How to cut sheet metal with an angle grinder. Types of metals and peculiarities of their cutting
How to cut metal with an angle grinder safely and correctly?
Angle grinder is considered extremely injury-prone equipment, so it is important to know in advance how to properly cut the metal with an angle grinder to avoid injury and cope well with the task. It is necessary to monitor the safety measures at work and use personal protective equipment: use a respirator, wear protective gloves or gloves, goggles, etc.
Cutting tools should be used strictly as intended, all work carried out with the help of special metal circles. It is categorically not recommended to remove the protective cover. How to work properly with an angle grinder, see at
13 Ways to Cut Metal
Choice of disc
For each type of robot, a specific blade is assumed, with the right diameter and thickness. The small diameter is 125 mm, and the large or frequently used is 250 mm. The thickness of the cut and its depth depends on the diameter of the disc.
For cutting metal, you need to buy a cutting disc with a thickness from 1 to 1.2 mm, for professional up to 2.5 mm. If you intend to make a shaped thread on a thin metal, you will need a disk with a small diameter or used.
Regardless of the size of the disc, a protective cover is put, it is used when cutting metal. When cutting metal, you expect the flight of small particles, to avoid damage by small metal scraps set the shield.
Home and semi-professional tools
For arrangement of plumbing or sewage systems, heating and ventilation circuits in home construction or in the provision of construction services, tools from this category are often used.
Among the most common devices are the following:
- Cutters with the construction of secateurs. Such a tool is used for cutting polymer pipes, the cross section of which does not exceed 75 mm. To apply the required force for work, the device’s gear mechanism allows. The design of such a cutter includes a special shelf, on which the pipe is placed, which ensures an even cut strictly under 90º. for such tools can be very different, it all depends on their quality, size, capabilities, manufacturer and other factors.
- Disk type pipe cutter. In such a device, the pipe is cut by a special disc, which is made of durable material and has sharpened edges. With the help of a lever, the cutting disk is pressed to the surface of the pipe and is carried along its cross-section.
Basic rules for safe work while cutting metal angle grinder
The most important thing to do when cutting is to follow all the safety rules. Manufacturers of such devices will constantly try to minimize the risk of injury, and invent new, as well as try to improve the old protective systems.
But no one thinks of the worker as he or she does. The main hazards when cutting a disc are splinters from a broken disc, a flow of fine abrasive particles and sparks, and an inability to hold a tool in your hands. If the disk breaks, or if it jams, the angle grinder can escape from the hands at the most unnecessary moment and with great force, for this reason, even before you start the work, you should foresee its possible trajectory of movement. Be aware of safety considerations, even for small jobs.
- Cover your eyes, hands, face and possibly all other parts of your body.
- Keep away all flammable materials and objects that stand in the direction of the sparks.
- Fasten the part to be machined with the angle grinder in a vise, if possible. Never hold the workpiece which you are handling with your free hand or even with your feet.
- If you plan to put a new disc, you should “spin” it on the angle grinder at maximum speed, and place it away. the disc can be defective, and in this case it will break into many pieces.
- Adjust, fit and secure the special safety guard.
Note that you must protect your face with a face shield if you use an angle grinder.
- Unplug the machine when replacing the disc at rest.
- In order to protect the face and eyes, use goggles or even a face shield. professionals use both together for extended periods of work.
- Hold the device firmly in your hands while you work.
- To change a disc, wait until it has come to a complete standstill.
- Wear suitable protective gloves. Never use cotton gloves because they do not protect you and they are a fire hazard; there have been cases where thread has gotten wrapped around the wheel or the spindle of an angle grinder and believe me, this is not good.
- Position yourself so that your face, and if possible even the rest of your body, is not in the plane of the wheel.
- Wait until the disc has come to a complete standstill before placing the tool with the disc on the floor so that it is not damaged.
- Unplug the angle grinder.
- Ensure that there is no smoke or other signs of ignition.
A typical mistake made when cutting metal is to remove the guard if the diameter of the new wheel is larger than the guard. The cover is a protection in case the disk breaks and breaks into pieces while cutting metal. Instead of the disc, most people use cutters, saws or other materials, but you should never do this.
How to properly cut metal with an angle grinder. recommendations and tips
It would seem that could be easier. take and cut metal with an angle grinder. But it’s not that easy. If long pipes lie on supports, you should cut their hanging edge. If you cut them in the middle, then due to its weight, the metal begins to sag and clamp the disc.
If you do not have the skills to handle an angle grinder, you should learn how to cut on unnecessary metal parts before you start working. By the way, the cutting wheel will take only radical forces, and the attempt to change the cutting plane, when the disk is located inside of the metal part, will lead to its failure. It will be effective to cut metal through the heel of the disc (we are talking about the near bottom of the circle).
To disk and angle grinder to serve as long as possible, after every 5-7 minutes of work should make a break for 1/3 or ½ hour. This is especially important for low-powered grinders, which are afraid of overheating. To extend the life of discs, especially those that are very expensive, and after cooling the metal should be watered. The work should be done by two people and a partner.
By the way, aluminum is a very ductile metal, and when cutting detail and great thickness in the seam should drop kerosene in compliance with all safety rules. For moldings, shape cutting and tin sawing use exhausted discs, “stumps” and therefore do not throw away what is almost exhausted. The angle should not be cut in one go, but both flanges separately. If pipes, armature, angles are long enough and rest on supports, it will be correct to cut the hanging edge. If you cut between the supports, the workpiece will begin to deflect due to its weight and the disc will jam.
Parts with great thicknesses should only be cut in a straight line. If you want to cut a shaped piece, you must first make straight cuts and then remove the rest, all that is not needed. Do not put pressure on the tool, because it can lead to jamming or even breakage and overheating.
If the cutting process is slow, you should replace the disc. Treat the resulting cut with another disc. Molten particles of abrasive and metal when they get on the product of plastic, headlights and glass of the car begin to stick into them, and after it is almost unrealistic to remove them, and for this reason you should remove or protect everything before you start performing.
Safety when cutting rolled metal with an angle grinder
Before you can properly cut metal with an angle grinder, you must carefully observe the following safety rules:
- Work should be done with the use of personal protective equipment. Wearing canvas gloves, goggles and a respirator is mandatory.
- Grinding is carried out without using the side of the wheel.
- Do not use bent or severely deformed consumables.
- Avoid contact of the cutting wheel with electric cables, flammable substances and other objects.
- Do not plunge too deeply into the work process to avoid damaging the disc and angle grinder.
- Before starting work, fasten the disc and then check that it is idle.
- Clamp the consumables in a vise prior to use. This will reduce the risk of injury to the hand, which can be done by holding the parts in your hands while you work.
- To remove and replace the disc, you should wait until the machine has come to a complete stop.
If you have changed your mind to do the cutting yourself, or you do not have enough tools, you can always go to a specialized company that provides metalworking services. For example, on this site you can read more about the for cutting metal https://sortmet.You can not use the first one because it causes burrs and jagged edges on thin metal.
Is it possible to cut a metal tile and decking
There are two answers to this question. The first one is not allowed, as it leads to burrs and jagged edges on thin metal. In addition, burns paint and zinc. All this leads to the formation of corrosion and other unpleasant things. So say sellers of trapezoidal sheeting and metal tiles. The second answer. you can, because it is not always advisable to overlap small sections of the fence or roof. For example, when it comes to the end of work, where the size of the last sheet is in the range from 30 to 50 cm. In this case, spending a whole sheet for 1.15 meters does not make sense.
Angle grinder ZUBR PROFESSIONAL angle grinder P230-2100 PV. Photo AllInstruments.ru
If you still decided to cut the profiled sheeting with an angle grinder, it is worth using some tips:
- Do not cut the sheet at a great height: a workbench, a chair, a bench. Otherwise, at the end of the cut, the hanging piece will simply bend. Metal is too thin, it will bend.
- If you intend to cut the profiled sheeting crosswise, be careful. On the ribs, the blade can hit hard. Cut through the bumps by winding the tool from the top in waves, not by dragging it parallel to the sheet.
- It is better to go over cut seams with a fine emery cloth.
And a couple more tips on working with metal:
- This material has even more curves, bumps and other irregularities. Also use a thin cutting wheel. Preferably diamond. Cut the sheet from the top edge to the bottom, “going down” on the wave.
- Sand the cutting area well with sandpaper. You can also go through the paint, so the joint did not rust.
Be careful when working with thin metal. This is a very capricious material that is easy to ruin. Or take the advice of the manufacturer, reject the angle grinder, and wield metal scissors or a circular saw.
Basic safety rules for metal cutting with an angle grinder
Diagram of location of the most dangerous sectors when working with an angle grinder, taking into account rebound and disc breakage.
The most essential precondition for cutting is strict observation of safety rules.
Sawmill manufacturers constantly try to minimize the risk of injuries by inventing and improving various safety systems. But no one takes care of the employee like he does.
The main hazards that occur when cutting metal are the ejection of broken disc splinters, the flow of sparks and tiny abrasive particles, the inability to hold a tool in your hands.
If the disc breaks or jams, the angle grinder can break free at the most inopportune moment and with great force, which is why you must anticipate the direction of its possible movement before you start.
Safety rules should not be neglected even when doing small jobs.
- Protect face, eyes, hands and, if possible, all parts of the body.
- Remove all combustible materials and objects in the direction of the discharge of sparks.
- Clamp the workpiece to be grinded with the angle grinder in a vise, if possible. Do not hold the workpiece with your free hand or press it down with your feet.
- If a new disc is installed, you must “spin” it with the angle grinder at maximum rpm and keep it far away: It could be defective and break into pieces.
- Install, adjust and secure the protective hood.
It is best to protect your face with a face shield while working with the angle grinder.
- When replacing discs during rest periods, disconnect the angle grinder from the mains.
- Use safety glasses or face shield to protect eyes and face. professionals use both when working for extended periods of time.
- Hold the angle grinder firmly during the entire work.
- To change the disc, wait until it has come to a complete stop.
- Wear protective gloves. Cotton gloves are undesirable, they do not provide enough protection, they can ignite, and the threads can get wrapped around the spindle of the angle grinder or disc.
- Position yourself at the work site so that your face, and if possible all parts of your body, are not in the plane of the disc rotation.
- Wait until the saw blade has come to a complete halt and then rest the saw blade upside down on the floor so as not to damage it;
- Unplug the angle grinder;
- Check that there is no smoke or other signs of ignition.
Typical mistake made when cutting metal: if the diameter of the new wheel is larger than the size of the protective cover, it is removed. The blade guard is a protection in case the blade breaks while you are cutting metal and breaks into pieces.
Instead of the disk, many put a cutter, saw or other improvised materials. Doing so is categorically forbidden.
Safety precautions when working with an angle grinder
This question is the most important one. After all, if you break the rules of operation of the angle grinder can get serious, sometimes incompatible with life injuries. Let’s look at the main ones that must be obeyed.
- Disc size. Many believe that if a small angle grinder put a large disc, removing the protective cover, nothing bad will happen. They say a large angle grinder is more powerful. This misconception is life-threatening. The fact is that the small angle grinder has a much higher speed, and therefore they need different discs. When installing a large disc, the master is likely not even have time to start work. the disc will fly when you turn on, which in the absence of a protective cover will lead to disastrous results.
- Direction of rotation. Some “craftsmen” do not like the fact that sparks fly under their feet when working. They unfold the shroud, reposition the handle, and begin work. This is what most often causes the disk to fly off when caught on a sharp edge. The angle grinder must rotate the disc “on itself” and not vice versa.
- Personal protective equipment. Use safety glasses or face shield, wear gloves, mask or respirator. It will save you from burns, eye injuries which, unfortunately, are not uncommon with this kind of work.
It is the most handy tool for cutting sheet metal. It combines the precision of a hand hacksaw, the speed of an angle grinder or jigsaw, and the quality of a circular saw. With electric scissors you can cut almost any broken and smooth curves, holes, grooves, and other geometric shapes. The battery-powered modification allows you to install and trim the corrugated board without power directly on site. The disadvantage is considered. the high cost of the unit.
DIY Sheet Metal Cutting Tool Angle Grinder Attachment
Performing many curved and irregular cuts on the sheet of corrugated board is best done with electric cutters. Their principle of operation is similar to the above manual shears shears. The difference lies in the way the cutting part of the punch moves. The translational motion is carried by the handwheel of the electric motor.
Work can be carried out either on the weight or on a fixed sheet. A hole is formed beforehand in order to install the cutting unit. Then the tool is installed and turned on.
When selecting, pay attention to the following parameters:
The main advantage of using electric die-cutters is the high output and a clean cut.