Why The Lawnmower Does Not Collect The Grass In The Grass Catcher
How to choose a lawnmower for tall grass and uneven areas?
Not always, caring for the site begins with mowing the lawn. Much more often summer residents or owners of a country house, after a long absence on the site, are waiting for a jungle in miniature, which they have to overcome with the help of mechanized equipment. Trimmers will not help much here, especially if you want not just to cut the vegetation at the root, but to give the territory a well-groomed look. A more reliable, user-friendly technique is needed here.
Are there lawn mowers for uneven areas and tall grass? Such options can be found among the proposals of various brands. from top companies to inexpensive brands. How do you know if you can mow grass on uneven surfaces with an electric self-propelled mower? The rating of the best models and useful recommendations will help to find the best option and understand the device structure.
- STIGA SLM4048AE. The most popular cordless lawn mower from a Swedish manufacturer. In the presence of the function of collecting or mulching grass, rear discharge, the swath width is 38 cm, a viewing window is provided in the 40-liter grass collector, allowing you to control its filling. There is a central 6-step cutting height adjustment, the range varies from 25 to 75 mm. The motor power is 500 W.
- AL-KO MOWEO 38.5LI. Cordless lawnmower with non-self-propelled design. The model is designed for mowing an area of 300 sq. M, has a strip width of 37 cm, a cutting height of grass in the range of 25-75 mm, a 45 l grass catcher is included, there is no mulching function.
- BOSCH Advanced Rotak 760. Low-noise lawn mower from a well-known brand, weighs only 16 kg, has a cutting width of 46 cm, is equipped with a comfortable soft grass catcher with a volume of 50 liters. The model is capable of leaving a grass carpet with a height of 2-8 cm, adjustment is carried out on 7 levels.
- AL-KO Classic 3.82 se. A lawn mower, made in Germany, is equipped with a 1400 W motor, is able to maintain its performance for a long time, and is not subject to overheating. Large wheels handle difficult terrain well.
- Daewoo Power Products DLM 1600E. The electric lawnmower with a rigid compact 40L grass catcher has an acceptable power of 1600W and is capable of efficiently mowing 34cm grass at a height of 25-65mm. The model has a central adjustment on 5 levels, 4 wheels, a light body weighing no more than 10.5 kg.
- DDE LME3110. The simplest of the electric lawn mowers recommended for work in areas with difficult terrain. This model is well suited for small areas. This technique has a cutting width of 46 cm and comes with a small, rigid 26 liter grass catcher. The motor has a power of 1070 W, and in this the lawn mower is far behind its counterparts.
- Hyundai L 5100S. Model of a lawn mower with a 4-stroke 5 hp engine. S., has the ability to literally pull grass under the knife. The technique is optimal for processing large areas from 15 acres, it is effective, has an adjustable speed and cutting height. Ideal for mowing tall grass.
- Caiman Xplorer 60S 4000360901. This model of self-propelled lawn mower is equipped with a four-stroke gasoline engine and is able to cope with work both within private and public areas. With its help, you can take care of the slopes of rivers and lakes, roadsides, lawns and parks, destroy dense weeds, cut off young growth of bushes. The cutting height range varies within 55-120 mm, the wheelbase is three-point, and provides high maneuverability of the equipment. The mass of the self-propelled device is quite large, reaching 50 kg.
- Champion LM5345. A modern powerful petrol lawnmower capable of working with and without mulching. The four-wheel, rear-wheel drive design weighs 36 kg and is equipped with a 4-stroke 3 hp engine. C. The cutting width reaches 53 cm, the kit includes a 75 l grass catcher, the supported cutting height ranges from 25-75 mm, the adjustment is made in 7 levels.
- IKRA mogatec BRM 1446 S. Model with an average cutting height of 25 to 75 mm and a swath width of 46 cm, equipped with a 3-liter four-stroke gasoline engine. C. The lawn mower has 4 wheels (front pair 18 cm, rear 20 cm), steel body. The set includes a soft grass catcher for 50 l, which allows collecting cut stems.
- Viking MB 2 R. Petrol lawn mower suitable for use in areas no larger than 1500 square meters. M with different types of relief. The three-wheel steel construction is easy to maneuver, has a cutting width of up to 46 cm and is capable of cutting grass up to 77 mm. The model has a mulching function that shreds waste, there is no grass catcher.
- Huter GLM-5.0 S. A model with a relatively small cutting width (46 cm) and a powerful 4-stroke 5 hp engine. C. The lawn mower is equipped with a rigid 60 l collection compartment, the mowing height is adjustable in 5 levels, ranging from 20 to 85 mm. The equipment is quite heavy. 40 kg in weight, the body is durable, steel.
Basic requirements for lawn mowers
What should be a lawn mower for uneven terrain and what points should you pay attention to? The first and most important thing to consider: wild vegetation requires processing with a unit with a powerful motor. If a mixture of shrubs and grass is present on the site, it is better to take a lawn mower from 1500 W, with a metal blade-disc as a cutting element. She will be able to cope even with difficult tasks and does not require frequent sharpening.
For uneven areas, the need for a high-quality grass cut becomes a serious problem. If you have to regularly overcome obstacles in the form of bumps, work on slopes and hills, it is better from the very beginning to give preference to models with gear shifting and wheel drive. The best choice would be a technique with which you can mow the surface of the lawn or wild vegetation at different speeds, there should be from 4 front and 1 rear. Starting is more convenient with an electric starter, it is also found on gasoline models.
In addition, you need to pay attention to the location of the engine. in powerful models it is located on top, in others it is hidden in the case. The more difficult the terrain, the heavier the lawnmower should be.
It is imperative to make sure that the cutting element has sufficient resistance to hitting hard objects and obstacles. When it comes to dumping grass, it is more convenient to use a model of a lawn mower with a grass catcher or side discharge. Versions with a mulching mechanism also grind particles that get inside, turning them into a finished fertilizer.
Suitable mower types
Which lawn mowers are suitable for heavily overgrown areas? First of all, here it is recommended to use self-propelled gasoline models that can easily travel long distances. Due to the presence of a drive on wheels, the user needs to exert much less effort, and the grass can be mowed even in an open field without fear of problems. Non-self-propelled models have to be pushed with muscular strength. It will be difficult for an elderly person or a fragile woman to cope with them.
An electric lawnmower with a cord or battery will also be useful in heavily overgrown areas. If it is possible to connect to the mains supply, it is worth choosing just such options. The limitation on the length of the wire will not be a problem in a small area, but in the work it will be necessary to take into account its presence on the surface of the lawn. Battery technology is usually less productive, the maximum operating time with it is from 30 to 60 minutes.
When deciding which lawn mower to choose for a summer residence, you should pay attention to a number of parameters that will be of greatest importance when operating the equipment.
- Area of the mowed area. Up to 500 sq. M can be processed with a hand-held or cordless non-self-propelled drum mower. With its help, you can quickly revive a heavily overgrown lawn or improve the overall appearance of the site. On a larger area, it is worth using only grass mowers with a rotary mechanism.
- Equipment power. For areas with completely grassy, but abundant vegetation, equipment with indicators from 400 to 900 watts is usually sufficient. You can choose between electric and gasoline options, but robotic models that are sensitive to elevation changes will be useless in such conditions. Powerful rotary versions of mowers will cope with irregular vegetation. here it is better to buy equipment for 900-1800 W.
- The height of the grass cover. Usually, for rotary models, it is 18-120 mm, drum models are limited to 12-45 mm. The method of adjusting this indicator also matters: it is better if these are levers on wheels or a special button. If the grass is rarely cut, you need to pay attention to the lower limit of the cutting height.
- Maximum gradeability. Many models are able to successfully cut grass on slopes up to 40%. But for most mowers, these indicators are much more modest, and with a significant difference in the relief, the quality of cutting the stems will deteriorate.
- Unit weight. Two-wheeled drum models are the lightest, designed for hand carry and weigh no more than 13-15 kg. Four-wheel lawn mowers weigh up to 40 kg, petrol versions are significantly heavier due to the fuel tank and the fuel that is filled into it. If you have to mow at different ends of the site, the weight must be taken into account.
- Type of food. Non-volatile models are preferred in cases where the site is not electrified. Plus, the petrol versions are better at handling mixed vegetation.
- Number of wheels. It directly affects the maneuverability of the equipment. Non-self-propelled drum mowers are most often two-wheeled, light enough, easy to transport. If increased maneuverability is required, it is worth giving preference to the three-wheeled models with the smallest turning angle. The four-wheel model is the most sluggish, it is better for it to process areas that allow linear movement.
In the next one you will find an overview of the Caiman Athena 60S self-propelled petrol lawn mower for tall grass.
How to start a lawn mower when the engine stalls at home
It is especially difficult to start the mower after a long period of inactivity. What should the user do when the garden technician refuses to work:
- If the device has not been cleaned for a long time, you need to flush the air engine, it is cleaned with gasoline (it is advisable to do this every 24 hours of operation). You can remove the filter from the device and start the unit, if the mower is working, then the reason lies precisely in this.
- After winter, the remains of old gasoline in the tank can interfere with the operation of the device. The problem is easily eliminated if the fuel is replaced with a new one.
- An insufficient amount of oil in the crankcase can also be the reason why the gasoline lawn mower will not start. Check its presence, whether there is fuel in the tank.
- Incorrect position of the air damper during the first start. At temperatures ≥ 30 C, it should be in the middle position or closed. On restart. open.
- Jamming of the crankshaft, piston. can be eliminated by slightly moving these parts. The main thing is to do it carefully, so as not to break the mechanism.
- Dirt in the breather. the fuel supply stops, you need to clean the part.
- Dry threaded connection. with this factor there is no ignition spark, the connection should be lubricated with gasoline.
- Spark plug malfunction. accumulation of oil on it, plaque. The candle is unscrewed, dries well, cleaned with a nail file. Excess fuel is drained, dried for at least 30 minutes. Candle hole. Part may need to be replaced if it cannot be cleaned.
- The contact of the high-voltage wire and the candle is also checked for the presence of a spark. If the latter does not occur, the ignition system malfunction will be identified and eliminated only at the service center.
Troubleshooting by professionals
The service station is available not only for cars, but also for garden equipment. Usually, a service center is contacted in the event of a piston and carburetor malfunction of the device. Why and why the gasoline lawn mower does not start in these cases is determined by the master:
- Damage to the integrity of the device or individual parts. with a tonometer, using pressure, find the affected area, seal it.
- Clogged channels, nozzles. elements are blown with air, cleaning fluids are used.
- Worn pistons, gasket. replace the assembly part.
The first thing a user can notice is a deterioration in the quality of the device. The grass is not mowed evenly enough, leaving missing spots on the lawn. This happens because the motor starts to junk, its power decreases. TOP 5 symptoms indicating a problem:
- Increased vibration of the device.
- Increased operating noise.
- The lawnmower starts and stops.
- The device turns off by itself.
- Car whistles.
The main 3 reasons why the lawn mower stalls are improper operation, overload, prolonged operation (engine overheating). The system is cooled thanks to the air filter, it should be checked every time you use garden equipment. What to do to prevent the mower from stalling. before turning on the device, check the presence of gasoline in the tank, whether there is oil. It is recommended to clean the filter after each mowing.
Prevention of malfunctions
The rules for operating garden equipment are not complicated, if you adhere to these points, the device will last longer than the expected period:
- Always use a good quality fuel mixture.
- Do not work in the rain.
- Pump fuel into carburetor with primer.
- Pour the required amount of gasoline into the tank, exclude fuel from entering the engine.
- Mow intermittently. Give the device some time to cool down and rest. The petrol lawn mower will often not start when hot.
- Clean the complete set of the structure only after the engine has cooled down. Should be cleaned: knives, channels, filters, container. It is advisable to do this with the use of special cleaning solutions. this way it will be possible to avoid corrosion of metal elements.
- Store the device in a dry, warm room, eliminate moisture ingress.
- In the course of work, do not put pressure on the device, make smooth forward movements, move along the site. Chaotic back and forth movements. wear out the unit faster.
- If the device is not used for a long time, it is necessary to replace the fuel with a new one. Gasoline stagnates in the system, does not allow the unit to function normally.
It should be noted that with the onset of cold weather, the car is removed as unnecessary, it is recommended to drain all gasoline for this period (it is explosive during stagnation). How to properly prepare the lawnmower for work after winter: inspect the entire body for defects, drain and replace gasoline, check for oil, start the machine for the first time with the air damper slightly open or closed.
The structure of a gasoline lawn mower
Before you repair the device, you need to figure out what it consists of. There are many models of garden equipment from different brands: self-propelled, non-self-propelled. They all work the same way. Components of the structure:
- Platform on wheels;
- Gasoline engine (starter, carburetor, ignition and fuel supply system, air damper, filter, piston system, fuel tank.);
- Hand grip;
- Water jet nozzle;
- Cutting elements (knives);
- Grass collector (container);
- Unit for ejection of freshly cut grass;
- Buttons, control levers;
- Body (aluminum, steel, plastic).
Why the lawnmower won’t start?
Why the lawn mower won’t start, reasons
You can figure out what caused the device to malfunction by disassembling it. This must be done carefully and carefully, there are many small parts inside that are easy to break. There are 2 types of damage: mechanical, electrical. Let’s look at the most popular reasons why the mower won’t start and stall:
- The carburetor is out of order;
- Bolted connections are loose;
- Motor breakdown;
- The moving components of the mechanism (crankshaft, piston) are jammed;
- Blocking the cutting tool (cylinder) with a foreign object. branches, sticks, hard grass, stones, etc.;
- The oil and fuel supply system is broken;
- The spark plug is out of order;
- Stretched out, torn belt;
- Small or too large clearance between parts inside the structure;
- Defective device switch;
- Dirty fuel hose, ventilation grilles;
- Clogged air filter.
If you use the petrol lawn mower for a long time without interruption, the device will stall. Why does the lawn mower stall and not start hot? Motor overvoltage occurs. It is better to postpone mowing, let the lawn mower stand, after it has stalled, most likely the reason lies in the overheating of the device.
Features of using garden equipment
It should be remembered that the grass can be mowed no more than 20 cm high, 1/3 part at a time. Always switch off the machine before changing the bevel height. You need to work especially carefully on slopes, move along the terrain.
So that foreign objects do not get stuck in the blades, before mowing, inspect the area for stones, sticks, everything that may interfere with improving the lawn. If, nevertheless, the device is jammed, unplug it and check the knives for anything extra.
To summarize, if you are faced with problems with the functioning of the lawn mower: it does not start or turns off, here is the algorithm for what to do:
- Carry out an external inspection of the machine for damage, see if oil is leaking;
- Check the amount of gasoline in the tank;
- See if there are any third-party interfering objects in the knives of the device;
- Pay attention to the fastening elements, whether there are loose bolts;
- Clean the parts of the mower if there is any dirt;
- If the candles are rusted, replace them with new ones.
The first mowing of the lawn in the spring, or mowing new shoots, is recommended to be done at 1/4 of the grass stand height. The main thing to remember is that if the height of the grass cover exceeds 10-12 cm, the grass begins to weaken, weeds appear. The ground must dry after the snow melts, otherwise lawn ruts will form on the lawn. Therefore, the best time for the first haircut is mid-May.
How to mow the lawn?
The following tools can be selected for mowing:
- Lawn mowers
- Trimmers and Lawn Mowers
- Gardening scissors
Intelligent mowing machine. Powered by a rechargeable battery. Not a cheap device, but it has many advantages: it independently mows a given area, an intelligent system allows you to determine areas of the lawn, bypasses obstacles, independently determines the place of recharging, and is equipped with an alarm to prevent theft of the device. They do not have a bag for collecting the cut grass, as they cut off a few millimeters of the top layer. The finely chopped grass falls down to fertilize the ground. Some models are capable of servicing up to 400 square meters of lawn, with a slope of up to 35 degrees. Once the mowing cycle is complete, the robotic lawnmower itself returns to base. Cutting width 25-35 cm. Cutting height 16-60 mm. Many models are equipped with rain sensors and do not leave the base in wet weather, or stop mowing and return to the garage.
Mowed lawn care
The question arises: what to do with the cut grass. leave it on the lawn or clean it? On the one hand, cut plants can serve as an excellent fertilizer for the lawn, the nutrients from them will return back to the soil, the spread of moss will stop, and you will not have to spend time cleaning the grass from the lawn.
However, there is a downside to the coin: the cut grass will lead to the rapid appearance of weeds, the reproduction of earthworms, the surface of the lawn will acquire a porous structure and will be more susceptible to disease, and the soil ventilation will deteriorate. Thus, it is better to remove the cut grass after cutting; it is recommended to leave it only in dry weather, so that the necessary moisture evaporates less from the lawn.
Mowing the lawn should be regular, then the plants will take a dwarf form
As for watering and feeding, they are necessary for the formation of a thick, high-quality cover, even if you have to mow the lawn more often due to the rapid growth of grass. It’s better to mow the grass more often and end up with a beautiful green surface without bald spots.
Mowing the lawn should be regular, then the plants will take a dwarf form and, instead of increasing the leaf mass, will form more and more new shoots, creating a dense turf. If you cut rarely and immediately shortly, the grass will weaken and begin to fall out, and in its place separate islands are formed, overgrown with weeds, yarrow, moss or bluegrass.
- We mow for the first time as soon as the grass reaches 12-14 cm in height. The roots of young plantings are weak, they must be given the opportunity to grow and strengthen. In the future, the grass cover of a decorative and functional lawn can be mowed up to 4-7 cm.
- The frequency of the haircut depends on many parameters, primarily on the weather conditions. If it rains often, the grass is actively growing, you will have to cut more often. If heat and drought are established, growth slows down and the lawn does not need mowing for a long time.
- Cutting too low in drought is dangerous. the grass can burn out.
- You cannot leave a heavily overgrown lawn for the winter. Plants will fall and it will be very difficult to restore its beauty in spring. We carry out the last mowing about two weeks before the first frost, so that the grass has time to grow a little and does not melt out during thaws.
- If for some reason the grass has grown too much, we reduce the height in several steps.
- Infrequent low mowing weakens the plants. It is better to mow more often while maintaining a constant height of the stand
- Mowing wet grass is not recommended for many reasons. But some summer residents who get out to the site only on weekends sometimes have no other choice. In this case, at the very least, do not use a cordless electric lawnmower or electric trimmer, because Is it dangerous.
Mowing the lawn: when to mow the grass and how often
Even though very little time has passed since the lawn was planted, and the grass is still difficult to compare with a dense green carpet, it is time to take care of the first mowing of the lawn. If the right moment is missed, some seedlings will outgrow or fall from the rain and then not rise. It is the mowing of the lawn that allows you to form a beautiful grass cover of optimal density, therefore it is so important to cut the grass on time and do it regularly.
Hovercraft Lawn Mower
A relatively new type of mowers. The advantage of this type is that the mower does not touch the ground during the mowing process. The unevenness of the ground is not difficult for them. The device hovers above the ground and does not damage grass and sod. The likelihood of damage to such a mower by a stone or a branch caught in the knives is minimized. The lack of wheels and ground traction makes the mower incredibly maneuverable and easy to operate. The wheels in this type of mower are replaced by a turbine located above the cutting mechanism, thanks to which it hovers above the ground. To hang in the air, you need a little weight, hence the disadvantages of the device: no grass-catcher box and plastic knives.
The grass on the bumps is shaved off
If your area is prone to bumps, increase the cutting height and add mulch to level the lawn surface. When mowing, try not to push or jerk the mower handle back and forth.
When mowing, try not to push or jerk the mower handle back and forth.
How to properly mow the grass on the site and avoid mistakes
The last haircut in autumn should not be done in a cold wind, otherwise the tips of the blades of grass will freeze
Here are a few rules to keep in mind when mowing your lawn:
- First of all, make sure that the height is the same on both sides of the mower drum, otherwise you risk ruining the lawn;
- Clear the area of stones, sticks, wire and other debris that could harm the mower;
- Sweep the surface of the lawn with a broom or rake to level the piles of earth after earthworms and raise the grass towards the blades;
- Mark in your mind the direction of the haircut. adjacent stripes should be obtained at a certain angle to each other;
- Change the direction of the stripes with each mowing to perpendicular, then ribbed stripes will not turn out on the lawn;
- The last haircut in autumn should not be done in a cold wind, otherwise the tips of the blades of grass will be frostbitten, which will negatively affect the quality of the lawn next year.
Mowing grass with a lawnmower is not as easy as it sounds. Of course, you will need to learn how to operate the mower first before you start mowing your lawn. However, while working, you can accidentally make mistakes that will noticeably worsen the appearance of the lawn. The most common mistakes are:
The lawn mower will not start
- If the engine will not start, check the position of the choke. If the air temperature exceeds 30 ° C, set the middle position;
- With prolonged operation of equipment, it is necessary to take breaks for 5 minutes to avoid overheating of the engine;
- It is necessary to check if gasoline has hit the spark plug;
- If the gasoline in the tank is stagnant, it is worth changing it to a new one;
- It is necessary to check whether the filter passes air well, if necessary, wash it;
- You can pump fuel into the carburetor using a primer.
If the mower does not drive, check the drive belt. it may be worn out and needs to be replaced.
The lawn mower is not picking up speed
The reason may be such malfunctions:
- It is necessary to inspect the muffler. it may be blocked;
- The grass is wrapped around the shaft and from this does not twist the knife, as shown in the photo;
- Rust on the mechanism and parts;
If the mower does not work at full capacity, it is necessary to disassemble and clean the mechanism.
The main reason for the failure of the mechanism can be called improper use. With knowledge of the principle of operation and mechanisms of garden equipment, you can troubleshoot with your own hands. But it is still better to consult a specialist, especially in case of serious breakdowns. Among the most common breakdowns, the following can be distinguished:
- Noise unusual for garden equipment. This is usually due to loose bolts or poor housing. It is necessary to carefully inspect all components and tighten the bolts. If the noise resembles a whistle, a foreign object is most likely caught in the mechanism. It is necessary to turn off the mechanism and remove a foreign object;
- The case shakes unnaturally during operation. Most likely, the reason is a malfunction of the cutting element that needs to be replaced;
- The mower will not start. First you need to check that there is a sufficient amount of gasoline in the tank. If this is okay and the engine is not running, a faulty spark plug could be a possible cause. In other cases, it is recommended to contact a specialist, since it will not be easy to repair the mower yourself;
- The engine does not pick up speed and immediately stalls. The cause may be a jammed mechanism. If this happens due to a lack of lubrication, you need to pour oil into the crankcase and set the mechanism in motion;
- Uneven lawn surface. This means that the cutting elements are dull and do not cut the grass well. It is necessary to sharpen the knives, and it is better to replace them with new ones;
- The mower does not move or is difficult to drive. First of all, check if the cutting height is correct.
All of the above malfunctions can be eliminated independently without contacting specialists.
The lawn mower does not pick up grass
This could be due to faulty or dull knives. In order to avoid such a situation, it is necessary to install new knives every season. You can also do without sharpening the knives at an angle of 30 °.
When sharpening, you must protect yourself with special glasses and protective gloves. After sharpening, you need to test the balancing of the knives.
It is worth listing a few tricks by which you can keep your garden equipment in excellent condition and minimize the need for special maintenance.
- If the lawn mower has not been working for a long time, it is necessary to drain the stagnant gasoline, as shown in the photo;
- Carefully pour high-quality gasoline into an empty tank using a watering can;
- If necessary, add carburetor priming primer and set the maximum speed.
Frequent lawn mower breakdowns: overview and problem solving
When using a gasoline lawn mower to mow the lawn, you need to be careful and follow the operating rules exactly. After completion of work, the device must be cleaned, since even a slight blockage can block the moving mechanism. If there are frequent breakdowns of the lawn mower: an overview and solution of problems can be found by reading this article.
Blades are not adjusted correctly
This can be seen from the uneven surface of the lawn. Unplug the mower and wear protective gloves before making adjustments.
The gap between the cylinder and the knives should be uniform in all areas and not exceed the thickness of a sheet of office paper. Even the same paper is used to adjust the gaps. It is inserted between the cylinder and the knife, after which the drum rotates. It is necessary to adjust the knives until the paper is cut evenly at any point on the knife.
Let’s sum up
After reviewing the information, we can conclude that with proper operation with garden equipment and timely maintenance, most problems can be avoided. If a trouble still occurs and the mower does not work at full capacity, you can try to fix the breakdown yourself or contact a service center.