Professional tool for installation of interior doors
Interior doors and installation in Saint-Petersburg
You want to know what we will install your new doors with?. A whole arsenal of tools at your service!
In the installation, our company uses 4 types of end saws and not with simple. Combination saws are designed for different tasks and have different sizes of saw blades. For example, if you have a veneered or laminated doors Eco-Veneer, then Makita LH1040 will be enough which will perfectly cope with the task having a 260 mm disc. But if you have solid hardwood doors with thick boxes, a better and cleaner cut will perform Virutex TM33L or Makita LH1200FL, which are equipped with saws over 300 mm in diameter. Combination saws as a tool for installation of interior doors are used for cutting of material as lengthwise and crosswise. For example, for adjusting the width and length of the trim, moldings, boxes as required, as well as forming a corner of 45 degrees.
Makita LS0714. is another tool used for installation of doors, namely, for cross-cutting, clean cut of non-standard moldings, architraves and moldings. The saw is especially irreplaceable for installation of wooden baseboards, as, trimming joints of a baseboard under 45, is not done by other saws on products over 120 mm. Width of kerf. 300 mm, and this is a very good indicator!
Milling machines and equipment
In our practice, we use 4 types of cutters depending on the type of work and tasks. For example, hidden hinges, butterfly type hinges (not to be confused with the non-mounted, overhead hinges, which we highly do not recommend!). are deepened by means of several templates and a router of a leading Spanish developer Virutex, and the seats of lock plates and strikers by means of another specialized Makita router. The additive of “card” hinges, both universal and detachable, is carried out by a milling machine with appropriate, author’s modifications, which allow to achieve a perfect quality of mortise of fittings in interior doors Makita.
The key milling tool is a giant in our arsenal of tools for interior door installation, used for shaping (milling) the depth, width and length of the seats for locks of all sizes. Generally used for milling of the locks in solid hardwood doors and at high milling volumes.
Types and Characteristics of Tools for Installing Doors
In order to qualitatively install an interior door it is necessary to resort to several types of tools. So prepare them beforehand.
Though nowadays there are a lot of electrical and automated devices, you can’t do without usual hand tools. They always act as an indispensable base. Will work in any weather and without light.
So, the main hand tools you may need are:
- Chisel. Use it to make holes for locks and door hinges.
- Hammer. Needed for hammering nails, potholes, and wall breaks.
- Hacksaw. Use it to cut off unwanted parts of some elements, making them shorter. However, you can’t use it to, for example, saw a piece of wood along a tree.
- A crowbar or crowbar mount. Help you get rid of old door frames.
- A pistol for installation. To be used to fill gaps and cavities with builder’s foam or special mortar.
- Screwdriver set. An electric screwdriver will help to replace the electric screwdriver. A single screwdriver with interchangeable rods can also be used in place of the whole set.
- Chisel. Will make a quality cut in any material at a specific angle.
- A pencil to help you make a good cut in any material. An indispensable thing in the assembly of any door, as well as in any other type of work. It is desirable that the graphite is soft and easy to leave marks. You can use a marker. But it’s hard to scrub off all surfaces.
- Level and plumb line. These two items will help set the door flat, which will make it last long enough.
- You may also need a tape measure to measure the door openings and not to make mistakes when reducing the length of slats, jambs and so on.
These are the most basic hand tools you may need when installing a door.
Using only hand tools, it is almost impossible to achieve a perfect and easy door installation. Therefore, it is worth stocking up on the following tools:
- Peorator. Thunderbolt of all the neighbors and repairs. It will help to enlarge the doorway, make a hole for the anchor dowel.
- Drill. With its help you can make holes for anchor joints. It is important to check how securely the drill bit is attached before each drilling. Otherwise, it can pop off and damage both the person and the door leaf.
- An electric screwdriver simplifies the task of screwing in screws and other fasteners. Compared with a screwdriver, not much effort is needed to use it.
- The electric hinge cutter is used to facilitate the introduction of door hinges.
- The jigsaw replaces a hand saw that is not able to work in very tight spaces.
It can be seen that only the use of manual and electric tools together can give a good result on the installation of the interior door. Buy all the tools at once will not work, because they cost a certain amount of money, but together make a good capital. Therefore, it is necessary to choose the necessary and to consult with a salesman or someone who has already installed interior doors by himself.
In addition to the tools listed above, installation of interior doors will not do without consumables. The better they are, the longer the doors will last. So it is better to buy them in special stores, and do not save money. But first you need to understand what materials will be needed:
- For fasteners it is necessary to stock up on nails without caps, dowels and screws. It is better to buy them in packs. They are needed for installing the architraves, frames and door hinges.
- To fill the gap between the door frame and the wall will need foam mounting. It will not only eliminate the voids, but also improve the thermal and waterproofing. Foam comes in two varieties: household (inexpensive) and professional (expensive). The latter is better suited and will last longer.
- To get rid of cracks and seams you will need putty. And for plastering complex relief or large holes will need corrugated tape.
- In order to get an even door, you need to have even corners, equal to 90 degrees. This problem is solved with the help of metal corners. Which shows the level of deflection of the slopes and thresholds.
- To fix the door frame you need door wedges. They are made of any wood.
- Supports or spacers are also needed when installing the door. They help keep the frame in position until the foam is completely dry.
- Wood glue or liquid nails are necessary for fixing the frame and soffits.
- Next, you’ll need the tools that are useful for puttying and plastering, such as different sized rollers, trowels, spatulas, trowels, brushes. Also in addition comes a container for the mortar, a soft cloth, gloves.
Preparing and buying tools is not everything on the way to installing the door. Need to buy the above consumables of high quality. To mount the assembled doors to last a long time.
A stage on which the aesthetics and reliability depend
Installing interior doors with their own hands begins with the installation of the door frame in place. It is worth, of course, to pre-order its assembly at the place of production.
If the installation of interior doors made before the final process of finishing floors or future plans to lay carpet on the floor, you must consider the thickness of the coating. To the thickness of the carpet is added up to 10 mm gap between the floor surface and the course of the door. This way the installation will be done correctly.
Instructions for installing a door frame:
- Box initial installation interior doors (leaf) are placed on the floor, so as the final view is assumed in the opening. The size of the box is adjusted to the size of the leaf. To maintain technological gaps, especially keep in mind the bottom gap, it is recommended to use strips of cardboard.
- Parts are fastened with self-tapping screws, and if necessary, properly saw off the excess material with a wood saw.
- Next, the box with their own hands to install in the opening and fixed spacers in the upper gap between the wall of the opening and the board.
- The most crucial moment is the alignment of the hinge rack of the box in two planes. The post is fixed in the rear position using wedges. In the same way, the door post is aligned. To control, it is necessary to make a measurement of the width between the posts at the bottom and top of the box.
- For the last time with your own hands should be checked in strict horizontality upper slat, the final installation of interior doors attached to the box. The leaf is set aside for the time being, and the box is fixed with anchors to the slope. The remaining holes on the board need to install decorative plugs.
The speed and quality of installation of interior doors depend on the quality of the consumables used. Materials are prepared in advance. It is better to buy in specialized stores. For installation will require the following:
They will be needed for installing the frame, hinges, architraves and trimmers. All kinds of fasteners should be in abundance, so they are purchased in boxes.
- Assembling foam. Needed for blowing the gaps between the box and the wall. In addition, the foam will increase sound and heat insulation, as well as the adhesion of the box to the wall, so, its quality must be guaranteed high.
- Putty. A mixture will be needed for finishing and grouting joints and irregularities.
Buy from reliable suppliers, because the durability of the protective layer on the foamed areas depends on its quality.
- Serpentine tape. If the cracks are too wide, it is indispensable. It is often necessary to plaster surfaces with a complex relief. In such cases, corrugated tape can achieve the necessary strength.
- Metal corners. To be used when it is necessary to make the corners of slopes straight.
- Gypsum cardboard. It is necessary for the design of the flats of the soffits.
- Wooden wedges. To fix the frame in the opening, you need to have a dozen and a half small wedges. It can be made of any wooden slat.
- Spacers. To keep the frame in the right position until the foam is completely dry, spacers must be placed inside.
- Liquid nails. Fixing of platbands and soffits is often carried out with the use of glue.
But that’s not all. For the design of the opening you will need:
What cutters to use
For mortise locking of interior doors groove end milling cutters with cutting edge on the sides and front end are used.
There is a specialization. cutters designed specifically for this operation. They meet the depth and width requirements, the cutters are made of hard alloys (type BK8), which are equally good at selecting grooves in wood of any hardness, wood-fiber board, plastic and composite materials, cut through laminate well.
These cutters come in a variety of sizes. Average values:
- cutter blade height 30 mm;
- diameter of the working part of the cutter is 12 mm;
- Total length of cutters 120 mm;
- shanks in three variants. 8 mm, 10 mm and 12 mm.
With a router advance of 70 mm, a lock groove of approx. 90 mm can be produced with this cutter.
Their cost ranges around 1500. plus/minus 300-500 But there are instances costing only 150-500 and over 3000
The leafs of many modern doors made of wood-fibre board, bars (not solid wood) may have a small thickness of the side bar, into which the lock is embedded. For example, 50 mm, after which the void begins. For these doors it is not necessary to use long cutters with a large depth of sampling.
Disassembly of the old and installation of a new box is accompanied by the formation of large amounts of dust and debris. To cope with them, you need to prepare cleaning devices: buckets, broom or broom, rags, mop and vacuum cleaner. The process of installing interior construction includes stages of work, which will need different tools. The basic steps are:
- Dismantling old interior doors. If the box is still old, remove the sash and architraves. The old frame is sawed out, if necessary.
- Installing the frame. The box is adjusted to the opening (or vice versa), assembled and fixed in it. The gaps are fixed with foam and putty.
- Decorate the opening. The protruding foam is cut off, the plaster is sanded down. Moulds are shaped and trimmed. Frames are installed.
- Interior doors installation. Hinges and locks are inserted. The leaf is hinged on the frame. Fix handles, onlays and other fittings.
Everything you need for installation of interior doors can be divided into three groups: materials, electric and manual tools.
Types of cutters
Cutting nozzles on the electric milling unit, depending on the type of work and the expected result, are divided into two main groups: edge and groove. The first ones are needed for making carved details and edges. Slots, indentations and recesses of various sizes can be produced with the latter.
The keyhole cutters for mortise locks can be filigree, used for processing of panels, and spiral, which results in a through hole for the handles in the interior door.
Selecting tools for mortise locks in interior doors
Install the locks on the interior doors more often have to method of mortise. But to invite professionals for this is not necessarily. But here’s a use of professional tools (and choose it carefully) will have in any case.
What tools do I need for the installation of doors?
Hello, I am interested in the question of what tools I will need to install the door?
Install an interior door on your own, if you have the tools in your arsenal, allowing you to perform all the work without the involvement of professionals.
The tools needed to assemble and install the door frame Assembling the door frame can be done in two ways sawing vertical, horizontal struts. Connect the elements with self-tapping screws, proceed to install in the opening. Installation can go quickly, without problems. But there are situations that require rework the opening.
All steps are performed with the following tools:
For filing corners. a circular saw or a plane saw with a hacksaw.
A coping saw and a plane with a hacksaw are indispensable for filing corners
For drilling holes for screws. a drill with a set of screws of necessary diameter (the size of screws).
The necessary tools for drilling holes for self-tapping screws
For screwing in screws. an electric screwdriver with a set of bits or a Phillips screwdriver.
To screw in screws electric screwdriver or screwdriver set is needed
To install the box in the opening:
Everything you need to install the frame in the door opening
At all stages cannot do without a pencil, a tape measure in order to correctly apply the marks.
You will need a tape measure and a pencil to make the marks correctly
If there are problems with the opening (it is smaller or larger in size), tools are used to correct the dimensions:
Use these tools to increase or decrease the dimensions of the door opening
Using these items, you can enlarge the opening. To reduce dimensions, make additional inserts around the perimeter, seal or grout.
Many of the tools on the list are found in a man’s home. If something is missing, buy more. Useful in the home.
A tool for installing doors: the choice of professionals
Installing solid wood doors. methods available to amateurs
Installing hinges on the interior door: types of hinges, installation methods. Video instructions on how to install different hinges with your own hands
Inserts for version 2 templates.0; 2.1; 3.0″” width=””” height=”” /
Inserts for card hinges, hidden installation hinges, locks and their bodies, strikers, lever handles, bolts
Special quick-opening system Instant self-assembly Large work surface
Particular quick opening system Instant self-assembly Large work surface
Used to copy the width of the door leaf and then clamp it onto the door frame. Min 55cm. Max. 90 cm
For copying the distances between the templates for mortise door hinges
drilling jig, drilling jig for door fittings, drilling jig for hinges and door locks, drilling jig for hinges, drilling jig for hidden hinges, drilling of hinges, interior doors installation tool, folding workbench, workbench table, post for frame installation, door support, interior doors installation tool, router table
How to check if an interior door is properly installed
Everyone who is installing interior doors for the first time, asking questions: Is the door correctly mounted, and what should be done to ensure that it will serve long and properly. There is a complete answer, which consists of two points.
- A sign of a properly installed door is a uniform technological gap around the whole perimeter of the leaf. This means that if the gap around the sash is the same size everywhere, the leaf is mounted correctly.
- The door has to pass a small test. When opening (and closing) the leaf should not hear any extraneous sounds, creaks, rustles (friction of one surface against another). The sash moves easily, without any effort. If the hand stops, the leaf stops and should not move on its own.
If these two conditions are fulfilled, the door has been assembled according to technical and functional standards.
Interior door dismantling
Often the installation of an interior door is preceded by dismantling. Disassembly is carried out in the reverse order to assembly.
Disconnect the elements of decor. trim and upholstery. Use a crowbar or large screwdriver for this. Decorative elements can be reused, so don’t break them when dismantling. If these parts are intact, they can be painted, coated with laminated film and used when mounting a new door.
Remove the architraves with a crowbar or an axe
To remove the leaf from the hinges, turn it by 90 degrees and lift it with the lever
The electric tool speeds up the door dismantling several times faster
In order to speed up the door frame removal it is recommended to use an angle grinder with a cutting wheel for metal. If the old fasteners are difficult to unscrew, you can quickly separate the door frame from the wall by cutting the metal screws.
If you are not confident in your abilities, of course, it is better to turn to professional installers, because the correct execution of the assembly and installation is not the only, but a necessary condition for long-term operation of interior doors. But if you have at least a little experience in carpentry work, and the operations described in this article do not cause you doubts about the possibility of repeating them. feel free to proceed with the installation of the door with your own hands. You can save money and be absolutely sure of getting every job done.
Subscribe to our channel in Yandex.Zen