Mini Drill Adjustable Speed
A mini-drill is a universal tool with a wide range of applications, performing the functions of an electric drill, grinder and milling machine, only in much smaller volumes. This compact equipment, thanks to a diverse type of equipment, has great functionality.
It is used in everyday life and craft activities, hand made homework, interior decoration and home decoration. Mini-drills are indispensable when performing high-precision manipulations for processing a variety of materials and performing work operations in places where access by a volumetric power tool is limited or impossible.
What is this device, what are its functions and key selection criteria, taking into account the purposes of application. The answers to all these questions in our article.
Principle of action and features
A mini-drill is a compact and lightweight (weighing up to 1 kg) modified version of an electric drill, also called an engraver or a drill (by the name of the brand Dremel. The developer of this tool). The device is equipped with a lightweight housing, under which are located an asynchronous multi-speed motor with / without gearbox and a spindle with a collet chuck.
A collet of different diameters is attached to the motor shaft to fix the nozzles or supplemented with a flexible shaft to transmit rotation to the working tip when it is planned to perform work of special complexity.
According to the principle of operation, a mini-drill is similar to a conventional drill, screwdriver or angle grinder. The main differences between them are in the internal structure and operational properties.
A special feature of dozing is a high rotation speed (up to 40,000 rpm) at low power (up to 170 W). The basis of the mini-drill is a direct grinder. Equipment that is used to clean and grind hard-to-reach spots at the final stage of the pre-finishing finish. However, compared with a direct grinding machine, it has a higher rotation speed: 5000–35000 rpm. Versus 2800–11000 rpm.
Scope and features
Mini-drills are involved in many types of production activities:
- Jewelry Art;
- Watch making;
- Sculpture of small forms;
- Art cutting (wood, bone);
- Glass processing;
- Computer modding;
- Restoration of old cars;
- Modeling of aircraft;
- Instrument and mechanical engineering.
These compact devices have found application in various types of needlework related to the creation of relief or volumetric images on products made of metal, glass, ceramics or wood.
What can be done with the help of dozing:
- Drill holes with different diameters in wood, plastic, metal, precious materials, ceramics, glass;
- To form miniature joints in the tongue;
- To cut in a straight line, to grind, to polish the listed materials and to make their milling;
- Engrave on products;
- Clean surfaces from oxides, rust;
- Finish parts in two-stroke internal combustion engines to obtain accurate dimensions and achieve low surface roughness;
- Sharpen miniature blanks, apply patterns, drawings and inscriptions.
The fulfillment of all these functions becomes possible due to equipping the device with drills, milling cutters, sanding sheets, cutting discs, brushes, nozzles for working with various materials.
Classification and types
Mini Drill Adjustable Speed
Three types of mini-drills are distinguished depending on the power source and design solution.
- Standard Electrical Appliances. An ordinary network mini-drill has a distant external resemblance to a thick, large ballpoint pen, the end of which is equipped with a rotating working nozzle. Such a device, due to its small size and ergonomic shape, is convenient to take with one hand. Electrical equipment is often equipped with a flexible shaft (sleeve), which serves as an extension cord, which is attached to the main collet. The tip of the sleeve is equipped with a chuck, which simplifies work with dremel. The device itself can be conveniently placed on the table, and with your hand hold one end of the bendable nozzle.
The presence of the shaft allows you to achieve the necessary maneuverability when processing the thinnest workpieces and get a high-quality result, regardless of the complexity of the working conditions.
- Mobile devices with battery. Although the cost of cordless mini-drills is higher than network models, there is no fundamental difference between them. The only difference between devices with a battery is their own power supply, which makes it possible to use them without reference to an electrical outlet. Such equipment is equipped with a conventional charger and adapter for connection to the cigarette lighter socket of a car.
- Suspended Devices. Suspended models are equipped with a short square or cylindrical body with the possibility of its approach to the table or wall. The same sleeve departs from the body part as with standard electric engravers. Hanging devices are equipped with a foot pedal, after pressing which the power is transferred to the electric motor, which rotates the working tip, inserted into the collet on the spindle. The advantage of suspended mini-drills is the high-quality performance of the flexible shaft, which is very light and convenient for hand grip.
How to choose?
Today’s market for electrical appliances is replete with all kinds of mini-drill models, which creates certain difficulties in choosing the right tool. There are several points that you need to pay attention to when buying dozed in order to avoid mistakes and disappointments.
- Rated power Is a criterion that determines tool performance. When choosing equipment of optimal power, it is necessary to take into account the purpose of its application. If we are talking about home use, it is better to give preference to models with power ratings up to 200 watts, and units from 240 watts are suitable for professionals.
- Maximum working revolutions. Units with a rotation speed of 20,000 rpm provide comfort. Although against the background of branded models with a power of 150–160 W, capable of delivering 30,000–35,000 rpm, this value seems to be more than modest. The simplest engravers for amateur purposes, the number of revolutions varies in the range of 6000-10000 rpm.
- Speed control. The presence of a speed controller increases the usability of the tool. Most mini-drills have a smooth adjustment of the rotational speed, which makes it possible to adjust the speed of the electric motor from a safe minimum to maximum.
- Weight and ergonomics. Hand aggregates should not be heavy, otherwise the hand will quickly get tired, which can negatively affect the quality of work. Optimally, when tools weigh 600-800 gr. And at the same time possess high power.
- Noise characteristics. If in the repair shops the noise level indicator of the engraver is not so important, then for use in living conditions, low-noise equipment is definitely necessary so as not to cause dissatisfaction of the neighbors.
- Collet working diameter. It is the collet parameters that determine the ability to install certain nozzles in the tool. The most common collet options are Ø 2.4 and Ø 3.2 mm. They are equally suitable for domestic use, hobbies and professional handling.
- Equipment. The cheapest mini-drills are sold without accessories. Choosing products of a more expensive price segment, you can become the owner of an expanded basic set consisting of a flexible shaft, an angular adapter, a box with accessories, spare graphite brushes for a motor, collets with different diameters, letter patterns for engraving, a suspension stand and a case.
- Manufacturer and cost. Now there are many reputable manufacturers of high-quality and reliable power tools, among them. Boshe, Dremel, Einhell, Elitech, Hammer, Patriot, Sturm, Whirlwind, Diold, Bison, Caliber. For equipment of different brands differ. And very significantly. When plans include using an engraver from case to case, there is no point in overpaying for expensive professional equipment of a renowned manufacturer.
Only suspiciously cheap engravers of unknown “origin” are subject to doubt, to which the guarantee is not attached.