Which Angle Grinder To Choose For The Home
The main characteristics and types of grinders
The main characteristics of grinders are the maximum size of the grinding or cut-off wheel and power. The diameter of the working discs ranges from 115 mm (for household tools) to 230 mm (for professional grinders). According to this parameter, there is a conditional classification of these instruments:
- An angle grinder for a disc with a diameter of 115 mm is used for grinding and small precision cutting work;
- 125 mm is the most common size. Best suited for housework or cottage work. Discs and brushes of any functionality in this size are most commonly found on the market;
- An angle grinder for a 150 mm wheel is a cross between professional and household tools;
- 180 mm. Semi-professional class, used for cutting thick workpieces and profiles;
- 230 mm, angle grinders for this disc size are not suitable for small jobs. They are used for large-scale construction and repair work.
There is also a pneumatic angle grinder. They are capable of long-term operation without overheating, they are mainly used in industry.
The speed and torque directly depend on the size of the disc. With an increase in the diameter of the circle, the rotation speed decreases, the power and torque of the grinders increase.
The power of the angle grinders on the market ranges from 500W to 3KW. The harder the material, the longer and more difficult the work, the more powerful the angle grinder should be chosen. As a rule, a tool with a power of 1000 to 1500 W is sufficient for a summer residence and at home.
A distinction is also made between mains and cordless angle grinders. The latter are used in conditions where there is no electricity or it is difficult to connect to the network. For example, for work on the road or at height. Cordless tools have several serious drawbacks, their weight is much greater than that of network counterparts, and the continuous operation time is also short. If conditions permit, it is better to purchase an angle grinder with a mains or combined power supply for a summer residence and at home.
How to choose an angle grinder for a summer residence
Angle grinder (angle grinder), otherwise called angle grinder. A multifunctional tool, is used for cutting and grinding work with almost any material, of a wide variety of shapes and thicknesses. Easily handles PVC, metal, stone, slate, ceramics, roof tiles, finishing tiles, wood and others. Convenience, versatility, compactness made these tools almost indispensable in everyday life, in the repair and construction of a house, in the country.
The choice of discs for grinders
Choosing the right disk functionality is equally important. The following types are used in angle grinders:
- Cutting wheels for metal work;
- Cutting discs for wet and dry stone cutting;
- Circles for dry stone work;
- Combined diamond discs for cutting finishing tiles;
- Wire brushes made of metal, disc and bowl shapes;
- Lobe-type circles;
- Discs for wet stone work.
What to look for when buying an angle grinder
- To begin with, evaluate the entire range of work for which it is supposed to use an angle grinder. For home and summer cottages, where you often have to perform work of various profiles and deal with various materials, it is better to purchase a tool with the ability to smoothly adjust the speed. This angle grinder is the most versatile;
- A good quality tool should be able to quickly and easily change working discs. If you have to change wheels often, then it is better to give preference to an angle grinder, where it is possible to replace the wheel without using a key;
- The angle grinder must be equipped with electronic and mechanical safety systems. A protective casing is mandatory, it protects the operator from flying sparks, dust, abrasive particles, disc fragments. Modern models often provide the ability to mount the casing in different positions.
- High and medium power angle grinders are equipped with a soft start system. The tool smoothly, without jerking, picks up speed, the electric motor and the network are not affected by high starting currents;
- If the blade is jammed, the angle grinder will be pulled out of the operator’s hands, this can cause serious injury. It is recommended to choose a tool with anti-jamming protection, then in the event of an emergency, the electric motor is automatically de-energized. In this case, the spindle continues its rotation, excluding the kickback;
- Electronic stabilization of speed under load improves processing quality and increases productivity. Most professional tools are equipped with this system;
- Pay particular attention to the presence of protection against secondary starting. In the event of a sudden power outage, the angle grinder must be protected against unintentional restarting. The tools of well-known companies are often equipped with a shutdown system in case of significant wear of the electric motor brushes and protection against the secondary start of the rotating collector. Professional tools are protected against overheating of the windings. The machine either shuts down or a warning light or LED comes on to indicate that the motor is too hot. The system of protection against accidental activation, which today almost all angle grinders are equipped with, is implemented using a duplicate key, it must be pressed simultaneously with the start button;
- When choosing a tool for a summer residence and at home, one should take into account the ergonomics and individual characteristics of the operator. All adjusting devices, on (off) buttons should be located conveniently. It is preferable to choose a tool equipped with anti-vibration mushroom-shaped operating handles made of rubberized material, with special recesses for the fingers. Many firms produce models for left-handers, where the controls and operating handles are mirrored;
- An angle grinder is a tool that works with a significant load. Angle grinders designed for long-term continuous operation must have good heat dissipation. This is realized by blowing off the electric motor and other components subject to heating. For better heat dissipation, some angle grinders are made in metal cases. The material is usually aluminum alloys;
- The working disc wears out unevenly, vibration inevitably occurs during long-term operation. This leads to a significant deterioration in the quality of processing. It is better to buy an angle grinder with a system of anti-vibration protection and disk balancing;
- If you have to work with stone, concrete, asbestos cement and other materials that generate a large amount of dust, it is recommended to choose specialized models. Electric motors, gearboxes, gears and other mechanical and electrical components of these tools are protected from abrasive dust;
- Models with one and two handles are produced. For a summer residence and at home, it is better to give preference to the option with two handles. This angle grinder is easier to hold in various positions and more comfortable;
- Before choosing a tool, it is best to compare several options. Ask for passport data, pay attention to the warranty period provided by the manufacturer. Be sure to hold it in your hands, run at idle speed. Evaluate the convenience, the viewing area, identify the presence of vibrations, extraneous noise. Check the complete set, availability of additional devices;
- Pay attention to the possibility of self-replacement of the collector brushes. This will reduce repair costs;
- For work on a personal plot and at home, it is usually recommended to purchase an angle grinder of a household or semi-professional class made in Japan, the USA, and Russia. These machines are reliable, have enough power reserve for housework and summer cottages.
information about choosing grinders for summer cottages and houses at:
: How to Pick a Great Cheap Angle Grinder
An angle grinder (angle grinder), consisting of a motor and an abrasive wheel, appeared in the USSR in the 1970s. The tool was supplied by the Republic of Bulgaria, so the people called it an “angle grinder”. The modern angle grinder is used wherever hard materials are required: leveling concrete and stone, cutting metal and asbestos-cement, sanding wood and plastic. What are the parameters for choosing the right tool for working at home and in the country?
Photo gallery: rated angle grinder
How to choose an angle grinder for your home or garden correctly
In order to make the right choice of a grinding machine that meets all the necessary requirements, it is necessary to determine the tasks that will be assigned to it. Most importantly: determine what you will cut with the angle grinder, and how often.
As practice shows, household angle grinders with a working disc size of 125 mm and a power of up to 1.5 kW are best suited for home and summer cottages. Such machines are lightweight and lightweight, easy to operate, equipped with additional features. For a wheel diameter of 125 mm, many additional attachments have been released, which turn the angle grinder into a universal tool.
The table shows the comparative characteristics of some brands of angle grinder from different companies on the electric tool market.
Table: technical data of angle grinders with a disc diameter of 125 mm
|Model||LNA 125 / 750K||angle grinder-90125||AG9512||RSHU-125||USM 600A|
|Warranty period, months||12||7||7||12||12|
|Service life, years||3||3||3||ten||n.D.|
|Voltage, V||220 ± 10%||230||230||220|
: choosing an angle grinder for home and work
Important conditions when working with an angle grinder
Regardless of the experience, professionalism and complexity of the upcoming work, the master must comply with safety rules when working with an angle grinder.
- Do not remove the guard from the tool. It protects the operator from splinters in the event of a damaged blade, as well as from flying off products of grinding and sawing.
- Use personal protective equipment. Goggles (mask), respirator, heavy gloves, work clothes and shoes.
- Only use discs of suitable dimensions and properties for the angle grinder.
- Do not use the tool for other purposes.
How to choose the right angle grinder for your home
Whatever you call an angle grinder, it will still remain an indispensable mechanical tool for a master for most areas:
- Car service;
- Construction of houses and buildings;
- Indoor renovation;
- Repair and replacement of pipes, heating equipment;
- Locksmith works. Manufacture of structures, manufacture of metal products.
The invaluable help that a standard angle grinder provides is known to every craftsman. After all, an angle grinder with correctly selected attachments is a versatile set of functions that performs at least 5 different tasks.
In this article, we will get acquainted with the types of angle grinder and selection criteria. Find out how to choose an angle grinder for your home and daily locksmiths.
Types of attachments for an angle grinder: dimensions, material, purpose
The capabilities of the tool depend on which attachment you install on the grinder. For the standard angle grinder, you can purchase attachments for grinding and cutting materials such as:
Abrasive cut-off discs. Designed for cutting and, depending on the type of disc, can cut metal, stone, concrete, wood, ceramic tiles.
Roughing wire brush based discs are suitable for cleaning surfaces from old paint, rust, etc.
Grinding. Flap or emery for fine cleaning, grinding.
Polishing. Textile, fur, felt, suitable for polishing after painting, to give shine.
Sharpening. They are used for quick and elementary sharpening of cutting tools, blades.
Features of household and professional grinders
As a rule, the choice of an angle grinder for home use is not difficult, because they differ in minimal characteristics:
- Affordable price (up to 1000 UAH);
- Lightweight body, weight up to 2.5 kg;
- Do not create overloads in the power grid;
- Minimum power 500-900 W;
- The minimum size of removable discs 115. 125 mm for simple work;
- The optimal duration of one session of work is 15 minutes.
Professional angle grinders have a longer resource, as well as a number of additional functions and characteristics:
- Power the profile angle grinder reaches 2.5 kW;
- Disk size 150, 180 and 230 mm;
- Duration session of work 30 minutes or more, depending on the model.
If the master is just starting to delve into the details of a professional tool, it will be more difficult for him to determine which angle grinder is better and choose a model with optimal parameters.
Choosing a professional angle grinder
In this section you will learn about important additions to the functionality of the angle grinder. They will help you understand which angle grinder to choose, which add-ons will be useful for your work, and which will be superfluous.
Grips. There can be two of them in professional models. The more elements to hold the tool, the more accurate and safe its work.
Soft start of the motor. The speed of rotation of the disk increases smoothly, without sudden “jerks” for the safety of engine elements.
Disk auto-balancing. Reduces the intensity of tool vibrations that occur when using an unevenly worn disc.
Anti-vibration coatinge. The goal is the same, vibration reduction. Coating is applied to body parts, main or auxiliary handle.
Power adjustment (rotation speed). Can be automatic and manual. Automatic adds value to the tool, but extends the operational life.
Anti-dust protection prevents the ingress of abrasive particles, dust and chips into the system. In some models, you can additionally connect a construction vacuum cleaner, then the operator’s organs will be safe, and the workplace will be clean and tidy.
Fixing the main button tool. Relevant for long-term work, the operator presses the start button once, and he does not need to hold it stably to rotate the disc.
Power off with a sharp cutoff of electricity supply. This will protect the workplace when the tool is turned on and will ensure the safety of the device’s motor elements. With an emergency power off, the angle grinder also automatically shuts off.
Brief theoretical information about the angle grinder: full name, main differences, types
The types of grinders are divided into just two categories:
As a rule, household ones are the simplest models with a minimum of functions and low performance. Professional. On the contrary, have a multifunctional set of characteristics and differ in power limits.
The principle of operation of the angle grinder is based on the rotation of the rotor of the motor, which works when connected to electricity.
Depending on the disc installed on the angle grinder, the grinder differs in the scope of application:
- For cutting sheet metal;
- For stripping surfaces from corrosion, old coating;
- For stripping welds;
- For cutting concrete;
- For cutting stone;
- For cutting wood.
In addition, the angle grinder is used for cutting pipes, metal profile, ceramic tiles.
Types of attachments for angle grinders
Grinding wheels (abrasive) for an angle grinder at the moment there are a lot. Distinguish:
- Cut-off bakelite discs
- Diamond discs (cups and crowns).
- Scrubbing brushes (bowl and radial)
- Flap discs.
When choosing a blade, pay attention to the dimensions and maximum speed of the cutting edge. Buy only specialized tooling!
Angle Grinder Speed and Disc Sizes
The power of an angle grinder affects not only its size, weight and price, but also the rotational speed and diameter of the cut-off wheels. Shown below are the dimensions of the discs and the rpm required for them to function correctly.
- 115 mm. 13,290 rpm
- 125 mm. 12 230 rpm;
- 150 mm. 10190 rpm;
- 180 mm. 8490 rpm;
- 230 mm. 6650 rpm.
The larger the diameter, the lower the rotation speed of the disc.
Most users choose an angle grinder with 900W motor power and 125mm wheel diameter. These parameters are suitable for both everyday life and for complex tasks. You can work with sheet metal, cut metal profiles, work with stone, cut tiles, grind surfaces.
What other design possibilities are there?
The following additional functions are also distinguished, the presence of which is due to the price of the instrument.
- Key or keyless spindle. The latter is found on professional angle grinders. Removable by hand, no tools required.
- Adjustment of the protective casing for budget models is carried out using a screwdriver or hexagon. In more expensive models, manufacturers install a button under the casing.
- Some angle grinders have speed control.
- Temperature-responsive overload protection system, cutting off power at 180-200 degrees.
- Anti-jamming protection that turns off the motor almost instantly.
- The anti-vibration system is installed not only on the handles, but also in the case of two-handed models. Needed to reduce vibration and stress on the hands.
- Protection against unintentional start-up angle grinder.
- Dust protection in the form of a casing to which the vacuum cleaner can be connected.
- The cordless angle grinder is weaker in cutting speed than the mains-powered angle grinder. Equipped with replaceable batteries. Cordless angle grinders are used for auxiliary and minor work: mount something on site, cut a pipe, corner, etc.
How to choose an angle grinder for your home? Household angle grinder
Angle grinder or angle grinder is a kind of power grinding tools. Unlike its “brothers”, the axis of the cutting disc is directed at an angle of 90 degrees to the engine.
The principle of operation consists in transferring the rotational speed from the engine to the driving spindle, on which the cutting or grinding disc is installed.
Due to its wide possibilities, it has gained immense popularity in construction. A wide range of consumables allows you to use an angle grinder for cutting and grinding metal, concrete, brick, stone, wood and plastic.
Let’s see which angle grinder is best for you.
Key Features of Angle Grinder
It is necessary to study hand-held power tools not only in order to use them better and more efficiently, but also in order to choose the right one before buying. Knowing the purpose of the work, it will be easier for you to understand its characteristics and technical features.
Angle grinder power
The heart of any power tool is engine. Its power consumption ranges from 500 to 2600 watts. It affects:
- Type and time of work;
- Tool cost.
For example, when choosing an angle grinder for your home or garage workshop (for cutting and grinding metal surfaces), a power of 600 to 800 watts is perfect. It will be light and easy to use.
If you want to cut or grind concrete, the power must be at least 1000 watts. It is perfect if you plan to work on a small area.
However, for a large amount of work, the power should not be less than 1400 watts.
This parameter determines the performance of the tool, the stability of its work under loads. Manufacturers equip angle grinders with motors from 0.5 to 2.6 kW. For home use, a power of 0.6-1 kW will be enough, but if it is planned to use heavy wheels (large diameter or thickness), then a low-power angle grinder will not be able to provide the declared rotation speed. Please note that power parameters are not related to the maximum disc diameter, and an angle grinder with a large disc may well be low power.
Photo from the site http://otopleniedomov.com/
Metabo WEV 10-125 Quick
Photo from www.Metabo.com
- Engine power 1000 W;
- Adjustment of revolutions in the range from 2 800 to 10 500 per minute;
- Maximum disc diameter 125 mm;
- Well thought out cooling system;
- Soft start, overload and overheating protection;
- Protection against secondary starting and disk jamming;
- Quick-clamping disc fixation;
- Weight 2.1 kg.
Rating of the best Bulgarians and selection rules
Photo from the site storgom.Uа
Photo from the site http://www.Toolstop.Co.Uk/
- Lithium-ion battery with a capacity of 3 Ah;
- Maximum rotation speed 10,000 rpm;
- Maximum disc size 115mm;
- Electronic stabilization system, soft start;
- Battery charge indicator;
- Weight 1.9 kg.
In practice, the battery lasts for 30 minutes of continuous use, and after discharging the instruction recommends letting it rest for 20 minutes. Then you will have to wait another 20 minutes until it is fully charged, so if you have a large amount of work, it is better to choose an angle grinder that works on mains. Among the minuses, the not quite humane cost and the fact that when using discs with a thickness of more than 1.4 mm, there is not enough power, and the tool begins to warm up.
As a rule, angle grinders with large discs have rotational speeds in the range of 7,000. 9,000 rpm, while models with speeds up to 12,000 are offered for small diameters. Please note that the speed is indicated for idle speed rotation will be less. A very useful option for good angle grinders is the ability to manually adjust the rotation speed by installing a manual adjuster.
Rating of Bulgarians for reliability
As you can see, it is simply impossible to choose the only best model among the many on the market, because the requirements for it differ depending on the tasks set.
Photo from the site http://budmaydan.Kiev.Ua/
It would be inappropriate to compare a powerful, heavy professional angle grinder with one that is designed for the occasional home use. You also cannot discount the cost that can tip the scales in favor of a particular model, despite any ratings. But still, the estimates of real users allow us to distribute the popularity positions, and to rank the best angle grinders as follows:
- Metabo WEV 10-125 Quick;
- Makita BGA452RFE;
- Bosch GWS 12-125 CIE;