Why The Stihl 180 Chainsaw Stalls
For what reasons the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw will not start
Why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start. Major malfunctions and causes. Ways to eliminate and repair the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw.
Defective crankshaft bearings
With a defect in the crankshaft bearings, a slight backlash is observed on it. You can check for backlash by shaking the flywheel of the Stihl 180 chainsaw from side to side. If there is a backlash, it means that under the action of its magnets, the flywheel is attracted to the contacts of the ignition coil, since the backlash on the bearings allows it to do this and as a result the spark disappears.
Replacing the crankshaft bearings
It is better to replace the crankshaft bearings in a specialized service, because when replacing, you will need to completely disassemble the Stihl 180 chainsaw and remove all its main components.
Without some experience or at least the skills of repairing similar chainsaws, it will not work to replace the crankshaft bearings efficiently.
So, we figured out the absence of a spark, but what to do if there is a spark, and there is no answer to the question why the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start. The reason may be hidden in the fuel system.
For what reasons the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw will not start
The Stihl MS 180 chainsaw is considered one of the most reliable tools used in gardening. But with any technique, there are situations when for some reason it does not start. Let’s take a look at the main problems due to which the Stihl 180 will not start or start poorly, and how to fix these problems.
Why stalls at idle
The first and most common cause of this malfunction is improper carburetor adjustment. You can adjust the idle speed yourself, for this you need to have a Stihl adjusting screwdriver, which is supplied with the unit. The adjustment hole is located on the right side of the Stihl 180 saw on the handle and is marked with “-” and “” symbols.
If the Stihl chainsaw does not keep the speed and stalls at idle speed, you can be almost 90% sure that it has irregularities in the fuel pump operation system, as a rule, it is air leaks into the crankcase through the oil pan gasket, or, much more often, through the oil seals crankshaft. Air leaks reduce or completely stop the impulse, which is fed through special channels to the fuel pump of the chainsaw. As a result, the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not receive the required amount of fuel and stalls at idle.
Diagnostics can be carried out using a special device called a vacuum gauge.
The second way to check the performance of the oil seals is to pour gasoline into the crankcase of the engine and look at them, if the oil seals let gasoline pass, it means they cannot provide normal pressure in the crankcase, which will make idle work impossible. And when operating at high speeds, with leaking oil seals, there is a possibility of jamming of the crankshaft bearings.
The algorithm for checking the crankcase and Stihl 180 oil seals for leaks is as follows:
- The top cover is removed.
- The air filter housing and carburetor are dismantled.
- The handle of the chainsaw is removed.
- The starter spins and retracts.
- On the side opposite to the starter, the side cover and the drive sprocket are removed.
- A piston stopper is installed in the spark plug hole or a string from an old starter with knots imposed on it is stuffed into the cylinder.
- The flywheel and clutch are unscrewed, after which the parts are removed. It is worth knowing that the chainsaw clutch has a left-hand thread and unscrews clockwise.
- The oil pump drive gear is removed.
Having disassembled the Stihl MS 180 chainsaw, you can see the oil seals, then you need to fill the crankcase with gasoline and check the leakage. You can fill the crankcase through the fuel window in the cylinder, for this the piston must be raised as high as possible. If leaks are found, it is necessary to replace the defective oil seals, or re-seal the pallet. You can collect Stihl 180 following the reverse sequence of the algorithm.
On the pages of the world wide web, you can find information that the Stihl 180 chainsaw can stall due to strong pollution of the air filter. I would like to refute this not entirely correct information, and inform that the Stihl MC 180 carburetor is equipped with an expansion joint, which is designed and installed in order to take in the air necessary for the normal operation of the Stihl 180 chainsaw, bypassing the contaminated air filter. Of course, the power with a clogged air filter will drop a little, but it will definitely not stall. The power may also drop due to wear of the piston, here it will already be necessary to repair the piston Stihl MS 180 chainsaw.
Why does the chainsaw stall when you press the gas
Let’s say the chainsaw works normally at idle, but when the gas is pressed sharply, it stalls. What could be the reason? It is immediately clear that this is not about the ignition (no spark), because if the ignition is faulty and there is no spark, the tool would simply not start. This means that the fuel system remains.
There are a lot of faults in the fuel system and to determine the exact reason why the Stihl 180 chainsaw stalls when you press the gas, it is necessary to carry out a complete diagnosis. We recommend reading about common malfunctions of the Stihl 180 chainsaw and their elimination.
It is important that if you even found the very cause of the instrument malfunction, this does not mean at all that you can eliminate it yourself. Since there are such breakdowns that can only be corrected by a specialist. If you have carried out a direct manipulation regarding checking and changing the quality of the oil (see oil for the Stihl chainsaw), but, nevertheless, the chainsaw still refuses to start, in this case, you must continue the search.
But if you fully performed all the manipulations prescribed above and did not miss a single nuance, but nevertheless the instrument has not yet been corrected, then in this case the problem lies in the group, which is called cylinder. But if you still could not “bring back to life” your iron friend, then simply take the chainsaw to a service center where your device will be repaired. Also, do not forget to take care of the engine to find out the ratio of gasoline and oil for chainsaws, read this article.
Shtil chainsaw won’t start: reasons and solutions
First of all, it is worth noting the fact that the chainsaw 180 of this manufacturer is one of his best “creations”, but it also has its drawbacks. Actually, about which we will now talk.
- A fairly common problem is that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start and floods a candle. The reason for this is that the oil that is used to lubricate the chain starts to leak. Since time is merciless and simply breaks the tightness exactly in the place where the hose from the oil pump and the oil tank is actually connected. Naturally, this problem can be solved, but, given the design of this chainsaw, it will not be so easy to do this, since you simply have to completely disassemble the device in order, as they say, to get to the right place. It can be seen more clearly: https: //www.Youtube.com/watch? V = UOsYJBOVuwg
- Many are worried about this question: why does the Stihl 180 chainsaw not start? If you believe the experts, then in such a situation, you first need to open, and then close the lid that is on the gas tank. Or get out and dry the candle. Or try to ventilate the combustion chamber. In most cases, this kind of manipulation is enough to make the device work. But there are times when the Stihl chainsaw does not start, but there is a spark….
- In the above case, you need to make a direct checking the gas supply, air filter and the direct performance of the candle. Since the basis of this kind of breakdown is the breather, namely its pollution. Because when it is completely clogged, a kind of vacuum arises in the gas tank itself, which simply interferes with the fuel supply process. This issue is not difficult to solve, since all you need to do is clean it using a needle.
- There are also situations when the device, in principle started up, but immediately died out.
In order to exclude the saloon from damaged objects, it is necessary first of all to disconnect the fuel hose from the carburetor itself and actually check if fuel is leaking from it.
- Connecting pipes or the connections themselves in the area of the oil pump fittings can also leak.
- It happens that the Stihl 180 chainsaw does not start well due to cylinder that can be broken. But to determine its condition, a visual inspection is enough. But if even there you find the formation of irregularities and chips, then you can be sure that you have found the cause of the breakdown.
- If through verification you find that malfunction in the candle, then you simply need to turn it out, and then dry it directly. But it is worth noting that in no case should you pierce it, since you will simply spoil the part, and it will be unusable. You also need to drain excess fuel from it through a special hole.
Over, it may be that the expiration date of your candle has simply passed, in which case it is necessary to replace it. Therefore, it is a great advice that it is best to always have a new candle in stock or, best of all, a set. Then you can replace it at any time and actually understand whether it was the direct cause of the device breakdown. Over, a weak contact can also be the cause of a breakdown, which actually connects the high-voltage wire and the end of the candle. Also, the cause may be a breakdown of the ignition unit. It is worth noting the fact that in order to eliminate this kind of problem, it is necessary to replace the unit itself, since it cannot be repaired.
Stihl-180 does not start: reasons and remedies, why the chainsaw floods the candle, gasoline does not flow to the cold
Today, the manufacturer Stihl occupies a leading position among other companies that produce equipment for agricultural and construction work. The products of this manufacturer are famous not only for their high level of quality, but also for the optimal pricing policy and power of its models. Probably, it is quite difficult to meet a person who does not have a chainsaw of this brand. This is one of the most famous world companies. But the fact that out of ten possible, six people definitely have them. This is not surprising, since Stihl chainsaws deliver power as well as graceful design. But unfortunately, such giants of technology sometimes fail and require some kind of repair. Let’s talk about the reasons why the Stihl chainsaw won’t start.