How to trim a ceiling plinth in the corners
How to trim a skirting ceiling inner corner
When we evaluate a new repair, we involuntarily direct our eyes first of all to the ceiling. No matter how mind-blowing the interior would be, its score from the crooked joints of the finish will fall dramatically. In this article, we will tell the instructions about the ceiling skirting. how to make the angle of the joint perfectly even.
Having completed the finishing of the walls and ceiling, unwittingly there will be ugly transitions between them. For this purpose and use the fillets at the transition point of the two materials. When installing them, it is important to maintain the evenness and neatness of the joints. Article on the subject: how to glue the ceiling plinth on the glue and putty.
The first method. with the help of a plier
Professional plier with a rotary hacksaw For a long time, carpenters have invented such a special box with slots. a plier. It is easy to recognize it, among the variety of repair tools, by its distinctive appearance. This is the most convenient and indispensable device in solving the question of how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth.
Chisel usually looks in the form of a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool is the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool for cutting wooden parts at 90 and 45 degree angles. There are types of such a device and for professional work, with a rotating mechanism, in them the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position. How to properly cut a ceiling plinth Ceiling corners can be divided into internal and external, the way of joining them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make the plier with your own hands. To do this you can use 3 pieces of plywood or boards of equal size. First you need to put them in the shape of an inverted “U”, and make a marking of the corners. Then, according to the markings, cuts are made for the hacksaw almost to the bottom, and the boards are twisted.
- Measure the skirting board properly.
- After that, place the baseboard strip in the jig so that this position is exactly the same as the placement on the ceiling.
- The skirting board must be pressed firmly against the opposite wall of the jig. Hold it and press it down with your left hand.
- Put the hacksaw at a 45 degree angle in the special hole and cut the piece.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, Styrofoam) use a metal hacksaw or a regular construction knife. Then your work will be neat and with straight edges. To cut it accurately, you need to start cutting it from the front.
- Measure the length of the baseboard from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave the trimmer line on the underside with a pencil, marking the desired length. Note that the edge (its upper part) has to protrude a little, and then cut it off.
- Move the skirting board into the joiner and cut it.
- The adjacent plank must also be measured with a margin, and cut in a mirror image to the first part.
Trying on the ceiling plinth. the docking of parts should be perfectly flat. If the result is not achieved, and at the joints there are protrusions. you can trim the edges with an ordinary knife to perfect the joint. Checking the smooth joint In the video in this article, well described all the nuances:
The first way. with a pencil saw
Professional jigsaw with a rotary hacksaw A long time ago, carpenters invented such a special box with slots. the jigsaw. It is easy to recognize it, among the variety of repair tools, by its distinctive appearance. This is the most convenient and indispensable device in solving the question, how to cut the corners of the ceiling plinth.
Chisel usually looks in the form of a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool is the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool, for cutting wood at 90 and 45 degree angles. There are also kinds of such devices for professional work, with a rotating mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position. How to properly cut a ceiling plinth Ceiling corners can be divided into internal and external, the way of docking on them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a crossbar with your own hands. For this, you can use 3 scraps from plywood or boards of equal size. First you need to put them in the form of an inverted letter “U”, and make a marking of the corners. Then, according to the markings, cut notches under the hacksaw almost to the bottom, and the boards are twisted.
- Let’s make correct measurements.
- After that, install the baseboard plinth in the wood sketch so that this position is exactly the same as the placement on the ceiling.
- The baseboard must be pressed tightly against the opposite wall of the jig. Holding and pressing with the left hand.
- We put a hacksaw at an angle of 45 degrees in a special hole and cut the part.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, polystyrene foam) use a metal hacksaw or a normal construction knife. Then your work will be neat and with straight edges. To cut it accurately, you need to start cutting it from the front.
- Measure the length of the baseboard from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave a trimmer fishing line on the underside with a pencil, marking the desired length. Note that the edge (its top edge) must protrude slightly outwards.
- Move the skirting board into the wire and cut it.
- The adjacent strip should also be measured with a margin, and cut in a mirror image to the first piece.
Try on the ceiling plinth. the joining of parts must be perfectly even. If the result is not achieved, and there are bulges at the joints. you can trim the edges with a regular knife to a perfect joint. Check the even joint The video in this article, well described all the nuances:
Method two. without additional tools
For the inside corner, you can use the easiest way to perfect the joint. by marking on the ceiling. Another example how to cut a corner nice and flat.
The end result is an even angle of 45 degrees, if you run a trimmer line from the intersection point to the edge of the part. This method of how to cut the baseboard is available to everyone, without having special tools.
What tools can be used to cut corners
Cutting ceiling plinth (outer corner) with explanations will be a good help to a beginner.
How to cut a skirting board without a joiner
Let’s say you urgently need to glue the ceiling plinth.
How to make a corner without a joiner? It is possible, although you will have to spend more time. Proceed as follows.
- First cut both parts of the skirting board at a right angle.
- The position of the elements is marked on the wall, and a trimmer line is applied to join them together. As a result we will see two intersecting lines. The point of their intersection is projected directly on the baseboard parts.
- The skirting board is placed on the ceiling and a trimmer line is drawn from one edge to the other.
- Finishing the parts is done with a box cutter or a construction knife.
- On paper depicts a virtual jigsaw with the drawing of lines at the desired angles. The baseboard tacks are attached to such a notch and the cutting is performed (with the blade of the knife held vertically).
How to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth with Комментарии и мнения владельцев from a specialist will help to deal with this problem.
Tip! Since the inner or outer corner is far from always perfectly shaped, the ceiling skirting will have noticeable gaps in the joints.
To make them less noticeable, plaster putty should be applied to the ends before gluing the baseboard. After joining the elements extra putty is removed with a rubber spatula. All gaps will be filled and the joint will be less noticeable.
Do not just glue and properly dock the tacks with the pattern. What to do if this happens? The answer is in the video.
How to cut an inside corner
To cut a ceiling plinth for an inside corner, you need to do the following.
- Measure the length of the skirting board by placing it on the ceiling.
- Place the skirting board in the mortise, pressing it against the far wall.
- Hold the baseboard with your left hand; position the hacksaw so that the handle is as close to your left hand as possible, and the angle is 45°. Carefully cut the strip.
- Measure the length of the second fillet (it will be located on the other side of the corner).
- Place it against the far side of the wort and press down with your right hand.
- The handle of the hacksaw should be close to your right hand, and the angle should be 45°. Carefully cut off.
How to trim the baseboard for the outside corner
If you cut the baseboard at a 90° angle, you’ll get a hole between the slats
The outer corner should be cut according to this scheme.
- Mark the dimensions of the skirting board by laying it on the ceiling.
- Lean the skirting board against the near wall of the plinthole, holding it with your left hand. Select the 45° position so that the handle is close to your left hand. Cut the fillet.
- Position the second bar against the same wall, holding it with your right hand.
- Select a 45° angle so that the handle of the hacksaw is close to your right hand. Cut to.
The first method is with the jigsaw
The Professional Jigsaw with a Pivoting Hacksaw
The chisel usually looks like a tray with vertical holes for a hacksaw. It can be made of wood, metal or plastic. This tool represents the oldest and simplest carpenter’s tool, designed for cutting wooden parts at 90° and 45° angles. There are types of such a device and for professional work, with a swiveling mechanism, in which the cutting tool can be rotated and fixed in any position.
How to cut a ceiling plinth
Ceiling corners are divided into interior and exterior, the method of joining them is slightly different.
If necessary, you can make a jig with your own hands. You will need three scraps of plywood or boards of equal size. First, they are enclosed in the form of an inverted “U” and make a marking of the corners. Then, according to the markings, cut notches under the hacksaw almost to the bottom, and the boards are twisted.
- Make correct measurements.
- Install the baseboard plank in the jig so that this position is exactly the same as the placement on the ceiling.
- The skirting boards must be pressed tightly against the opposite wall of the jigsaw. Hold and press with your free hand.
- Put the hacksaw at a 45° angle in a special hole and cut the part.
When cutting soft materials (PVC, polystyrene foam) use a metal saw or a simple construction knife. Then the work will be neat and with straight edges.
- Measure the length of the baseboard from the nearest wall to the outer corner, leave on the underside of the line for a trimmer with a pencil, marking the desired length. It is necessary to take into account that the edge (its top part) should come out a little bit outside.
- The skirting board is moved into the jig and cut.
- The adjacent strip should also measure with a margin and cut in mirror reflection to the first part.
Trying on the ceiling skirting: the joints must be perfectly flat. If this is not the case and the joints are uneven, you can trim the edges with a regular knife until they are perfectly flush.
The second method. without additional tools
For the inner corner, you can use the easiest way to perfect the joint. by marking on the ceiling. Another example of how to cut a corner nice and flat.
The end result is an even 45° angle if you run a trimmer line from the point of intersection to the edge of the piece. Note that the above method of marking works only if the corners are perfectly straight.
How to cut the corner of a ceiling plinth without a joiner
If, despite all the useful properties of the plough, you do not have it handy, the soft foam ceiling plinth can be cut relatively easily without this device.
The easiest variant “works”, unfortunately, only on perfectly straight corners.
To do this, you need to press the skirting board firmly against the ceiling, aligning its edge with the adjacent wall and spend a trimmer line along the edge of the strip. The same is repeated on the other side of the corner. Further the point of intersection of lines is marked and the mark is transferred to the plinth pieces.
From the marking to the corner of the skirting board, draw a straight line. use it to make the cut.
Carry out the cutting of soft foam products can be an ordinary construction knife, in which case the edge is as even and convenient to dock.
If there is a question of how to cut a corner on the ceiling plinth from dense and hard materials, you have to create your own kind of a jigsaw.
Block: 4/9 | Character count: 929
With what we will cut?
Before you start the work, you should determine what material is used for ceiling plinths.
Table. Materials used in the manufacture of ceiling plinths.
For your information! There are special fittings that can facilitate the difficult process of installing the fillets. These are special corners, designed for the insertion of skirting boards.
They are useful in that they conceal various errors made when working with the installation of the fillets. It is enough to cut the skirting at an angle of 90 degrees, and the corner will do the rest of the work for you. It will disguise holes and gaps, if any, will give the ceiling a beautiful appearance and greatly facilitate the work.
Block: 3/7 | Number of characters: 2272
Ceiling plinth. fillet
To do it correctly, it is important to strictly follow the existing recommendations and rules of finishing works. And then you will be pleased with the result.
In fixing the fillet (so called this element) there are no difficulties: in fact, all varieties of products are mounted on a reliable adhesive.
In order to hang a ceiling plinth, even inexperienced repairmen have no difficulty. Worries them quite another thing: how to trim the ceiling skirting boards correctly? In fact, almost every room, no matter how intricately shaped, is equipped with corners.
And here in these internal corners of the individual elements of the skirting board must be beautifully and evenly docked. And in rooms especially with a complex configuration will have to fiddle over the outer corners. Let’s try to figure out how to be in each of these situations, and how to cut the desired part with the available tools.
Baseboard materials and cutting methods
First of all, let’s try to determine what the fillet can be made of, and with what particular material is better to cut.
On sale today you can find products made of foam (polyvinyl chloride), wood, polystyrene foam and polyurethane.
Perhaps some of the cheapest skirting boards are made of foam plastic, which is a fragile, soft and brittle material.
Even the fingers of the hand can leave dents, creases and defects on them easily. It is rather difficult to cut a nice and even corner of a PVC skirting board.
Inexperienced craftsmen can go to waste for this reason a large amount of purchased material. Also, this polymer has high electrostatic properties, which explains its ability to collect dust.
It is best to cut such a skirting board with a hacksaw or a sharp construction knife.
Products of expanded polystyrene are also inexpensive, although this material is more durable analogue of traditional foam.
It is also machined with a sharp instrument.
Extruded polystyrene foam
Skirting boards made of expanded polystyrene are a bit more expensive, a bit denser and harder to cut. But they are much less likely to crumble and break.
Therefore it is more convenient and easier to cut them. For this purpose it is convenient to use a hacksaw or a sharp knife.
Polyurethane skirting boards for the ceiling is currently perhaps one of the most expensive.
But they are worth their price: they are moisture-resistant, quite strong and tight, quite elastic.
Located over the kitchen plinth can deform and even crack a little.
They are perfectly cut with a special knife, not forming a crumb. But these products are very sensitive to temperature changes.
Wooden skirting boards for the ceiling. these are quite heavy and dense products, hard and durable.
They lend themselves well to processing with a special fine-toothed hacksaw. You can also use a reliable blade on metal. So how to cut a ceiling plinth correctly?
Prefabricated factory corners
Note that every master has the opportunity not to pore over the exact cut and fit corners.
In a construction store you can buy a prefabricated corner element, in which the prepared edges of the baseboard are easily inserted.
It is enough to measure the required length of the workpiece, and cut it at right angles.
All defects and imperfections are covered by this special element. But such a convenient way to use is not always possible, because the standard sizes of such factory corners can differ markedly from the size of the baseboard itself.
Such corners will stand out for their disproportionality, and it will not look very neat. But if the design of the room and the size of workpieces can take advantage of this method, they should not be neglected.
Trimming the fillet
Trimming with the jointer
How to evenly trim the corner of the ceiling plinth with it?
Chisel is called a simple tool used by carpenters. It can be used to trim all types of workpieces at the right angle.
It is usually a wooden, metal or plastic tray, which are made to cut at an angle of 45 ° and 90 ° special vertical slots.
There are complicated designs, on which, in addition to the named corners, there is also a hole to make a 60-degree cut.
For professional work, a special plank is available. Its swivel mechanism allows fixing the cutting blade in relation to the workpiece at any given angle.
The prepared skirting board is applied to the ceiling, the required length is set aside.
Then this same bar is inserted into the jig exactly as it will be positioned on the ceiling. It must be pressed against the far wall of the device. Hold the skirting board in this position with the left hand.
The saw blade should be in such a position that its angle is 45 degrees, and the handle as close to the hand as possible. Trying to avoid exerting pressure on the saw, we carefully cut the workpiece.
Next, the skirting board must be cut off with a mating strip. It is also placed at the far wall of the tool, held and pressed down, this time with the right hand.
Similar to the previous procedure, the position of the hacksaw. its handle is close to the hand at an angle of 45 degrees. The baseboard is cut.
Then the finished, already trimmed strips are juxtaposed. the accuracy of fit is checked. It is believed that for better orientation, when making an inside corner, it is better to start cutting from the front of the product. The places of the cuts are usually adjusted with a file.
The correct way to observe more accurately the dimensions, first start to mark the inside corner, and only then proceed to the outer.
Otherwise it may happen that along the entire length of the strip is not enough.
The strip is attached to the ceiling and the marks are made according to its size. Holding the ceiling plinth with the left hand, the ceiling plinth is pressed to the nearest wall, with the handle of the hacksaw close to the hand. The workpiece is cut off.
The reciprocating strip is pressed against the nearest wall, holding it in place with the right hand. The blade of the hacksaw must be at a 45° angle, and the handle of the tool must be close to the hand of the master. A piece of the workpiece is cut off, the corner is accurately docked.
Such processing of the edge of the details with mash is good if the angle between the walls is flat and straight (90 °).
But if it leaves much to be desired, it is worth using another method.
Marking on the ceiling
The way you mark the ceiling, you can cut the corner exactly and level. It has one disadvantage. it is rather inconvenient to hold the baseboard by weight during the procedure.
In all other respects, using this method, you will be able to mark the angle for cutting even more accurately than other methods.
When the skirting board is applied to the proposed place of installation, all size deviations and inaccuracies are immediately visible and accounted for.
Cutting a corner
First take a couple of pieces, then trim them at right angles. By pressing the end of the slat against a perpendicular wall, we put one slat. Outline on the ceiling trimmer line on the contour of the baseboard. We remove the first slat, then in the same way, keeping the end against the wall, attach a counter slat. Exactly the same way we mark the contour of the line for the trimmer.
The intersection point of the two separate lines is the mark at which the workpiece is cut. Each slat is applied to the surface again, on both marks the point of the future cut. From the found point to the other edge of the plinth plank draw a line for a trimmer. We cut the skirting boards along the previously made marks, accurately join them and place them in the place where they will be installed.
This method allows for more accurate treatment of interior corners.
Trimming a baseboard without a chisel
Agree, not everyone in the household will have a joinery tool, and buy it only for the baseboard. not a good idea. But you still need to trim the corners, because the neatness of the ceiling finish is at stake. How to be in this case?
Actually, it is quite possible to do without a joiner. There are even two ways to trim the corners of the baseboard without a special tool: by resorting to marking on the wall and with a drawn false chisel. Let’s start with the first one.
The work is done as follows. For the inside corner:
- Place the trimmer strip on the ceiling that will be installed to the right of the corner. Run a straight trimmer line along the outside edge of the baseboard.
- Place the trim on the opposite side of the corner and run the trimmer line along the ceiling as well.
- Mark the place where the two lines meet with a dagger. Place the trimmer at the corner and transfer the mark to the corner, then run a neat trimmer line to the bottom corner of the piece. this is the line to trim the baseboard.
- With a hacksaw or office knife, cut the necessary corner.
- Attach the plank to the right of the corner. Draw trimmer line along the ceiling along the baseboard, further away from the corner.
- Place the baseboard to the left of the corner. Place the trimmer line along the slat to the point where it intersects with the first line.
- Transfer to the plank two marks: the first. the intersection of lines on the ceiling, the second. the place where the corner of the room. Connect the two marks. you get a trimmer line for trimming the baseboard. Now all that’s left is to cut the corner and, if necessary, correct the gaps.
Trimming a corner with a false chisel
The third way to trim the corner of the baseboard is not quite usual. using a kind of false chisel. There are two ways to make such a “tool”.
The first is to draw a jig. You can use plain heavy paper or cardboard: draw two parallel lines on the sheet and, using a protractor or a simple angle, set off the angles with the required degree. The corner is cut in much the same way as with the joiner’s notcher: Hold the skirting board against the “tool”, make the required marks, and cut along those lines.
The second way. to make a prototype of the plinth from three wooden boards: connect them in the form of an oblong letter “U” and perform notches in 45 and 90 degrees. To mark the corners, you can use the same protractor.
Chisel made of wooden boards
Cutting the corners of the baseboard without a notch, it is very important not to miscalculate with the length of the plank and directly to the degree of notch. To avoid mistakes, at first it is better to cut blanks 10 cm longer, then try on the dry to the ceiling, and only after that adjust until you get the desired result. In addition, let’s not forget that not all bathrooms have ideal angles of 90 degrees. you still can’t do without correcting products.
Advice. Fix to the ceiling plinth trim strip only after adjusting the corner of the next baseboard blank. It is better to try on the table, not under the ceiling itself, as it takes more time, but the cut lines will be neater.
Thus, we have several ways of trimming ceiling plinths at once: with the help of a joiner’s chair, without a chair, with the use of a kind of false chisel. Whatever variant of execution of the corners you have not chosen, it is important to do everything in a precise and accurate manner. only in this case you will get a really effective tool for the final design of the ceiling, thereby making the interior of your bathroom aesthetically complete.