Feathering nozzle on the drill with their own hands
Beater pins for a feather picker with your own hands
Before you start to make the machine yourself, you need to understand the principle of its operation. Feathering machine. a container with beater fingers made of rubber. These pins have a special surface that can grab the feathers and pull them out. So, without making any effort, you can get several processed birds in a few minutes.
Such devices are available in several modifications:
- With a centrifuge. Round or vertical triangular containers with beaters inside. The bottom is unwrapped at high speed, the carcass also begins to rotate and is gradually released from the feathers. To increase efficiency, a small amount of water is poured into the machine. it will protect the carcasses from damage and wash away any excess. Not very large birds are loaded into it (quail, chickens, ducks). It is not profitable to use them at home, so other types are suitable for households.
- With a drum. Here the motor drives the drum. The fingers are only on the outer side. A person must hold the bird close to the rotating rotor, constantly adjusting the clamping force. It is possible to clean the carcasses of different sizes, but the smallest ones are inconvenient to handle.
- Special attachments for power tools. They are multi-purpose (any bird can be plucked), but they are not very convenient to work with: you have to hold the carcass with one hand and treat it with the other. The only justification. such nozzles are inexpensive.
Of course, mechanization of the process has many advantages, but there is a significant disadvantage. high cost. That’s why only farmers or individual householders who regularly sell their animals buy such machines.
But even with home use, you want to achieve cost minimization, which is why a feathering machine made by your own hands has gained popularity these days. There can be several variants.
It remains to test the homemade device. Turn the machine on and throw the chicken or duck into the drum. Don’t forget to provide water supply. When plucking dry, it takes much more time than with water. Sprinkling “rain” on the carcasses makes the feathers fly off in two minutes. The dry version, in addition, leaves a coarse feather. Keep in mind that during plucking, a lot of water flows out and feathers may fly to the sides, so you should find a special place for the feather plucker.
The described device allows us not only to simplify the process of plucking poultry, but also to save the purchase of expensive industrial-made feather stripper. An old washing machine, a set of tools and minimal technical skills will help you to become the owner of another useful device.
Simple manual labor can easily be replaced by automated. So, the plucking of geese can be entrusted to a special device. plucking machine. It can be both purchased and made by yourself.
It is hard to deny the value of goose meat and feathers. Many people cope with cutting meat, but not everyone knows how to pluck poultry correctly so as not to spoil the feathers themselves and not to leave stumps on the carcass, which will lower its value.
In a large farm there is no time left for such a long procedure as plucking. It is quite difficult, so it is better to use a plucking device. It took a comparatively long time to develop.
Read also: The head of the rocking machine balancer
In the middle, friction is provoked, which causes the fingers to crash into the carcass and pluck feathers. The drum should be installed on a movable axle.
Feathering machine for geese not only saves time, but also increases productivity. If you have a few poultry, it does not make sense to buy an expensive machine, it is better to make it yourself. The devices are different:
The geese machine at home consists of:
The work with the plucker for geese consists of these steps:
- After slaughtering the poultry, leave the carcass for a couple of hours;
- After that, dip it in warm water for 2-3 minutes;
- Thoroughly brush out all the feathers. Immerse in boiling water for 2 minutes. Most importantly, don’t hold it for too long;
- Lower the carcass into the preheated machine;
- During automated plucking, pour boiling water over the goose. Take it out and rinse it with cool water;
- Clean the areas where the feathering is not completely removed.
If the down is small and soft, cauterize it, then use a sharp blade to remove the bad spots and rinse the goose under a stream of warm water.
Use it in conjunction with a sharpening machine or a screwdriver. The main component part of the nozzle is the drum, which must have sufficient rigidity to work effectively.
Instructions for making a plucking attachment:
- Attach the bottom with screws to a tube with tight metal walls;
- Make a hole in the center of the bottom. Insert the pin into it and secure it with two screws. Choose the diameter so that the pin is held securely in the tool used for the job;
- On the side of the drum around the circumference drill a few holes; Make them in several tiers, placing them at an equal distance;
- Insert sturdy feathering machine pins into holes.
A machine of this type, despite its apparent primitiveness, will make it possible to pluck not only geese, but also hens, quail, ducks and turkeys. It will be useful not only to the farmer, but also to the hunter interested in handling carcasses.
The device can be constructed from a piece of pipe with a diameter of 100 mm or more. For this option will need two bottoms, which can be made of wood or plastic. In the center of the bottoms it is necessary to drill a hole, through which to pass a stud for tying the mechanism and its use on the tool. As for the previous attachment, make the holes in a circle and insert the bolts in them.
- The frame on which the drum is mounted;
- An electric motor;
- Belt transmission system;
- A container for feathers;
- Reel of any length with 2 axes.
The technology of creation is similar to the above presented.
You can make a sturdy device out of an activator-type washer, which is a tank for plucking. The convenience of this design is that the lower section is initially equipped with a drive, which can be used to transmit rotations. It is also convenient that the tanks are made of durable steel.
To turn an outdated washing machine into a powerful plucking unit, it is necessary to construct a rotating bottom and connect it to the shaft. It is possible to make the bottom from a strong sheet metal.
Do not make a big spacing between the elements of the construction as some parts of the carcasses would get in the spacing. Before fixing the bottom it is necessary to drill holes for fixing the beater fingers. They are drilled on the sides.
Plucking geese in such a design is carried out with water, so it is important to make gaps for water escape. Their diameter (mm) should be sufficient to allow feather lumps to come out. It is acceptable to use a colander as a filter.
The choice of beaters
Hello Dear Farmers! In this article we will consider how to choose the right type and calculate the number of beaters to make a feather picker or a drill bit with your own hands.
Let’s first have a look at what beating fingers (or just beaters, feathering fingers) are.
The beating pin is a rubber part in the shape of an ordinary pin, with a groove from 10 to 25 mm and a length from 50 to 300 mm depending on the purpose and place of installation. The feather stripper removes feathers by creating a frictional force between the rubber and the bird’s carcass. They have different shape of the working surface depending on the type of feather to be removed and the species of bird.
The main characteristics of feather pickers are: shape, length, seat diameter, tensile strength, Shore hardness of rubber, elasticity and color.
In order to find the right size and shape for your beaters you need to know what kind of bird you will be plucking: quail, broilers, chickens, ducks, geese or turkeys.
For quail you need a small beater with a length of up to 50 mm and a fitting diameter of 10 mm. Quail is a small bird, so we must exclude the possibility of the bird getting stuck between the fingers. If you use 90-100mm long fingers the birds will fall between the fingers or these beats should be set very often with minimal distance between them. And this greatly increases the number and therefore the purchase price of the fingers.
Boilers, chickens and turkeys have mainly a fine feather, for removal of which well-proven fingers ball-shaped (or sphere) with a length of 90-100mm and landing diameter of 20mm.
Waterfowl such as ducks, turkeys and geese have large feathers for which ring-shaped fingers (or ring) with deep ribs, 90-100 mm length and 20 mm diameter seat works perfectly for plucking. The distance between the ribs corresponds to the thickness of the lower part of the feather pad, which holds the plumage in the bird’s skin.
We recommend to combine sphere and ring-shaped flail tines in equal proportions to remove various birds on the same machine.
For household feathering machines cetrifuge type are used soft fingers with a value (48-55 Shore units). In this type of equipment the bird hits the finger under its weight, if it is hard, the probability of tearing the skin greatly increases. We recommend to use soft fingers for beaters and wagons.к. It is very difficult to calculate precisely the hand force with which you should hold the bird on your fingers.
Industrial conveyor lines use stiffer beaters with a value (60-70 Shore units).
Rubber elasticity. the ability of rubber to return quickly to its original state. In our case it is the ability to quickly return the finger to the initial state, when bending.
Fingers of white rubber have the greatest elasticity. we recommend to use it when immobilizing the young birds. Another property of white rubber is that it has a pleasant smell.
To calculate the right number of beating fingers you need to know what type of equipment you will install. Simply put, decide what you are going to make: a poultry plucking nozzle, a beating drum or a feathering machine?
|Feathering cap||Beating drum||Centrifugal beating machine|
|15-24 pcs||50-72pcs||100-250pcs (depending on the diameter of the tank)|
The feather tines can be made of rubber with different tensile strength. This value can be from 10-25 mPa. The higher the value, the more expensive the original rubber and the longer the life time of the tine. Choose your fingers based on the number of birds you want to slaughter per year. If you have a slaughter of up to 500 pcs./Take any finger. For large quantities of heads, it is better to take fingers with high strength. This does not affect the quality of nib removal.
The technological process of feathering of poultry also depends on several factors:
- Rotation speed of a quill or a drill bit;
- Temperature and time of plucking the bird before plucking;
- Choosing the right type of beating fingers.
We hope that this information will help you quickly and efficiently make a feather stripper, a nozzle for plucking or a beat drum with your own hands.
In households are very often engaged in raising poultry for meat (ducks, geese, broiler chickens, etc.).). The process of plucking is not easy and not very pleasant. In order to save the owners from such an unpleasant occupation, was invented the plucking machine. You can make your own feather picker for use at home.
How the devices work
Before starting to make the machine yourself, one should understand the principle of its operation. Feather-picking machine. a container with beaters made of rubber. These fingers have a special surface that can grasp feathers and pull them out. In this way, with no effort, it is possible to have several processed carcasses in a few minutes.
Such devices are available in several modifications:
- With centrifuge. Round or vertical triangular containers with beater fingers inside. The bottom unwinds at high speed, the carcass also begins to rotate and is gradually released from the feathers. To increase efficiency, a small amount of water is poured into the machine. it will protect the carcasses from damage and wash away all unnecessary. Not very big birds are loaded into it (quails, chickens, ducks). It is not profitable to use them at home, so other types are suitable for households.
- With drum. Here the motor drives the drum. The fingers are placed only on the outer side. A person must hold the bird close to the rotating rotor, constantly adjusting the pressure. It is possible to clean carcasses of different sizes, but it is inconvenient to handle the smallest ones.
- Special attachments for power tools. They are universal (any bird can be plucked), but it is not very convenient to work with them: you have to hold the carcass with one hand, and perform the treatment with the other. The only justification is that such attachments are inexpensive.
Of course, the mechanization of the process has a lot of advantages, but there is also a significant disadvantage. high cost. Therefore, only farmers or individual farm workers, engaged in regular sales of livestock, buy such devices.
But even with home use, one wants to achieve cost minimization, which is why a feathering machine made by one’s own hands has gained popularity these days. There can be several variants.
Installation of frame sliding structures
The installation of the awning in this case begins with checking all the necessary elements. A typical set of sliding curtains consists of:
- side profiles;
- 3 sliding doors;
- Vertical and horizontal components of the frame;
- self-tapping screws.
- First of all, the vertical and horizontal components must be connected to each other. For this purpose, self-tapping screws are used. But one side of the horizontal bar is not attached;
- Before you fix the curtain in the bathroom, in the resulting frame should be inserted in turn all the flaps, starting with the smallest;
- Install the flaps on the side of the missing strip. And once the doors are placed, the bar is attached to the frame with self-tapping screws;
- In the next step, the installation of the curtains involves marking the walls;
- To mount the curtain in the bathroom was correct, it is necessary with the help of the mounting bar to mark places for holes, and then drill holes in the wall on the edges of the bathroom fixtures;
- Then the installation strip must be attached to the frame;
- All places adjacency of the curtain to the bathroom fixtures, should be treated with sealant;
- And before you attach the bathroom curtain, you need to wait for the sealant to cure;
- When the installation is complete, check the tightness of all seams: from the side of the plumbing fixtures on the seams should be poured a large amount of water. If you notice that they are leaking, re-treat the joints with sealant.
Production of the simplest curtain rod from plastic pipes
For kitchens or similar domestic premises you can independently make a simple and original ledge from plastic pipes. It is ideal for light curtains on rings, hinges or eyelets. True, it is a temporary solution, but it is perfect for country houses.
For the work you need only a few pipes (depending on the number of sashes), special holders and accessories for fixing structures. You can use screws and a drill for quality fixing, after which there will be holes in the frame, or liquid nails, which will not leave traces, but they will not last as long.
The ideal option for curtains for this ledge will be the design of “hourglass”. To make it very simple. you only need to fix the eaves on the upper and lower sections of the sash, stretch the canvas and pull it in the center.
This option can be called a job for lazy people: the whole process takes only a few minutes and does not require complex manipulations. It is only necessary to cut the plastic pipes into pieces of the desired length, fix the holders on the wall with screws or adhesive base, insert the pipes into them. If glue is used, it is advisable to first supplement the fixation with ordinary tape, which is removed after the base has dried.
Table with their own hands from crates
The bird plucker is based on centrifugal force
It is a relatively small vessel, usually circular in shape. On the bottom and on the sides there are the beaters. These machines need a 220V electrical connection to work. A bird carcass should be placed in it and turned on. After that, the bottom begins to rotate rapidly, ensuring that the bird is in contact with the beater fingers.
The bird plucker
The machine should be chosen according to the medium size of the bird. So there is one diameter for geese, another for chickens and so on. All down and feathers accumulate underneath. However, adding a little water is recommended to improve performance. This will get rid of the feathers quicker. It will also protect the carcass from possible mechanical damage.
Important. It is advantageous to buy these devices for small farms. They allow you to automate the work, but if you have several heads, it is recommended to choose other types of pluckers.
Different sizes of units allow you to process several birds at the same time. But in this case a little more time is needed. Also be prepared for possible damage to some of the limbs. That is why poultry farms use centrifuges only when the whole bird carcass will not go to market. The power of industrial devices is much more than household devices to ensure high productivity at high levels of loading.
Machine for plucking birds “Sprut-700
It is considered the most affordable and popular among those who use centrifuges. It is possible to use it for any poultry except quail because they are very small. They are best handled manually or with a drum.
Machine for plucking birds “Sprut-700
Most models are equipped with an irrigation system. Here are the modifications of this machine exist today:
These systems are often used in large poultry farms as they allow removal of feathers from several birds at the same time.
Steps in making
The instructions for making it yourself are as follows:
- For the manufacture of the drum we need the same water pipe, only of greater length and diameter. Length. 50-70 cm, diameter. 15-30 cm.
- A small electric motor is used as the driving unit, which is attached to a specially made frame. The frame is welded from metal angles.
- A pulley connects the motor with the working drum.
- In the drum is drilled appropriate holes beater fingers, but the diameter of the holes should be 2-3 mm less than the diameter of the fingers themselves. Otherwise, it will not be possible to rigidly fasten the fingers in the holes.
- Then a special feather catcher in the form of a voluminous plastic bag should be attached to the bottom of the frame. If this is not done, then after processing a dozen chicken carcasses, all the surrounding space within a radius of several meters will be covered with a thick layer of feathers and fluff.
Read also: What kind of power generator is needed for inverter welding
Feathering of fabric squares with fringe
Labor lessons in grade 1 The cloth perforator is an essential item for a schoolchild. You can use a pen cleaner bought in a store, but how much nicer to wipe the end of the pen with a handmade pen cleaner!
Labor manuals for elementary school teachers give different-looking examples of feather cleaners, but the technology for making them is almost everywhere the same. The feathering machine offered below not only provides children with an introduction to the simplest operations of fabric processing (marking, cutting, sewing details), but also the study of its structure (interlacing threads). The last problem is solved as follows. To make a buttonhole, the children cut out eight blanks. squares of two sizes. Four blanks are formed at the edges to form a fringe. During this work, children get an initial idea of how the threads in the fabric are intertwined. The formation of fringes on the fabric slices, looking at the fabric, and pulled threads can be associated with laboratory work In addition, feather strips made in this way look more ornate and neat.
Sewing on the button may cause some difficulties. It is necessary to show the techniques of sewing on buttons with two or four holes on models made of cardboard. The diameter of the model button is 100-120 mm. A thick darning needle or office needle and thin cord are used for the work. On this layout, the children can clearly see the process of sewing a button with different techniques. The teacher introduces the first graders to one or two techniques for sewing on buttons with four holes.
The button sewn to the feather cleaner fastens all the workpieces. Doing this activity is the first exercise in this kind of work and will help the children when they need to sew the buttons on their clothes.
The sequence of making a feather duster out of fabric
Sewing on buttons with four holes (graphic guide)
When making feather cleaners, students can be introduced to the organization of teamwork. At each desk, two children can divide the labor: one makes a pattern for one size piece and the other prepares a pattern for another size piece. When marking and cutting out pieces, labor can also be divided among those sitting at the same desk or table.
Such small exercises in the division of labor will later help to move on to the production of items in the labor lessons.
Materials for work: pieces of cotton fabric 50×50 mm and 60X60 mm (four pieces each), one button per student, sewing thread 0 or 40.
Tools and equipment: scissors, needles (darning needles), thimble, ruler, angle, pencils, pins (two pins per student), patterns.
Making technology: 1. Pinning the patterns on the fabric, marking the fabric and cutting out four 50×50 mm squares and four 60×60 mm squares. 2. Forming fringes on four squares made of fabric. on two large and two smaller ones. 3. Picking squares in a stack. First pick up the large squares. Squares with fringes are placed on top. Smaller squares can be stacked in two ways. 4. Sewing a button to the feather stripper.
Other designs of pen-cutters can be made. Two feathering options are described below. The teacher may choose to make any version in the classroom at his or her discretion: a squared feather duster, a widdle feather duster, a book feather duster. Two squares, 120 V 120 mm and 140 X 140 mm, are prepared for the feather duster. Form a fringe along the edges. Place the smaller piece on top of the larger one, double folding it in half so the smaller piece is on top. To fasten the parts in a corner sew on a button.
For making pen-cleaner-book, prepare three-four squares of cotton fabric 100X100 mm in size, one of the squares of plain dyed fabric 120X120 mm for the cover of pen-cleaner. Form a fringe or cut out prongs along the edges of each piece. When all the pieces are ready, stack them in order to align all the edges exactly. Put a piece of plain dyed fabric at the bottom. it is a feather-cleaner cover. Thus prepared details are folded in half, fix the corners with pins so that the details do not shift. At a distance of 50 mm from the fold line all parts are stitched through the “forward needle” stitch and finish the job by looping these stitches “snake” or “rope”.
Making a drum for feather removal
To create a drum of a feathering machine, beads are necessary.
Purpose of parts. removing feathers from carcasses. Manufacturing of beads at home is not considered reasonable. The only option is to buy in specialized stores selling agricultural products. You can buy them in online stores.
To make a self-made machine, you need to buy about 100 pieces of beads.
There are several sizes of beaters. The big one is needed for the goose, the small beating fingers are for cleaning the quail.
The existing varieties of beaters are presented in the table:
|Designation||Description of beating fingers|
|For small birds||Length. 4.5-5.5 cm, diameter. 1 cm. The advantage. the horizontal notches. Used for partridge, quail|
|For feathers removal from chickens and ducks||Length. 9.7 cm. The main advantage. removal of the main plumage and fine down. Do not damage the birds’ skin|
|A universal kind||Suitable for big birds: geese, broilers, turkeys. Characteristics: optimal rigidity, big grooves. Part length. 9,3 cm|
|Parts for industrial equipment||Material. high-strength rubber. Suitable for linear-rowing machines (industrial use). Finger dimensions: length. 14 cm, diameter. 1,95 cm|
|Parts for feather scooping||How to use: set on a turntable. Removes feathers that have been plucked effectively|
Making a feather duster from an old washing machine
You can make an effective feather duster with your own hands from an old washing machine of activator type. The convenience of using an old washing machine to make a plucking device is that it already has a drive at the bottom, which can be successfully used to transfer rotation to the bottom of the feather removal unit. In addition, the tanks of old washing machines, as a rule, are made of quality stainless steel, which is also a big plus.
Two tanks from a washing machine will make an installation with a larger load
To turn the tank of an old washing machine into an effective feathering installation, a rotating bottom must be mounted over its main bottom, which is connected to the activator shaft. Make such a bottom can be made of aluminum sheet or other lightweight sheet metal of the required rigidity. It is important to take into account that the diameter of the rotating part should be 5 cm less than the transverse dimension of the tank itself.
Make a larger gap is not recommended, as it can fall into the limbs of the carcasses of chickens and other birds, or even whole quail. Before fixing the rotating bottom to the rotation axis, holes must be drilled in it in which the beating fingers will be fixed. The same holes are drilled on the side walls of the tank.
Inside the makeshift. a circle of stainless steel and factory rubber fingers
The plucking of poultry in such an installation is carried out using water, so it is necessary to make holes in the bottom of the washing machine drum for draining the water mixed with feathers. In the chute, in which such water should be evacuated outside the unit, you can install a regular colander, which will act as a filtering element.
It is very important to protect the electric motor from getting water on it, so the axis of rotation of the moving bottom must be securely sealed. To ensure a constant supply of water to the plucking machine, you can adapt a plastic hose with holes, mounted on the inner walls of the drum.
For the stability of the construction, it is better to make a wooden frame
The machine as described above can be used not only for chicken plucking, but also for larger poultry such as turkeys and fat geese. According to the same principle you can make a plucking machine from a plastic barrel, but in this case you have to make a frame for it yourself and think about the design of the driving mechanism.
There are a lot of videos on the internet about making plucking machines of different designs. Using these visual materials, you can easily make a simple and handy machine for your needs.
Making a feathering machine with your own hands
Raising a large flock of birds to sell their meat to the public there is always the problem of slaughtering and especially plucking the carcasses. It is not profitable to do it by hand, because it takes so much time. That’s why farmers buy or make the so-called feather-picking machines which do all the hard work of cleaning the birds from feathers in one or two minutes.
The very first such typewriter appeared at the beginning of the last century with an inventive peasant. Only in the 60s, after a small modification, they began to be used in large poultry factories, and since 2006 they are mass-produced by small firms for farms. They are all classified according to the method of plucking:
- Machine tools. Operates in cooperation with the operator, whose job is to prepare the carcass for plucking. The operator soaks slaughtered birds in hot water for 2-3 minutes and then lowers them into the bowl of the machine. With the help of a rotating centrifuge and beaters, the rapid plucking process is carried out. Up to 4-5 birds can be processed in one minute. Poultry harvesting machines are used in large and medium-sized poultry farms.
- Household machines. These are special nozzles designed for drills and screwdrivers. They are used by hunters, as well as owners when slaughtering poultry on private farms.
- Centrifugal. These are autonomous machines. Working from 220 volts. There is water connected to it for wetting the feathers of the slaughtered bird. There is a rotating bottom with beaters. These machines are the most popular with the general public. That’s why they often are self-made, made by the owners themselves according to the drawings from the Internet.
- Rotor machines. Here, the rotating drum with fingers is carefully brought to the carcass and lightly pressed. The employee turns the bird on either side. The plucking time is half a minute. The machine can handle different carcass sizes. The bird must be soaked in boiling water before plucking.
Despite the many modifications of such devices, the principle of operation has not changed over the century. All of them have a rotating plane and a beating finger. And the principle of operation is this:
- scalded with hot water (70. 80 gr.) The carcasses of various birds fall into the tank of the machine;
- Due to the rapid rotation of the bottom, the carcasses spin and hit the rubber fingers located on the walls of the container. The consequence of this is the removal of the pen;
- During rotation, the carcass is watered for better cleaning.
It is worth noting that for the plucking of quail and ducks are used different in length and configuration feathering fingers.
And also to avoid damage to the skin the carcass processing time should not exceed 40. 45 seconds. 2 to 3 birds can be plucked at the same time, but it depends on the design of the machine.
Homemade mechanisms for plucking poultry
Many people try to save money on buying specialized units by making them themselves. There are several ways to create a poultry processing unit. In practice, they are not inferior to those produced in factories. It is worth considering them in more detail in order to choose the most preferable.
Homemade plucking mechanisms based on a drum
As a rule, an ordinary drill is used as a moving element. One makes about the same number of rotations per minute, allowing you to get rid of the down and feathers in poultry. It is also necessary to make a special drum, to which the beating pins will be attached. It must have a sufficient level of rigidity.
To make the device yourself requires:
Take a metal tube with thick walls and weld the bottom to it, making a hole in it. Through it, the attachment to the drill will take place. Then insert the stud to the hole and secure it with two nuts. It is necessary to select a stud so that it can be fastened securely enough in the chuck of the electric drill.
Drilling several holes at an equidistant distance.
Create beating fingers (the more of them, the more effective the process of impact on the carcass will be).
Beating fingers for homemade plucker can be made of different material. But rubber is best, as it allows you to achieve the desired result without damaging the poultry carcass.
It works the same way as the nozzle, but allows all the feathers to be bagged at once. In this way, they can be used later on for sale or for private purposes. It is easy enough to create it if you follow this algorithm:
- creating a drum with two axes of any diameter with drilling holes on it for beating fingers;
- the use of a frame or a frame to secure the drum
- A low-power motor to drive the mechanism;
- straps to organize the operation of the appliance;
the bag at the bottom of the machine which collects the feathers and down.
As in the previous case, the farmer needs to work with each carcass separately.
Homemade centrifuge for collecting poultry feathers
In this case, it is necessary to use an old washing machine. The advantages of such a mechanism are that there is a possibility to reduce labor costs and to process several carcasses at once. Also, such a machine can work not only with chickens and geese, but also with large birds like turkeys. Grouse hunters can also use this device at home.
Here’s how you can make a feathering machine from a washing machine:
- To the bottom it is necessary to attach the rotating bottom, which must have a connection to the shaft of the activator. It must be stiff enough, so it is recommended to use aluminum. Diameter of the rotating ring should be made 50 mm less than the diameter of the main tank.
- The beater pins are inserted into the bottom through the holes made beforehand.
- securing the bottom with clips or by welding. However, it will be impossible to remove it after welding. It is recommended to make a removable bottom, because sometimes between it and the rotating wheel remains the limbs of the carcass. They can give off an unpleasant odor as they decompose, and removing them would be problematic with welding.
- Positioning the beams around the perimeter of the washer-dryer tank.
- Creating a small hole to drain the water that is used when processing poultry. A sieve or gauze can be placed in the chute to let the water drain away, but the feathers remain.
Organizing motor protection against water exposure.
After completing these steps, you can start processing the carcasses. It is worth noting that it is quite difficult to build a centrifuge yourself, based on the description.
Properties of the nozzle
The following benefits are also worth mentioning.
- Stainless and non-oxidizing materials are used to manufacture the device.
- The warranty period of this device is up to 10 years.
- The standard beating fingers are made of rubber and are designed for a sufficiently large number of plucking. But even if they are worn out, it is possible to replace them with new ones.
- often than not, when you buy the product, it already comes with spare parts, such as beater fingers. But even if they are not available, it is not a problem to buy them separately in a store.
- The kit also includes an instruction on how to use the nozzle, most often with a detailed description and illustrations.
Important advantages of the Duck Master Plucking Bit
Everyone who tried to pluck the bird from feathers by hand is faced with the fact that it is quite a troublesome task. If you have had to pluck two or three birds in a row, you will agree that this is quite a time-consuming task. First, the birds need to be scalded with boiling water, then plucked by hand from down, feathers and newly growing feather stumps. After the second or third bird, my fingers don’t work anymore. And if there are more than 10 birds, it’s a couple of days’ work, no less. This applies to hunters as well as small farms that raise chickens for sale.
Large poultry farms have long ago solved the question of feather removal, they use mechanisms for feather removal on the conveyor, which were created a relatively long time ago. In small farms and hunters use special nozzles on the drill, which is very effective in the work.
Of course, there are special devices for plucking poultry on sale, but they are practically disposable. So the invention of such a nozzle on the drill, electric screwdriver or lathe was very convenient. And it’s also handy for plucking chicken and quail, as well as musk ox ducks and geese.
Popular types of plucking nozzles
Even feathery feathers can be plucked, regardless of the age of the bird. And it’s slow enough to make your fingers go numb. Imagine a bottle brush. a primitive prototype of the nozzle.But instead of a fishing line, rubber fingers are used, and the bit is put on the drill.
If you take for example a chicken, it takes about 2 minutes to remove feathers without scalding beforehand and with enough skill with the nozzle, and the chicken is practically not damaged. A large bird, such as a goose, is plucked with a nozzle in 10 minutes.
It can also be used for processing ostrich carcasses, and here the processing time will be about 20 minutes. The most important thing is that no steam treatment is needed in this case.
Homemade mechanisms for plucking poultry
Many people try to save money on buying specialized devices, creating them on their own. There are several ways to build a machine for processing poultry. In practice, they are not inferior to those produced in factories. It is worth considering them in more detail in order to choose the most preferable.
Plucker for chickens
As a rule, an ordinary drill is used as a moving element. One makes about the same number of rotations per minute, allowing you to get rid of the down and feathers of poultry. It is also necessary to make a special drum, to which the beating fingers will be attached. It must have a sufficient level of rigidity.
To make the device yourself requires:
- Take a metal tube with thick walls and weld the bottom to it, making a hole in it. Through it the attachment to the drill will take place. Then insert a stud to the hole and fix it with two nuts. It is necessary to choose a stud so that it can be fastened sufficiently securely in the chuck of the electric drill.
Tube for the feather picker
Creating a nozzle
The beating fingers for the homemade plucker can be made of different materials. But rubber is best, as it allows you to achieve the desired result without damaging the poultry carcass.
It works in the same way as the nozzle, but allows you to bag all the feathers at once. They can thus be used for future sales or personal purposes. It is fairly easy to create if you follow this algorithm:
- creation of a drum with two axes of any diameter with drilling holes for the beating fingers on it;
- Using a frame or frame to fix the drum;
- A low-power motor that will drive the mechanism in motion;
- Straps to organize the operation of the appliance;
- A bag at the bottom of the machine in which feathers and fluff will fall.
The attachment for the plucker
As in the previous case, the farmer needs to work with each carcass separately.
In this case it is necessary to use an old washing machine. The advantages of this mechanism are that there is an opportunity to reduce labor costs and process several carcasses at once. Also, such a machine can work not only with chickens and geese, but also with large birds like turkeys.
Here’s how you can make a feathering machine from a washing machine:
- To the bottom you need to attach a rotating bottom, which should have a connection with the shaft of the activator. It should be sufficiently rigid, so it is recommended to use aluminum. Diameter of the rotating ring should be 50 mm less than the diameter of the main tank.
- The beater fingers are inserted into the bottom through the pre-drilled holes.
- Securing the bottom with clamps or by welding. However, it will not be possible to remove it after welding. It is recommended to make a removable bottom, as sometimes the limbs of the carcass remain between it and the rotating wheel. They can give off an unpleasant odor during decomposition, and it will be difficult to remove them when using welding.
- Installing beams around the perimeter of the washing machine tank.
- Creating a small hole to drain the water that is used when processing poultry. A sieve or gauze can be placed in the chute to allow the water to drain away and the feathers to remain.
- Protect the engine from water.
After these steps, you can begin to process the carcasses. It is worth noting that it is quite difficult to create a centrifuge yourself, based on the description.
It is necessary to make a choice in favor of a particular type of device, based on the characteristics of operation. It is worth considering the main advantages of both types to make it easier to choose.
|Centrifuge||Drum with beater fingers|
|– treatment of several birds at once;. work even with large birds;. high speed of feather removal;. availability of a blood gutter and feather filter.||– budget model;. easy to build by yourself;. processing of any carcasses;. relatively low power does not damage the bird’s body;. low power consumption;. possibility to work in the field;. increased speed of work.|
Thus, for large farms, an industrial machine that operates on the basis of a centrifuge is recommended. However, for small areas where no more than 20 birds are observed, hand-held units can be used. They are also actively used during hunting, so that the bird can be brought home completely ready for cutting.