Bosch S5 Silver Plus Battery How to Charge
Charging the battery is much more difficult than connecting a regular charger. If a car enthusiast wants to do this job safely, he needs to know which wire should be disconnected first when removing the device, how long it takes to charge the bosch s5 silver plus battery, and much more.
One of Bosch’s priorities in battery design and manufacturing is increased productivity, especially when starting up in cold weather. The S5 model uses innovative AGM technology and is maintenance-free. It is resistant to vibrations, has double protection against backflow. The battery cover prevents acid from flowing out of the case.
Bosch’s Enhanced Flooded Battery EFB meets all the requirements of modern starter devices using S5 AGM technology. The deep cycle with EFB provides enough energy to quickly start the car at any time.
The battery has a service life that is 3 times longer than that of conventional analogues, which in the long run will save money for the motorist. The model has an ergonomic handle, which greatly simplifies transportation, maneuvering and installation. Bosch Silver s5 batteries come with a 4-year warranty, which makes them stronger and more durable. Advantages of a battery with EFB technology:
- Reliable start-up at extreme temperatures.
- High cycling rates are twice as much compared to conventional starter ones.
- The adoption of an enhanced charge.
- Extra polyester canvas between plate and separator.
- Ideal for driving short distances.
- High density of the active mass for better current.
- Protection against leaks and tilt up to 55 degrees.
- No maintenance required.
S5 AGM Technology Device
The 12 V starter battery consists of 6 separate cells located in the housing and connected in series. The cell is the smallest electrochemical unit. She does not have an individual container, and the contacts are connected to adjacent parts of the structure by soldering.
Each cell contains an element, which consists of a set of negative and positive plates, separated by a separator. microporous insulating filler, installed between oppositely charged plates. An electrolyte is an aqueous solution diluted with sulfuric acid. It permeates the pores of the plate and separators and fills the voids in the cells. The terminals, connectors and plates are made of lead. The thermal seal design is used for battery integrity and provides excellent performance. Improper use will damage the battery.
The main reasons for a quick failure:
- The included lighting when parking the car.
- Auxiliary heating, battery powered.
- Defective current generator.
- Faulty voltage regulator.
- Control unit error.
- Additionally installed electrical equipment.
- Installing a battery that does not match the passport of the car.
- Frequent car stops.
- Overloaded connected power: radio, TV, DVD, refrigeration units.
- Short circuit / dead cell.
Installing and removing the battery
Installation of Bosch Silver Plus C5 is carried out in strict accordance with the operating instructions issued by the manufacturer and the technical passport of the car. Installation experiments can end disastrously not only for the car and battery, but also for the car enthusiast, since this process relates to work with increased danger. Action algorithm:
- Turn off the engine and all electrical equipment before installing or removing the battery.
- Install only batteries that are fully charged, undamaged, and recommended for a specific vehicle.
- Avoid short circuits, use only proven tools and cables.
- After installation in a vehicle, remove the cover from the terminal blocks.
- Disconnect the negative terminal (-) and then the positive terminal ().
- Before installation, clean the surface inside the car.
- Securely and securely lock the battery. If it is poorly installed, it will undergo vibration, which reduces the service life. Friction between the battery container and the placement surface damages the housing, after which electrolyte leakage will begin.
- Clean battery terminals and lugs. Easy to treat with anhydrous grease.
- When installing, connect the positive terminal ().
- When removing, attach first. the negative terminal (-).
- Check that the terminal lugs are firmly fixed.
Charging the Bosch plus
Before you charge the car battery at home, you need to prepare tools for work. After removing it, clean the battery terminals with a brush for the terminal, a mixture of baking soda and water to neutralize the acid. If there are a lot of growths on the terminals and racks of the battery, put on goggles and a mask so that the air corrosion does not touch the eyes, nose and mouth. Do not touch the face until your hands are washed. This battery model is maintenance-free, so you cannot open it to check the acid level. Instructions for safely charging a car battery:
Video: Bosch S5 Silver Plus Battery How to Charge
- Start charging the battery immediately after discharge.
- Charge the battery with a special device, following the instructions for the specific device.
- Check if the charger is suitable for operation.
- Make sure the charger is turned off.
- Connect the positive cable of the device to the positive terminal of the battery.
- Connect the negative cable of the device to the negative terminal of the battery.
- Set the device to the slowest charging speed.
- Turn on the charger and set the timer.
- When removing the device, first turn it off, then remove the positive and negative cables.
- When charging is complete, an indication appears on the battery panel.
- Connect the device to the car and check the operation.
- If the driver is not going to drive the car after charging, then check the battery level after 12 hours to make sure there are no problems with the battery itself.
If the battery is not charging, it may be seriously damaged and needs to be inspected or repaired.
Low charge state
While gas fuels the car, the battery is the spark of life that makes it move. Without this initial push, the car is dead. There are certain exceptions when you can start a car without a battery, but the movement in this case can only be emergency. The main battery failure is low charge. Common causes of failure:
- Defective alternator.
- Low voltage output from the regulator.
- High contact resistance caused by loose cable connections or dirt on the terminals.
- Defective equipment causing continuous discharge.
- The sulfation process.
- The battery is low, charging and level correction were not performed correctly.
- Acid stratification.
- Recharge caused by high temperature in the engine compartment.
- Defective voltage regulator.
- High level of corrosion.
- A low electrolyte level and a black layer on the filler are evidence of battery overload.
- Excessive water consumption increases the density of the electrolyte.
- High temperatures result in lower internal battery resistance and an increase in charge current.
- The effect of frequent recharging.
Consequences of misuse
The battery container and terminals will have obvious damage if they are not installed correctly or the cables are incorrectly connected. In addition, a short circuit in the electrical network with a sharp release of heat melts the end poles.
When installing the battery, Bosch recommends installing appropriate or slightly higher capacity equipment specified in the factory specifications. Choosing a smaller battery will result in a shorter battery life and an early failure of the device.
During the charge and discharge cycle, the material of the battery plate partially moves due to electrochemical processes. This aging cycle, caused by charging and discharging, leads to a loss of potential for starting the car or its equipment.
Ways to extend service life
The battery has a finite number of cycles. Vehicles that make a large number of short trips wear out faster than cars that take longer trips. Nevertheless, there are rules, the implementation of which helps to increase their life:
- Set the voltage, charge level and starting power of the bosch silver plus battery according to the requirements of the technical documentation and periodically monitor them.
- Remove the battery before storing the car for winter storage.
- Check the battery twice a year and always in the winter in case of old batteries.
- Check that it is firmly inserted into the battery compartment, the metal parts are lubricated, and the terminals are tightened.
- Do not forget to turn off the headlights so that they do not discharge the battery.
- Before starting, turn off all unnecessary electrical equipment, such as a radio, air conditioning or auxiliary heater.
- After prolonged shutdown of the battery, connect it to the electronic charger. When a vehicle is decommissioned (for example, if it is used only seasonally), it is required to store it in a cool place after charging the battery.
- If it is necessary to leave the battery in the car, disconnect the negative terminal.
- Check the OCV battery every two months. If the OCV is below 12.4 V, then recharge the battery.
Bosch SmartCharge Pro is a professional-level support device that has a wide range of applications, including heavy duty machines. SmartCharge Pro contains six different charging modes, a digital display that allows users to see the charge status in real time and receive safety alerts. Key Feature:
- Six different charging modes with 12 or 24 volt output.
- The maximum speed is 7 amperes.
- Digital display shows battery voltage while charging.
- Compatible with a wide range of cars.
The Bosch C7 is an intelligent six-speed automatic battery charger with great advanced features, including regeneration mode and backup power. The C7 is ideal for charging and maintaining lead-acid, gel, AGM, and VRLA / SLA batteries up to 230Ah (12V) / 120Ah (24V). Thanks to the regeneration mode, it restores deeply discharged batteries with a direct current of 1500 mA.
Backup power is used for the car’s electrical system, which supports tuning the system while charging the battery. It is also used as a power source for accessories such as a cooler (12V batteries above 14Ah). Bosch C7 is used for many applications, including classic cars and modern vehicles.
- Wall mount.
- Suitable for lead acid detergents, AGM and gel batteries.
- No risk of reloading.
- Spark protection
- Full protection against short circuit and reverse polarity.
- One convenient button to use.
- Fully automatic charging.
- Overheat protection.
- Memory function.
- Charges discharged batteries.
- The C7 meets IP65 dust and splash protection standards.
Learning how to charge the Bosch s5 silver plus battery will help the driver during a traffic emergency, save money and extend the life of the device. Any battery charging requires the use of special equipment.
Investing in a charger will be returned to the motorist in the short term, especially if the family owns more than one vehicle. Most of them are convenient to use, and after researching this area of the Internet you can find an inexpensive device.