Work Angle Grinder Wood Video
Angle grinder (angle grinder) has a fairly wide scope. Without it, welding work, installation of various kinds of frames from reinforcement, including pouring a strip or slab foundation, are not complete.
Even the device of the ground loop in the courtyard of a private house involves the use of such a power tool. However, it is worth remembering the safety precautions when working with it.
Today we will consider 5 basic secrets of working with an angle grinder, which will help protect the home craftsman from possible injuries.
Working with an angle grinder requires accuracy and utmost care
What is an angle grinder and what is it for: general information
The name itself indicates that it is intended for grinding corners. However, the work performed by the angle grinder will depend on the disc selected and installed.
For example, it can be a cutting wheel, a grinding wheel or a special metal brush that allows you to quickly remove rust from a metal surface. But brushes are used extremely rarely.
The most frequent use of an angle grinder can be called cutting various metals. Pipes, sheets, corners or channels.
Keep the angle grinder during operation very firmly in one position, without warping to the side
It is cutting that is considered the most dangerous job using an angle grinder. In order to make this work faster, easier and safer, you should choose the right type of tool.
What angle grinder can be found on Russian shelves
Angle grinders differ from each other not only in size and weight, but also in the speed of rotation of the disk. Heavier medium-sized angle grinders accelerate the disc to 6000–7000 rpm. For such devices, the speed is low, but at the same time the power allows you to “dissolve” a rather thick-walled metal.
Good to know! The smaller the number of revolutions per minute, the larger the diameter of the disk can be used for work.
The small angle grinder has a very high disk speed
For domestic needs, angle grinders are often used, which have a very low weight, which allows you to hold it with one hand, and reduced dimensions. Such an angle grinder can reach speeds of up to 16,000 rpm, and the disks used for work are very small.
There are also very large angle grinders that can only be operated with a special stand, but they are used only for industrial needs and in general they can already be classified as a face saw. Such equipment will not be considered today.
The medium-sized angle grinder has higher power, but the number of revolutions per minute is less
Reciprocating Electric Saw: what is needed for, types and main characteristics, reciprocating saw blades; differences between models on drywall, wood, metal and aerated concrete; review of manufacturers of electric saws; rating of battery, household and professional saws, equipment repair. In our publication.
Secrets of safe working with an angle grinder
In order to reduce the risk of injury, various protection elements are used: work suits made of thick fabric, plexiglass mask, gloves. However, confidence in safety at work can only be given by the implementation of the basic rules, which will now be considered.
Rule number 1: the location of the adjustable handle
The handle should be on top.
Many craftsmen screw it on the side, in a horizontal position, claiming that this way the cut area is better visible, and therefore higher safety, but this is a dangerous misconception.
Only with the vertical position of the handle on top is it possible to ensure a firm grip and protect yourself and others from the option when the angle grinder flies out of your hands when “biting” the disk.
The handle should be located on top. This will provide a secure grip
Many will ask why, in this case, a lateral arrangement of the handle is provided. It is used in grinding work, when there is no danger of “biting” the disc with metal parts.
Rule number 2: the direction of rotation of the disk
Inexperienced masters often believe that the disk should rotate, making a cut “from yourself” so that the sparks fly away from the operator.
However, no specialist who has experience working with angle grinders will agree with this statement. The fact is that a special casing protects against flying sparks, so they are not afraid of the master.
Here the question arises in another: how will the angle grinder behave in case of “biting” the disc with metal?
When turning “toward you”, a sharply stopped jammed disk causes the angle grinder to break free from the operator’s hands towards the ground, i.E. Away from the master.
If this happens during the reverse rotation, “away from you”, the angle grinder can fly into the head of the person who is working with it, which at best will be very unpleasant, and at worst fraught not only with a hospital bed, but also with more dire consequences.
The disk should rotate “on itself”. The protective cover will not allow sparks to fly into the eyes, and the use will be safer
Rule number 3: the location of the metal when cutting
Many novice craftsmen make a serious mistake by fixing the sawn pipe or channel on both sides and starting cutting between fasteners. With this arrangement, there is a high probability of jamming of the disk at the end of the cut.
For example, you can recall the usual board, which everyone at least once in his life sawed. At the end, the hacksaw clamps and you have to look for a position that will lead to the opposite effect. With pipes the same story. One end should be weighted.
In this case, squeezing will occur, not jamming.
Important! Watch the condition of the edge of the disc. At higher speeds, a small chip can cause the circle to fly apart, leading to serious injury.
The edge of the part should be on weight. This will protect against jamming of the disc
Rule number 4: the use of the lateral plane of the disk is prohibited
Many “craftsmen” argue that sharpening drills with the side surface of the cutting wheel is completely safe. Sometimes such a delusion can cost a life.
After all, the circle itself consists of an abrasive, which is reinforced on both sides by a metal or fiberglass mesh. If the reinforcing layer is damaged, the abrasive may not withstand the speed of rotation and will fly apart.
That is why only the end surface is considered working.
Also, do not use a cutting wheel for metal for cutting wood. Despite the fact that this material is softer, when the circle rotates, its temperature rises sharply, which leads first to the appearance of smoke, and with continued work, to the melting of the adhesive base of the disk. The result may be its destruction, which, again, will lead to injury.
Work with the side plane of the disc is prohibited
Rule number 5: the nuances of working with an angle grinder
When installing a disk on an angle grinder, many try to thoroughly stretch the nut with the key included in the kit. This is a big mistake. This key is for unscrewing only.
It is enough to tighten the installed disk manually. The angle grinder is designed so that the nut twists during operation.
Therefore, the use of the key during installation will lead to difficulties, and sometimes to the inability to unscrew the nut afterwards.
It is worth paying attention to the launch of an angle grinder. The button should be pressed only if nothing interferes with the drive. This means that in no case can you immerse the circle in the started cut before it is untwisted and enters the duty cycle of rotation.
You need to tighten the nut manually. The key is not used
General Safety Rule: Choosing a Disc for Angle Grinder
Choosing a circle for an angle grinder, you should pay attention to the speed of its rotation. The higher it is, the smaller the diameter of the disk will be. The maximum permissible rotation speed is always indicated on its side surface. In no case can you ignore this data. We give one of the real cases that have happened.
Do not repeat! The worker did not find a small cutting wheel on an angle grinder with a rotation speed of 16,000 rpm, and removing the protective cover, installed a large disk with a maximum of 6600 rpm. Tightening the nut, he pressed the start button, as a result of which, naturally, the disk instantly scattered. The result. The absence of two fingers on the left hand, eye damage and numerous minor injuries.
Similar cases at construction sites happen regularly. There are several reasons for this. Many “sin” on the lack of coaching at the workplace, but you must remember that safety, first of all, you need to ensure for yourself. So, to know the rules and observe them, you must first of all the worker himself.
Despite the fact that the angle grinder is a rather dangerous tool, in some cases you can not do without it.
If you follow all the rules discussed today, you can be sure that the work will take place without the occurrence of dangerous emergency situations.
After all, if you think about it, then any power tool can be harmful if the safety rules and the use of equipment are not followed during operation.
All disks indicate the maximum permitted rotation speed
We hope that the information presented in today’s article will be useful to beginner home masters and interesting to other dear readers. If you have any questions while familiarizing yourself with it, the editors of Homius.
Ru with pleasure will answer them as soon as possible. You only need to state the essence in the discussions below. It is possible that the article did not consider some important, in your opinion, detail. In this case, please write about it. We will definitely supplement our article.
And finally, we suggest watching a short on the rules of working with an angle grinder.
The specialist must use all the necessary methods of protection, be collected and focus his attention. This will protect against injury not only to the master, but also to people who are nearby.
The simple design of an angle grinder does not prevent it from being one of the most popular and necessary tools in the household. The principle of operation is an electric motor that drives the shaft through an angular gear onto which a special disk is mounted.
The main advantage of this technique is its versatility, because when using different discs, cutting, polishing or stitching of excess material is performed. There are discs designed for working with wood, but they cannot be used for metal. As a polishing consumable, disks with an abrasive base of different grit are used.
An angle grinder is classified into several types:
- Small, medium and high power;
- Without handles;
- With one or two handles.
The only difference is the operating time. Powerful appliances can work longer without overheating, but household appliances have to rest. If necessary, an angle grinder serves as the basis for creating a small machine. To do this, the angle grinder is fixed stationary and grind parts, drills, cutters and sharpen knives.
Angle grinder is an indispensable technique during construction and rescue operations in auto repair shops and business.
There are several reasons why an angle grinder is considered a hazardous tool:
- Working with an angle grinder often takes place on an unstable surface where support cannot be found for a stable position.
- Despite the protection, most of the rotating disk is not protected.
- Abrasive polishing discs often break during operation into medium and small parts, which fly apart at great speed in different directions.
The main danger when working with equipment is the principle of its use. For cutting the disc must be in contact with the surface of the material, wherein the master holds the angle grinder on weight, relying only on my own experience and attentiveness.
One awkward movement. And the disk breaks in case of strong contact with the working surface or a jerk of the machine occurs. That is why when working with powerful units better to have already basic skills.
For beginners, an angle grinder household with a small capacity and a disk diameter of 115-125 mm is more suitable.
If you well understand the instructions for the safe use of an angle grinder, then you can not worry about your health. In safety when working with an angle grinder, several important points are made:
- During cutting, the angle grinder is firmly held with both hands, but is not pressed into the surface of the work area;
- The master must stand firmly on his feet or knees. This will protect him from injury when jerking a tool;
- The power cable must be at a safe distance from the cutting disc and the platform where the hot sparks fly;
- Movements in the working area are carried out with the device turned off;
- If the power goes out, the angle grinder should be de-energized;
- The thickness of the disc should not exceed the diameter of the cutting disc. It is important to calculate and grinding the circle during operation.
An angle grinder is a dangerous tool. When working with it, a number of conditions should be observed:
- Do not use the tool without safety glasses;
- Before starting cutting or polishing, check that the blade is idle;
- Clothing should cover your hands and protect from hot sparks;
- Do not remove the protective cover from the angle grinder;
- During cutting on the plane, the master and assistant should be on the side of the tool;
- The unit cuts the material under its own weight, and excess load will lead to deformation or jerking;
- Work without a break leads to overheating of the equipment and fatigue of the master, who must hold the angle grinder tight in his hands, observing the cutting angle;
- Workpiece must be firmly fixed;
- It is impossible to grind the details on the side of the cutting disc, because for such works there are specialized circles;
- Within the area of work is a master and his assistant. All other people retreat to a safe distance;
- The radius of the cutting wheel should correspond to 1/6 of the thickness of the workpiece.
Work with defective discs
Health risks often come from a deformed cutting disc. Even a minor defect at high speed manifests itself in an unexpected way. Chips, a crack, the absence of a small piece of the disk leads to its loosening, which is why often the angle grinder simply flies out of the hands.
Therefore, before you start cutting, pre-supplies are better check for defects, and do it immediately before starting work, because damage could appear after a fall or external exposure to the disk.
Sometimes they can step on a plate, but the master simply will not notice it.
Despite numerous warnings that it is impossible to work with defective discs, there are situations when the master simply did not visually see the defects. Such situations occur constantly and therefore it is necessary to follow a number of rules in order to maximally protect your health:
- Before each installation or start of cutting, it is necessary to check the consumables for defects;
- Work exclusively in personal protective equipment: gloves, goggles or face shield.
An angle grinder is most often weighted in the hands of the master and does not have a fulcrum, so the cutting process or polishing should be approached extremely assembled and sober. People with an unbalanced psyche or poor health are prohibited from starting work with an angle grinder.
The principle of woodwork
The angle grinder was originally designed for polishing and grinding surfaces, and therefore it can easily handle operations on wooden workpieces. At the same time, there are nuances and rules of work that will not only secure the wizard, but also help to better cope with the processing of wood.
First, you should dwell on the varieties of nozzles, among which there are:
- Grinding plates are a multi-layer composite disk where rubber and plastic alternate with foam rubber, sandpaper or wool flannel. The structure helps to extend the life of the wheel and polish the surface.
- Petal discs are designed for rough processing of wood at the initial stage. On the surface of the circle are attached petals of sandpaper of different grain sizes, which polish the surface, removing all the flaws.
- A wire brush is used to remove old paint from a wooden surface.
Work Angle Grinder Wood
Operations related to polishing or polishing wood are considered relatively safe. During operation, the disc does not get stuck in the cut; there are no jerks, short circuits, or deformations of the circle.
For cutting wood material, only one type of cutting wheel is used. With side teeth it resembles a circular saw blade, but they are not so long. The teeth help to cut into the material more strongly, but you need to carefully saw the boards, as the jerks of the angle grinder are not excluded. Boards with a thickness of about 40 mm are sawn off.
It is strictly forbidden to use circular disks instead of cutting wheels, because they are designed to operate at 3 thousand rpm. The angle grinder does not give out even half this speed. Accordingly, circular circles are deformed at best. The use of circular circles can cause serious injury.
In the construction industry, the angle grinder occupies a leading position among tools. Using special disks and nozzles, they cut and polish ceramic products, preparing them for installation. A special consumable is required for a diamond grinder with an angle grinder, because cutting ceramics with a conventional cutting wheel will lead to breakage or cracking on the tile.
Dry tile disks are divided into segmented and solid. Both species do not need constant cooling. Which is why they got their name.
Solid wheels cooled only after 1−2 minutes of work by lowering the circle in cold water.
Segmented view cools itself through slots, but they are not always suitable for cutting ceramic tiles due to the formation of chips on the surface of the material.
Segmented or solid disk processes ceramic material and any natural stone. Sometimes, with high-quality work, it is possible to cut the paving slabs with a household angle grinder without deformation or to process the edge of the cut.
Straight line cutting
In contrast to wood cutting, ceramics are a fragile and demanding material that is easily deformed under high loads. Therefore, the discs are pre-selected depending on the density of the stone. The speed should be higher than when processing low-density materials.
It is most effective to cut ceramic tiles using circles with a diameter of 115 mm at a speed of about 6-8 thousand revolutions per minute. Not every household angle grinder gives such power, so you have to find a tool with the necessary characteristics.
The procedure for working with the material is divided into several stages:
- The tile is laid on a flat surface with a fixed clamp and marked in the cutting zone.
- Cutting begins gradually along the surface of the entire tile. First you need to make a track with a depth of 1-1.5 mm, gradually increasing it.
- The angle grinder is moved while washing evenly and slowly. You can not put pressure on the unit, because he himself goes into the tile under his weight.
- Completely cut the material does not make sense. Most often, they put a nail under the tile and simply crack it with a click.
Processing Angle Grinder Metal
Cutting metal products requires care, patience and basic skills. This will help keep the angle grinder in weight, which will prevent jerking and sucking the disc into the hole.
When cutting metal products, a number of rules should be observed:
- All workpieces are securely fixed and cleaned from rust.
- Before cutting, it is better to cool the metal.
- The disk can be pinched by the workpiece, so it is better to gradually increase the depth of the slot.
- There is no need to press the angle grinder, as it quietly cuts under its own weight.
Angle grinder is an indispensable assistant in any household or on large construction works. It helps to process any material with minimal effort and time. Initial experience and tips will be enough for successful manipulations with this tool. The main thing is to observe safety precautions during the work, which will help to avoid serious injuries.
Using an angle grinder: safety instructions for working with the tool
Angle grinder is a high-risk building electric tool. In inexperienced hands, an angle grinder is capable of causing injury not only to the operator working with it, but also to people around it.
The tool is equally dangerous regardless of performance class, power and even size.
Before you start working with an angle grinder, you must carefully familiarize yourself with the safety procedures and the features of using an angle grinder.
The main danger of the tool lies in the principle of operation of the angle grinder. An angle grinder is a powerful and heavy tool with which material is cut or ground. Most often, the point of contact of the disk with the material is the only point of support, the tool is held by the operator on weight.
To carry out the work, part of the cutting disc is brought out, does not have a protective casing. The high speed of rotation of the disk leads to the fact that fragments and particles of material fly apart.
In addition, often there is a breakdown of the abrasive disk itself, which is dangerous not only by fragments, but also by an unexpected movement of the tool to the side during operation.
To avoid dangerous problems, it is necessary to study the safety precautions for working with an angle grinder.
- Personal protection includes tight long-sleeved clothing, goggles with a respirator, or a face mask.
- Removing the protective cover increases the risk of personal injury.
- Before use, check the abrasive disc for damage. Run the angle grinder idle for 30 seconds to verify that the disc is working.
- It is forbidden to stand in the cutting zone, it is necessary to be on the side.
- The direction of movement of the angle grinder is away from you. The tool has enough body weight to work, there is no need to put extra effort.
- The part to be processed needs to be carefully fixed so that it does not move during operation and does not bounce after the end of the process.
- For grinding parts there are special nozzles. Using the side surface of the abrasive disc for this purpose is prohibited.
- Correctly select the radius of the cutting disc, the thickness of the cut should be no more than half the radius. Reliable if the thickness does not exceed 1/6 of the radius.
Safety knowledge is not enough for a high-quality and safe work performed by an angle grinder. There are rules for working with an angle grinder, compliance with which will give the fastest and highest quality result without harming the operator’s health.
- When working with an angle grinder, observe the rest mode, hands tired of weight and vibration are not able to hold a dangerous tool firmly.
- During work in the room there should be no strangers, focus on the process and do not be distracted from business.
- Take a comfortable and stable position, hold the tool with both hands, regardless of its size or weight.
- Correctly select the nozzles for the angle grinder, use as directed. Do not exceed the disc radius allowed for a particular tool.
- Before turning on the angle grinder, check how the wire lies, if it falls into the cut area. The electric cable should be freely located on the floor behind the operator, without tension so as not to hamper the movement.
- When changing position or place of work, always unplug the tool from the mains.
- Do not forget to turn off the angle grinder in case of an unexpected power outage, so that during the supply of electricity to prevent the sudden operation of the tool.
Angle grinder back strike is a situation in which a wedge of a rotating disk occurs, often with subsequent destruction. The danger of the problem lies in a sudden and abrupt change in the direction of movement of the tool, the angle grinder throws back to the operator.
Prevention of a kickback is to comply with safety regulations and the rules for using an angle grinder, since more often this situation is an operator’s mistake. To hold the tool, it is important to stand firmly on your feet in a stable position. As a rule, a back strike occurs when the cut is completed, when it remains to cut the last jumper between the two parts.
Experts recommend stopping the tool before reaching the end of the cut 1-2 cm, and complete the cut from the back.
Remember safety when working with the angle grinder, be focused, and do not be distracted by extraneous thoughts and deeds, then you will not have problems with the tool.
How to work right angle grinder. Cut, saw, hold, put the disc
How to safely and correctly cut an angle grinder?
Getting started, you need to know how to cut the angle grinder in order to not only perform the planned amount of work efficiently, but also to maintain health. This tool in unskillful hands presents a great danger, and improper handling can lead to disaster. All safety instructions and instructions must be observed.
Device and features angle grinder
The device and principle of operation for all types of angle grinders are the same. Using an angular gear, the electric motor transmits rotational motion to the spindle, on which various interchangeable nozzles are mounted. Disks are additionally fixed with a clamping nut. The case of an angle grinder is equipped with two handles (rarely one) and a protective casing.
Angle grinders (angle grinder) are designed for cutting various materials (stone, concrete, brick, metal, tile, etc.), grinding, grinding, grinding and polishing.
Each type of processing involves the use of a special nozzle or disc.
Some adapt this multifunctional tool for other purposes, for example, for sharpening cutting surfaces (cutters, knives, drills, etc.), cutting glass, wood and much more.
Angle grinder is an indispensable equipment for any kind of construction and repair work. You can’t do without it in car repair shops, during rescue operations, in public utilities and in other areas of human activity. This tool is widely used both in industry and in everyday life.
Correct tool position
Cutting an angle grinder must be safe, so there are some requirements for the position of the tool in space:
- Angle grinder should be comfortable and firmly held with both hands.
- You should take a stable position so that under heavy loads or during impact, you can hold the equipment in your hands.
- The angle grinder should be taken in such a way that the cut area is not in front of the operator, but on the side. When the cutting wheel seizes, the rotating cutting tool will be off to the side.
In the you will learn how to cut: from yourself or from yourself:
The correct position of the cut parts and materials
Before starting work with an angle grinder, it is required to properly prepare the workplace and provide for some nuances:
- Sawing should be carried out in the direction of rotation of the cutting disc, while parts of the material should not be pressed against each other, but a break should be applied.
- Metal rarely breaks before the end of the cut, unlike wood.
- Do not saw a workpiece made of metal with an angle grinder if the ends of the workpiece are fixed on two supports. In this case, the disc may be jammed at the end of the cut, and the machine will vomit out of hand.
- In the process of doing the work, the cutting plane should not change, skews should not be allowed.
- You do not need to put much pressure on the angle grinder, because you can break the disk. If cutting is too slow, replace the cutting element.
The workpiece must remain stationary during processing. It must be firmly and firmly fixed in a vise or fixed on a fixed heavy structure with clamps.
Heavy objects that are difficult to move due to their heavy weight are allowed not to be fixed. It is strictly forbidden to hold the angle grinder with one hand, and not with two, while not fixing the workpiece rigidly, but holding it with the second hand.
In this case, the part may shift relative to the cutting wheel and there is a danger of jamming.
The part is fixed in such a way that sagging and bending in the cutting zone are eliminated. The narrowing of the cut will lead to the clamping of the disk in the cutting area and to reactive shock. It is better to cut the protruding edge. If you cut in the middle, then biting the disk can not be avoided.
Protection of surrounding surfaces from damage and ignition
When you are indoors, when an anvil angle grinder is being cleaned, cutting pipes, ceramic tiles or other finishing materials, care must be taken to protect against sparks generated during the operation of the cutting tool. To do this, nearby flammable objects, as well as the floor and walls, must be covered with a wet, dense woven material or asbestos cloth.
Using a special disk for each type of work
When carrying out each type of processing, it is necessary to use nozzles that are intended only for these operations. All equipment is marked accordingly.
It is not allowed to install a nozzle with a larger disk diameter on the angle grinder than indicated in the instructions for this model. Small angle grinders have a higher nozzle rotation speed than angle grinders with large dimensions.
Therefore, disks of large diameters that are designed for lower speeds can be destroyed.
In addition, to put a larger disc, you will have to remove the casing of an angle grinder, and this is prohibited by safety regulations. Increased loads from rotation of such a circle negatively affect the operation of the bearings, causing their premature wear and reducing the life of the equipment.
Do not use an angle grinder for cutting porcelain stoneware or tiles, if a disk for cutting metal is installed on it, because this material will crumble and crack. There are other types of discs to work with such fragile materials.
Safety precautions prohibit the use of non-specialized saw blades for cutting wood. Wood is a natural material that has inclusions in the form of knots in its structure.
When the cutting blade hits such heterogeneity, a jet strike occurs and the angle grinder pulls it out of hand. Nails trapped in an array of wood can lead to destruction of the cutting circle.
Cutting tools specially designed for wood processing are produced, but experienced specialists advise cutting wood with an electric jigsaw.
Disks for angle grinders are classified according to their purpose:
- Cutting off. Special cutting discs are designed for different types of materials. An abrasive wheel is suitable for cutting metal pipes and corners. Using a diamond cutting wheel, you can work with concrete or stone. Using a thin diamond blade at low speeds, you can cut the glass angle grinder.
- Grinding and polishing. Such discs also have a narrow specialization in the type of material being processed.
- Peeling discs and brushes. Used for removing old paint, stripping and other works.
- Nozzles for working with wood. There are special discs for milling, sawing and polishing wood.
Proper start, stop and breaks
The start, break and stop modes of the angle grinder should also be carried out correctly. It should be guided by such important points:
- Before cutting the angle grinder, you need to make sure that the disk rotates freely on the shaft and is not in contact with anything other than it. Otherwise, there is a risk of uncontrolled jerking.
- You should start cutting with the tool turned on when the disc rotates at working speed. You can not insert it into the cut zone, and only then turn it on.
- Until the rotation stops completely, the equipment must not be let out of hands, put on the floor.
- Switch to another workstation only after the working disk has completely stopped.
- When fixing the removable nozzle to the angle grinder, it is not necessary to tighten the clamping nut strongly.
- During the operation of the equipment, you need to take breaks according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Tool Health Check
It is necessary to check the operability and serviceability of equipment before starting work. Carefully inspect the following items:
- Protective cover. Sparks and particles of the material being cut should not fly into a working angle grinder of a person, so the casing must be correctly installed and firmly fixed.
- Cutting disc (cutting wheel, abrasive wheel, etc.). Cutting elements must not be defective. Nozzles on which chips, cracks, bumps, breaks and other defects are found cannot be used.
- Stable speed. When you turn on the angle grinder for 30-60 seconds with a maximum speed of rotation, no beating, strong vibration and unusual sounds should be observed.
Angle grinder is considered a traumatic tool that can cause injury to a person. This is due to such factors:
- High speed of rotation of the cutting tool (over 10000 rpm);
- The protective cover only partially covers the cutting disc;
- It is impossible to fix the equipment rigidly.
When cutting with an angle grinder, the main dangers are:
- In difficulty, and sometimes inability to hold the instrument in his hands;
- In discarding pieces of material and abrasive;
- In parts of a collapsed disk that fly apart at high speed (when it is bitten).
Protective equipment for man
Proper handling of the angle grinder requires safety precautions. It is necessary to use personal protective equipment:
- Protective gloves or mittens. The material must be strong and dense. Thick gauntlets made of genuine leather or tarpaulin are best suited.
- Glasses or a mask of a closed type, they should protect the eyes from all sides and fit snugly to the face. Some types of cutting may require a mask with a safety net that protects against flying particles and splinters.
- Overalls. Clothing should not be too loose so that it cannot be pulled by a rotary mechanism by an angle grinder.
- Footwear. Comfortable and made of durable material that can protect your feet from sparks, scale and accidental falling of objects.
- Respirator. Protects the respiratory system from the dust generated when working with brick, concrete or stone. You can use a casing with a pipe to connect an industrial vacuum cleaner.
Subject to all recommendations and rules, the likelihood of injury when working with an angle grinder is reduced.
How to use the angle grinder: safety precautions and expert advice
- Construction and repair
1 star 2 stars 3 stars 4 stars 5 stars We tell the intricacies of the work of an angle grinder on wood, metal and tile and give safety tips.
Angle grinders or colloquially saws, an angle grinder is a popular construction tool that has firmly entered our everyday life. However, this appliance requires proper handling and maintenance.
After all, if you do not follow the rules of operation, do not know how to work the angle grinder, it can be a very dangerous device.
We talk about the features of using angle grinders, safety precautions and other important subtleties.
All about working angle grinder
- Device features
- Safety regulations
- Tile cutting
- Metal cutting
Features Angle Grinder
Angle grinders (angle grinder) are used for a wide range of works on cutting metal, stone, concrete, whether it is construction or, conversely, the dismantling of structures. Also for them there are a number of nozzles with which you can carry out grinding and polishing.
Whatever type of activity you are involved in, you must remember that the device is potentially traumatic. A cutting blade rotating at high speed can cause serious injury.
Even small fragments of stone, sawdust and shavings flying away from the cutting site can be dangerous, especially in contact with eyes.
Therefore, when using angle grinders, it is necessary to strictly observe safety rules.
- Never use an angle grinder without a guard.
- The protective cover should be deployed so as to cover the person’s face from flying debris and shavings.
- It is forbidden to use defective cutting wheels, with chisels and large irregularities along the edge.
- Visually check the condition of the cutting disc before turning on the device. It can be damaged (broken) or damaged during storage. Sometimes for this it is enough to just drop the device unsuccessfully.
- Before starting cutting or grinding, check that the tool is idling for a dangerous runout due to disk defects.
- Never place saw blades from a circular saw or any other cutting tool that is not specifically designed for an angle grinder on an angle grinder. The spindle rotation speed of an angle grinder is several times higher than, say, a circular saw, and the part can simply fall apart.
- Take care of comfortable protective clothing. It is advisable to have clothing made of durable material that can withstand a hail of sparks (for example, a canvas jacket and protective gloves).
- Be sure to wear safety glasses or a face shield.
For grinding surfaces, different nozzles are used. Most often, a circle is used on which a round sheet of sandpaper is attached with Velcro. A petal disc with emery cloth fixed on it is also used.
It is more convenient, but on the other hand, the option with Velcro is reusable (with skillful handling), which is much more profitable with a large volume of production (a sheet of skin costs an order of magnitude cheaper than a petal head).
For grinding painted and rust-coated surfaces, brush and peeling discs are used, and for sharpening the cutting edges of tools, respectively, sharpening.
The angle grinder is excellent for rough processing of wooden surfaces. The round nozzle grinds the surface very quickly. Several times faster than a conventional grinding machine. This is due to the high spindle speed (10,000-12,000 rpm).
But the high speed of rotation has also disadvantages. First of all, this is a large amount of noise and dust during operation of the device. Therefore, take care of a good dust extraction. When working indoors, it is highly advisable to connect a construction vacuum cleaner to the UGM.
And if the conditions allow, it is better to grind wooden surfaces on the street.
Another disadvantage of an angle grinder is the inability to properly control the rotation speed (this function is in vibration grinders, but it is usually absent in grinders). Only an angle grinder with the option of adjusting the number of revolutions is suitable for polishing; you cannot put a variety of polishing discs on high-speed angle grinders.
In general, it’s much harder to do the fine work of an angle grinder at high speeds. Especially when processing a cross-section of wood fibers. It is easy to go too far and cauterize the wood (and at the same time ruin the emery cloth circle).
Do not press the tool strongly against the wood, do not hold it for a long time in one place, so that there are no scorching due to overheating. And try to hold the tool firmly when working. A rotating circle with a skin (or a petal disk) must be kept strictly parallel to the machined plane.
Skewing is fraught with damage to consumables and the work surface.
With large-scale activities, let the tool rest and cool. Especially if it is a household tool. Such models are not designed for continuous operation 24/7, usually for a maximum of 8-10 minutes of continuous operation.
Rules for cutting tiles and porcelain tiles
We asked a specialist how to cut a tile and porcelain tile angle grinder correctly. There are two options.
- The use of an abrasive wheel for stone (usually these wheels are marked accordingly), and silicon carbide grains, which have a less aggressive shape than electrocorundum, used for cutting ferrous metals, serve as an abrasive. The powder of this abrasive is mixed with a bakelite resin binder and a circle is formed from this mixture using one or more layers of a fiberglass mesh that performs a reinforcing role.
- Diamond wheels, where the cutting elements are grains of technical diamond, and the binder is cobalt.
Sergey Nemkov, director of marketing and advertising department, Interskol company:
If everything is clear with the first option and there are no special options, unless someone wants to take a grinding wheel (unlikely, but there will be no danger) and cut it, then diamond wheels are smooth (the so-called
Crown), segmented (there are cutouts on the wheel that accelerate the removal of cutting products from the cut zone) and “turbo” circles, where there are notches on the sides of the abrasive layer that also allow more efficient removal of products from the cut zone.
Any advantage must be paid, and all cuts or notches cause increased vibration of the circle in the cut, and vibration causes the appearance of chips. Therefore, for clean cutting of durable tiles or porcelain tiles, you need to take diamond wheels with a solid cutting edge. In this case, the number of chips will be minimal.
Of course, a dozen cuts will be more economical to perform with an abrasive stone circle. It is better to fix the angle grinder when cutting tiles in a rack. Holding it with your hand to prevent vibration is much more difficult.
When cutting metal, do not try to press hard on the tool, the angle grinder cuts metal quite effectively under the influence of its own weight.
For cutting metal, you can use universal cutting wheels for metal or specialized, for example, for cutting stainless steel or non-ferrous metals.
Of course, it makes sense to acquire such consumables only with any significant volume of production. Stripping of welds and similar manipulations are performed by special peeling discs.
As part of the tips for cutting metal, one also cannot help but mention how to correctly cut thick pipes with an angle grinder. The thickness of the processed metal should not exceed 25-30 mm for a tool with a disk with a diameter of 115 mm. A specialist tells how to properly hold an angle grinder when cutting metal.
We also offer to watch a on how to use the angle grinder.