DIY wheels from Lada to Tiller
First you need to figure out what types of wheels for a tiller generally exist. Since the technique is used in a variety of farming processes, the equipment may vary. This also applies to pneumatic wheels, because a good result and ease of use also depend on the right components. It is important to note that ordinary car wheels from “Oka”, “Niva” or “Moskvich” cannot be put on the tiller. All of the options below are larger and heavier. It would be more correct to compare them with ATV kits, although they are not always of the right size.
- Pneumatic. This option can be supplied for arable work and for removing roots from the soil. In appearance, these are large wheels, with a diameter of 40 cm and a width of 20 cm. The pattern on the tread must be rough in order for the tiller to work well on the soil. Often this option comes standard and is renowned for its durability. However, if they become unusable, then you should immediately look for a replacement.
- Traction. The popular name for these wheels is a herringbone. All because of the pronounced pattern on their rubber. This look is also versatile and suitable for lug or standard transport solutions. For example, they are often used by snow blowers. Traction tires for the tiller are also reliable in everyday life.
- Solid (most often made of rubber). One-piece assemblies are ideal for stony ground. They allow the tiller to move faster on such terrain and do not deteriorate after the first use. Of the minuses, they are really very heavy, so it’s not so easy to transfer them. Similar tires are suitable for MTZ series trailers and diesel vehicles.
- Metallic. The last variation is suitable for clay soil. The thing is that, unlike the previous wheels, these have steel teeth. This, of course, makes the technique heavier, but in soft ground they do their job perfectly. In another way, metal teeth are also called lugs.
As for general recommendations, when choosing what to wear your tiller, pay attention to the front wheel. It is supporting and in the process of use absorbs the entire mechanism. This helps to extend the life and improve the quality of work.
In general, this classification of pneumatic wheels is used not only for the tiller, but also for trailers or other tools from the same category. So you can safely use it, because to maintain the durability of all equipment, the farmer’s assortment should include both a trailer and a tiller.
Making wheels for the tiller with our own hands
tiller is a technique that most farmers are familiar with. In fact, it is a mobile tractor that is used for plowing soil, planting plants or transporting goods. It is convenient in small suburban areas, where it is already difficult to do everything with your hands, but a large tractor is not needed. If you are reading this article, then you either already have a tiller, or you are going to purchase one.
One of the most frequent questions of the owners of this technique is how to make wheels for a tiller with your own hands? The thing is that, as standard, they wear out very quickly, and are also not suitable for all types of soils and reliefs. Buying new ones is quite costly, so you can resort to your own skill. This article will look at exactly how to do this.
How to make wheels with your own hands
Having dealt with the types of tires, you should learn how to make the same, but homemade. The first thing to consider is that you won’t be able to make wheels for a tiller from scratch anyway. You will need a base. old pneumatic wheels from a car, for example, from “Oka” or from “Niva”. In this matter, it all depends on your choice or the availability of suitable material. And by the way, farmers do not recommend buying a new set of tires for rework, as they are not cheap and as a result, you will not be able to save a decent amount by doing the rest of the work yourself.
The second thing, without which nothing will come of it, is to prepare the drawings before starting the process. This issue must be approached responsibly, and the drawings must meet the requirements based on the available materials.
Paired wheels are often made, where an additional weighting agent can be placed inside. Let’s start with this option. The tandem version is a quick and efficient wheel conversion that is available to many. You will need 4 wheels with a good base made of stainless steel (by the way, the masters have tires from Moskvich). You also need to have iron plates with you. The process itself is carried out in several steps.
- The rubber tire is removed from the base.
- To the rim on which the tire is put on, it is necessary to weld several plates of iron, up to 5 cm wide.Usually, a square is formed from the plates, which is welded to one of the sides of the rim.
- Next, the rim from the second wheel is welded to this square. Thus, you connect the two rims to each other using plates and welding.
- At the last stage, the rubber is put on again on the rims.
That’s it, you’ve got the kit you need. As you can see, their main advantage is their large width. Thanks to this, they look less like wheels from a car, and more like an option for a tiller.
The second option, how to strengthen pneumatic wheels, is to increase their wear resistance due to additional materials. In this way, you can remake the wheels of a transport vehicle such as a motorcycle or ATV. In general, you will need larger tires than a regular passenger car. And to increase rigidity, large chains may be suitable.
Let’s move on to the process itself: chains need to be welded to pneumatic wheels. You can try pairing them with rubber or an iron rim. Next, you need to make notches on them so that they imitate the lugs. The result should be similar to purchased metal wheels.
You will have to tinker with this method so that the chains are tightly held and do not fly off during work. This is where blocking chains with a rim comes in handy, which can be done with steel fasteners and hooks.
An additional element that is often lacking for the convenience of working with a tiller is an unblocker, sometimes called a differential. Since the instrument itself is heavy, it is often difficult to control it, namely, to turn in different directions. In this case, an unblocker comes to the rescue. a special device that is attached to the wheels and increases their maneuverability in difficult areas.
The release tool is bolted to the output shafts of your tiller. During operation, it reduces the turning radius of the entire machine and increases the track width. If you use a mini tractor on a regular basis, then this thing is simply irreplaceable. You can make an unblocker yourself based on bearings, but in fact, the game is not worth the trouble. On the market they can be found in a wide variety of variations, and unlockers are inexpensive. The most important thing is to find a specialist who will advise on a good product.
So, if you have a need for a new “shoe” for a tiller and you can use tires from a regular car or motorcycle, then why not give it a try. This article lists the simplest and most popular options, but it all depends on your experience and skills. In fact, the solution is very simple, you only need welding and a little skill. But for a good result, consult with experienced craftsmen before starting work.
To learn how to make wheels on a tiller with your own hands, see the next video.
Do-it-yourself front adapter for the tiller
Algorithm of actions
To start assembling additional equipment for a motor-cultivator, you will need a drawing, in accordance with which the fastening elements and the construction of fragments will be made. If you have special skills and experience, a homemade adapter for the tiller and the drawing can be done independently. If you are afraid to make a mistake, you should take ready-made drawings. Before designing, it is recommended to check and verify the compliance of dimensions and numbers.
The main task of the technique with the front adapter is to speed up and facilitate the processing of the garden.
If you attach additional devices to the device, you can expand the range of applications:
- remove hay;
- to cultivate the land. to plant and collect;
- clear the area from snow;
- level the soil surface;
- transfer small-sized cargo.
Types of front adapters for the tiller
Converted technical devices are of the following types:
- With telescopic drawbar type. This detail adjusts the width of the tiller adapter.
- With drawbars of various lengths. The short clamp is designed for light weight devices, the long one is suitable for heavy mechanisms.
- The purpose of the equipment is the transportation of goods. Models have a special body that can withstand increased stress.
- With lifting link mechanism. Equipment that has suspended equipment is easy to operate and move.
Advantages and disadvantages
After the tiller has been modernized, the designers note the positive qualities of the front adapter:
- ease of use;
- disclosure of the traction resource. the existing abilities increase;
- the possibilities of work are expanding. tillage will be accelerated;
- if necessary, the unit is disassembled and assembled;
- good balance in weight and axes;
- you can move around on the device.
The disadvantages include the fact that in the presence of a movable hitch there is a deterioration in stability.
The tiller adapter consists of the following structural elements:
Steering type adapter
How to make a steering adapter for a tiller? The type of structure in which the steering wheel is provided must be rigidly fixed. The steering gear is performed as a separate independent unit. A pair of wheels and an axle that serves as a steering gear is installed at the front and rear. Fixation sites are selected based on individual characteristics. The location of the steering gear depends on the type of spare part. When assembling, it is recommended to perform just such an improved model.
A motorized cultivator with steering has many positive qualities:
- the operator will not waste energy when moving behind the unit;
- the equipment has maneuverability and increased functionality;
- traction force is realized at 100%;
- on the tiller you can get to the workplace, without the use of additional equipment;
- ease of management compared to other options.
Tools and consumables:
- metal corners, square profile;
- bearings for the steering wheel and column;
- metal sheets;
- a pair of wheels, preferably on an axle;
- drills, electrodes, discs for an angle grinder;
- wrenches of various sizes;
- welding electric apparatus;
- lubricants. grease;
- Angle Grinder;
At the preparatory stage, a selection of a kinematic scheme should be made, in which the balance indicators of the entire structure are provided. Overload warning should also be provided. It is recommended to use ready-made drawings of the adapter with the steering wheel to the tiller.
Features of the
Tillers can be equipped with either rubber tires with a tread, or metal wheels, supplemented with lugs. The first option is better for a dirt road, and the second is better for working in the field. Not every kit, even the same size, is really useful for use in harsh conditions. Wide wheels should be installed if you have to plow the land or you need to dig out potatoes. It is imperative to observe the distance between the rows. it ranges from 60 to 80 cm, as when using the standard kit.
How to do it right?
Installation of Zhiguli wheels on a tiller is quite possible even for non-professionals. The holes on the two structures to be aligned do not match. It is imperative to take this nuance into account when performing work. In any case, slopes of the same size should be used. It is desirable that their mass also coincide.
If different tires are fitted, the severity of the skates can vary quite significantly. As a result, it becomes difficult to control the tiller, as they say, “leads” in some direction. Keeping the steering wheel in this case becomes very difficult. To solve the problem, there is only one option: go back to the alteration and still make completely the same slopes. But it is quite possible to adapt old, “battered” and even outwardly rusty disks. after all, the tiller is used for purely utilitarian purposes.
The advantages of changing wheels are:
- increasing the service life of the device;
- increasing its cross-country ability;
- elimination of deformations during operation;
- more comfortable use of tillers.
It is best to wait until winter with the replacement. Then there comes a pause in the field work and you can do this business much more thoughtfully, calmly. It is recommended to improve the tillery in stages. First, the mass is increased, additional lighting devices are installed. and only then the turn of the wheels comes. Some masters recommend using only Zhiguli discs, and choosing rubber itself of lighter brands of the same size. In most cases, all-season rubber is enough. Winter and summer options are unreasonably expensive, require regular replacement when the season changes, but there is still no particular practical difference.
For your information! It is better to prefer a wheel assembly with pipes “native” for the tiller. Then there will be fewer problems with fitting onto the shaft. If the length of the guides is initially insufficient, they can be lengthened.
In this case, it is necessary to expose all parts as carefully as possible, otherwise, when driving, there will be a beating on the slope. Experts recommend connecting the parts of the tiller using the same technology as it is assembled in factories.
You can install Zhiguli wheels on the Neva tiller. The work is reduced in most cases to drilling 4 holes and tightening bolts in them. As practice shows, after changing the wheels, the tillers noticeably accelerate. This property is valuable when transporting various goods. The increase in speed is noticeable both on asphalt and on the ground. Sometimes you even have to shift the tiller to lower gears.
Zhiguli wheels on the tiller: selection, installation and possible malfunctions
- Features of the
- How to do it right?
- Why change?
Tillery is a very important and useful device in the personal household. But sometimes their branded equipment does not satisfy farmers and gardeners. Then the question of replacement naturally arises. The topic of this article is how to install Zhiguli wheels on a tiller.
There are various types of Zhiguli wheels on the Russian market. You can safely choose any product. even sets that have survived from the 1980s. When installing wheels on the Oka tiller, it is recommended to use unblockers. They will simplify turning in the garden even more than using lugs. To make unblockers, it is advisable to use parts from “Zhiguli”.
Masters recommend performing welding work as carefully as possible. If done incorrectly, the structure will quickly fall apart. If you need to mount wheels on the Patriot Pobeda tiller, you should take into account its characteristic feature. The hubs are made so that they fit on the axle with a randomly selected end. This allows the wheels to be installed very close to the gearbox.
If, after installing Zhiguli supports, reduce the gas to a minimum, you can safely ride even on empty tires.
The narrowing of the track helps to improve the controllability of the mechanism. As practice shows, there is no need to change the motors. even the standard tiller motors effectively cope with the work after installing large wheels. Experienced users, however, warn against pushing the clutch too hard. Modification of the wheels themselves (with a suitable diameter) is not necessary.
How to install Zhiguli wheels on a tiller, see the video below.
How To Make Bicycle Weeder | Wheel Hoes Cultivator Tool | Y24Tech
Metal with grousers
Such wheels have a certain weight, therefore, they are distinguished by additional power. The steel teeth “push” the machine forward and prevent it from loading even in the most clay soil.
Particular attention must be paid to the supporting front wheel, which carries a considerable load. It contributes to the optimization of land work and increased endurance of the tiller itself.
Trailer wheels have a similar classification and are selected according to the same principles. Do not forget that in the process of transporting heavy loads, low pressure is exerted on the wheels of the tiller itself, and high pressure is applied to the wheels of the cart (trailer). Therefore, in this case, you need to choose the most durable options.
For rocky ground, due to which many types of wheels deteriorate very quickly, solid products are ideal. Let them weigh a little more than the above wheels, but they do not drift.
These products have the most powerful tires for the tiller, therefore, they are bought for diesel types transformed into mini-tractors. For MTZ tillers, solid ones are considered ideal options.
These options are perfect for frequent plowing and digging up root crops. An important point: in no case should the width of the wheels be less than 20 cm, and the diameter. 40 cm.Aggressive tread pattern will be a huge plus.
The pneumatic components contribute to the incredible stability of the unit, but if damaged they must be replaced. They are often sold as wheels for Neva tilers.
These products have another name: “herringbone”, and all thanks to their versatility and interesting tires. The increased grip width allows them to perform the task of both lugs and classic transport wheels.
What’s more, the traction options are suitable for trolley and snow blower, and also help to cope with off-road conditions. Durable premium rubber for durability and long service life.
How to make wheels for a tiller with your own hands?
You need to understand that it is impossible to make wheels from scratch with your own hands. It is necessary to find the basis and only after that you can begin to form improved and useful devices.
As this very base, you should use wheels from a motorcycle or from a car. You can only create a self-made version with a lug, because if wheel weights are not used so often, there is no point in purchasing new expensive products. On our website you can find a specialized article, where all the features of creating lugs with your own hands are considered in detail.
To expand the wheelbase, it is recommended to use extension cords for tiller wheels, because it is necessary to correctly adapt the device to the individual needs of the farmer. over, to expand the possibilities, you can create twin iron wheels that have a cavity inside to accommodate any weighting agent.
Yes, these objects can hardly be used for a trailer for a tiller, but they will be very useful for the unit itself, because they can be created if a person does not have wheels from a motorcycle, but are available from a UAZ or Moskvich. The advantages of twin wheels:
- reduced towing, and, as a result, increased productivity levels;
- the ability to quickly remove the wheels of the outer plan;
- ease of creation at home;
- maximum contact with the surface.
Twin wheels are gradually becoming more and more popular, because you can spend a little time on their independent creation.
Wheels for a tiller: an overview of the types, how to do it yourself
In most cases, before buying a tiller, people pay special attention to the practical characteristics of the device, without being interested in the quality and features of the wheels. Such an approach can hardly be called literate, because the quality and duration of the equipment itself depends on the specified details.
Since the specified unit is a multifunctional device, different wheels are offered for the tiller:
- traction wheels;
- solid rubber options;
- metal wheels with grousers.
To clearly understand the specifics of each type, you should consider their features in more detail.
How to make twin wheels yourself?
Of particular interest among farmers was a simple and even a little rude, but effective method:
- First you need to find suitable wheels with tires;
- Then it is advisable to cut small protectors on them;
- The next step is that people buy a 5x50mm steel strip, weld 250mm squares and insert them into the rim;
- After welding, the second wheel rim is set up and objects that look like vases are obtained;
- Upon completion, the tires are put on the rims obtained and the paired wheels are ready for use.
It is not difficult to get such useful devices, the main thing is to decide which options are needed and select all the necessary “ingredients”.
A one-wheeled motor cultivator is considered one of the simplest options for independent execution. One device can be both pneumatic traction and lug. This technique is used for simple agricultural work, for example, for hilling or digging potatoes. One device is installed on the tiller, which is also a reference.
During operation, significant pressure is applied to the support zone, which requires its large size. If the element on a one-wheel tiller has a small diameter, flotation problems may occur, even in good soil conditions.
Manufacturing of wheels with grousers
Parts with grousers are installed on tiller models with a capacity of 6 hp or more. from. This indicator will not allow the engine to overheat under heavy loads.
You need to acquire the following elements:
- steel squares;
- car wheels without rubber;
- corners made of steel;
Prepared plates are welded to the wheels, which are securely fixed on the rim. The angle is cut into pieces according to the type of teeth, they are also welded to the rim. A minimum distance of 15 cm is required from the plates to the teeth.After that, rubber tires are installed on the rim, the manufactured wheels are attached to the tiller’s axle.
Using the above tips, you can independently make wheels for Neva, Agro, Mole and other well-known brands.
Auto mechanic specializing in agricultural machinery
Tiller wheels have different options. For self-creation, before making the wheels on the tiller, you will need to calculate all the required dimensions, since the technique of different classes has its own technical features. Self-made wheels for a tiller with your own hands can be either solid metal or iron, or pneumatic, including those removed from a Zhiguli. It all depends on the purpose of the technique and its use.
Types of wheels for tilers
Tiller is a multifunctional agricultural equipment. All parts and systems must be in good working order for high performance. Otherwise, the technique will not cope with the assigned tasks. Equipped wheels play a special role in this regard.
Depending on the design characteristics, the wheels on the tiller are divided into the following types:
- solid rubber;
- metal type with grousers;
Pneumatic wheels for tiller
Pneumatic wheels are used in various models of equipment. This is possible due to the high permeability on any type of soil. Among the features of pneumatic tires are:
- herringbone protector;
- sufficient width;
- standard dimensions are 20 cm in width and 40 cm in diameter;
- large size facilitates use in large areas.
Important! Pneumatic options can be different, but if available, it is better to use those with a more aggressive tread pattern.
When choosing dimensions, it is also necessary to pay attention to the technical characteristics of the tiller itself. Each type of model has its own characteristics that need to be taken into account.
The independent creation of equipment for technology depends on numerous factors, including the availability of parts and the required tools. If necessary, you can use old discs from cars or motorcycles. The main prerequisite is a suitable size for the tiller class. The whole process is carried out in accordance with a sequential procedure, that is, first there is the preparation of materials, then. drawing up a drawing, if necessary, and measuring. Only after that it is necessary to start independent work.
Making paired wheels with your own hands
When using equipment in conditions of increased complexity, you need to acquire twin wheels. Double elements are made according to the following scheme:
- Protectors are cut on suitable wheels;
- Squares of 2525 cm are welded from steel pieces, which are installed in the central part of the rim;
- After welding, a second rim is installed. You should get a product that resembles a vase;
- Tires are mounted on joint rims.
For the manufacture of paired parts, you will need rims of the same size.
Wheel extensions for tiller
Axle extensions for tillers allow you to extend the wheelbase. With the help of such a part, the unit becomes more stable regardless of the track width.
Extension cords may be needed to accomplish the following tasks:
- performing heavy types of work and work on difficult soils;
- using machinery on uneven areas;
- preventing the tiller from dropping and towing when using complex attachments;
- the best cross-country ability and maneuverability of equipment is provided;
- installation of iron and pneumatic wheels, lugs.
This part is selected for a specific tiller. Among the important characteristics of extension cords:
- length of parts within 200-375 mm;
- the inner diameter of the bore. it is important that it matches the characteristics of the unit;
- the outer diameter of the bore. is responsible for the reliability of the attachment.
These wheels have two parts, they have the same dimensions and shapes. Due to their design, they provide excellent permeability of the tiller on uneven surfaces, significantly increase its speed on a flat road.
With such wheels, towing is practically excluded. Therefore, they are often mounted during winter.
Tiller wheels are solid rubber with an aggressive tread pattern. This feature allows them to be installed also on mini-tractors.
Due to their rather large size, these wheels are most often used in difficult-to-pass territories, in wooded and mountainous terrain.
When buying a tiller for a summer residence or farming, users pay attention to the power of the motor, which directly affects the performance and functionality of the equipment. But this approach to the acquisition of the unit is not entirely correct. Indeed, in the process of intensive use at increased loads, the equipment sooner or later fails. In such a situation, to restore its functionality, it will be necessary not only to purchase spare parts for the MTZ tiller, but, as practice shows, to install new wheels. The latter belong to the undercarriage and ensure the movement of equipment around the personal plot. Therefore, when choosing a tiller, it is important to pay attention to the type and size of the wheels. If the chassis is equipped with elements of poor quality, the probability of their breakdown increases due to increased loads. As a result, the farmer runs the risk of not delivering the cargo to the destination or disrupting deadlines when preparing the field for the sowing campaign.
Chassis modernization is carried out when:
DIY wheel made using 100 nails
- the wheelbase wears out and goes out of working condition;
- it is necessary to increase the throughput of the tiller;
- you need to improve the maneuverability of the unit.
The installation of new wheels is carried out according to the following algorithm. At the first stage, the bolts are unscrewed and the worn out elements (with a disc) are removed. But before putting new wheels on the tiller, it is important to pay attention to the arrow marked on the sidewall of the tire. It determines the direction of rotation of the wheel.
The main criteria for the selection of quick-detachable elements of the undercarriage
So which wheels are best for a tiller? The selection criteria for quick-detachable elements are as follows:
- type (pneumatic. for working on normal soil, cast. for processing virgin lands, metal with lugs. to improve cross-country ability on clay or too wet areas);
- diameter. The size of the universal chamber-type models that can be installed on all brands of Tillers is 4-10 inches. With heavy equipment, chamber wheels with metal rims with a radius of 6-12 inches are used. Additionally, they are equipped with extensions and fasteners. Such elements of the chassis allow not only to handle large areas, but also to transport goods. It is not worth equipping heavy units with low-pressure tires. The choice of the size of the wheels should be based on the purposes of operating the equipment. For example, wide models (with a diameter of at least 40 cm and a width of 20 cm) are well suited for plowing the soil, digging out potatoes. To treat the sown crop from weeds, choose a narrower wheelbase so as not to damage the plants when driving;
- the presence of extension cords. Such elements are included in the set of the wheelset used to equip equipment operating in difficult areas. Extension cords are presented in a wide range of sizes. from 20 to 37.5 cm.The main task of this device is to increase the maneuverability of the unit.
Important! When choosing a wheelbase for a tiller, it is important to pay attention to its markings. The latter includes data (applied in the form of an alphanumeric code, decrypted using a special table) on the type of tire design, the indicator of the possible carrying capacity and the index of the maximum permissible speed.
When deciding how to choose wheels for a tiller, it is important first of all to find out what types of wheels exist. According to the classification, there are three types:
- pneumatic. In their design, a rubber tire and a camera are distinguished;
- metal with lugs. The peculiarity of such a wheelbase is increased cross-country ability;
- rubber. It is a one-piece construction made up of a rim and rubber.
Which option should you give preference to? The choice should be made based on the operating conditions of the tiller. For example, plowing too wet soil or a clayey area will be quite difficult if you do not use equipment equipped with metal wheels with lugs. Their teeth go deep into the ground, which creates extra force to keep the tiller moving in the right direction.
If the unit is used for harvesting or planting, for example, potatoes, in an area with normal soil, you can give preference to the pneumatic wheel model. If the soil is characterized by the presence of a large percentage of stones, then equipment equipped with a cast wheelbase is ideal for plowing the field. Such undercarriage elements demonstrate good resistance to mechanical damage. The main disadvantage of cast wheels is a lot of weight. Therefore, the latter, as a rule, equip medium and heavy equipment.
Advice! In order to increase the efficiency of equipment in different weather conditions, it is recommended to purchase two types of wheels, for example, a pneumatic and a metal version with lugs. These are quick-change elements of the undercarriage, so there will be no problems with their installation.
How to assemble wheels on a tiller at home
It is impossible to create pneumatic or cast models independently (without the use of special equipment). And in principle, it makes no sense to do this, because car wheels can be used to equip the chassis. Zhiguli disks or tires from Niva are easily installed on the tiller.
At home, lugs are most often collected. Factory models are not cheap, so it is unprofitable to purchase them for processing small areas. The way out of the situation is to make it yourself. All it takes is a rim from old auto rims, metal plates, bolts and patience. The lug assembly algorithm is as follows:
- Old auto discs of the required diameter are selected based on the power of the tiller, since the weight of the finished structure will be impressive (it is completely made of metal).
- Plates are welded along the entire outer radius of the rim. In order to increase the strength of the structure, they can be additionally fixed with bolts.
- Teeth are welded to metal plates. They are made from a steel angle, which is pre-cut into blanks of the required length. There must be a distance between the teeth. at least 15-20 cm.
- The axle shafts are welded into the disk, the design is complemented by bearings and mounted on the chassis of the tiller.
The teeth provide reliable traction of the wheels on clay soil when working in all weather conditions. To reduce slippage, simplify equipment control in difficult operating conditions by increasing the missing mass of the unit, weights are attached to the outer side of the lugs (from the inner side of the wheels or to the tiller bracket) using hub bolts. By using this attachment, the weight is increased by 20%.