What Is A Miter Saw For
How to make a trimming from a manual circular at home This material describes what trimming there are, from which they are assembled. How does manual circular trimming work.
How to make a trimming from a hand circular at home
Hello dear readers and subscribers of Andrey Noak’s blog. In this article, I will tell you how to make a trimming device for your home purposes from a manual circular, while spending a minimum of money on manufacturing. Trimming from manual circular. A good helper in your household, with which you can do “very big things”!
I consider it inappropriate to focus on the term “circular”, since everyone already knows firsthand what kind of device it is, and there are enough thematic materials in my blog. I will try to tell you what a miter saw is and convey as much useful information as possible for a visual presentation.
Cross-sections are divided into the following types:
- With a broach.
The pendulum facing is the following design. The base of any machine is the bed. A table is fixed on it, which in turn is made on a rotary mechanism with a ruler. This device solves the problem of setting the cutting angle with its adjustment.
The cutting angle can be adjusted by moving the work table relative to the plane of the bed. The saw element is secured with a lever and is spring loaded with a hinge. The pendulum moves the saw in the vertical direction.
As for the variant of the combined model, the cutting angle can be changed, if necessary, in two directions. The device is the same as that of a pendulum saw, only an additional hinge has been added to the design. As for the change in the angle of cut in the horizontal plane, then it can be changed in the horizontal direction, which in turn is opposite from the mounted drive.
The feed saw makes it possible to move the cutting element both around the axis of the pivot mechanism and in the forward direction along the cut. This is achieved thanks to the installed guides (pictured below).
For convenience on a miter saw, operators use a special device for miter saws on a circular, called a miter box. An uncomplicated structure, which consists of a tray for boards, a pressing sheet of plywood or other material, clamping fixing elements (clamps, etc.). How does this device work? I will try to answer this banal question simply and clearly.
The board is placed in a tray and pressed against a chipboard sheet. It is fixed with a clamp and a hand saw, circular, an angle grinder is sawing workpieces through special side slots. Often, a miter box is used to cut material at an angle of 45-90 degrees in home workshops on circulars. With this device, you can quickly cut the board into a pallet or board.
After all the information, you have an idea of what trimming is and what it is for. Next, I will tell you how to make a trimming from a hand circular from scrap materials with your own hands.
The base of the structure was a box made of chipboard. Has a “P”.Shaped. It is knocked down and held together by confirmants. To prevent displacement of this shelf, it is fastened with clamps to the working table (workbench).
The base for the saw is screwed onto the shelf from above. Fasteners are also carried out by confirmants. We observe the perpendicularity of the planes, since the sole of the saw will be leveled along the edge.
We level the saw sole along the edge. This will prevent shifting and fidgeting. On the sides we fasten the strips of chipboard with screws. In this way, positioning of the sole is achieved.
The saw is secured with clamps and clamps. Thumb clamps can be made. Here is such a device for trimming on a circular in this version turned out. Such a device is called by the people “Foreman”.
Next to the base, fix the “table” base to the table. The only drawback is that the cutting depth is reduced by 15 mm. Therefore, you have to place the profile as close as possible to the saw sole.
After making a test cut, we get the cutting line based on the stop. Thus, we managed to design a circular trimming with our own hands. This design of the device copes with the task one hundred percent. If, nevertheless, you cannot design this type of equipment, or you simply don’t have time to do it, you can use the services of renting a circular with trimming at affordable in specialized workshops.
Another good tool for working with wood is a thickness gauge. What is it? It can be divided into two types. Manual and in the form of a full-fledged thicknessing machine. As a rule, the manual version is only needed to transfer the data from the drawing to the real material and workpieces.
As for the thicknessing machine, it, in turn, is more functional. In addition to transferring information, you can carry out full processing of workpieces. Such equipment is purchased by furniture factories, and can be found in everyday life during the construction of private facilities. It looks like a thickness gauge with a circular and trimming, I attach a photo below:
As for the usual planer device, it also consists of three parts. Carrying column with a ruler, a clamping device and a device for marking the part. They are usually made of hard wood material.
Now let’s talk about professional equipment. Consider circular crosscutting BISON ZPTP-255-1800. The tool is used for sawing wooden parts and thin-walled metal. Why combined? This is because it can be used both to trim workpieces and to work as a circular machine.
The main advantages of the model:
- Safety system.
This machine combines trimming and circular cutting at the same time. The positioning of the adjustable head allows for high quality cuts. The machine allows you to perform longitudinal cuts at any given angle. The equipment is equipped with a mechanism for blocking the drive engagement and lifting the protective cover. This model has the ability to connect an industrial vacuum cleaner to maintain cleanliness at the workplace.
Another good option from all the gray mass of equipment is the Makita MLT100 table miter saw.
It is used both in everyday life and in professional production in workshops, workshops. The design of the machine allows you to move it on a special trolley and can be easily mounted in the designated place on the workbench. The sliding table allows you to work with dimensional workpieces. The table can be turned both to the side and forward. The long service life of this equipment is increased due to the high quality of parts and materials used in the assembly.
Allows you to cut both vertically and at a given slope. High accuracy of cutting of parts is due to the presence of clamps, guides, scales with degrees and a ruler. The equipment combines trimming and circular cutting at the same time.
Electric brake included. There is a connector for connecting a dust removal device, which is important for large volumes of work.
Electric miter saw: nuances and selection criteria
The question of how to choose a miter saw can be solved by adhering to five small rules.
- First, you must decide on its purpose and operating conditions. What do you need it for? What kind of work, and most importantly, how much do you plan to do with it? If you purchase a miter saw for home use and do not plan to perform complex operations, then it is quite possible to get by with a simple tool with a basic set of additional functions. If we are talking about the professional use of a miter saw and its daily use, then, of course, you need to choose an extended version of this tool with a full set of additional options. You can consider purchasing a so-called combined miter saw, which is equipped with an additional work table in the upper part of the cutting head, allowing it to be used as a stationary circular saw.
How to choose a miter saw
Naturally, when choosing a miter saw, it will not be superfluous to take into account the power of this tool, as well as the speed of rotation of the blade. In most cases, these values are calculated by the manufacturer and are optimal. A household tool will have a lower power than a professional one, but the rotational speed of the disk is almost always the same, which is due to the need to make a clean and even cut.
Miter saw: device, purpose and capabilities
A manual miter saw has a narrow purpose, and you are unlikely to be able to unfold boards with its help. Her tasks are slightly different. She can perform extremely short cuts. With its help, you can cut the board in half, align its end or cut the end of the board at a certain angle. That, in principle, is all that she can, but, believe me, this is a lot. Other saw equipment copes with such tasks much worse. Oh yes, I completely forgot that in addition to wood, depending on the equipment used, the miter saw can work with soft metals, plastic and, if necessary, with thin sheet iron, or rather with a profile made of it.
Miter saw capabilities
The universal miter saw has a rather complex design. It consists of two main units, which are not at all simple in design. This is a bed on which a rotary table and a movable cutting head are fixed with a powerful electric motor.
- Bed with a rotary table. As a rule, these two parts cannot do without each other. There is a guide on the bed itself, which ensures a fixed position of the workpiece. The miter saw table itself can be rotated relative to the guide within 90˚ (45˚ in one direction and 45˚ in the other direction), thus providing a simple trimming of the workpiece in any direction without reinstalling the part.
- Cutting head. Installed directly on the turntable. It changes its location with it. For ease of use, a graduated scale is applied to the side of the rotary table on the bed. By aligning the table mark with a certain degree value, you can make cuts at any angle. And that’s not all. The head itself, or rather its cutting part, can tilt to the left and right, thereby providing an oblique cut. In most cases, this tilt is performed in one or two fixed positions (30˚ and 45˚ to either side). Also, some models may be equipped with a special broaching mechanism. The miter saw with a broach allows you to cut workpieces much wider than its ordinary counterpart.
Miter saw: device, selection principles and discs used for work
Cutting finishing materials at an angle is, frankly, not an easy task, and almost all people have problems with its solution. Meanwhile, most of the finishing materials require just such an approach to their installation, for example, lining, skirting boards, baguettes and even metal structures assembled from a profile pipe. In general, there are many such materials, and their diagonal cutting has to be solved, sometimes even with very high accuracy. In this article, along with stroisovety.Org, we will explore a tool such as a miter saw to help you tackle the task of diagonal trimming. We will familiarize ourselves with the structure of this tool, the evaluation criteria, which will allow us to purchase a model suitable for work, and we will deal with the saw blades used with this tool.
- Scheppach Germany
- Stark Germany
- Aeg tool
- Intertool tool
- Agp tool and equipment
The base of the miter saw with a broach, the saw table and its turning angles.
The support part of the device is a thick-walled cast aluminum base with a high-quality milled surface. The cheapest models also have a massive, but plastic base with a stamped steel pad.
There is a marking scale in its front part. The numbers can be cast on the case or printed on a steel ruler.
In the lower part there are ebbs with holes for stationary rigid attachment to the workbench and supporting stops that increase the tool’s resistance to tipping.
When using a miter saw with a broaching function, the saw unit not only rises, falls, tilts, but also moves along the guides; the center of gravity is constantly changing.
Supports are arranged at the front to support the turntable clamping handle and at the rear. They can be made in one piece with the base and in the form of folding brackets.
Rectangular or trapezoidal element with one beveled part, which serves as a stop for the workpiece. It is realized in the form of two parts; often with scales that guide the length when cutting short workpieces or as a solid part of the base (budget versions).
On some devices, they slide along the grooves to the side to free up space for the rig when pushed.
Serves for better positioning of long boards. On inexpensive angle cutters, they have a U-shape bent upward, made of a steel bar or tubes with a diameter of 8 to 12 mm.
For professional miter saws for wood, the end ends with an aluminum support or steel profile, with a fine adjustment mechanism to form one plane with the work table.
They are inserted into the holes on the sides of the support and are fixed with a spring-loaded mechanism or threaded clamps. Easily removed during transportation.
Clamping device for workpieces.
Rigid fixation of the board avoids vibration transmitted from the bed, improves positioning accuracy and protects the worker.
It is carried out with clamps of various shapes and designs (threaded, stepped, hinged), acting vertically (to the base) or horizontally (to the stop).
Miter saw rotary table.
By pulling the spring-loaded handle of the angle lock, you can move the saw head horizontally to the left or right, which is rigidly connected to the rotary table. This means that when lowering, the rig will always hit and sink into the slots. The immersion depth in the groove can be adjusted with a stopper.
The elongated protrusion with such a slot, extending from the round section, is much longer 280-340 mm for broached end faces compared to 80-180 mm for a tool without such an opportunity.
Most corner cutters rotate 45 ° to either side for facing. But there are models that have the maximum left / right shift: 47 ° / 47 °; 45 ° / 47 °; 47 ° / 60 °. Such small deviations from the “half perpendicular” serve to fit the timber and boards in place.
Fitting the moving parts of a good saw should ensure that a given angle is accurately repeatable, i.E. When scrolling the turntable and returning to the previous position, the cut angle will not differ.
Rotation is performed by unlocking the handle, or, in its absence, by unscrewing the locking screw and aligning the pointer with the scale readings. It is convenient when there are many fixed values: 5; ten; 15; 22.5; thirty; 35; 40; 45 degrees.
The advantages of this class of instruments are their compactness, portability and accuracy. This saw is used when working with wood, plastic and aluminum profiles. Since the perfect fit of elements is very important for the beautiful appearance of furniture, as well as doors and window frames, miter saws are most often used in the furniture industry.
They are also relevant for any woodworking. They can also be seen in the baguette production, two in the process of trimming the ends of complex aluminum structures. In general, wherever there is a need for precise cutting of parts at any angle, convenient and functional trimming is used. For household work, they always take devices of a simpler design and smaller dimensions. But they will also help you quickly sheathe the wall with clapboard, install windows and doors, carefully lay parquet, laminate.
Features and capabilities
The practical capabilities of a miter saw include:
- Table rotation mechanism. Rotating the work table is responsible for setting the cutting angle. The limit value may differ depending on the model and manufacturer. Standard rotation angle. 45 degrees. But there are saws that can rotate up to 62 degrees, and this allows you to work even with the most complex curly materials;
- Inclined cut. Cutting the material at any angle in the vertical plane is a functional feature of each trimming. It is she who contributes to the fact that trimming has become one of the most demanded tools. To reduce the cost of construction, budget models have been developed with an inclination only in one direction, which slightly limits the functionality and this, in principle, is enough for small household chores or repairs. But, as a rule, professionals acquire trimming with an inclination in both directions (right-left). This greatly expands the capabilities of the machine and there is no need to twist the workpiece in different directions during the work. Inclined cut in such devices is available within 45-47 degrees;
- Broach function (radial cantilever). The miter saw motor is installed on special guides, which allows you to move across the workpiece itself and enable cutting along a length of up to 340 mm. This is about twice that of conventional miter saws;
- The presence of a top table. The upper table turns the tool into a versatile tool. Longitudinal and transverse cutting of the bars is performed on it. You get two functions. Facing and sawing. It is very convenient for small workshops, where it is impossible to place two machines or for an installation, when it is not convenient to take two machines at the same time;
- The presence of a laser. The laser miter saw is handy when working with complex plywood workpieces where high precision is required. The glowing laser beam indicates the line to be cut;
- The presence of a belt drive. This type of gearbox allows for a high level of cutting precision and minimizes backlash. This type practically does not fail and is characterized by ease of operation;
- Cutting line lighting. Practical and convenient illumination of the working area is essential for maximum precision. This parameter helps to achieve a neat cut at any angle;
- Dust removal function. Most models have a dust removal function, but it’s worth noting that it cleans about 70%. Therefore, experienced builders recommend using special construction vacuum cleaners;
- Reliable and sophisticated electronics help to achieve maximum cutting accuracy by showing the angles of turns and tilts. The digital display shows the exact angle of rotation and angle of inclination in degrees. But the electronics do not affect the stabilization of the device (this function is only available for some models of certain brands).
Features of the structure
Crosscutting is practically a circular saw. It has a not too complicated design. It consists of two working units: a cutting part and an electric drive. In general, this is a frame to which the cutting head of a device with a saw blade is hinged. The mount differs in that it is pendulum. The cutting disc swings like a rocker, allowing you to set the desired angle in the horizontal plane, as well as the required tilt in the vertical plane. The types of miter saws are quite different, they differ in functions and capabilities that greatly facilitate the work of the joiner, furniture maker and builder.