How An Eccentric Sander Works
How an eccentric sander works
The sander consists of the following main elements:
- Housing, which is made from special reinforced polymers, distinguished by wear resistance and high strength. It has a button to turn on the unit.
- Electric motor, which is powered by a battery or electrical network. A fan is used to cool it. However, instead of an electric motor, a compressor can also be used as a driving force. In this case, work will be carried out from compressed air.
- Reducer used to reduce the speed. It is housed in a special aluminum alloy housing. The gearbox consists of gears placed on shafts.
- Depending on the type of tool for fastening the disc, sanding plate or other equipment spindle, the end of which is made in the form of a threaded shaft, where the nut and washer are screwed.
- Lever has a thread that allows you to change its position and fix it.
- Protective cover used to prevent sparks, abrasive dust from entering the unit and the user.
The tool kit may include additional items that increase the usability and expand the functionality of the device. For example, it can be a dust bag, pad, and so on.
One of the additional functions useful for a beginner is the pressure indicator. This is especially useful for those who have not yet learned how to feel their pressure on the instrument. This indicator, in case of excessive or insufficient pressure, will allow you to correct it to perform the grinding properly. This function will be useful for professionals as well. It will allow you to assess the degree of your skill in working with ESM and facilitate the grinding process itself.
This is the name of a tool equipped with a long handle. It is used to process ceilings with adjacent wall sections without using a ladder or other similar devices. Depending on the configuration of the tool, the handle can be of variable length (telescopic) or fixed. The connection between the handle and the grinder is articulated. This allows you to work with the handle at an angle of 90 to 45 ○ in relation to the ceiling. The telescopic handle length usually varies from 1 to 2 m.
The “giraffe” is intended for finishing the surface of a large area, therefore it is completed with an orbital sander with a base diameter of about 200 mm. For better penetration of the work plate into the corners, a part of the protective cover is made removable. Dust is collected in a regular bag or in a vacuum cleaner connected to the unit.
Additional functions of the eccentric sander
Unlike the characteristics of eccentric sanders described above, additional ones have a lesser effect on productivity and quality of work. But the presence of certain additional functions allows you to make your work more comfortable.
Today, manufacturers are trying to provide their ESM with useful functionality as much as possible. These functions include speed control, various options for dust collectors, the ability to connect to a vacuum cleaner or an adapter for it, a second handle, a starting current limitation (soft start), a pressure indicator. Let’s consider each of them in more detail, since some of these functions can play a decisive role when choosing.
How to choose an eccentric sander
Creating a perfect surface for varnish or paint is impossible without a sander. Today for these purposes on the market you can find several different types of grinders, each of which is good in its own way. So, for example, even a high-quality and expensive belt sander cannot provide an ideal surface for varnishing or staining, in contrast to an eccentric one, which was created for this very purpose. There are no particular difficulties in how to choose an eccentric sander, even in spite of the huge assortment from various brands. The main thing is, before choosing an eccentric type grinder, to determine for yourself what it should be in terms of basic parameters and additional functions.
- The main parameters of the eccentric sander
- Additional functions of the eccentric sander
For those who are going to perform surface grinding for the first time with an eccentric sander, the following should be explained. The eccentric sander is intended for for polishing, rough and fine grinding. In practice, in most cases, it is used only for polishing and fine processing with further varnishing or painting the surface. Such a narrow focus of the machine is due to the peculiarity of its work. The principle of operation is a reciprocating circular motion of the grinding wheel, which achieves high-quality processing.
# spoiler # end_spoiler