Tools for assembling furniture with my own hands
Tools for furniture making
Making furniture at home. an exciting process. When a person makes something with his own hands for his dear ones, he always leaves a piece of his soul in this product, and it is sure to be well received. In addition, such activity is a serious saving of the family budget and an opportunity to learn useful skills for additional earnings. Tools for self-made furniture are required so diverse that it is impossible to cover all their features in a short review. Let us dwell on the main of them.
Additional tool for making furniture at home
Essential Tools & Tips For Assembling Furniture (from a Tasker) NEW Tool Update
Tools for assembling furniture with our own hands
In order to save money, many homeowners and apartment owners decide to do the assembly of purchased or ordered furniture with their own hands. Indeed, everything can be done by yourself, but you need helpers, special tools. Website RMNT will tell you what exactly is necessary for assembling furniture with their own hands.
Rmnt Portal.ru has already written more than once about what tools a home handyman will need to perform a variety of tasks. We’ve written about the electrician’s, woodcarver’s, blacksmith’s, mason’s, gardener’s tool kit. Now it’s time to talk about a minimum set of tools for the furniture maker, or rather, someone who has decided to become one temporarily, to assemble a hallway, a closet or a kitchen set with their own hands.
The first thing you will need to make measurements in order to make everything even, smooth, beautiful. To do this, you need:
- A level.
- A pencil for marking.
- Angle, in order to hold right angles, it is often needed to install shelves.
- A tape measure for setting the diagonal of any furniture, as well as to accurately attach the bottoms of drawers and the back wall.
Undoubtedly the most important tool is a screwdriver. It is with it you quickly and reliably screw self-tapping screws, dowels, screws and other fasteners. The drill also helps drill holes for handles, and is sometimes used to mill for hinges, minifixes and rafixes.
Important! You will need special nozzles for screws and screws, take care of their availability in advance.
Jigsaw. Better, of course, is electric. He will be needed when you need to cut a hole under the sink in the tabletop of Laminated chipboard, cut a place for the socket, to trim individual pieces of furniture.
Peorator. Needed when you need to drill holes to attach bookshelves, the top row of kitchen cabinets, and so on to the wall.
Furniture, construction stapler. Not only necessary for upholstery upholstery. Staple the back walls and bottoms of the drawers with 15 millimeter staples.
Screwdrivers. Most often you need flat and cross. Even though you’ll be screwing the fasteners in with a screwdriver, a screwdriver comes in handy to gently bring everything to the right strength, adjust the door opening, tighten the minifixes and raffixes.
Hexagon set. These are most often used to adjust closet doors, as well as to tighten many special furniture fasteners.
A stationery knife or a jamb knife. You’ll need it for the first step, when you need to free the parts of your future cabinets or kitchen set from the package. It can then be used to trim door sealing brushes and trim PVC edges.
In addition, you may need it in the process:
- A silicone sealant gun if you’re installing the sink in the kitchen countertop or sealing something else.
- Pliers to clamp some parts for trimming or to fix them temporarily before fixing.
- A hammer to adjust the parts that fit tightly.
- Sliding wrench if you are assembling upholstered furniture.
- Confirmatory drill.
Most of the tools we have listed are just necessary to quickly and effortlessly assemble cabinet or upholstered furniture. We are sure that you will be able to cope, following the manufacturer’s instructions, as well as thanks to manual and electric helpers.
How to choose?
Today’s market of construction equipment tools (both domestic and professional) is not lacking in the proposals of manufacturers of conductors of different modifications. On the one hand, a wide range allows you to choose the most suitable template model in each specific case. On the other hand, without sufficient experience, you can easily get confused in such a variety. First of all, when choosing a tool for marking and drilling, you need to consider the tasks it will perform.
Given the features of the described tool at the stage of choice, it is worth paying attention to its functionality. No less important point in this case will be a list of additional devices that are included in the set of conductor:
All such elements greatly simplify the use of the conductor itself, as well as the process of assembling joinery structures in general.
The material used for the template deserves special attention. Quality modern conductors are made of durable wood, and most often of stainless steel, characterized by the longest possible service life. However, on sale you can also find devices made of plastic and glass.
Naturally, when choosing a specific model, you should focus on the quality of manufacturing, that is, pay appropriate attention to inspection of the product. An important point is the manufacturer of the tool. Well-known companies are unlikely to risk their reputation by placing low-quality products on the market.
Assembling furniture with their own hands by technology
Every diligent homeowner has a certain set of tools in the house. With the help of which and in the presence of assembly instructions, it would seem that it will not be difficult to assemble purchased furniture. But in addition to this requires skill, knowledge of the subtleties and a minimum of knowledge of the technology of such work. The technological process includes the following steps:
- Unpacking boxes with fasteners, fittings and furniture parts. Check the color, quantity, and quality of elements of the received goods.
- Checking for diagrams, detailed drawings, and instructions for assembling a cabinet, upholstered furniture, or bed. If these are not available, it is necessary to contact the seller or the manufacturer of the goods.
- Sorting and preparing all fasteners, fittings for installation, connection elements, mechanical and electrical tools, consumables. If something is missing, you should buy it before you start assembling.
- Verify the alignment of places and holes for fasteners according to the attached drawing. Instructions for assembling and installing furniture structures made of modules should be clear and easy to read.
- Installation with no experience should begin with a simple design, for example, a drawer from a dresser. Only if the result is positive, continue with the more complex parts of the furniture assembly.
- Perform assembly in the sequence recommended by experts:
- Assembly of shelf supports, slats, hinges, ties;
- Connecting the frame elements;
- the assembly of the fronts;
- Connecting the mirror surfaces;
- Installation of fittings and small parts of design handles and legs.
- If possible, placing the construction on adjustable feet.
- Fixing in the wall of the built-in furniture in the form of a closet, pre-assembling the sliding system for the doors.
- Installation of stationary furniture in the chosen place should be made after its complete assembly.
- Adjust the fronts with a screwdriver until the gaps between the door leaves disappear.
- When assembling kitchen sets, clearly follow the rules for placing the top modules of the set, the level of the working surface, installation of built-in appliances.
The listed stages of assembly can be considered a general set of recommendations. In practice, the assembly of each type of furniture has its own nuances and pitfalls. Simple designs without much trouble can be assembled on their own. If furniture designs have a complex set and require the use of special tools for high-quality assembly, then do not take the risk and it is better to contact professionals.
Experienced assemblers advise that when performing self-assembly, you should:
- Avoid overtightening the fasteners;
- Refuse to use low-quality consumables;
- You have to watch out for the precise movement of the bit when working with a screwdriver;
Naturally, one electric tool, even the most modern and multifunctional, will not be enough. When assembling any piece of furniture, you cannot do without hand tools. And we will be talking in this case about the following tools.
- Chisel, necessary for sawing and fitting the ends of both structural parts of furniture items and decorative elements. Given the functionality of this device is quite capable of replacing a rather expensive mitre saw.
- A clerical knife, with which it is convenient to cut off excess furniture tapes and other parts. The main advantages of this tool are sharpness and no need to sharpen the cutting edge.
In addition to all of the above, it would be good to get such a handy and functional device as a miniature ratchet. A compact device with a set of appropriately sized bits is often truly indispensable when assembling furniture. Its use is most relevant for hard-to-reach places.
Tool for pre-assembly of furniture and closets with their own hands
Before assembly, it is necessary to mark the parts and drill the places of joints for a mortar in the ends and the front parts of the chipboard. This process will facilitate further assembly many times.
Also preliminary marking is required for fixing the various lifting and sliding mechanisms, furniture hinges, shelf supports, rod holders and other fittings.
For the marking process at the initial stage you will need all the measuring tools described above.
For fitting parts (drilling holes) at home you will need a simple hand tool:
- Drill. For boring holes in the furniture parts does not require high power of the drill, 350 Watt is enough. The main thing is that it should be light and comfortable. after all, for large amounts of furniture making with your own hands, this tool will have to be held in the hand for quite a long time. Drill will require a set of drills. kirmatnoe drill, drill bits for wood and metal 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10mm. And also drills Forstner 15 and 20mm for installation minifixes and eccentrics, 26 and 35mm for cutting in furniture hinges, drill bits 60, 65 and 80mm for cutting in lights, plugs for wires (if the purpose and design of furniture).
- Clamps and vises. Needed when assembling large-size parts and gluing (for example, assembling on furniture dowels). Also used for direct boring on site, without pre-drilling, to evenly clamp the parts in the desired position. Quick-action clamps should be used. Also home-made variations of clamps and vises are useful for this purpose.
- A mallet. To be used for installing hidden fasteners (furniture dowels) and for adjusting regular fasteners. Indispensable for the insertion of dense removable shelves in the allotted niches, because it allows you to spot and without damage details “fit” in the right place.
- Hammer. Needed for fixing the backs, bottoms of drawers made of fiberboard on small nails. But many assemblers have gotten good at screwing fiberboard onto thin self-tapping screws. Or fasten to staples with a stapler.
Necessary tools for furniture making
Of the variety of carpentry tools, the subject of choice remains tools for screwing, drilling, cutting and measuring.
In a kit for your own workshop, include in the first steps only the necessary. this will be enough to make furniture yourself:
For quality and uncomplicated work, the list of mains or cordless tools is as follows:
The tool does not have to be mains-powered electric.
The modern range is widely represented by cordless samples.
In the process of gaining skills and moving on to more complex tasks, the list can be gradually expanded.
The drill is a staple in any furniture making workshop.
The first steps are quite possible to get by with an electric drill with impact function and an electric screwdriver.
The presence of such additional options will save on the purchase of a torch and an electric screwdriver.
If capabilities allow, then the best choice. it is a cordless electric drill.
With an impact mechanism to work with hard surfaces, make assembly and installation of built-in or cabinet furniture.
The speed regulator allows you to change the RPM to suit the desired function: drilling metal or wood, tightening screws, pulse or impact function.
electric screwdriver. it is also one of the main specialized “tools” of a carpenter for assembling and manufacturing furniture.
Functions include installing furniture fittings, screwing and drilling.
Modern models are equipped with a pulse and impact function, and the introduction of battery technology allows a convenient work process, even in the absence of electricity.
Quick-change chuck allows you to change tooling in the blink of an eye to perform a variety of operations.
Two torque speeds are equally useful.
Operating time depends on battery capacity.
When choosing an electric screwdriver, it is worth paying attention to the presence of two batteries. a spare power supply will not interrupt work during recharging.
Electric jigsaw. this tool allows you to cut out shaped furniture and its parts with precision.
- sawing blades;
- making cutouts for built-in appliances;
- A shaped cut or rounded edge, etc.д.
The jigsaw mechanism is designed for variable speed and blade tilt.
Special saws are used for metal work.
Grinder intended for scraping and leveling the surface or mowing the cut line.
It does an excellent job of removing varnish, old paint, or pre-treating the substrate before applying paintwork.
Measuring tools for self-made furniture:
Hand tools for the first experiments in furniture production compare favorably with electric counterparts in cost, but lose out in performance.
Some models are currently indispensable.
It is used for upholstery furniture and installing thin walls made of organite, plywood, etc.
Tooling and Consumables
One important tool for furniture making is the workbench.
The work table should be equipped with a vise and clamps to securely hold the elements.
Of the working tools you will need the following set:
- Wood drill bits for holes with a diameter of 20 to 130 mm; metal and wood drill bits with a diameter in the range of 2-12 mm;
- Forstner drills for drilling non-slotted smooth holes, for example, for hinges;
- drill bits with a particularly hard tip for working with concrete, bricks;.
Assembling furniture with your own hands
Despite the fact that at any time you can order a professional assembly from a craftsman, many users decide to assemble the furniture products themselves. Before you begin this process, you should familiarize yourself with the available recommendations and features.