Angle Grinder Makita With Speed Control
Angle Grinder with Speed Control: Power Tool Capabilities Want to put a speed control on your angle grinder, but don’t know how? Read the article for a better understanding of what it is and what it is for.
Typical speed regulator circuit
This is how the governor board assembly looks like
The engine speed regulator is not just a variable resistor that steps down the voltage. An electronic control of the magnitude of the current is required, otherwise, with a drop in speed, the power will proportionally decrease, and, accordingly, the torque. In the end, a critically low voltage value will come, when, with the slightest resistance of the disk, the electric motor simply cannot turn the shaft.
Therefore, even the simplest regulator must be calculated and executed in the form of a well-developed circuit.
And more advanced (and, accordingly, expensive) models are equipped with regulators based on an integrated circuit.
Integrated circuit of the regulator. (most advanced option)
If we consider the electrical circuit of the angle grinder in principle, then it consists of a speed controller and a soft start module. Power tools equipped with advanced electronic systems are significantly more expensive than their simple counterparts. Therefore, not every home craftsman is able to purchase such a model. And without these electronic blocks, only the winding of the electric motor and the power button will remain.
The reliability of modern electronic components of the angle grinder exceeds the resource of the motor windings, so you should not be afraid of purchasing a power tool equipped with such devices. The only limit can be the price of the product. Over, users of inexpensive models without a regulator sooner or later come to install it on their own. The block can be purchased ready-made or made by yourself.
Why regulate the rotational speed of an angle grinder at all?
- When cutting metal of different thickness, the quality of work is highly dependent on the speed of rotation of the blade.
When cutting hard and thick material, it is necessary to maintain the maximum rotational speed. When processing thin sheet metal or soft metal (for example, aluminum), high speed will lead to melting of the edge or rapid blurring of the working surface of the disc;
- Cutting and cutting stone and tiles at high speeds can be dangerous.
In addition, the disc, which rotates at high speeds, knocks out small pieces from the material, making the cutting surface chipped. Over, for different types of stone, different speeds are selected. Some minerals are just processed at high speeds;
- Grinding and polishing is basically impossible without speed control.
Incorrectly setting the speed, you can ruin the surface, especially if it is a paintwork on a car or a material with a low melting point;
- The use of discs of different diameters automatically implies the mandatory presence of a regulator.
Changing the disc Ø115 mm to Ø230 mm, the rotation speed must be reduced by almost half. And holding an angle grinder with a 230 mm disc rotating at 10,000 rpm in your hands is almost impossible;
- Depending on the type of crowns used, stone and concrete surfaces are polished at different speeds. Over, with a decrease in the rotation speed, the torque should not decrease;
- When using diamond discs, it is necessary to reduce the number of revolutions, since their surface quickly breaks down from overheating.
Of course, if your angle grinder works only as a pipe, angle and profile cutter, you will not need a speed controller. And with a universal and versatile application, the angle grinder is vital.
Angle grinder with speed controller: power tool capabilities
If the angle grinder does not have a speed control, can I install it myself?
Most angle grinders (angle grinder), among the common people of Bulgarians, have a speed controller.
The speed controller is located on the housing of the angle grinder
Consideration of the various adjustments should begin with an analysis of the electrical circuit of the angle grinder.
The simplest diagram of a grinding machine
Advanced models automatically maintain rotational speed regardless of load, but tools with manual disc speed control are more common. If a trigger-type regulator is used on a drill or an electric screwdriver, then such a regulation principle is not possible on an angle grinder. Firstly, the features of the instrument suggest a different grip when working. Secondly, adjustment during operation is unacceptable, therefore, the rpm value is set with the motor turned off.
A huge number of grinders of various modifications are presented on our site Before purchasing, it is necessary to determine the scope and study the technical characteristics of individual models. In the selection process, pay attention to:
- The length of the cord. The optimal size will be 2-3 meters, the smaller size will limit the actions. However, it is worth remembering that there are also cordless angle grinders.
- Handle position. Typically, most models have multiple handle positions.
- The system of quick replacement of motor brushes will help replace old brushes with new ones.
- Smooth starting prevents abrupt starts and gear wear.
- Blocking of accidental start. The button will protect the employee from unintentional start.
- The anti-vibration system will reduce the vibration of the tool.
- The quick-release nut allows for quick disc replacement.
- Weight is matched to the worker. Depends on modification, power and set of options.
If you have any difficulties in choosing, contact the specialists of the Voltra.By catalog, they will provide qualified assistance and help you purchase the optimal model of an angle grinder.
Features of adjustable angle grinder
The adjustment mechanism allows you to choose the speed of rotation of the disc for a particular material. So, low speeds are necessary for working with soft metal (aluminum), which can melt at high speeds. High is acceptable for hard metals. Adjustment is used in cases:
- For stone processing. It is cut and grinded at low speeds, the frequency is selected for a certain grade.
- For a gentle finish on fragile surfaces. High rpm can ruin the material.
- When replacing one circle. In this case, you need to adjust the speed.
- The use of diamond blades is only permissible at low rpm, otherwise they may burn out or break.
Appointment and equipment.
Each type of grinder has a different effect on the surface to be treated. But unlike the belt and eccentric, the angle grinder grinds the most aggressively.
Roughing operations are performed with small and large angle grinders with attached wire brushes. They remove scale, rust, old paintwork and slag crust from metal after welding, and they use sisal and polymer-abrasive brushes to brush wood.
Grinding with a change in the surface geometry, chamfering, and removal of sagging is performed with abrasive stripping and flap discs installed on an angle grinder.
Household and professional angle grinders, even more often than for stripping, are used to cut metal, wood, stone and reinforced concrete. Variable speed models with felt or foam accessories allow polishing workpieces. And diamond cutters and special wheels, such as Yato YT-59174, milling stone and wood surfaces.
Powerful 230mm Titan Large Angle Grinder BUSM26230
Is the soft start function the same for all tools?
Not. And the speed of reaching the operating mode and the user experience are different. In the Flex L 3406 VRG, the rig unwinds in 1.5 seconds and is very soft. The Makita GA9040RF01 jerk, though small, is felt. And for Fiolent MSHU 1-20-230 acceleration occurs without jerking, but in two stages.