How To Choose A Powerful Cordless Screwdriver
Choosing a cordless screwdriver
How to choose a cordless screwdriver
Cordless screwdriver Hitachi DS12DVF3
The instrument is made with a somewhat exotic appearance. This design is not accidental. Firstly, it is simply not economically feasible to forge a tool body, and, secondly, exotic linings protect the tool from falling. In addition, the pads also provide the necessary ergonomics for the screwdriver handle (the user’s hand is protected from vibrations and does not sweat during intensive work).
The delivery set of the screwdriver includes a flashlight, a charger that ensures the restoration of the product’s performance in 1 hour and a battery with a capacity of 1.4 Ah.
The screwdriver has 2 ranges of speeds: the first range of speeds includes values of rotation frequency from 0 to 300 rpm, and the second range from 0 to 1100 rpm.
The screwdriver is equipped with a keyless chuck (10 mm) and 22 torque settings.
When choosing, pay attention to the main disadvantages of the tool:
- A morally outdated, albeit very reliable drill chuck
- Unsuccessful attachment of the removable bit to the bracket (the bit often clings to clothing)
- Small size of the reverse button, although its location is quite convenient for the user
Cordless screwdriver Makita 8281DWPE
The tool is powered by a new generation Li-Ion battery with a voltage of 14.4 V, which is undoubtedly its advantage.
The instrument is supplied with 2 rechargeable batteries and a charger that restores the instrument to function in just one hour. The rotational speed of the screwdriver is divided into 2 ranges: the first range of speeds includes values of the rotational speed from 0 to 400 rpm, and the second range from 0 to 1300 rpm.
The screwdriver is equipped with a keyless chuck (10 mm), equipped with 16 steps of setting the torque (maximum value 36 Nm), and the weight of the tool is 1.7 kg. In addition to typical operations, the tool is equipped with an impact option, and is able to perform from 0 to 18 thousand impacts per minute.
As disadvantages of the tool you can specify the following:
- For a tool equipped with an impact function, the manufacturer has provided it with a fairly weak chuck
- Low battery capacity (only 1.3 Ah), which is not enough for intensive work
- There is a possibility that the hand may overlap the ventilation openings for cooling the motor during impact operation, and the ventilation openings are so poorly positioned that they will overlap in the case of wide palms of the user
- The gearbox housing of a screwdriver equipped with an impact function is preferably made of metal.
Cordless screwdriver BOSCH GSR 12-2 Professional
The tool is widely known in our country and externally is made in the style traditional for the BOSCH company. The product rotation speed range consists of 2 sub-ranges, namely:
- First sub-range from 0 to 400 rpm
- Second sub-range from 0 to 1200 rpm
The technical equipment of the tool includes a keyless chuck (10 mm), covering the handle of the product with a shock-absorbing pad and 25 steps of setting the torque, the maximum value of which is 27 Nm. The delivery set includes 2 batteries with a capacity of 1.5 Ah and a charger that restores the product’s performance in 1 hour.
The main disadvantages of a screwdriver are:
- No overlay on the back of the tool body
- Somewhat unsuccessful chuck positioning, which can cause inconvenience when changing the replacement tool
Criteria for choosing a cordless screwdriver
To choose a quality screwdriver, it is not enough to pay attention only to the price, appearance and comfort in the hand. It is necessary to additionally evaluate a lot of characteristics. Those who do not trust the consultants can independently study the technical passport of the device they like. It describes the main parameters and capabilities. What is important when buying a cordless screwdriver and which device is better for the house from inexpensive ones is described in detail in the following sections.
In branded models, the manufacturer, in addition to the standard features, also offers the user auxiliary functions. They greatly facilitate the work and can become a point above the “i”, dispelling doubts whether it is worth buying this or that model.
Most often found in tools:
- Charge indicator. A small light that will tell you when to put the battery on recharge;
- Reverse motion. And unscrew the screw, and the drill can be removed from the thick board;
- Impact mechanism. Indispensable if you need to work with a stone surface or brick;
- Illumination of the workplace. In some screwdrivers it is so powerful that there is no need for additional lighting.
There is also an impulse, various blockers, speed switches, etc. Each additional function is a plus to the price of the device, which means that you need to be 100% sure about its need in the device.
All about battery-powered screwdrivers: pros and cons
The main difference between the cordless screwdriver and the network model is the absence of a cord. Autonomy of work and non-attachment to an outlet are the main advantages of a tool with a battery inside.
The advantages of the device also include:
- Mobility. The tool and the charging battery are in the same housing, no additional elements are needed for operation. It is enough to take the device in hand, and it is already ready to work. Can be transferred to any location.
- Compactness. Typically, household autonomous screwdrivers are small in size. This makes the device especially convenient in hard-to-reach places.
- Universality. Technique replaces screwdriver and drill.
In practice, a cordless instrument is indispensable in objects without electricity, when it is necessary to frequently move or climb to a height. The device can be operated outdoors or indoors.
The only drawback here is the need to periodically charge the battery. Manufacturers are trying to solve this problem in every possible way, for example, offering 2 batteries with the tool. While one is in the working process, the second restores energy.
External sources of electricity
The option described above also belongs to the category of external devices for charging the battery. Alternatively, you can connect the instrument to a different power source, such as an old battery, to act as a power bank. The main thing is that it is working and has identical parameters. But this requires remarkable knowledge of electrical engineering: it is necessary to create a chain using crocodile adapters. You will need a 10 amp fuse and oversized wiring.
Advice: if the power tool is needed to work for a long time, it is better to select the model among professional options. Their batteries are much more powerful than those of household models.
General rules for charging the battery
If done properly, the battery will last a long time. Here are the basic principles for properly charging a screwdriver:
1. If the battery is being charged for the first time, it must be fully discharged and then fully charged before use.
2. The temperature in the room should be between 10 and 40 °.
3. To prevent the unit from overheating, it is necessary to disconnect the storage battery (AKB) from the charger as soon as it is charged.
4. If the screwdriver is not used for a long time, it is necessary to recharge it once a month for preventive purposes.
Screwdriver battery device
The main components of power tool batteries:
- The case on which the contacts are located;
- Thermistor, which is needed to protect against overheating (not all models have);
The main types of batteries and their features:
- Nickel-cadmium. Are cheaper than others, differ in ease. The downside is the memory effect. They need to be discharged to zero and charged to the end. If this is not done, the capacity will decrease.
- Nickel metal hydride. This type has a less pronounced memory effect, therefore, such devices are more expensive. If the Ni-MH battery is idle for more than 30 days, a full recharge is required.
- Lithium ion. One of the most popular types. They do not work well in the cold: they discharge faster, and with regular use and storage at subzero temperatures, their service life is reduced. But otherwise, such batteries are better than others. The high cost of Li-Ion is fully justified by the speed of charging and impressive capacity, as well as the absence of the aforementioned memory effect.