What a metal saw looks like. Metal cutting circular saws
Blade hacksaw: types and features
Metal hacksaw consists of a machine (frame) to which the hacksaw (saw) blade is attached. Cutting (sawing) is performed by the saw blade. The properties of the blade are determined by the shape, size, hardness and durability of the teeth, as well as the resistance of the blade itself to different kinds of loads. The hacksaw machine creates the conditions necessary for the correct operation of the blade (first of all, it ensures its sufficient tension) and for the application of muscular force. Some designs machines can be used to store spare blades.
Handheld hacksaw blades differ in their application. Most blades are designed for mild or unhardened steel. Special blades for working in hard materials, non-ferrous metals and wood are also available.
Tool Review. Evolution Heavy Duty Metal Cutting Circular Saw
A typical hand hacksaw blade is a thin, narrow strip with two holes in its ends for machine attachment and with teeth on one side. Sometimes there are blades with cutting teeth of the same or different sizes formed on both sides of the blade.
One of the basic parameters of a hacksaw blade that determines its performance. The hardness of its teeth. For blades made of steel, it must be at least 61. 64 HRc. To guarantee this hardness, the blade must be made of steel with a carbon content of about one percent and suitably heat treated.
The simplest machine with a horizontal wooden handle
Represents an old and uncomfortable design. Horizontal positioning of the handle causes the hand to twist forward, which leads to rapid fatigue. The frame is made of a one-piece rectangular strip. To tension the blade, either the thumbscrew at the front of the frame or the handle, which rotates along its longitudinal axis, is used. As a rule, such hacksaws allow to turn the blade by 90° by rearrangement of square cross-section fingers to which the blade is fastened in the square holes in the front and back of the frame. The finger and the hole on one side may be round, then the fixation of the cloth at the desired angle is made only on one side, but with a normally stretched cloth it is quite enough. Machines similar in design are also produced under the blades with a length of 150 mm.
Metal hacksaw blades. narrow band saw blades with thin teeth. They are easily recognized by the frame, similar to the letters C and P, on which the hacksaw blade is tensioned. Older models have handles (positioned parallel to the blade). Retrofitted models already have a “pistol-grip” handle.
Saws for working with wood are considered to be the most common type of tool. Used for sawing plywood, a variety of wooden building materials. Equipped with slightly beveled working surfaces, where sawing teeth are attached to the side.
Saws for concrete materials. can be visually confused with a joiner’s saw. Distinguishing features. large serrations. There are models with tungsten carbide tips. This allows you to saw not only foam blocks, but also sandcrete materials.
Tool selection criteria
Choosing the right tool for the job is only possible if you consider a number of criteria.
Shape and pitch of the teeth
Tooth shape can be varied depending on the inclination of the cutting element at the front. The tooth pitch can determine the hardness and thickness of the material to be cut.
Measure the number of teeth per millimeter of the saw blade. During the operation of the tool, 2-3 teeth are used in parallel. Hacksaw teeth point away from the saw.
Material and blade
Among the common choices of material that is used to make hacksaws are aluminum, asbestos, bronze, hard rubber, brass, copper, plastic, cast iron and steel.
Blade for metal hacksaw should be selected according to the size and volume of workpieces. On average, the length of the blade is from 300 to 700 millimeters. The flat teeth of the blade must be present.
When bending, the surface of the saw should return to its original state. If there are cracks or even the slightest traces of rust on the blade, you should refuse to buy such a hacksaw.
It is worth refraining from buying a tool with a hollow handle, because even the slightest pressure, there is a high probability of breakage.
It is preferable to take the tool in your hands and hold it. The handle must be fully encompassed by the hand, you need to control that the fingers do not cross, thus interfering with each other.
If you follow all the presented rules, the metal hacksaw will last for many years, the main thing is to replace the blades in time and correctly select the pitch between the teeth. Economical owners even leave old hacksaw blades, and then use them to make many tools needed in the home.
How to choose the right hacksaw for metal
To choose the best metal hacksaw, you need to pay special attention to the following tool criteria:
- Tooth shapes.
- Tooth pitch. An important criterion by which the degree of hardness and thickness of the material to be cut with the tool is determined. The pitch must be chosen depending on the material to be sawed as well as its dimensions. The more teeth, the faster the cut.
- Blade length. Chosen according to the size of the frame you have for fixing it.
- Handle. The handle must be comfortable and lie perfectly in the brush.
- Manufacturer. Major manufacturers of metal saws: Truper, BAHCO, Irwin, Stanley and others. It is important not only what is the name of the hacksaw, but also the reliability of the design and the convenience of its use.
- . For home use, you can choose a cheaper model.
Summarizing, what a hacksaw to buy, it should be noted that the product should be convenient and at the same time of high quality, otherwise it will not cope with even the simplest tasks.
Bosh GSA 10.8 V-LI
Saber type model with stepless speed control. Increase speed with “start button”. Cordless electric sabre saw works.
the tool is equipped with an indicator that signals a possible overload during operation. The depth of penetration depends on the density of the metal. For metal pipes. 50 mm.
The disadvantage. limited battery capacity time.
|Vladimir T.||Sergey I.|
|Convenient to work, lightweight tool. Even a woman can cope with it.||I like that the electric sander has a spare battery. Powerful, despite its small size.|
Inexpensive model of the saber type. Has stepless speed control and a quick-action chuck. Refers to the professional tool, but can be used in the home for cutting metal and wood.
Thanks to a good insulation, the electric sander can be used for work in explosive atmospheres.
Design features of a hacksaw for metal
Widespread use is largely determined by the device of a hacksaw for metal. It is represented by a C-shape, between the two edges of which there is a special blade. When considering what the tool consists of, let us note the following:
- Handle. Metal hacksaw handles today are in most cases made of two different components that ensure a long service life. Form should be comfortable enough, and the element is placed at the top of the construction or on the side. Top-mounted handle in most cases is used when hard-to-reach areas need to be machined.
- Frame. It is designed to take the load, as well as damping of vibration at the time of the work. Today, various materials are used in the production of these tool elements. In order to work hard to reach places the construction often has an element that makes it possible to adjust the inclination of the blade. The frame is available as a single piece or sliding frame, with the latter option permitting installation in a variety of lengths.
- The blade is represented by a hard-alloy strip. This element is considered the thinnest and most fragile, represented by a combination of small teeth arranged relative to each other at a certain distance and angle. You should be careful at the time of the work, as even minor errors can cause damage. When selecting, attention is paid to the fact that the surface must be hardened, because otherwise the required level of durability cannot be provided. To increase productivity, a blade with a sparse tooth is chosen; to increase the quality of the cut, a blade with a fine tooth is chosen. Bimetallic blade has recently become widespread.
The design features of the metal hacksaw determine the very wide distribution of the tool. The main part defines the duration of use and other points, the cutting speed and quality of cut depends on the blade fitted.
Tooth pitch can also vary. This indicator of the hacksaw blade determines:
Milwaukee Metal Cutting Circular Saw (Cut Anything Metal!!)
A fine pitch produces a quality cut when working with different alloys.
Removal of chips from the cutting zone is carried out by a certain setting of the cutting edge. As previously noted, according to this criterion, there are several variants of performance:
Attention is also paid to the direction of the teeth. The installation of the blade is carried out with this parameter in mind.
Today, many manufacturers of tools specialize in the production of hacksaw blades. In this case domestic products are much cheaper, foreign products are more expensive, but have better performance characteristics. than one piece is required for long-term operation, as it can wear out at a high rate.
Additional technical options
These options do not affect the power or depth of cut, but can significantly improve the convenience of working with a metal cutting machine with an abrasive disc:
- Waste bag or container.
- Additional articulated joint on lever. Allows for vertical tilting of the blade up to 45°.
- Attachment of the head to the sliding console. Gives you the ability to work on larger widths of wood.
- Remote work area illumination on a flexible base.
- Laser sight that illuminates the cutting line for the trimmer.
- Millimeter scale on the work table.
Metal band saw VB 410 with remote working area illumination
In addition, not full-fledged cut-off saws are available on the market, but frames with articulated arms that include a mount for an angle grinder.