Angle Grinder Paint Remover Cup
The angle grinder, being a universal tool by a home master or professional, is used when performing many operations on cutting materials, grinding, grinding off various surfaces, etc. Sooner or later, every owner of this tool asks himself a question: can an angle grinder work on wood, and what kind of nozzles are needed for this?
Which tool to choose
Angle grinder. A very extensive range of tools of one class, called an angle grinder (angle grinder). The device can have tremendous power and work with a disk of 230 and more millimeters. Or differ in compact dimensions and modest abrasives of 115 mm.
Disadvantages big and heavy tool obvious: it is difficult for them to work for a long time. In addition, for accurate wood processing, serious skills and experience will be required. It is elementary for a novice master to control a massive and powerful angle grinder. However, with a large processing area or the need to remove a significant amount of material, such an angle grinder is very good.
Small angle grinder also has disadvantages. The ratio of the diameter of its disk to the dimensions of the case does not allow to process hard-to-reach spots. In addition, it is difficult to choose a large volume of material with such a tool due to low power and overheating.
Many woodworkers prefer an angle grinder with a disk diameter of 125 mm. This is explained quite simply:
- This class includes an angle grinder in a wide range of operating capacities;
- It is easy to pick up a tool with comfortable dimensions and weight;
- There are many nozzles and accessories on the market designed for a standard 125 mm mounting hole.
In addition, the medium power angle grinder provides relative safety for beginners. It will not make you quickly tired, it will allow you to more accurately control your movement, reduce the likelihood of marriage on valuable details.
What are the circles for cutting wood
Despite the danger of using an angle grinder for cutting wood, tool manufacturers still produce saw blades for it.
The photo below shows “dangerous” saw blade for an angle grinder, although its diameter corresponds to the protective cover of the grinder with a maximum working tool of 180 mm. There are saws with solders and a smaller diameter.
In the next photo you can see a less dangerous version of the circular saw. It provides protection against jamming, and it is implemented due to a small divorce of teeth in different directions.
A saw blade made using a chain from a chainsaw reduces the risk of injury when a tool is jammed. This nozzle is designed in such a way that the circuit fixed on the internal disk (base) has non fixed landing.
In case of chain jamming in the processed material, the base continues to rotate, and the tool does not pull out of the hands.
These chain disks for the angle grinder have many modifications, and with their help you can cut branches in the garden, as well as use for rough cutting of thick boards.
In addition to cutting, the chain disc can also be used how peeling, for example, for removing bark, as well as for cutting cups in logs of a log house and modeling.
Small tooth saws
Also for the angle grinder, to increase the safety of working with wood, tool manufacturers produce cutting discs with a small number of teeth.
Small diameter discs can have 3 teeth and large discs can have 4 teeth, as shown in the following photo.
These disks for an angle grinder cut wood remarkably both along the fibers and across. In addition, with the help of a saw wheel, you can cut grooves, make various cuts and spikes in the workpiece. But when working with an angle grinder, one rule must be adhered to: you must install a cutting disc of the diameter on the angle grinder for which it is designed by the manufacturer, that is, do not exceed its size. Circles of smaller diameter can be set.
Tungsten carbide wheels
Carbide-tungsten discs for angle grinders appeared on sale not so long ago and made a kind of revolution in the field of wood processing.
This universal drive no teeth. Instead of the last nozzles around the circumference, segments are located. The edged disc looks like a diamond wheel for cutting concrete. Using a tungsten carbide wheel for an angle grinder, it is very easy to saw wood of any hardness and viscosity. In addition, he is not afraid of nails, screws and other metal inclusions that may be in the workpiece on his way.
It is the safest wood saw blade for angle grinder.
Its price on the Internet is about 700 rubles. But considering the possible consequences of using circular saws, this is a low price for safety.
Nozzles for polishing wood
For wood processing, in addition to cutting wheels, there are nozzles specially designed for installation on an angle grinder, with which you can grind, grind, brush and mill wooden surfaces.
If you want to remove a layer of paint or other coating from a wooden surface, a peeling nozzle can be installed on the angle grinder. On sale there are a large number of different nozzles for peeling work. They differ in form, design, and in the types of work that can be performed with this tool.
The photo below shows the disc nozzles with spikes or crumbs, with which you can easily remove the top layer of wood, grind the end of the board, etc.
The next cutter, due to the fact that the spikes on it are located on an even plane, allows level various wood surfaces. For example, if 2 boards on the floor at the end connection are at different heights. With the help of this nozzle, the defect is easily eliminated, and the boards are joined in one plane.
Angle Grinder Paint Remover Cup
Peeling nozzles also exist. Twisted wire. They can be made in the form of a metal cup with a wire inserted into it.
Or in the form of a disk with coils of wire clamped in its central part.
These brushes are used if you need to quickly peel off old paint from a wooden surface or rust and paint from metal.
The following photo shows a brush with a smaller diameter wire, and it is used for thinner peeling work on wood and metal.
In addition to stripping, this brush is often used for brushing wood, that is, giving it an aging effect. If this effect needs to be applied on large surfaces, in the professional field, then for brushing it is better to use special manual machines with wide brushes.
Grinding and polishing tips
For grinding various surfaces, including wood, a special nozzle for an angle grinder, consisting of a metal base, on which is fastened with Velcro, is on sale emery grinding wheel. The nozzle is screwed onto the shaft by an angle grinder and tightened with an open-end wrench.
Often it is equipped with an adapter for fastening in a drill or drill chuck.
A grinding wheel is not used for polishing surfaces. Instead, the nozzle is installed felt discs, which are attached with Velcro.
It is also often used for polishing wooden surfaces. Petal emery circle. It is called from so, because it consists of many petals fixed on its plane, made of sandpaper. The granularity of the latter can be selected based on the requirements for the surface to be treated. Emery with coarse grain is suitable for rough grinding, and vice versa for fine grinding.
The better to grind a tree. An angle grinder or a grinder. Depends on what you are going to prepare a wooden surface for.. If under the application of ordinary paint, then you can use the grinding wheel. If under varnishing, then the grinding wheel mounted on the angle grinder cannot be used, since it will give small radial scratches on the wood surface, which will clearly appear after the application of varnish. In this case, use longitudinal for grinding belt sander (the emery tape moves longitudinally) or vibration, where the same emery circles are used.
Flat blade disc
A disk with several blades protruding from the side can be considered as alternative to a planer. It is intended primarily for the removal of material on a plane. This nozzle is indispensable for logging, it allows you to quickly and accurately remove the bark from unedged boards or logs. It is convenient for her to handle convex or form concave surfaces.
It is very difficult and long to do such a planer. In addition to obvious utility, a disk made of quality steel has a good resource. And dull blades can be sharpened without the use of special tools.
Cutting end discs
Face disks, which are also called cutting, milling, sawing, offer material processing with a normal loading character for an angle grinder. That is, the nozzle rotates in the same way as an abrasive wheel, with the same directions of the arising forces and the mechanics of controlling the tool.
Such discs have a very important feature for beginners. The radial speed of the cutting edges is great. Therefore, when cutting grooves, sawing material sudden surges are possible. For example, due to its uneven density. The angle grinder can pry from the hands, there are displacements of the disk with a blow due to changes in the nature and area of processing. However, in the hands of the master, this relatively dangerous class of cutting discs allows you to do many operations.
- Wheeled. It is performed as a separate product or nozzle on a conventional abrasive. Has a flat end with teeth. The nozzle serves both for milling grooves and for grinding their bottom and edges.
- Studded. It is performed in the format of a saw blade with teeth, has one row of protrusions on their side parts. The nozzle is designed to form a shallow groove. Lateral teeth prevent deformation and reduce the risk of strong jerking during operation. They also allow the master to move perpendicular to the groove line, expanding it.
- Toothed planar. The difference from the previous product is that the teeth are placed on almost the entire lateral plane of the nozzle. The nozzle can be used when processing a flat surface, forming rectangular grooves of considerable depth, cutting thick workpieces.
It is simply impossible to list all the varieties of nozzles, adapters and devices with the installation of an angle grinder on the shaft. They can significantly increase the functionality of an angle grinder. Having a single tool in the workshop, the master can easily perform a large number of operations. It is not surprising that the disks and nozzles for the angle grinder are very popular and more and more new options are being developed.
Danger of working angle grinder with wood
The only operations with wood that can be performed with an angle grinder (angle grinder) without fear are grinding and grinding, and then using special nozzles. Sawing wood, of course, will work, but it is very dangerous. The Internet is full of shocking photos showing what the use of an angle grinder as a wood cutting tool leads to.
The main points that can be made against using an angle grinder for sawing are as follows.
- The design of this machine is not intended for sawing wood.
- Since the wood has a viscous and soft structure, the saw blade can jam in it. Due to this, the angle grinder is often tears out of the hands, and it flies in an unpredictable direction (leg, arm, stomach, etc.), causing a person deep wounds or amputation of fingers. Even deaths have been documented.
- When cutting wood very quickly saw blade heating, why he begins to lose strength. At the slightest distortion or excessive pressure, it can fly apart. Since the spindle revolutions of the angle grinder are large, the fragments of the tool fly apart with shrapnel speed and penetrate deeply under the skin of a person. The user is lucky if the fragments do not fly to the head or eyes.
- Despite the danger of using saw blades with teeth, some users of the angle grinder ignore this fact and continue to install circular disks with large teeth or advanced carbide taps. If, when cutting wood, a solid knot or the remainder of the nail gets caught in it, then the tooth or solder breaks off, clings to the next tooth of the saw and is thrown out at the speed of the bullet. One can only guess about the consequences.
- Ignoring all warnings, users of grinders install a larger diameter circular saw on the apparatus than a protective casing. This is the most dangerous use of the angle grinder.
Based on the foregoing, you can cut a tree with an angle grinder only at your own peril and risk, and then, if this is a single or infrequent operation.
If you have to saw a tree constantly, it is better to purchase a special machine for these purposes, or use a jigsaw. In extreme cases, the angle grinder can be used as a drive and made into a circular one, fixing the device rigidly to the bed.
Safety precautions when working with a wood angle grinder
If you nevertheless decided to use the angle grinder as a tool for cutting wood, then you should remember some safety measures that cannot be ignored.
- Before installing the tool on the angle grinder, it must be disconnected from the power supply.
- Under no circumstances do not remove the protective cover from the angle grinder. This is the only barrier between the circular saw and your skin. In some cases, he will be able to protect your face from flying debris of the instrument.
- When working with an angle grinder on wood and not only the use of protective gloves is a prerequisite.
- Do not use the large and powerful angle grinder for sawing wood. If the saw sticks, you cannot hold the tool in your hands.
- Do not use saw blades with large teeth, since the likelihood of them catching on solid wood fibers increases significantly and, accordingly, the likelihood of tearing the tool out of your hands increases.
- Angle grinder must have speed control, which need to be reduced to a minimum. If there is no regulator in the device, then it is better not to risk your health. In extreme cases, the regulator can be made with your own hands, and install it in an extension cord outlet.
- The angle grinder should be kept at right angles during sawing. From any slightest distortion, the circular saw may collapse.
- In no case can you lock the start button of the device, because in an emergency you can not stop the tool and minimize injuries.