How To Put The Nozzle On The Trimmer
In the classical sense, the trimmer is designed for mowing grass. But few people know that when changing the nozzle, it is used as a device for weeding weeds. Such a device significantly facilitates the work of summer residents and makes weeding better.
What nozzles exist and how to use them correctly, we will tell in the article.
What is a potato trimmer nozzle?
A trimmer is a device that runs on electricity or gasoline. The working part of the device is nozzles, which vary depending on the purpose. The equipment saves forces and time of summer residents and is characterized by high performance.
What does it look like
Nozzles on the trimmer are divided into two types:
- Disk. The working part is two pairs of cutting discs.
- Toothed. The working part consists of mills sequentially located on the shaft.
The choice of nozzle depends on the type of soil. Disk use mainly on heavy soils. They differ in rigidity and durability. Toothed type nozzles process light, loose soils. They are much lighter in weight than disk ones.
Principle of operation
The principle of operation of the trimmer with a nozzle for weeding is as follows. The transmission of torque from the engine to the hitch is carried out by means of a shaft arranged in a rod. Knives penetrate the soil, pulling weeds along with the root system from the soil. The weeds themselves remain on the surface.
Types of construction
The design of such a device, as a rule, is equipped with one or two pairs of cutting parts. They are attached to the trimmer instead of the gearbox at the bottom of the rod or near the motor. Lawn mowing works by burning liquid fuel.
Types of designs:
- Cultivator. It is considered the most popular nozzle. Its advantage is the simultaneous weeding and loosening of the soil. The cultivator consists of disk elements that are worn on one axis.
- Three- or two-blade knife. It is used for cutting weeds. It is a metal plate with two or three pointed blades at the edges.
- Trimmer head with fishing line. Designed for weed cutting. Handles aisles. For work, two types of fishing line are used: circular section and faceted.
Choose the right nozzle for your device. Too heavy options will overheat the engine.
To mount the working part, the following methods are used:
- Near the engine instead of the rod;
- Instead of the gearbox under the bar;
- The way in which the bar is disconnected in the middle.
The number of slots on the end of the rod for each model is different. Therefore, when choosing a nozzle, pay attention to this.
The best models and their prices
Refers to cultivating nozzles. Equipped with a subsoiler. Suitable for use in small areas.
- Manufacturer. Japan;
- Stamps: trimmer ECHO PAS-Tiller Cultivator, lawn mower PAS-265ES;
- Price: 9990 rubles.;
- Knife material: hardened steel;
- Dimensions of the working body: width. 24 cm, depth. 36 cm.
Kr400mp MAKITA 195710-3
Designed for small areas. The working part consists of mills.
- Manufacturer. Japan;
- Brand: EX2650LH, DUX60Z;
- Price: 17160 rub.;
- Knife material: metal;
- Dimensions of the working body: width. 16 cm, diameter of cutters. 23.3 cm.
The working body of the milling type
Designed for weeding, which carefully digs the soil, facilitating the penetration of moisture and nutrients and saturating it with oxygen.
- Manufacturer. Taiwan;
- Brand: for lawn mowing TAC;
- Price: 7900 rub.;
- Knife material: steel;
- Food: gasoline engine;
- Weight: 5 kg;
- Dimensions of the working body: width. 18 cm, diameter of cutters. 20 cm.
How to weed potatoes with a trimmer with a special nozzle
Timely and correctly carried out weeding of potatoes will ensure the active formation of leaves and tubers of the culture. The trimmer with nozzles will help to quickly and efficiently remove weeds.
For weeding potatoes using a trimmer, several rules are followed:
- Before work, put on equipment (goggles, a respirator), which will protect against dust and small particles.
- Weeding is carried out regularly every 14 days.
- Use the device at a height of plants up to 20 cm.
- They hold an event in dry weather in order to mulch the landings.
- Do not deepen the cutters too much. Depth of processing up to 2 cm is enough. This will provide the soil with oxygen and eliminate the dried crust.
- Do not use a device with low power for a long time. Take breaks to avoid overheating of the engine.
- After processing, the working part is disinfected in order to get rid of pathogens.
Safety rules when using the trimmer for weeding potatoes:
- Use metal knives only on straight-bar trimmers. Use plastic knives for a curved bar.
- Before use, be sure to read the instructions.
- Before starting work, check the health of the device.
- Wear protective equipment before starting work.
- Weed in dry weather.
- Petrol powered tools should be refueled 1 cm below the lower edge of the filler neck only outdoors, with the engine turned off and cooled.
- Warm up the engine at medium speed.
- Use the tool only for its intended purpose.
Advantages and disadvantages of using
Advantages of using a trimmer in the weeding process:
- Speed of task execution;
- High quality weeding;
- Copes with young weeds;
- Loosens and enriches the soil with oxygen;
- Weeding with a trimmer belong to organic farming;
- The possibility of weeding in small areas;
- The nozzle is equipped with a protective cover.
The disadvantages of using a trimmer for weeding:
- The weight of the device increases;
- The cutter does not allow pressing the blades close to the soil;
- During operation, there is constant vibration and noise;
- Long cultivation of the land using this device is unsafe for health due to gasoline vapors.
Is it possible to make such a nozzle with my own hands
It is not recommended to do the weeding nozzle manually, since it is difficult to choose its width and diameter of the cutters so that the trimmer motor is not damaged. But the price factor has a big impact on summer residents.
Craftsmen offer options for making nozzles with their own hands.
- 5 mm thick sheet of metal;
- Welding machine;
- Metal cutter;
Stages of manufacturing a three-blade nozzle:
- Take a sheet of metal.
- Draw circles with a diameter of 32, 22 and 11 cm.
- Cut them along the contour and make holes for the working shaft in the center of each circle.
- Take the fittings and weld the discs at a distance of 1-2 cm.
- Take the nails and weld them to the discs.
- It turns out a great homemade nozzle hedgehog.
When working with homemade tools, be sure to use a protective cover on the trimmer.
Before weeding with a trimmer, evaluate your capabilities. Many summer residents share their experiences.
Ivan, Minsk: “I think that with modern technologies it is necessary to use them. But their application must be approached wisely. For example, at the beginning I weed the potatoes exclusively with a trimmer, and with the moto I go through the tiller and cut the combs. Potatoes always turn out great. ”
Vitaly, Novgorod: “I have a small potato farm. Recently, I mechanized weeding potatoes, which helped reduce labor. It turned out both quickly and economically. ”
Potato weeding is an integral part of agricultural cultivation technology. The use of a trimmer for these purposes clearly facilitates and accelerates the weeding process. And the result. The harvest. Will delight in quality and quantity.
By purchasing a gas trimmer, the owners of country houses and summer cottages receive a fairly powerful and autonomous tool for various agricultural work. Over, manufacturers often offer various nozzles for them. Brush cutters, dead wood choppers, blowers Today we will talk in detail about the cultivator nozzle for the trimmer.
Design and mounting options
The cultivator nozzle comes in two versions:
- A disc, the cutting organs of which are a pair of cutting discs;
- Toothed, which is a series of cutters sequentially located on the shaft.
The fundamental difference lies only in the design of the cultivating unit. Disk nozzles are harder and therefore suitable for processing heavier soils, while toothed ones have a lower dead weight, but are designed for work on lighter soils.
The transmission of torque from the trimmer motor to the cultivator nozzle is carried out using a special shaft, which is arranged in a special rod (it will have to be purchased separately). This node is not interchangeable, and differs in the number of slots on the end of the rod: there may be seven or nine. Therefore, when planning to purchase a cultivator attachment, you need to understand that the Oleo-Mac attachment will not work with the Husqvarna trimmer, as well as vice versa.
The splined way of attaching discs or milling cutters to the shaft allows free movement of the cutting organs, which is ideal for cultivation, since it allows loosening the soil with a sufficiently wide grip (up to 200 250 mm per pass), without requiring a large amplitude of movement of the rod. Also removed are the restrictions on the density of the beds located on the site. With the extension of the beds, the convenience of working with the nozzle in question increases, since the turns will have to be done much less often.
Features of the nozzle
Any cultivator nozzle for the trimmer significantly increases the weight of the entire device assembly (by at least 5 6 kg). Therefore, long-term work with such an instrument is not for everyone. It is also necessary to introduce mechanical constraints on the power of the trimmer drive into the calculation. If the engine is designed for a power of no more than 1500 W, then the cultivator can only be cultivated with regularly loosened soil, or limited to hilling of breasts, potato bushes, etc.
Since the drive of gasoline trimmers is located behind the working one, and the drive rod is quite long, vibrations constantly occur during cultivation. Their value is determined by both the length of the rod and the changing load on the disks or mills. These vibrations are transmitted through the shoulder strap to the user’s hands, so it’s not always convenient to control the trimmer’s power button and hold the canopy. Therefore, prolonged soil cultivation using a cultivator nozzle is unsafe for health.
But not everything is so bad: the mobility of the gas trimmer makes it easy to cultivate the soil between the rows, and the absence of wheels on the mounted cultivator does not damage the plants on the beds.
The cultivator nozzle “does not like” compacted soil, and when it is first introduced into such soil, the rod drops sharply. Therefore, disk cultivators are equipped with a safety casing (toothed milling cutters are more likely to bend than break, although in this case a low protective shield from the legs would not hurt). The presence of a safety screen affects the visibility of the cultivator.
Is it worth it to do the cultivator nozzle yourself?
The price factor has a significant impact on the choice: whether to purchase such a nozzle, or to make it yourself. High-quality cultivator nozzles for the trimmer can be purchased at a price of 11,000 20,000 rubles, which justifies itself only with large volumes of work. It is inappropriate to buy such a node even in cases when the cultivated soil is heavy (for example, chernozem or loam): the cultivator does not raise the soil, but only moves the clods of earth from one place to another, moreover, together with the roots of the weeds or grass pulled out.
The technology for caring for vegetation will change: first, with a nozzle-knife, it is worth walking through the beds, cutting grass, and only then use the cultivator nozzle.
Having decided on the independent manufacture of the cultivator attachment to the trimmer, you should first evaluate the following:
- The design of the outlet section of the boom: if it is a flexible shaft, then you will have to forget about the cultivator: it will not be able to withstand constantly changing torques in amplitude. The cardan transmission is more functional, and the most successful design is the multi-spline rod, moreover, direct, and not curved.
- Drive power: if it is less than 1000 watts, the engine will overheat, and cultivation performance will drop sharply.
- Fuel tank volume: energy consumption will increase significantly, since the cultivator nozzle will have to be made from improvised materials. Therefore, the tank must contain at least 1 liter of fuel.
- Handle design. Ergonomic experts believe that the most convenient is the T-shaped handle, which provides the most accurate and reliable direction. It is difficult to hold a gas trimmer with a cultivator attachment, which is common in some models with a J-shaped handle.
If the existing trimmer meets the above requirements, and its owner has sufficient experience in performing such work, then it is quite possible to make a disk nozzle with your own hands. As for the gear type nozzles, their independent production is very time-consuming, and will not provide the desired quality.