Stand For Angle Grinder Steeper You Can’t Think Of
DIY do-it-yourself stand constructions
Angle grinder belongs to the category of tools that have a high degree of risk of injury. This is due to the fact that the angle saw blade rotates at high speeds, and the likelihood of it jamming in the workpiece is very high. This is especially true for long longitudinal cuts, when an abrasive tool is clamped when the metal is heated. When cutting pipes, the deleted segment can force the cutting disc. This leads to a break in the body of the blade. To avoid the negative consequences of working with angle grinders, a stand for an angle grinder is used.
When the angle grinder is rigidly fixed and moves only along a predetermined path, observing a certain cutting angle, the probability of danger decreases significantly. Racks for angle grinders are available for sale, but this is not such a complex mechanism that you must buy.
For your instrument, you can make a simple fixture with your own hands. It will come out cheaper, and a hand-developed design for a specific model will always be more accurately tailored.
Overview of the options for manufacturing racks for angle grinder
Rack for angle grinders, as mentioned above, is a simple mechanism, but this statement applies only to the simplest designs. Having considered the whole variety of factory-made devices and homemade products, three main types of devices can be distinguished:
- The simplest frame of the pendulum type;
- Pendulum mechanism with a swivel unit for cutting the angle grinder at different angles;
- Bed for an angle grinder with a so-called broach.
The most common and easy-to-make home-made machine for an angle grinder is built on the basis of a pendulum console. With the help of such equipment, it is possible to easily saw various pipes of both round and profile sections, as well as rods, fittings and metal parts, the thickness of which does not exceed the thickness of the working part of the disk, and the length of the cut can be adjusted by moving the workpiece across the bed. Features of the device for angle grinders:
- Simplicity in manufacturing and operation;
- High reliability, since only one moving unit is used here;
- Such equipment will not work at an angle;
- It is difficult to cut sheet material: small accuracy and injury risk.
The device bed with a rotary mechanism for angle grinder allows you to carry out all the above metal cutting operations, but this adds the function of cutting an angle grinder at different angles. There is also a pendulum assembly, and besides it, the pendulum support itself can be rotated, or the stop-clamp is rotated, which holds the workpiece. Features of the device:
- Advanced metalworking angle grinder;
- Relative simplicity of design;
- Here it is more difficult to obtain an exact perpendicular and angular cut due to the rotary mechanism and the need to calibrate the angle.
The mechanism with the broach is the most difficult to execute. In it, in addition to the pendulum assembly, the pulling assembly uses an angle grinder in the horizontal direction.
Drawings of the bed for angle grinder
The bed for the angle grinder can be of different designs, as shown in the drawings:
- With a vertical stand when the angle grinder is raised above the base. This design has a more convenient control and a larger longitudinal cut.
- Without a vertical stand. Here the hinge forms directly from the base. This type of construction is the simplest and allows angle grinders to cut pipes of small diameter and cross-section.
A device for a pendulum-type angle grinder can be easily created with your own hands. The main structural elements:
- A support or bed is the part from which the vertical stand departs and where the workpiece for cutting is laid. The supporting part also performs the main function. Keeping the entire machine in a stable position.
- A vertical stationary stand, or a tripod for angle grinders. This structural element is part of the pendulum mechanism and a support for the movable console.
- A movable bar or console is a part to which an angle grinder is directly attached.
The supporting part is mainly made of sheet metal. As it can be a factory bed, for example from a drilling machine or any other, where there is a flat platform. On the frame for angle grinder there must be a guide where the pipe rests during cutting. The guide prevents the workpiece from moving during the operation. In addition, for greater convenience, it is possible to provide the support with a clamping mechanism, which will motionlessly fix the pipe to the guide during the operation of the angle grinder.
A stand, or tripod, is an upright element. It can be made of profile or round pipe. In the upper part, a bearing assembly is mounted for the movable connection of the rack with the pendulum console angle grinder. The height of the tripod depends on the size of the angle grinder and the pendulum device. The type of pipe (its geometric parameters and wall thickness) is selected depending on the power and mass of the power tool.
The pendulum bar of the angle grinder has two functions. Firstly, it rigidly holds the angle grinder, thereby preventing the disk from shifting in the axial direction. Secondly, with the help of it, the tool is delivered to the processing area, that is, the angle grinder can lower to the working position, cut and again return to its original position. To control the console, it also has a special handle.
Counterweight design with shock absorber
An important part of the frame for angle grinders is the counterweight. This structural element performs a very specific function: it returns the angle grinder to its original position when the metal cutting operation is completed. If you do not provide a counterweight, it will be very difficult to work the angle grinder. Before installing the workpiece, you will have to lift it and hold it on your hands. Including angle grinders will also have to be weighed, which is unsafe. Counterweights come in two designs:
- The traditional type. It is done by installing a weight on the tail of the console bar. The weight of the load is selected so that in the initial position the angle grinder is at the top, but when it is lowered onto the workpiece, it does not have to apply much effort.
- Spring mechanism as a counterweight. In this case, in the upper position the angle grinder is held by the spring force. The most suitable for these purposes is a spring for closing the door leaf.
A shock absorber or stop is also necessary in the construction of the stand for the angle grinder. The main objective of such an element is to prevent the tool from moving when moving down below a certain level. At the moment when the pipe is completely cut, the lowering of the angle grinder should stop.
The emphasis can be made rigid, for example, in the form of a metal stand with a rubber gasket at the point of contact with angle grinders, or soft. It can be implemented due to a small spring at the end.
Sheet steel cutting bed
Machine tools for grinders, which can be used to cut sheet steel material, are much more complicated than conventional pendulum ones. The main difficulty here is that the sheet of metal has certain linear dimensions, and evenness of cutting must be observed throughout the line. Another complication here can be considered the effect of heating the cutting area, in which the metal expands and clamps the angle grinder disk in the channel, which is fraught with jamming and tearing of the tool with all the ensuing consequences.
The main parts of such a machine:
- Base. Ideally, it should be no less than the sheet that the angle grinder is supposed to cut, or allow the entire cutting area to be laid on it. It is necessary to use steel as a material for manufacturing, so that it takes heat on itself, not allowing the steel cutting lines to overheat.
- U-shaped rack. This structural element serves as a guide for pulling the angle grinder. The length of the segment between the legs of the rack should be sufficient to put a sheet between them, plus allow the angle grinder to fit freely into the body.
- A carriage is a movable element that moves along a p-shaped strut on bearings. A pendulum console and a depth limiter for lowering the cutting disc are attached to it.
- The pendulum console serves as a mechanism for lowering the angle grinder to the level of the working position. A tool control handle is also attached to it.
You need to stretch the angle grinder in the direction opposite to the direction of the sparks, otherwise the tool will undermine with a high probability of jamming.
The simplest DIY solution
A simple fixture for an angle grinder can be made as follows:
- As the base, a sheet of chipboard with a thickness of 20 mm is taken and two blanks with a size of 500×400 mm are cut out.
- The workpieces are combined and twisted together with self-tapping screws to make a 40 mm thick plate.
- Take the narrow side and, stepping back from the edge in the middle to a distance of 100 mm, cut a 40×40 mm square with a jigsaw.
- Take a steel profile pipe with a cross section of 40×40 mm and a length of 500 mm. One edge of the pipe is coated with epoxy glue and inserted into the square cut at the base.
- When the stand adheres well to the base, stepping back from the top of the pipe 100 mm, a through hole with a diameter of 8 mm is drilled parallel to the short side.
- Take a section of a profile pipe with a length of 400 mm and a section of 30×30 mm and, stepping back from the edge of 50 mm, drill a through hole with a diameter of 8 mm. This is the pendulum console.
- The movable part is twisted with the stand so that it moves freely, but without backlash in the horizontal direction.
- The angle grinder is fixed to the console with steel clamps. The handle of the angle grinder will serve as a control.
Dear visitors of the site, designers, share in the comments, which, in your opinion, devices for the angle grinder are the most successful?
Racks For Grinders 230 DIY
Racks for angle grinder forces
If you need high quality rack for the angle grinder yourself, drawings, trainings and annotations set out below will help you achieve your goal. Making a rack is not a difficult task, but necessary for those who often have to deal with similar equipment.
Advantages of the stand angle grinder
Having made a special rack, you will be given a number of advantages from a similar design:
- The spinning rack holder provides the ability to make vertical movements, grafting angle grinders (angle grinder machine) for certain tasks to be performed;
- Probably the grinders at first with their own design predict the presence of threaded holes created for installing power tools on a desktop, bed. This simplifies the production process of the rack, allows you to position the angle grinder at the desired angle;
- Rack minimizes the risk of the angle grinder falling from your hands or accidentally slipping out of your hands. This often happens due to lethargy, a fright of the master, in other words, other reasons that make it necessary to lower concentration on the work process;
- The angle grinder stand eliminates the need to constantly hold the power tool in the palm of your hand. So you get tired less, increase labor productivity, for the shortest period of time you make not just parts.
Components for rack assembly
Homemade rack, created for an angle grinder or angle grinder, is made on its own based on different drawings. Therefore, before starting work, carefully buy a device with a design that is suitable specifically for you.
It is worth highlighting several main aspects of the assembly of the rack (bed) for your angle grinder.
- Profiled iron pipes. This is a common material on the basis of which racks are made. There the angle grinder will hold firmly, firmly and for a long time. Metal has what remains to make our client the right properties to be able to provide rack designs durability. The only controversial drawback of metal is the need to introduce welding to connect the parts of the bed. Although in some cases, welding is replaced by bolted connections, so at work you will need a drilling device.
- Lumber for the rack. Often, tree species are used as the main materials for the production of the bed. Do not think that such an option is completely unacceptable. Hardwood is able to handle high loads, not deform during the entire operational period. Lumber is easier to process than metal, so the assembly of the structure takes less time, asks for small abilities. If you do not have a particularly powerful angle grinder and are small in weight, you have what remains to be done for our client to make a bed specifically from strong wood.
- Compound. Rack can be assembled by a welding method as it is also called on bolted joints. The second option is more profitable in that such structures are easy to disassemble if desired.
Stand for angle grinder! Steeper than you can imagine!
Instagram. This time I made an unrealistically cool fixture for the ordinary.
Homemade rack for 230 angle grinder angle grinder. Homemade stand for grinder
Familiarity with the dual-pendulum mechanism racks for angle grinders, manufacturing process, assembly and tests.
If you are determined with the rack materials and the method of joining the bed structure, prepare the following tools and materials at work:
- Particleboard or metal sheet. This is necessary to create the working surface of the rack;
- Bolts, nuts, washers, wrenches of the appropriate size;
- 12 V relay;
- A spring of solid power;
- Profiled pipe;
- Hard metal corners;
- Grinding machine;
- Welding device.
Assembly rack designs
A home-made bed has the main main advantage of gaming slots. Low cash costs for improving the angle grinder. You can purchase a factory model, but it is an expensive pleasure. And racks additionally assembled in artisanal conditions often have similar properties with factory analogues.
This begs the logical question. Why pay only for what they do without the help of others?
However, a home-made bed makes certain demands on the master. He must:
- Have the least experience;
- Have the ability to work with angle grinders;
- Carefully drill;
- Work with the welding machine;
- Have enough time to complete the work on improving the angle grinder;
- Be patient in case something doesn’t go to that extent and you have to redo the rack structure.
If this happens, then it remains only to follow the annotations on the assembly of the rack.
- Develop a detailed drawing of the rack, otherwise use the finished drawings of the bed. It is better to adapt the design directly for yourself and your model, since this way you can assemble a very comfortable, ergonomic bed.
- Examine the factory models of the stand for the angle grinder. They should be developed under certain angle grinders; otherwise, they should be universal. This is an important point in the acquisition of an auxiliary construction for an angle grinder.
- Check the current condition of the angle grinder. Use in the construction of the frame an old, poorly functioning angle grinder typewriter is not advisable. It is better to throw it for rough manual processing of workpieces, and install the latest, efficient and productive angle grinder on the bed.
- To assemble the simplest frame for an angle grinder, you will need two frames and a holder.
- Cut pieces of suitable length from the iron pipe according to the drawings of the rack, and make holes at the required points.
- With the welding machine, make the frames. Upper and lower. Welding can be replaced by bolted connections, although reliable welding would be better under such circumstances.
- Cut a work surface from an iron sheet or chipboard plate. For massive grinders, iron tables are preferred, for light angle grinders a sheet of chipboard will be enough.
- On the platform (desktop), install the lower frame, after which the upper frame is welded to it or bolted to it.
- The holder is bolted to the vertical frame. Make sure that the holder is free to rotate observing the principle of the pendulum.
- Install a strong spring. This item will allow you to return angle grinder typewriter in their own skill initial position. At one end of the spring, fix it on the upper end of the vertical frame, and the other end is mounted on the holder. Over time, the spring can stretch and wear out, which is a natural phenomenon. Therefore, with active use it will be necessary to change the spring from time to time.
- To increase the comfort level while working on an angle grinder with a bed, use a 12 V relay to connect a switching button. Through this element, power will be supplied to the device. So you do not need to reach the button on the angle grinder every time.
- Make sure that the wiring is in good condition, select a separate outlet for the machine. The machine does not have its weight characteristics here, alas, you should not work on the machine through an extension cord to which other consumers are connected.
- Use a primer for metal, varnishes and paints to give the frame angle grinder complete your look. This will protect the structure from rust, will allow you to get aesthetic pleasure from the completed rack.
- Add a movable ruler and a stop to the structure. Using them you will increase the accuracy of processing blanks.
Inspect the operation of the bed for the angle grinder only at idle at the end of assembly work.
How to make a stand for a do-it-yourself angle grinder
The angle grinder, better known as the angle grinder, is a universal tool that has found its application not only in the construction industry, but also in household appliances. Angle grinder allows not only cutting, but also grinding, sharpening, polishing, peeling various types of materials. In order to expand the capabilities of the tool, as well as facilitate its use, you can build a special rack. This is such a stand for an angle grinder, which allows cutting materials with smooth edges, and also reduces the load on the hands due to the available clamps and stops.
Necessary tools and materials
The reliability of the planned homemade rack depends on such a criterion as the stability of the base. The design of the manufactured rack must satisfy the needs of such factors as the strength and rigidity of the base. Do not forget that during operation the angle grinder has a sufficient level of vibration, which should not affect the design of the rack.
Below we will consider the step-by-step process of manufacturing a stand for a grinder, so for a start you should stock up with the following type of materials:
- Steel profile: 25252.5 mm.
- Steel profile: 40202.5 mm.
- Steel sheet 4-5 mm thick.
- 2 ball bearings
- A bar of diameter that is equal to the inner diameter of the bearings used.
- Rod with a diameter of 10 mm.
- Metal tire 204 mm.
- Nuts and bolts.
In addition, you will need to make sure that you have a number of the following tools: angle grinder, drill, spanners and welding machine. If there is no welding machine, the task will be somewhat more complicated, but at the same time, all connections will need to be made using bolt fasteners.
Angle grinder can be used with a circle diameter of 125 mm or more. Be sure this tool must be for professional use. The manufacture of the simple structure in question should be made directly under the existing tool.
Homemade bed for angle grinder
Initially, it is required to prepare the relevant drawings, on the basis of which the device will be manufactured.
Drawing of the manufacture of a bed for a frame-type cutting machine
The above drawing is an example, so in each case, you should adapt your circuit to the available angle grinder. The manufacturing process of a makeshift bed for a stand for an angle grinder is as follows:
- For starters, blanks are prepared in accordance with the preliminary drawing.
- A steel sheet is being prepared, which will play the role of a supporting platform.
- Continuing to make the frame for an angle grinder with your own hands, it is required to weld the axis to the section of the profile pipe, which plays the role of the pendulum lever. Using this axis and two bearings, one part of the fastening to the countertop will be fixed.
- To fix the housing of an existing tool, it is necessary to make a kind of clamp-clamp from a piece of steel tire bent into a U-shape. Drill two holes in it, at the level of the holes for the additional handle on the angle grinder. With this, we securely attach the angle grinder to the gearbox to the moving part of the rack.
- A fixture is being made for additional tool mounting. For this, a metal frame is made, which additionally fixes the body of the angle grinder, above the gearbox. It can be made as you wish. The main thing is that it has reliable stops and clamps.
- After the fastening of the tool is completed, the frame can be fixed to the pendulum stand. Pre-press the bearings onto the shaft from two sides, then weld one of the parts (internal or external) of this hinge to the countertop, and the second to the frame in which the angle grinder is fixed. As a result, the movable part of the machine must be rotated through bearings relative to the bed.
- A protective casing is made, which you can make from the remaining pieces of metal. The casing is an obligatory attribute of the device under consideration, since it is able to protect not only from sparks during sawing, but also from the possible consequences of a rupture of the disk.
- You can also make a counterweight from the spring. The degree of spring tension should correspond to the weight of the angle grinder used. Previously, in order to fix the spring, the corresponding stops should be welded to the frame and pendulum.
- After everything is ready, you can carry out a test run of the device. During a trial run, all the flaws are investigated, which must be eliminated without fail before starting work.
- At the final stage, it is desirable to attach a ruler to the bed, as well as stops for blanks.
The result is a bed on which you need to install an angle grinder, and begin work on sawing blanks and materials. The above-described method of manufacturing a stand for an angle grinder is indicative, therefore, in each specific case, it is required to navigate from the existing material and tool. For example, instead of bearings, door canopies can be used, and the frame structure for an angle grinder can be made of reinforcement.
Do-it-yourself angle grinder bed is not such a reliable fixture as a factory cutting machine. When operating such a device, safety precautions are required. For this, special safety glasses and a mask are used. When the apparatus is operating, sparks should be directed in the opposite direction from the person. Sparks on clothing may cause it to catch fire, which could result in a burn on the skin.
It’s important to know! The casing is a mandatory attribute of such a device as a cutting machine made of angle grinders.
Observing safety precautions, care should be taken not only against the mechanical effects of the apparatus, but also from electric shock. The bed is made of metal, and the metal is a conductor of electric current. Any leakage may result in direct electric shock to a person. To avoid this, you must monitor the integrity of the power cord.
In conclusion, it is worth noting that the cutting machine from an angle grinder is a convenient tool that is easy enough to make with your own hands. At the same time, its effectiveness will not take long. Having designed such a stand for yourself, you can forget about such problems as the difficulty of obtaining an even cut of various materials.
DIY do-it-yourself angle grinder stand for nails. Novaso
As I do not try to saw off the angle grinder pipe or angle. It does not always work out smoothly. Precisely, almost never.
So, in the process of making the next homemade thing, I freaked out. I gave up everything and decided to make a stand for an angle grinder. With it, I can evenly saw off not only at 90 °, but also at 45 and 30, and generally at any angle!
The sizes and design were invented locally, based on the materials available. Now is not the time to buy something on purpose.
First I found the components for the hinge on which the angle grinder will turn.
For a quality cut, the hinge must be powerful enough and without the slightest backlash.
I found an old shaft and a flange from the Volgovskaya pump and several bearings, including those killed.
I assembled such a sandwich in order to maximize the bearings apart:
I found a suitable pipe for the outer hinge holder
It was a bit large in diameter, so I made a longitudinal cut to clamp the bearings like a clamp.
Welded a couple of corners and drilled holes in the right places
The second component of the rack is a pendulum with a mount for an angle grinder.
Angle grinder mount bent out of 2.5 mm strip
The rest. From the profile pipe 20×20
The mount was welded, trying to keep the parallelism of the angle grinder to the plane of rotation of the lever. To do this, when I cooked, I inserted rods into the mounting holes. I controlled parallelism by them.
What are all the holes and welded nuts for, it will become clear further.
The third component is the foundation.
It is welded from the corner 32×32
Two profile pipes 20×20 in the middle are guides for an adjustable emphasis which should fix the workpiece.
The table was made of a 30x30cm plate 3 mm thick, sawn into 2 parts. Fastens to the base with M5 screws.
In continuation of the table, a 3mm plate is welded on the base. It is for fastening the return spring, and to level the table further along the guides.
After all the fitting and fitting, I assembled the rack together:
This is how the angle grinder is attached:
On the one hand is screwed with a standard handle, on the other. With an M8 bolt
Vertical angle grinder adjustment. Top and bottom with two stops (legs from furniture)
Bearings are clamped in a holder M6 Bolt
The holder is screwed to the base with two M6 bolts
The return spring is from the Volgov pads.
So that she could not jump off the mount, I made a galvanized collar.
Angle grinder cutting machine
In order to understand how to make a detachable machine from an angle grinder (angle grinder), one can look at various drawings on the Internet. But they will help little, since all the dimensions of the parts will still have to be selected based on the dimensions of the angle grinder you have. Options for the implementation of devices can be either simple or more complex, requiring the ability to handle the welding machine.
To make this adapt for an angle grinder, you will need welder skills. So, you need to do the following.
First cut 2 small pieces from the corner (50×50 mm). Their size is selected based on the dimensions of the gear unit of your angle grinder.
Next, drill holes in them with a diameter of 14 mm and screw the corners to the angle grinder, as shown in the following photo. If you do not have suitable bolts, then you can use threaded rods M14. Just be careful that the bolts are not too long. Otherwise, in some angle grinders, they can cling to the impeller located in the gear case.
Without removing the corners from the angle grinder, grab them by welding. After that, the corners can be removed and well scalded.
Grind the welds with a grinder for an angle grinder.
Then you need to make swivel arm support, on which the device will be fixed. To do this, pick up 2 pipes of such diameters so that one can enter the other without much effort.
For a more accurate cut, you can glue masking tape on the tubes and draw a fishing line on it.
Then, turning the tube, carefully cut its angle grinder. A piece of pipe of a smaller diameter should be shorter by 20 mm (thickness of 2 bearings). It will serve as a spacer.
For a thicker pipe, select 2 bearings suitable for its inner diameter. After that, insert a thin tube into a thick one and press in the bearings on both sides.
Then insert the pin into the bearings. Always lay a washer in front of the nut.
When the rotary mechanism is ready, you need to weld a small segment of the corner to it.
The next step is done swivel stand from the same corner 50×50 mm. To make the segments of the same length, the corners can be pulled together with a clamp and cut.
Also, without unwinding the clamp, they can be drilled right away.
Attach the corners with the drilled holes to the finished swivel unit with the nuts.
Weld the corner more authenticly to this stand, as shown in the following photos.
Now you need to decide on lever length, on which angle grinder will be fixed. This is done by the selection method, based on the dimensions of your angle grinder. You can lay out the details on the table and calculate the approximate dimensions of the lever, which is better to make of 2 pieces of a square profile pipe 20×20 mm.
Pipes must also be clamped with a clamp and cut to the same size.
After all the parts are ready, they can be welded together, as shown in the following photos.
At the next stage, you can attach to the finished construction of the angle grinder and check again what came of it.
The ready-made pendulum mechanism for the angle grinder is easy to install on any flat surface, for example, on the workbench. Also, this design can be installed on a specially made table for it. For more rigid fastening of the mechanism, you can weld small pieces of corners on both sides of a long corner, and drill holes in them.
In the following photos you can see how the finished device for angle grinders is fixed on the table (in this case, a metal bed is used).
It is very important to set the right angle between the plane of the cutting disc and the plane of the table. Place the square on the table and slide it to the abrasive wheel mounted on the angle grinder. If you initially managed to weld the fixture so that the angle between the planes was 90 degrees, then this is good. If you notice a deviation from a right angle in one direction or another, then you can correct the situation using a crowbar or a long profile pipe, for example, 60×20 mm.
So that the part does not move when cutting, a corner can be screwed onto the table, which will serve as an emphasis. Also, for an accurate cut, the table can easily be improved with a simple vise made of a nut welded to it and a stud of the required length screwed into it.
Next is necessary make a protective cover. It is done taking into account the maximum diameter of the cutting disc, which is permissible to put on a specific model of angle grinder. To make it easier to determine the dimensions of the casing and places for its fastening, you can first make a template, for example, from a piece of cardboard.
- From tin, it is required to cut 2 blanks for the future casing.
- Screw an aluminum corner to one of the blanks. With its help, the casing will be attached to the fixture bar.
- Twist 2 halves together.
- On the swingarm bar, drill holes for the corner mounted on the casing, cut the threads in them and screw on the protective casing.
In this case, the casing will also serve as a limiter for the cutting tool, not allowing it to excessively go deep into the table during processing of the part.
It will not be superfluous if for a lever with an angle grinder attached to it make springing. In this case, it is simple to do this: insert a smaller tube from the back of the boom and attach a spring to it, as shown in the following photo.
At this, the manufacture of a do-it-yourself cutting machine, in which an angle grinder is used as the drive, can be considered completed.
Another version of the device for an angle grinder, with which it will be possible to cut metal workpieces, is done as follows.
- Take 2 pieces of the profile pipe of the same height and weld them to the rectangle previously cut from sheet metal.
- Drill holes in 2 racks and in the lever (the length is selected experimentally), then fasten the latter with a bolt, as shown in the photo below.
- Attach a spring to the back of the lever.
- Drill a through hole in the proposed mounting location of the angle grinder on the rod.
- Now you can fix the angle grinder on the table.
Thus, a simple cutting machine was obtained. To give additional rigidity to the fastening of the apparatus to the lever, you can use clamps, having previously laid between the case of an angle grinder and a pipe, for example, a wooden block.
For precise cutting, so that the workpiece does not move, you will need to screw a corner to the table.
For small angle grinder a similar version of the device is also suitable, only the angle grinder will be mounted on a metal strip: on one side with a bolt to the angle grinder itself, and on the other with a clamp.
For powerful angle grinder Adaptation is done according to the same principle, but from larger profiles than in the figures above.
Using dumbbells as a counterweight is optional. It is enough to find a suitable spring.
This device option is the easiest for making by yourself. It is done without a traditional stand (rack) for the rotary unit. You will need only one door canopy, a metal strip and an elastic band (you can use an elastic band from a manual expander).
The design is as follows:
- In a metal strip, on one side, drill holes for the door canopy, and on the other, under the bolt, with which the strip will be mounted to the angle grinder;
- Screw the grinder and a canopy to the strip;
- Screw the canopy to the table;
- Fasten one end of the elastic to the edge of the table, and the other to the holder (handle) of the angle grinder.
In just a few minutes you will receive a high-quality cutting machine. This device is also mobile, because it can be carried with you in a suitcase with tools, and, if necessary, mounted on any flat surface.
When installing this tool, do not forget to fix a corner on the table to rest the workpiece in it.
Cutting sheet hoists using angle grinders
To cut sheet metal, you will need to purchase special carriage, which moves along the guide (profile square pipe).
But practice shows that the cost of a good carriage is high (more than 100), so you can make it yourself. Since this process is quite difficult to describe, you can understand the manufacturing technology of this slider from this. With the help of the device, it is possible to cut not only steel, but also ceramic tiles and porcelain tiles.
It should be noted that when cutting ceramics, a lot of dust is formed. Therefore, it is recommended to adapt a dust collector with a nozzle for a vacuum cleaner to the casing of an angle grinder.
Purpose of a bed for the angular grinder
Attaching a power tool to a rigid stand has several advantages. So, thanks to the bed, you do not have to hold the angle grinder in your hands, which will allow you to focus on the accuracy of the product. In addition, you exclude the risk that the turbine may slip out of your hands from fatigue or carelessness. Grinders often have special threaded holes for fixing on the bed, thanks to which you can position the tool at a convenient angle. A rotating holder allows you to change the vertical position of the tool depending on the tasks.
Tools and materials
As a rule, at home, the stand for the angle grinder is made of profiled metal pipes, since they are very strong and reliable. Although some craftsmen make holders from lumber. In this case, it is advisable to use only the hardest wood species, which are able to withstand heavy loads and not be deformed during operation. As for metal structures, the only problem here is the need to use electric welding and the ability to work with it. However, if a little reflection, then most of the welding work can be replaced by drilling, that is, use bolted joints. In addition, this option will almost completely disassemble the machine.
For work you will need the following materials and tools:
- Welding machine;
- Hammer drill;
- Metal corner;
- Profiled pipes and channel;
- Powerful spring;
- 12 volt relay;
- Bolts, nuts and a set of keys;
- Chipboard or metal shield (work surface).
As you understand, in the manufacture of a bed of metal you have to work with welding. But before you pick up this device, be sure to familiarize yourself with safety precautions. The welder is dealing with electric current, so improper handling of the equipment can lead to irreparable consequences.
Before connecting the device to the network, you need to inspect it. Make sure that the cable insulation is not damaged. If the condition of the wires warns you, then do not use this welding until you replace them.
The connecting parts of the cables must be made of brass or bronze. These metals have excellent thermal conductivity, so the cables do not heat up in this case.
After an external inspection, turn on the device by pressing the “on” button. When starting, only the sound of a working cooler should be heard. This suggests that, along with the apparatus, forced cooling has started. When working with welding, you need to remember about high temperature. The welded seams are very hot, so all manipulations with metals must be performed in overalls. Use special gloves, a mask and boots with rubber soles. The latter in no case should be forged.
Wear a respirator if working in a room with poor ventilation.
Preparatory phase: drawing
One of the key points in the assembly of a metal frame for an angle grinder is the development of a competent drawing. This will make the device as convenient as possible for operation, as well as avoid damage to expensive material.
Each turbine needs its own drawing, because devices from different manufacturers can be very structurally different. Perhaps there will be a fairly small adjustment, or maybe you will have to create a sketch from scratch.
DIY frame manufacturer’s manual
The simplest bed for an angle grinder consists of two frames and a holder. The order of work is as follows:
- We cut profiled pipes and drill holes in them according to the drawing.
- Using welding, we produce the lower and upper frames of the future design.
- We cut out a working platform from a sheet of iron or chipboard. If the turbine is powerful, then it is better to use metal.
- We fix the lower frame on the platform and weld the upper one to it.
- We fix the holder to the vertical frame with bolts. It should rotate freely, like a pendulum.
- Install the spring. It is needed to return the tool to its original position. One end of the spring is attached to the upper end of the vertical frame, and the other to the holder.
- For the convenience of working with the device, install the button with switching through the relay, through which power will be supplied to the tool.
- Give the design a complete look by coating it with paint.
- At the end, equip the bed with a movable ruler with a stop. This will cut the product as accurately as possible.
After assembling the fixture, install an angle grinder in it and check the tool is idling. If the circle does not touch anything and rotates freely, then you can use the design for its intended purpose.
The holder for the turbine can be equipped with a shock absorber. This will allow you to move the cutting tool on the working platform.
Differences between different models
Many individuals try to make a universal machine for grinders with their own hands, in which various nodes will be involved, which will increase the ability of angle grinders at times, but not for everyone. The main differences of such models:
- The presence / absence of a bed. A massive metal, wooden plate or frame;
- Feed device (carriage) for a tool or material. Forward / backward;
- The presence of the transmitting node. Belt transmission on casters;
- Nodes for tilting, displacing the material or an angle grinder at a certain angle;
We will try to cover different devices and tell you about most of them. The designs of some devices have been developed recently and have not yet been published on the worldwide network.
The simplest model
She presents a holder for grinders with her own hands. It serves to facilitate the work with the tool and is necessarily made of metal or metal-textolite. The wooden model of such a node will not withstand the loads and will fly apart.
The device itself is a multidimensional plate fastened together:
- Welding, if the device is made of metal;
- Screws (bolts) if metal and textolite are used.
The first plate serves as a kind of mobile platform and is made of duralumin, aluminum or steel 2-3mm sheet 3512 (15) cm. It can be made of PCB, but then you will have to get a 5-6 mm piece.
The second plate represents the stop. It must be carried out necessarily from 4 (or more) mm of a piece of steel 12550 (60) mm. It accounts for the main load, so you should not take thin material to avoid injuries.
On one half of the plate, do it yourself with 3-4 holes with a drill of 4.2-4.5 mm to fix it on the platform, and in the middle of the second half. One with a drill of 8 mm. In the platform itself, holes are also made and drilled from the back, for countersunk screws.
Instead of the second plate, you can use the usual 4 mm corner of approximate dimensions and drill it accordingly. Then the plate (corner) is screwed or welded to the main platform with the expectation that the cutting disc of the tool is 3-5 mm from the edge of the bed.
The corner is bent under 60 about to a bed. The cutting power tool is strengthened on its upper part by a bolt with a lock nut, which is necessary to avoid turning the bolt during the inevitable vibration during work. The device is assembled and ready to go.
Additional nodes to the device
- First option
To facilitate work and more accurate cutting (along the line), the device is supplemented with two squares made of metal and two wooden blocks, the dimensions of which:
- 3,030,420 mm;
- 553,080 mm;
- 273,035 mm;
- 1206025 mm, respectively.
Measure from the end of a long square 12 cm and bend it with the letter “G”. In it and in the main platform, corresponding holes are drilled, which are drilled for countersunk screws. Combine the square and the plate, lay the bars on it and screw them with screws.
Tip: To facilitate operation, install an additional handle.
Apply a home-made universal limiter-guide, which is made with your own hands from the following parts:
- 2 strips of metal 75-100 cm;
- 1 square 30-70 cm;
- 2 roller assemblies from drawers.
It is going like this:
- On the main platform reinforce the guides from the boxes.
- 2 strips are screwed on top, making sure that their ends are equidistant from the main plate.
- At the ends of the strips reinforce the square, bending down.
To fix the roller assemblies, ordinary clamps or a special screw clamp are used. It consists of a metal 5-8 mm plate with a length of the main platform, a width of 5-8 cm and 5-6 cm of a screw (bolt) M5-M8.
- In the middle of the bed, a recess or hole is drilled and a thread is made with a tap for a screw M8-M10 with a length of about 10 cm;
- Screw it in from below;
- The clamp in the middle is “drilled” with a drill 0.5-1 mm larger than the caliber of the screw;
- Put it on the screw, imposing on the moving elements of the roller mechanism;
- Fixed with a wing nut or ordinary nut.
- Such a machine for an angle grinder can cut large items: doors, shields.
DIY cutting machine
For sawing small-sized parts, channels, squares, pipes, fittings, a home-made detachable pendulum machine is used. If you use the appropriate stones, then you can grind things, cut off tiles, ceramics.
The cutting machine is made with your own hands from the following parts:
- Bed. Made of thick metal and four squares:
- Racks for the rolling unit, made of the same metal;
- A swinging mechanism on which the angle grinder is mounted;
- A guide made of a piece of a square;
- Handles (for convenience) and a limiter for lowering the swing unit.
Bed. A plate (metal not less than 5 mm) with slots. Ordinary squares are welded or screwed as legs. If you do not have the appropriate piece. Take a few strips of thick metal and attach them to the corners-legs. Then you do not have to make slots.
Racks are made of profile pipes, but it is easier to screw rectangular plates of metal 10 mm or more, drill holes in them on the side and insert a swing unit on the axis. As it is used a long bolt with a nut and a lock nut.
The swing unit is made of strips screwed together, or a blank is cut from a sheet. At a distance of one third of the length, a 10 mm axis or a long bolt is fixed. A smaller axle or ring for the return spring is reinforced at the rear. In front, connect the handle and the attachment unit of the angle grinder
Tip: To prevent accidental injury, weld this assembly securely with your own hands /
The limiter and guide stop are the usual pieces of squares. The first is welded from below to the swing unit. The emphasis is installed on the bed. A ring for the return spring is welded to the back.
But such a cutting machine is a little dangerous. The detail in it must be held with one hand, and with the other pressed on the handle. For safe operation, either two people are needed (one holds the product, the second presses the handle) or the installation of a conventional vice on a bed.
Cutting parts at an angle
It is impossible to perform other operations on the structure described above, for example, cutting a part at the desired angle or cutting the part to a certain size. Simple modifications will turn the cutting machine into a universal machine.
For cutting at an angle, 2 types of devices can be used:
- Stationary. Rigidly fixed.
- Universal swivel fixture.
The first of them is easy to make from several ordinary squares. They are screwed onto the bed at a strictly defined angle to the cutting axis, being a kind of guides for the cut parts.
The second is harder to make. This is actually a rotary device. Usually it is performed in the form of a circle, but you can apply a square. It is fixed on the main frame. A hole with an M10 thread is made in it and a bolt performing the function of an axis is screwed in from below.
Put a circle on the bolt and tighten it with a nut with a stopper or with a lock nut so that the gap is at least 0.5 mm. On a circle set any clamp, corner (guide) or vise. The latter option is preferable due to the versatility of the vise.
Three options for fixing the angle when turning:
In a circle, a number of holes are made at commonly used angles. Install and directly through the disk, drill one more in the frame (closer to the tool disk), the second. Through the hole opposite. Then, a M8-M10 thread is made with a tap or left as is (for cotter pins).
- Scrolling the disk, combine the holes of the circle and the bed;
- In them we twist the bolts (screws) with the wing-head or insert the cotter pin.
- With the help of special slots and clamps.
It has great features. You can turn it yourself at any angle of 20 o.160 o. It differs from the first by the presence of special semicircular slots in the disk.
- By means of rotary or union slats.
The universality of the third option is obvious. It turns around 360 o. If necessary, you can completely rotate the circle several times with a vise and a trimmed part around the axis.
The circle is clamped by ordinary metal strips. 4 screws (bolts) M8-M10 are screwed into the bed from below, locked (for reliability) by nuts. Two of them located near the instrument are considered the main ones.
- Planks are installed on the circle, making sure that the bolts go into their holes.
- The nuts are screwed onto the main screws. As soon as the nut reaches the bar, make one or two more turns and lock with a lock nut.
- The thumbs are screwed onto the other two screws.
The work with the clamp is as follows. Twist the “lamb”, freeing the trims. Remove them from the thread and move them apart. Expand the circle, throw and clamp the straps. Excessive nut rotation ensures reliable clamping of the wheel.
An angle grinder is a dangerous item that has tremendous speed. If you do not follow the rules of use, you can be seriously injured. Before starting work and making a home-made stand for an angle grinder, be sure to read the safety instructions.
1. When cutting solid materials, various particles of metal or stone, sharp fragments fly out from under the abrasive wheel. The first reliable remedy for debris flying in the face of the master is safety goggles of a closed type. There are cases of rupture of the circle itself. Shards can hit the glass and break them, so the glasses must be reinforced with a protective net. Do not be stingy, this is your health.
2. The angle grinder must have a screen surrounding the knives. Some workers, putting on a circle of large diameter, remove the casing that impedes movement. Also, when making a stand for an angle grinder with your own hands, you can completely get rid of it. In no case should this be done. It is placed without fail and in such a way that the operator is behind it. Thus, the fragments beat off the casing and fly in the opposite direction.
Angle Grinder Stand
In working with this tool, many masters have to make uniform, identical cuts. Holding it in your hand, the evenness of the strip is very difficult to achieve. Strong revolutions and vibration do not allow a person to hold the product exactly in one position, the hand will necessarily move. To prevent this from happening, buy a rack for the angle grinder.
But with strong constant loads and vibrations, the stand parts become loose and crack. And it is mainly designed to work with a circle of a maximum of 125 mm. Big does not fit there. If you want a rack for an angle grinder strong and reliable, then the best option would be to do it yourself. Self-production will add confidence in the quality of the fasteners, the master will work quietly.
Small device for home use
This stand for do-it-yourself angle grinder is made only for use at home, for small work. It is made of plywood and wooden blocks. The tool itself is installed stationary and does not move. Two sheets of plywood are taken. An angle grinder is fastened to the bottom square with clamps and a beam in the form of a stand is screwed on.
The second part on furniture hinges is placed on top. A gap is cut for the abrasive wheel. The advantage of this arrangement is that the master does not hold the tool in his hands. Also, the circle is partially visible and will not be able to fly out, causing injury to the operator. Such an easy-to-use device for cutting small metal corners, aluminum profiles, ceramic tiles is suitable.
Welded metal construction
In the manufacture of this model, you need to have a rack drawing for an angle grinder of your size. Work is carried out from a metal profile and tubes using a welding machine. The platform for the stand must be heavy, it is able to withstand vibrations of high power. Next, perform the upper part, to which the tool itself is attached together with the casing. On bolts, the structure is mounted to the welded corner on two metal legs.
In order for the stand for the angle grinder to move smoothly, the upper and lower panels are connected by a strong spring, for which holes are drilled. A guide angle is welded onto the platform at right angles to the circle.
What is good for a pendulum-shaped angle grinder is the simplification of the sawing process. Due to the emphasis on the table and the system of this design, it is possible to perform work of varying complexity and to trim materials of any density. With such a device, it is not necessary to apply special efforts, the pressure is carried out by the mass of the tool itself.
To make this version of the stand, you will need a spring, two loops, a metal profile, corners and a welding machine. It is also advisable to have a strong iron table on which the entire structure can be installed. Having the skills of such work, the master will quickly make such a pendulum. It is much easier to work if the handle is long and comfortable. The fingers are at a safe distance. Leaning is not required. Sparks and debris are flying in the opposite direction. And having a free approach to the table, you can perform work with bulky materials and products. It is convenient and allows you to perform a variety of processes.
Choosing a rack that suits you in all respects, do not forget about safety. Then the work will bring only joy.