How to line the electric grass trimmer
How to properly wind the line in the trimmer, and what to do if the line is quickly consumed, breaks off
Unboxing and testing Einhell electric lawn trimmer GC-ET 3023 (grass trimmer)
The grass trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small shrubs. This device is distinguished by its ease of maintenance, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can handle it.
It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers.
Nozzles and fishing line are consumable tools, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it must be replaced. In this article, we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
Trimmer head with two antennae
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the fishing line (1 or 2).
There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems.
Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Electric Grass Trimmer GLR 450/4
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel.
After the fishing line is tucked into the grass trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability.
Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the grass trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
The line is flying out
The reason that the cord unwinds after starting the unit can also be a weakening of the spring inside the head.
In addition, there are times when the mowing head flies apart when the machine is turned on, and the spring installed in it is lost.
Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. Therefore, the cord does not hold, and under the influence of centrifugal force flies out.
Replacing the line in the Patriot trimmer
Display of line replacement in Patriot pt 535 grass trimmer reel.
Changing the line to a disc or knife
When ennobling a personal plot, park areas and other places where it is required to mow various kinds of plants, it is often necessary to change the cutting tool in the trimmer.
This is due to the fact that the standard cord installed in the mowing head can only cope with grasses.
But when a bush or young growth of trees appears in the path of an employee, the line cannot cope with such a task, and it needs to be changed to a more efficient cutting tool.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen such situations, and supplemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of discs, similar to circular saws.
If you replace the fishing line with a knife with several “petals”, then this tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the line to a disc, the user of the brushcutter has the opportunity to cut down shrubs or small trees.
Knives and discs are installed according to the following algorithm.
- The first step is to remove, by locking the shaft, the mowing head (turn clockwise) or the boot nut, if the unit has not yet been used.
- Position the saw or cutter blade so that it fits over the small protrusion (bushing).
- Install the attachment cover on top of the knife and screw the nut onto the shaft (counterclockwise).
- Tighten the nut (counterclockwise) using a pipe wrench.
For a better understanding of the process of changing tools, you can watch this video.
How to refill the trimmer line on your HYTR250E trimmer
Types of trimmer heads
The grass mowing head is a cylindrical body in which a spool (bobbin) is inserted with a fishing line (cord) tucked in it. This design can be installed on both gasoline and electric trimmers. The heads differ in the way of threading and feeding the cord and are of 3 types.
- Automatic. Cord feed is performed after the user reduces engine speed. Although the automatic line feed is convenient if a large amount of work is being done, such bobbins have one drawback. a high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of this type of heads does not require the user to perform complex manipulations. The principle of their operation is designed in such a way that the cord lengthens automatically while the apparatus is operating at full speed. It is enough to lightly bang the grass trimmer head on the ground (this removes the blocking of the cord), and the line is pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force, and then it is cut to the required length with a knife located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the device must be stopped, after which the line is pulled manually.
Based on the above, semi-automatic bobbins are the best option. It should also be borne in mind that grass trimmer reels are single-string (used only for trimming grass) and two-string, which are used for mowing tall grass and small, thin-stemmed bushes.
Grass trimmer head modification
The mowing heads of the grass trimmer can be of various modifications: single-line for trimming the lawn (mows with one line of fishing line); two-string for mowing grass and land clearing with automatic line feed or manual string length adjustment.
Modern growers are increasingly offering gardeners versatile grass trimmers with two-line automatic mowing heads.
Coil with two working antennas
In these types of reels, the number of grooves for winding the mowing line lying inside the reel must be determined:
- one groove. both tendrils are wound together along one groove;
- two grooves. each barbell is wound on a separate groove.
In both cases, a fishing line with a length of 2-3 m is taken.
On reels with one reel, the line is pulled into the through hole, its ends (antennae) are folded together and aligned, and then wound in the opposite direction of rotation of the drum from the side of the rod. the arrow usually indicates the correct direction of winding.
If there are fixing grooves, the ends of the mowing line can be traced in them or held by the fingers of the free hand, pass through the through hole in the outer half of the bobbin, the bobbin is closed and attached to the rod finishing.
The difference between winding the mowing line on reels with two reels is that initially the 2-5 m length of the mowing line is folded in half (to define the middle fold), and the folding loop is inserted into a special groove between the grooves. Both cutter line tendrils are wound around each groove, antenna retention and spool assembly are the same as described above for single groove.
The first implementation of this procedure can be long and rather laborious, but with time and experience, this task will be solved much faster and easier.
The video below will clearly show you how to fill the line in the reel of the grass trimmer and rewind it correctly. this operation is easy and will surely succeed with some patience:
How to choose a fishing line. length, diameter, restrictions
IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER! Do not use fishing line or metal cables for the grass trimmer. This replacement is ineffective and dangerous. The rope can injure not only the mower himself, but also those around him.
In terms of length, you should rely on the estimated frequency of use of the grass trimmer. The more often, the more it costs to stock up expenses.
Information about the possible line diameter can be found on the body grass trimmer spools. Most likely, the range will be indicated there. The thickness varies from 1.2 to 4 mm. Choose the appropriate option, taking into account the characteristics of the cultivated area. The larger the diameter, the easier it is to mow tough grass.
Threading the line into the reel of a grass trimmer is a relatively straightforward procedure, provided you follow a specific procedure. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. After deciding on the length of the cord, follow the instructions below:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Start charging from the center board that divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last in half.
- Determine in which direction you want to wind the line. To do this, take a closer look at the bobbin, which may contain an arrow or an inscription. She indicates the side of the winding. If there are no markings on the reel, then look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind in the opposite direction.
- The consumables should be washed gently, turn to turn. Try to stick to the maximum thread tension.
- After completing the lining, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into a groove on the side of the coil that fits in diameter. The other end (longer), attach in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer bobbin.
- After securing the fishing line, cut off the ends. Do not forget to leave allowances of about 10 cm.
- Place the loaded bobbin onto the mowing head of the device. To do this, you need to alternately insert and pull the thread into the outlet holes of the head, in order to then place the bobbin of the device into the skin.
- Using the required force, pull the cord out of the locking grooves and tighten the material. After completing this step, put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding of the line to the spool
There is another way to wind the cord around the grass trimmer, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. The replacement is done like this:
- Bend one end of the cord into a crochet hook.
- There should be a hole at the bottom of the bobbin to hold the line in place. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the device head is similar to the first method.
We carry out the winding of the fishing line
Slowly completed disassembly of the spool-spool without losing its spare parts allows you to move on to the main task. winding the fishing line into the reel. Technological features of the spool design and the number of working antennae determine the sequence of actions.
Trimmer head with two antennae
After removing the spool from the spool body, we determine the number of strands for winding the line (1 or 2). There is no fundamental difference between bobbins with one and two grooves, but if carelessly threading into the twin groove, there will be operational problems. Due to the likelihood of interlacing adjacent lines of the tool, a situation may arise when, after wear of the working antennae, it is impossible to remove new ones.
Regardless of the number of streams, a fishing line with a length of 1.5 to 3 meters is taken for refueling. Winding must be done in the opposite direction to the rotation of the head, since winding in the direction of travel will lead to the fact that the line will not be removed from the reel. After the fishing line is tucked into the grass trimmer coil, thread the free ends (15-30 cm) into special holes. Next, we assemble the head in the reverse order of disassembly and check the operability. Do not worry if the ends of the two antennae are very different in size, because when you start the grass trimmer, the knife installed on the protection will cut off the excess.
How to wind line around the spool of a grass trimmer: key points
A gasoline or electric grass trimmer is an indispensable tool in the arsenal of a modern summer resident or owner of his own home.
Thanks to these gardening devices, even a large garden plot can be mowed with ease. After purchasing this tool and performing several mows, many people think about how to properly wind the line on the reel of the grass trimmer. For an inexperienced user, the first operation to replace it will seem problematic and time-consuming, since the developers often do not fully reflect the instructions for replacing the fishing line in the operating manual.
First of all, to wind the fishing line, you need to remove the spool (bobbin, spool) from the grass trimmer. specific actions will depend on the complexity of the configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electric grass trimmers with a working motor and bottom reel usually have side buttons on either side of the reel. When pressed at the same time, the upper part of the spool together with the inner content for winding the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. It is advisable to disassemble the bobbin on a flat, smooth place so that the spring included in the structure does not jump out and is not lost;
- electric and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved bar without the possibility of installing a knife, as a rule, have spools with a special wing: in such designs, hold the spool in a stationary position with one hand, and rotate the locking reel on the rod with the wing nut counterclockwise with the other. After disconnecting the nut, the entire bobbin is removed.
- electric and petrol grass trimmers with the option to mount the blade on a straight bar (e.g. STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. For the rod to remain stationary, a screwdriver or other suitable object is inserted into this hole and, with slow rotation, such a mutual position is achieved when the screwdriver enters the hole and the bobbin is fixed. The spool body is then rotated clockwise (left-handed) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third cases, the coils, depending on the design, are disassembled in different ways. In bobbins with a lamb, a lamb is unscrewed, in coils with latches, the latches are pressed and one part of the coil is released from the other. If the halves of the bobbin are connected by thread, then it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely unscrewed.
How to replace the line on an electric trimmer
In fact, it makes no difference which oblique you use, be it electric or gasoline. Threading is the same. The only difference is that if you use a petrol grass scythe, you get more freedom, as you are not limited by the cable that is present on the electric scythe.
Yes, do not hesitate to use the special videos on installing or threading the line in an electric scooter, which can teach you much faster than simple reading.