calculate its amount based on real needs. Excess gasoline left over after work loses its quality over time.
Filter diagnostics for lawn mowers
Another reason why the gasoline scythe stalls is the air filter. To eliminate it, try removing the filter and starting the trimmer without it. If possible, then you will have to change the air filter to a new one, or at least blow through and thoroughly clean the old one.
The petrol trimmer may not start due to a dirty fuel filter. This is the next step in our algorithm. Here we check the condition of the filter element and, if necessary, replace it with a new one. When replacing, try not to leave the suction inlet without a filter at all, this is prohibited by any operating instructions. Haste can turn into repair of the engine piston group.
What to do when petrol trimmers won’t start?
The gasoline trimmer is a surprisingly useful tool that can be used to mow not only a miniature front lawn, but a whole lawn of considerable size. Unfortunately, there is nothing eternal in this world, and therefore you may face the fact that petrol trimmers do not start.
How to prevent sudden breakage during trimmer operation?
In order for the unit to always be in a functional state, it is worth following a few simple rules:
- Conduct a timely, regular technical inspection of the main mechanical components of the device.
- Fill the trimmer with only fresh fuel, the quality and origin of which is beyond doubt.
- After each use of the tool, check whether oxides and carbon deposits have formed on the surface of the ignition system.
- Avoid heavy load on the trimmer during work.
In order for the unit to remain in working order, it is necessary to properly prepare it for storage in the winter. First of all, you should completely disassemble the instrument, and then flush and clean the constituent elements. It is also important to inspect functional blocks for damage, if necessary, eliminating deformation of parts, all kinds of distortions, gusts of materials.
How to start diagnosing lawn mowers
If the lawn mower does not start or immediately stalls after starting, it is necessary to sequentially check all the main components and assemblies. The verification algorithm is as follows:
- Fuel tank (fuel quality);
- Candle and candle channel;
- Air filter;
- Fuel filter;
- Exhaust channel.
These nodes are most often the source of major problems that can be eliminated after a thorough inspection.
And again the carburetor.
Even if your trimmer won’t start even after such bullying, you cannot do without disassembling the carburetor. It may well be that the falling needle in it is to blame for everything. In any case, disassembling and flushing this capricious mechanism will certainly not interfere.
In general, when the trimmer began to be capricious and stall, it is advisable to carry out full prevention: completely change the fuel mixture, try a different oil, and also change the spark plug without fail. Practice shows that in many cases cheap low-quality candles are to blame.
We’ve covered the most common reasons why the trimmer won’t start. If the matter is in something more “exotic”, you cannot avoid going to the service center. You will probably find smaller and more obvious breakdowns yourself.
There are not only situations when petrol trimmers do not start, but there are cases when, after starting, they work for a couple of seconds and immediately stall. Inspect the spark plug again: if it is “thrown”, and this situation repeats even after wiping and drying it, go to the “revision” of the air filter.
Most likely, it is completely oiled and needs to be replaced. If everything is fine with the filter, it may be that the ignition coil is out of order.
In the case when the petrol trimmers do not start, and you have done all of the above, the muffler may be clogged. It must be dismantled, burned on a burner, after which all carbon deposits can be easily shaken out.
After checking the electrician and making sure that everything is in order, you should get to the power system: if the fuel comes in the wrong amount, the scooter may not start. With a large amount of fuel, the carburetor overflows, and the plug becomes wet, and if there is little fuel, there is not enough fuel for the piston to move. To do this, you need to adjust the jet, floats and needle by rearranging the stop on it. The petrol pump also does not hurt to check: sometimes it simply fails, so the fuel does not go anywhere.
Malfunctions in the power supply system
The power system may be to blame; if the piston group of the engine is in good working order, then you should check whether gasoline enters the combustion chamber or not. It is easy to check this: unscrew the candle and inspect it, if it is wet, it means that gasoline is coming in. If it’s dry, we start checking with the gas tank: first, you need to find out if there is gas there. If so, check if the tap is open. If everything is open, remove the vacuum hose and clean it with air.
If everything is in order, go to the carburetor float chamber. The bottom of the device is removable, it is usually held on by bolts. It contains a float. If the chamber is full, and gasoline does not go to the cylinder, most likely the jet is clogged. You will need to pull out the needle, remove debris, dust, all foreign particles. You can also check the scooter petal valve: they are located below the carburetor. The petals can be damaged and the scooter will not start, even if it is new. If the petals are not tight enough, the valve must be replaced. In some cases, you can bend the petals with your fingers, but this measure will not help for long. just to start the scooter several times and ride it for details.
In case of serious damage, the piston should be checked, whether it gives the desired compression ratio, the oil seals of the piston system, the CPG and the ignition system. But these reasons are more likely inherent in old technology, which was not looked after properly.
Why a scooter does not start well when cold, let’s figure it out together
A four-stroke scooter is a loyal assistant for many owners, which is used at any time of the year. Therefore, you can often face a problem when the scooter does not start well on a cold one or does not want to start in winter. This is due to a number of reasons that you can eliminate yourself. Most often, the problem lies in the ignition system, the power system can fail, air leaks cannot be ruled out, but this problem occurs somewhat less often. From this article, you will learn how to identify and solve the problem, make the scooter start immediately and in any weather.
Starting a scooter in cold weather may not always work out due to various factors. First of all, do not torment the equipment if it does not start right away. Check the following:
- Battery condition. If its charge is less than 12 A, the starter will not work. The normal voltage should be 14.5, this can be checked with a voltmeter. Try to start the scooter with a kickstarter.
- No spark. If the scooter was working fine but then stopped starting, you should check for a spark. To do this, remove the candle and check its condition. Problem could also be coil or commutator.
- The technician may not be satisfied with the quality of gasoline.
- The malfunction may be hidden in the power system. If the scooter does not start well when cold, try adjusting the carburetor.
The entire ignition system must be checked if the spark was, and then disappeared. If the candle and coil are normal, but there is still no spark, you will have to check more thoroughly. A coil, a generator winding, a switch falls under suspicion. A multimeter can check all this: for example, they test the generator like this. one probe is connected to the engine crankcase, the second to the generator sensor.
The resistance of a good sensor is 500 ohms. If the value is higher, the winding is faulty, if it is below 200 Ohm, the matter is in the coil.
No spark in the spark plug
First of all, it is worth checking the candles if the moped does not want to start.
If there is a spark, and its color is yellow, then you need to put a new candle, yours is already of little use for use. The normal spark is blue and continuous.
If the coil is new, like the candles, and there is no spark, it is still worth checking the following:
- Oxidation of electrical wires contacts. They will need to be stripped, for example, the wires going to the battery are often oxidized.
- No spark on the wire. This means that somewhere there is a bare wire that touches an ungrounded metal part, because of this, a spark does not appear, since the current does not reach the coil. Check wiring.
- The switch can also fail. This is an inexpensive part that should always be kept in stock.
Checking basic systems
In order to understand why the scooter won’t start, the problem must be looked for sequentially:
- Start with the simplest. check the battery charge, if it is normal, proceed further.
- Check if the scooter has gas, forgetting to refuel is easy.
- See if gasoline goes into the carburetor.
- Unscrew the candle, inspect it and check if there is a spark.
- If the candle is in order, check the coil as described above by turning the starter with the candle removed.
- We check the coil and wiring with a multimeter, there may be an open circuit.
- Clean the carburetor and adjust it correctly.
If the scooter won’t start on a cold
What else to do to start the scooter, you can learn from the following roller:
Conclusion: having studied the reasons why the scooter does not start, you can calculate them yourself and eliminate them at home. If there is no serious breakdown, such as a piston failure, the repair will take a few minutes.