How to start a STIHL chain saw. Possible Causes of Chainsaw Breakdown
How to start a STIHL ms 180 chain saw
To start the tool, several processes need to occur simultaneously:
- there must be a fuel mixture under the engine piston;
- it should be squeezed as much as possible;
- at this point a spark must be supplied for ignition and start.
Each of these processes happens when you pull the starter grip. When using a new chainsaw, you should not forget about the running-in.
However, in reality it is not so simple.Fuel for starting the tool in hot and cold engine should be different in the quality of the air mixture. Thus, the hot engine can start with a normal amount of air, which will ensure its stable operation and will normally keep the idle speed. However, a similar amount of air will be plenty to start a cold engine. Before starting the chainsaw, the starter will need to be pulled about 10 times and possibly more. To reduce the amount of air and increase the fuel supply in the carburetor of a chainsaw, a special flap is installed, which is responsible for the issue of adjusting the amount of air when starting the engine. The engine can be started quicker with the saw, so the starter motor and the saw in general will last longer.
It is very dangerous to start the chain saw at the petrol station.
Starting according to instructions
Different chainsaw models have different starting characteristics and mechanisms. We will consider the algorithm for starting the device on the example of a popular STIHL M. S. 180.
Before you start it is important to note that some chainsaw models’ manuals say that the emergency brake should be engaged before starting the tool for extra safety. But with the brake fixed it will be more difficult to start. It is best to unclip it accordingly.
If you do it right, it won’t be difficult. If you are worried that without locking the chainsaw will hurt you when you start it, it is better not to risk it at all. Here’s how you start your STIHL power tool:
- Before starting the machine, move the choke control lever to the down position. Remember that it only moves down to the bottom of the saw when the throttle button is pressed. Press the throttle trigger and move the lever down. So you will close the carburetor choke and fix the throttle in the pressed position;
- Next, pull the starter grip vigorously until you hear the characteristic sound of trying to start the machine. It should stop right away. The choke position adjustment lever is then moved up one step;
- When in this position, pull the starter lever again until the saw starts. And if it does start, because the throttle knob is locked in place, it will run at high rpm;
- Then press and release the throttle trigger once to let the choke control lever work automatically and reduce the engine speed;
- If it is necessary to put the chainsaw in operation when it is warm, you must put the lever in the operating position and then start it;
- To stop the machine engine, move the choke control lever to the up position.
STIHL STIHL 180 start up procedure
If you have any questions about how to reset the throttle trigger on your STIHL 180, please contact your STIHL servicing dealer. then this process can be illustrated by the example of the Model 180. In order to carry out work in the cold, you must turn on the ignition and set the engine control lever to the down position. The carburettor choke will shut off the air from the filter and the throttle will be open, so the fuel mixture will be enriched.
pull the starter grip several times until the first spark. This indicates that the mixture is in the cylinder and the equipment is ready to start. Before the choke is opened, the air damper will open and the choke will remain in the same position. You should move the control lever up one position. The air damper will open while the throttle valve remains in the same position.
The starter should be pulled and started. the tool will be running at higher rpm and the choke will be open. To set the throttle to idle, engage the throttle trigger and release it. The tool should now be able to work normally. This model of chainsaw does not have any additional devices to facilitate starting.
To start the chainsaw correctly, hold it the right way when you start it. Here the positioning of the saw is very important. The hold-down during start-up can be done in two ways.
First, hold the saw horizontally on level ground, with your left hand held straight up by the upper handle, with your right foot on the other hand and the tool pressed to the ground. It is comfortable to start the tool in this position because your right hand is free and the tool is held securely in place.
Regardless of what position you would like to start the saw, be sure to hold the brake on the chain saw.
For the second method hold your left hand in a standing position with the upper handle and press the rear handle between your legs. This position prevents you from having to start the power tool unnecessarily and secures it in place to reduce the risk of accidents.
Rent a Splitstone GM-245 mosaic sanding machine
- Manufacturer: Splitstone
- Type of motor: electric
- Power: 7, 4 kW
- Working width: 600 mm
- Weight: 155 kg
- Voltage: 380 V
Mosaic-grinder Splitstone GM-245 is designed for grinding of asphalt and concrete surfaces, as well as the polishing of natural stone floors. Mosaic sanding machine will help you to give your floor a perfectly flat surface
Starting without a starter motor
Many do-it-yourselfers often wonder whether a chainsaw can be put into action without the aid of a starter motor. The answer is very simple: it can’t be done at all. None of the manufacturers have provided other alternative ways to start. So even if you remove the starter and try to start the machine in some other way, it will still not work, because there will be violations in the cooling system. This system has a snail to transfer the flow of cold air from the flywheel impeller to the cylinder side. If it is not there, the engine will overheat and will eventually jam.
To start according to instructions
Different models of chain saws have their own peculiarities of starting and their own mechanisms. We will consider the algorithm of starting the device on the example of a popular model of STIHL M chain saw. S. 180.
Before starting the starting process, it should be noted that in the instructions to some models of chain saws, it is written that before starting the tool, the emergency stop brake should be engaged to provide additional safety. But it is more difficult to start with a fixed brake.
It would be better to unclog it accordingly.
If you do it right, it won’t be too much trouble. In case you are worried that without locking the chainsaw at the time of starting will cause damage, it is better not to risk it at all and do not take the job. So, the STIHL starting procedure is as follows:
- Before starting the machine, move the choke control lever to the down position. Remember that it only moves down to the bottom of the saw if you press the throttle button. Press the throttle button and move down the lever. This closes the carburetor choke and locks the throttle in the depressed position;
- Then, with vigorous movements jerk the starter knob until you hear the characteristic sound of trying to start the tool. It should stop immediately. Then the choke position adjustment lever is moved up one step;
- In this position, pull the starter lever again until the saw starts. And if it starts, then because the throttle knob is fixed pressed, the work will be done at high revolutions;
- Then press and release the throttle button once so that the choke adjustment lever automatically takes the operating position and the RPMs decrease;
- If it is necessary to put the warmed up chainsaw into operation, you should put the lever in the working position and then start it;
- To stop the engine of the machine, move the choke adjustment lever to the up position.
Working Principle of the Gasoline Cutter for Metal Cutting
Concrete and steel structures are the main objects that are processed with a gasoline torch. Working with metal structures does not require the use of powerful models, as when cutting concrete. The popular option for cutting steel elements is the KZHG 1B gasoline cutter, other models can also be used, with a power rating of up to 4,200 watts.
When working on metal structures, the following rules must be observed:
- to perform vertical cutting, the tool must be held at an angle of 90 degrees to the surface;
- the position of the protective cover should be such that sparks fly in the opposite direction from the worker;
- the engine should be running at a medium rpm when touching the steel surface and once the guide furrow is created the speed can be increased to the maximum;
- To get a good, straight, and jag-free cut, you should move the tool smoothly without jerking;
- Thin sheets of material and pipes with small diameters can be cut straight away with a vertical cut;
- Cut steel angles and beams in segments, be especially careful where parts meet at angles.
Remember that metal is strongly heated in the places of cutting, so you should touch the cut fragments after some time to avoid burns.
Getting ready to start
Before you start the chainsaw for the first time, check the condition of the saw headset and the quality of the bolt tension on the body. After that prepare the fuel mixture in the proportion specified by the manufacturer, correctly pour it into the tank of the tool. Do not start without first making sure that the machine is in good working order. it could break valuable parts or cause serious injury.
Preparation of fuel mixture
For proper chain saw operation it is recommended to take gasoline with octane number not less than 90. optimal variant. mark АI-92, the use of fuel of a lower quality can cause knocking of the engine, reducing its productivity.
Figure 2. Filling with fuel mix
Engine oil is required for both running-in and continuous operation. It is better to buy brands designed for specific chainsaw models. Proportions for the preparation of the fuel mixture for each saw indicate in the instruction manual, on average, it is recommended to mix at a rate of 1:33. For older domestic chain saws the fuel mix is prepared in the ratio of 1:15.
Important! Ethyl fuel is used for chainsaws with engines without a catalytic converter. Its presence can be determined by the green cap of the gas tank, for models with a catalytic converter is required to fill unleaded gasoline.
It is recommended that the fuel mix be prepared in a metal container. Pour the required volume of oil first, then dilute it with petrol and bring it to homogeneity. Carefully pour the prepared mixture into the gasoline saw’s tank, trying not to stain the body, screw the lid on tightly. The prepared mixture can be stored for no more than 30 days, after which the oxidation process starts. At the same time it is recommended to check the oil tank for chain lubrication, supplement it if necessary.
How to start the chain saw with a decompression valve
Before you start your STIHL chain saw with a decompression valve you need to turn it on. I’d like to point out that there is no decompression valve on the STIHL 250.
After the first burst of air the valve operates normally, and then, once the throttle trigger has been moved to the open position and the ignition sequence has begun, the decompression valve must be depressed again.
A schematic of the valve is shown in the following diagram.
In fact the valve does not make the startup faster, it just makes it easier and more comfortable.к. for during starting, a person would have to exert much less force.
A saw with a decompression valve, regardless of whether the engine is cold or hot, must be started using the valve to facilitate the engine’s cranking force. This will greatly increase the life of the starter and reduce the number of broken cords, t. к. It is installed on chainsaws with a large cylinder volume and correspondingly high compression.
Reasons a chainsaw won’t start
Carry out the start of the tool strictly according to the instructions. But if you have followed all the above steps, and the saw still does not start, it means that there is something wrong with it. There are several reasons why it may not start:
So, what to do to find the real reason for the tool not working?
First, you must be sure to tell if the tool does not start, the screws on the carburetor must never be twisted. And if you are not a professional in this field, do not even try with your own hands to tune anything or try to start the tool.
The steps listed below, which are necessary for the tool to start working, must be done in a strictly specified sequence. Begin the next step only if the previous one did not work. The actions are as follows:
- First, you can try just doing nothing with the tool for at least 5-10 minutes. There is a chance that during the start-up it has a spark plug poured, which is sometimes encountered. Wait, then try again according to the instructions;
- Try removing the tool housing cover, then remove the air filter from there, try to start the saw without it. If the filter is dirty it should be washed in soapy water, then dried or replaced with another;
- Unscrew the spark plug and check for a spark. If it is missing, you can try another one. If the spark does not appear as a result, this indicates that the ignition unit is damaged and the tool needs to be repaired. If there is still a spark and the chainsaw still fails to start, proceed to the next step;
- If the spark is present and the spark plug is wet, you need to turn the chainsaw upside down. That way, if there is any extra gasoline, it will come out of the cylinder. Need to jerk the starter without a candle about 10-15 times, this will air out the combustion chamber. Fire up the spark plug and then screw it back in. If possible, change it to another, try again to start the tool;
- If the spark plug is dry, take a syringe and fill it with one or two cc’s of gasoline mixture, then pour it into the cylinder. Try again to power the tool. There is a chance that a small particle got into the carburetor and is preventing the fuel from getting into the combustion chamber. Such a snot can be pulled out with the help of the flow, which is formed after starting the car by adding fuel directly into the cylinder itself;
- Unscrew and remove the muffler. But take care not to damage the gasket between the engine and the muffler. Let’s try again to start the chain saw without the air filter and muffler. When it’s not there, you can examine the piston from the inside. If there are scrapes or burrs on the piston or cylinder walls, or a piston ring is jammed with burrs, it is an indication that the piston is worn or broken. This often happens if you don’t put enough oil in the fuel system. In this case, the only solution is to take the tool to the service center or buy a new one, as to replace the piston will cost much more.
This tutorial has shown you how to start your chain saw using a STIHL example, and what to do if the tool fails to start. If you are new to this or have encountered a problem, this information may be helpful in the future.
STIHL concrete cutters: model overview and prices
STIHL is a German family-owned company which today supplies products to 160 countries around the world. The company is renowned for its wide range of cutting tools, not least of which are STIHL concrete cutters. With such a machine you can easily cut openings in concrete walls, size paving tiles, work with brick walls, etc.д.
Quality that has stood the test of time
STIHL was founded in Germany in 1926 and still has its headquarters in Germany. The company manufactures and sells motorized equipment for the construction, forest and garden industries. In addition to all in the catalog of the firm has specialized large-sized equipment:
- cleaning. snow blowers, street vacuum cleaners;
- Automotive. high pressure washers;
- agricultural. aerators, cultivators, brush cutters, etc.
Company takes 45 years to become world’s top-selling chainsaw brand. The products have an annual turnover of about 3,245 billion euros. Euro. At the same time, 90% of the goods are exported to other countries.
How To Adjust Your STIHL Saw Chain
All brand name products are equipped with an advanced, low-noise engine. The company’s products have an ergonomic design, reduced vibration and high quality build. Those factors have helped the company to maintain its leading position on today’s market for a long time.
Ranking of the best STIHL chain saws
The STIHL chain saws are selected according to various criteria. their cutting depth, cutting performance, safety, price and quality. This is the reason why we have identified a particular product range that enjoys the greatest popularity.
STIHL TS 400
The cut-off machine is equipped with a 3-stage filtration device and a compensator. The power unit has a gasoline engine with a capacity of 3.2 kW and a displacement of 66.7 cm3. The saw blade with a sufficiently large diameter of 350 mm is used as the main cutting element.
Features like this make it possible to cut through materials up to 125 mm deep. Environmentally friendly or high quality standard gasoline. Fuel tank holds up to 700 ml of fuel. Machine weight 9,6 kg, its
STIHL TS 420
The STIHL TS 420 petrol cutter is equipped with a professional, powerful 4.4L engine. с. or 3,2 kW. The design has a 22-millimeter socket, so you can mount a disc diameter of 350 mm. Such a cutter creates an opening of up to 125 mm. This model is designed for intensive and prolonged work. It is also possible to mount the TC 420 on a dolly, but this is considered a separate option.
Robust and impact-resistant plastic housing. The design includes a 2-MIX series engine with reduced fuel consumption, lower emissions, and increased motor life. Runs on AI92 gasoline with an additional additive. Includes, in addition to the device itself, abrasive metal disc for STIHL concrete cutters, a spark plug wrench, instructions for use and a slotted screwdriver. The German device weighs up to 9.6 kg and is sold at a price of 50,000.
STIHL TS 500I
The device is designed for professional and semi-professional use for cutting concrete, metal pipes, beams, asphalt and stone. 5.4 litre engine. с. Starts with an easy start, which makes operation much easier. Electronic injection system provides the unit with increased torque value in a fairly wide range of engine speeds. The saw has a 35 cm diameter blade housing which makes it possible to make cuts up to 125 mm deep.
The model’s advantages include the semi-automatic pressing system, electronic control of the fluid supply, anti-vibration device, and the ergonomic arrangement of all control units.
STIHL TS 700
Portable chainsaw with the anti-vibration system and the water type of cooling is sold in online stores at a price of 58000. The STIHL TS boasts an engine power output of 5 kW or 6.8 hp. с., and reaches speeds of up to 2,200 rpm at idle speed and 5,080 rpm at high operating level.
The saw blade is the standard size of 350 mm and can be used to make cuts up to 125 mm deep. The power unit is petrol-powered and operates at a noise level of 113 dB. Fuel tank can hold up to 1.2 liters of fuel. Weighs 11.6 kg.
STIHL TS 800
The TS 800 chain saw is a powerful machine that has been used successfully in industry and construction. This variant is considered an excellent device to be used in combination with the FW20 cart. The STIHL TS 800 is fitted with a two-stroke motor with soft-start and anti-vibration system. Here there is a water connection for wet cutting.
How to start chain saws with a decompression valve
Before you start your STIHL chain saw with a decompression valve, you need to turn it on. I would like to point out that there is no decompression valve on the STIHL 250.
After the first flare, the valve is set to normal operation, respectively, after the engine control lever is set to the open air damper position and the start-up continues, you must press the decompression valve again.
A schematic of the valve operation is shown in the illustration below.
In fact, the valve does not make the start faster, it just simplifies the process and makes it more comfortable, t.к. to start the chain saw the operator needs to use much less force.
A saw with a decompression valve, regardless of whether the engine is cold or hot, must be started using the valve to facilitate the engine cranking force. This will greatly increase the life of the starter and reduce the number of broken cords, t. к. It is installed on chainsaws with a larger cylinder volume and corresponding compression.
How to start a chain saw: STIHL saw instruction
How to start your chain saw: STIHL saw instruction
Virtually everyone who lives in a private home or has a garden, from time to time uses a chainsaw that runs on a gasoline internal combustion engine. Beginners often have a question about how to properly start a chainsaw. It is worth noting that professional, semi-professional and household tools wind up about the same. How to do this. as explained in the article.
- How to start the tool
- Start according to instructions
- Tool retention
- Starting without a starter
- Reasons why a chainsaw does not start
How to start a STIHL chain saw
Don’t forget to use protective equipment that not only guarantees your safety, but also ensures comfortable work.
Certain steps have to be followed in order to start the tool correctly:
Some models are equipped with ErgoStart, which makes starting easier. An additional spring located between the coil and crankshaft minimizes compression pressure. This avoids the stress caused by jerky movements. This accessory allows a smooth, controlled start of the engine.
There is also the ElastoStart starter. This technology is a built-in damping element that absorbs the load when the starter cord is pulled away. Additional use of a manual fuel pump and decompression valve gives STIHL chain saws a smooth, jerk-free start.
Also features a decompression system for easy starting. It allows for longer valve opening times, resulting in less heat, lower compression pressures, and minimized boosts. This significantly reduces the number of attempts needed to start the engine and reduces the pull of the cable drive.
Some chain saws also have a manual fuel pump and decompression valve. Both systems offer individual benefits.
A decompression valve, for example, lets some of the compressed mixture out of the cylinder and reduces the pulling force on the starter rope. Opens manually and closes automatically on first ignition.
Manual pump is controlled by a button that is made in the form of a soft cover. You need far fewer starting maneuvers due to timely pumping.
Proper starting is also about proper safety:
- Make sure there are no bystanders in the vicinity.
- Never work alone. If you need help, your partner can be there for you.
- Stay at least 3 m away from the refuelling point.
- Make sure the working area is kept clear of possible obstacles, such as branches and fallen trees. Also avoid slippery, icy or uneven ground.
The STIHL MS 211 C-BE chain saw has an additional manual fuel pump which makes it easier to start when it is cold.
Before starting a STIHL chain saw in cold conditions, it is necessary to pump fuel into the carburettor with a pump. The instructions for starting the STIHL 180 follow the same procedure.
What happens at the moment of pumping fuel primer, and how it helps more effectively start the saw?
When starting the saw without primer a few pulls of the starter motor are needed to pump the fuel into the carburettor by the impulse from the carburettor.
A pump is installed in the fuel system and pumps gasoline into the carburetor by hand, without lifting the starter. The effect of this action is obvious, the saw will start much more quickly.
How To Quickly Fix Your Recoil Pull Starter On Your Chainsaw, Blower Or WeedEater
Many owners of power tools, mistakenly believe that the hand pump can pump too much fuel into the carburetor and for this reason will flood the spark plug. This is fundamentally wrong. к. The system is able to circulate. superfluous petrol from the carburettor will be directed, by a special hose designed for it, back to the tank.
There is no need to use primer on a hot chain saw. к. Fuel in carburetor sufficient for starting.
|Model||STIHL MS 362 C-M||STIHL MS 362 C-M VW|
|Working volume (cm3)||59,0||59,0|
|Specific weight (kg/kW)||1,66||1,71|
|Sound pressure level/sound power level (dB(A))||105/117||105/117|
|Vibration level left/right (m/s²)||3,5/3,5||3,5/3,5|
|Rollomatic tires Cutting length (cm):||40/45||37/40|
|Equipment Features:||M-Tronic||M-Tronic electric carburettor heater (V), electric handle heater (W)|
Without fuel, without guide bar and saw chain; K-factor according to RL 2006/42/EG = 2.5 dB(A); K-factor according to RL 2006/42/EG = 2m/s²; depending on saw type, actual cutting length may be less than specified
Out of the box chainsaw assembly
New tool comes unassembled. The main components are the engine in a plastic box with controls, bar that holds the saw chain, the chain itself.
STIHL offers two mechanisms for attaching the guide bar and tightening the chain. a side block (e. g. STIHL MS 180) and a quick-action mechanism (e. g. STIHL MS 230).