How much oil to fill in gasoline for a lawn mower
Gasoline for a lawn mower: which one to choose and not to lose?
New to buy an internal combustion lawnmower? Not sure which fuel to pick? In this article, we will consider the brands of gasoline sold on the Russian market. You will learn which choice to make, whether it is possible to save on octane, how to extend the life of the tool.
Choosing the right fuel
Most lawn mowers run on gasoline. There are diesel ones, but we will not talk about them within the framework of the article. Petroleum products of the following brands are sold at the filling station:
The N-80 brand has been discontinued and is rare. The octane number (the number after the letters) indicates the resistance of the fuel to knock. The higher the value, the greater the resistance to self-ignition during compression. Gasoline AI-92 is more prone to detonation than AI-95. In the manufacture of motors for lawn mowers, the manufacturer takes into account the resources of the parts and the maximum permissible knock. The instructions for the tool indicate which gasoline you need to use.
Compliance with the recommendations will increase the service life of the mower. If you fill in gasoline with a lower octane number than indicated in the passport, the piston group will quickly fail. Using a higher fuel value is also detrimental to the engine. In Russia, there is no way to increase the octane number by improving the oil distillation process. Therefore, refineries add chemical additives to the fuel. The resistance to detonation increases, along with it, the duration of combustion increases. The result is carbon deposits on candles, rings, cylinders.
The choice of gasoline depending on the type of engine
When buying, check with the seller which motor the tool is equipped with. Petroleum product requirements for two-stroke and four-stroke engines are different.
The four-stroke lawnmower does not require pretreatment of fuel. The design provides two tanks for gasoline and oil. Use the manufacturer’s recommended petroleum product to extend the life of the tool.
Fill two-stroke engines with a mixture of engine oil. The proportion of the composition is indicated on the fuel cap. To understand how much oil you need to add, see the table.
Calculation example using a synthetic product:
- tank volume. 1 l;
- the amount (1000 ml) divided by 50 (see the proportion in the table);
- total value. 20.
This means that 20 ml of synthetic oil is needed per liter. If it is not possible to measure the required volume, prepare a larger amount of the mixture. For example, half a faceted glass of synthetic oil is enough for a 5 liter canister. The surplus can be stored in a canister all season long, the quality will not deteriorate.
Oil selection and fuel mixture for lawn mowers
So, have you finally become the owner of a petrol lawn mower or lawn mower? And your imagination is already creating images of how you courageously cope with the dense grass. However, the dream of a “perfect lawn” remains a dream, when the question involuntarily arises: what oil to use and what are the proportions of mixing it with gasoline?
You can find a lot of information on the correct preparation of the fuel mixture on the Internet. This topic is actively discussed on forums and other thematic resources. But, despite such an active discussion, there are many inconsistencies that have to be dealt with.
It doesn’t really matter what technique is used, it could be a lawn mower. lawn mower or chain saw. they are united by one. two-stroke gasoline engine. Unlike the 4T, it does not have an oil sump. To feed it, it is required to prepare a special fuel mixture consisting of gasoline and oil. The resulting liquid is fed directly to the engine (carburetor). During use, all actively working parts are thoroughly lubricated, contributing to trouble-free operation under all operating conditions.
Lawn Mower Engine Oil
Depending on the chemical composition, lubricants are divided into the following main groups:
Mineral. They are made on the basis of oils obtained from petroleum distillates. They are characterized by high viscosity and require frequent replacement. The material is intended for low-power appliances with an air-cooled system. Recommended for warm weather.
Semi-synthetic. They represent a kind of “golden mean”. They are based on a mixture of mineral and synthetic oils. A similar lubricant can be used in 2T and 4T engines, gardening and other equipment with air and liquid cooling.
Synthetic. They are made on the basis of special synthetic components containing esters. They are characterized by low viscosity and long service life. They can be used all year round, regardless of temperature conditions. Ideal for challenging heavy duty equipment with constant variable performance.
Any two-stroke oil, due to its 20% solvent composition, mixes well with fuel and has the feature of complete combustion. Their second characteristic feature is the color, which can be green, red or blue. Of course, this does not mean that some lubricant is better, but some worse. This is done solely so that it is convenient for the user to distinguish oil from pure gasoline.
Classification of engine oils:
The required parameters of oils for 2T engines are prescribed in the requirements of API TC JASO FC, API TC JASO FC ISO GD and API TC JASO FC E-GC. The most widely used classification systems are API. Based on this, 2T engine oils are divided into 4 large groups:
TA. suitable for household appliances with an air cooling system and an engine volume of no more than 50 cm3.
TB. used for more powerful equipment with an air cooling system and a motor volume of 50.200 cm3.
TC. used in technology with high demands for oil quality. It is a high quality lubricant for 50.200 cc two-stroke engines. Great for lawn mowers, lawn mowers, trimmers, chain saws and other garden equipment.
TD. for outboard boat motors with liquid cooling.
How much oil does it take to fill a lawnmower and how to change
Most suitable material for 2T motors of API-TB and API-TC class. However, it is necessary to refer directly to the product passport, where the manufacturer indicates the brand of engine oil recommended for its equipment.
Important! For lawn mowers, lawn mowers and other 2T gardening devices, a special engine oil is provided for two-stroke engines with an air cooling system and marked “for gardening equipment”. Do not use lubricant for 2T engines with liquid cooling system. Also not recommended oil for outboard engines, motorcycles and other equipment.
Oil to gasoline ratio for lawn mowers: why accuracy is so important?
All of us in childhood loved to “chew”, so the process of preparing a fuel mixture is not only simple, but also interesting. First of all, it is worth considering the fact that the proportions of the mixture may be different. This depends on engine configuration, oil markings and manufacturer recommendations. The fact is that with an insufficient amount of lubrication, the cylinder and piston heat up, which leads to shallow scuffing of all rubbing surfaces and, consequently, to the failure of the cylinder. piston group. Well, in the case of its excess, on the contrary, we get coking of the piston ring and the formation of a large amount of carbon deposits.
And even despite the fact that there is a generally accepted mixing ratio of 2% (for every liter of gasoline, 20 ml of lubricant). The proportions in the mixture are still recommended to be kept exactly.
How much to pour oil into gasoline for lawn mowers?
Everything is quite simple, subject to the correct balance, the engine runs at full capacity, all parts are thoroughly lubricated and do not wear out. As a result, we get a confidently working technique that will last more than one season.
To know how much oil to add to your lawn mower, you need to familiarize yourself with the performance of the product. Proportional ratios can be presented as follows: 1:25, 1:40 and 1:50, which means 1 part of oil for 25, 40 or 50 parts of gasoline.
1 liter of gasoline = 1000 ml
To determine the required amount of oil for a ratio of 1:25, you need 1000/25 and we will get a ratio of 40 ml.
We carry out the same actions for the ratio 1:40 and 1:50:
1:40 (for 1 liter of gasoline 25 ml of oil)
1:50 (for 1 liter of gasoline 20 ml of oil)
To ensure the correct proportion of lawn mower oil, it is recommended to use a special measuring container (not plastic). Eliminate the possibility of dirt and water getting into the fuel mixture. this may affect its quality. It is better to start preparing the mixture with gasoline. Pour it up to the required mark, then add oil. A couple of tilts of the container are enough for mixing. The liquid quickly combines and acquires a uniform hue, which, depending on the structure of the oil, can be red, green, blue or other. After that, a properly prepared mixture is poured into the equipment fuel tank.
Before using the equipment, make sure that the tank cap is tightly closed. If you have more fuel, then the remainder can be stored in a special canister or mixing container (no more than 14 days). It is recommended to drain the unused fuel.
Important! Be sure to follow the safety instructions. Mix fluids outdoors to prevent corrosive gasoline fumes from accumulating indoors. Wear gloves and long sleeves. Do not smoke or set anything on fire.
RON 92 gasoline is considered the most popular type of fuel for two-stroke engines. Due to its relatively low cost, it is extremely rarely falsified. Therefore, not one hundred percent, but you can be sure of its quality. It is also permissible to use AI-95 fuel.
As for the storage of fuel, its period should not exceed 3 months. Over time, gasoline loses its properties, the resin becomes higher and a polymerization process occurs, which adversely affects the combustion chamber. The fuel mixture for lawn mowers prepared from low-quality materials settles in the form of carbon deposits, as a result of which the main components and systems of the engine suffer.
Recommendations for use and storage
The fuel is ready, poured into the fuel tank, the first spurt and the long-awaited start. However, if you want the equipment to work as long as possible, it is recommended to run it in for the first time. To avoid overheating of the engine, it is recommended to adhere to the average load. After the main elements of the system have been thoroughly lubricated, the load can be increased.
Certain rules should also be followed when preparing the braid for off-season storage:
Drain the remaining fuel from the fuel tank and carry out the final run until the fuel is completely depleted. Then, pause the work and make sure that the engine is completely cool.
Unscrew the spark plug carefully and add about 5 ml of lubricant. Pull the starter handle slowly to distribute the oil evenly inside the engine. Then, return the candle to its original state. Store equipment in a cool dry place.
When choosing an oil, great attention should be paid to its manufacturer. It is better to choose the brand recommended by the lawn mower manufacturer. In the instructions for the technique, you can find information about the filled oil, the frequency of its replacement and recommendations regarding the choice of working fluid.
Also, many lawn mower manufacturers release their own oils, which will have to be used for replacement if you want to maintain the warranty on the equipment. In addition, the instructions provide general characteristics that the oil must meet. When choosing a replacement fluid, you need to focus on this list. This will allow you to choose the oil that will most closely meet the manufacturer’s requirements.
Many self-respecting manufacturers of lubricating fluids offer their consumers a separate line of products that are designed to service garden equipment. If it is possible to choose such a special oil, then you need to buy it.
- Shell Helix Ultra is the best among all companies that present their products on the Russian market. These oils are popular in all countries. Shell specialists have been working for 40 years to create a unique technology for producing synthetic oil from natural gas. The resulting product is characterized by an improved composition, which has no analogues at this time. The manufacturer adds the necessary additives to the base composition, which makes it possible to obtain products with different characteristics. Such oil must be bought only at specialized points of sale, since low-grade counterfeits are often found.
- Also, high-quality products are represented by Liqui Moly. The manufacturer produces several product lines that have different purposes. This assortment includes products for the maintenance of garden equipment. Such oils are designed for long-term operation of trimmers and lawn mowers, their technical characteristics are developed in accordance with the features of modern technology and the recommendations of manufacturers.
Liqui Moly adds additive packages to lawn mower oils that are necessary to reduce equipment wear and keep the engine clean. The main advantage of such fluids is environmental friendliness, because they are created on a plant basis. Liqui Moly lawn mower oils meet all environmental standards.
Rasenmaher produces a good mineral type lubricant specially developed for gardening machines. This tool can be used to service 4-stroke engines with different cooling systems. The substance from Rasenmaher can only be used at freezing temperatures. The manufacturer has carefully developed and selected additives for its product. The result of such actions was a wide list of functionality:
- maintaining the pressure in the system at a stable level;
- effective lubrication of all parts that need it;
- preservation of the viscosity of the grease throughout the entire service life, until the next change;
- providing excellent protection for the motor from normal wear and tear;
- minimum evaporation rate.
Lawn mower lubricant should be carefully selected and high quality oils should be preferred. If you save on this consumable liquid, then it will not perform its functions to the full, the lawn mower will fail in a short time and will require expensive repairs. The oil used in a lawn mower has an important task. It has the following functions:
- lubrication of parts that experience high friction during operation;
- removal of heat energy from heated parts;
- reduced engine wear;
- minimizing the development of such negative phenomena as deposits of various types, the formation of soot and varnish;
- protection of parts from the formation and effects of corrosion;
- decrease in the toxicity index of exhaust gaseous substances;
- minimizing the amount of smoke.
The engine of a lawn mower is significantly different from that which is installed in cars and motor vehicles. Therefore, different lubricants should be used for these units. You cannot replace one oil with another. The consequences for technology can be the most unpredictable.
The engines used for lawn mowers do not have an oil pump. This circumstance creates high requirements for the oil, especially for the indicators of its viscosity.
In a lawn mower engine, the crankshaft is responsible for distributing the oil. The liquid is scooped out of the crankcase by parts that resemble spoons in shape. The speed of their movement is colossal. Such design features of the motor require the use of oil, which contains high quality additives. These components reduce the ability of the working fluid to foam and become more viscous from high temperatures.
In low-cost, low-grade oils, these additives are less abundant and their quality is highly questionable. A good oil should have such a viscosity so that it can stick well on parts and not create difficulties for the movement of mechanisms inside the motor.
Which is better to choose?
Choosing the right mower oil is based on a large number of factors that must be followed. It does not matter if you choose a lubricant for a gasoline or self-propelled lawn mower, you cannot use the first oil that comes along. It is also forbidden to choose the most expensive oil or the most popular. The lubricating fluid must be fully matched to the requirements of your lawn mower.
There is no universal option, therefore each case is unique and the choice of oil should be based on the recommendations of the equipment manufacturer.
- In terms of viscosity, the oil is selected in accordance with the temperature conditions that are typical for the operation of garden equipment. For summer, when the ambient temperature reaches 30 degrees, it is advisable to use oil from the SAE-30 series. For the off-season it is recommended to use 10W-30 series oil. Synthetic 5W-30 fluid works well at low temperatures.
- For 2-stroke engines, it is necessary to use a mixture of oil and high-octane gasoline in the ratio recommended by the equipment manufacturer. Usually the ratio is 1/25. According to these figures, 25 ml of gasoline is added for every milliliter of oil. There are exceptions, so you need to study the instructions for the lawn mower.
- In the case of four-stroke type motors, mixing of fluids is not required. A simple automobile fluid is optimal for such mechanisms. It can be SAE30, 10W40 or SF. The main thing is that the technical and operational properties match the list recommended by the manufacturer. For winter use, a liquid must be chosen with frost-resistant properties.
You cannot experiment and use oil that is not suitable for the existing motor. There is a huge difference between the fluids that are used for different types of motors. For example, a fluid for four-stroke type motors must keep its composition unchanged for a long time. Oil for two-stroke engines must have a minimum amount of mineral components to prevent the formation of carbon deposits.
How to choose your lawn mower oil?
- Oil functions
- Which is better to choose?
- Replacement recommendations
Rarely does the owner of a private home can do without a lawn mower. You may not even have a lawn that needs regular maintenance, but still use a lawn mower. This technique, like any other, needs periodic maintenance, such as an oil change. Each lawn mower owner needs to know what kind of liquid can be used for these purposes, how to choose it correctly and pour it into the unit.
In order to choose the right gardening fluid and always know what to buy, you need to study the existing varieties of oils. First of all, technical oil fluids are separated by chemical composition.
- Mineral oils are created from the base obtained from refined petroleum products. These fluids are viscous and must be changed frequently. They are designed for low power motors. Most recommended for summer use.
- Synthetic fluids are based on special synthetic substances, which include esters. The viscosity is at a low level, long service life and year-round use. no other type of lubricant can boast such high characteristics. These fluids are ideal for demanding applications in harsh conditions.
- Semi-synthetic motor oil is created from mineral and synthetic type substances. These oils are the middle choice between the two previous fluids. Semi-synthetic oils are ideal for garden and park equipment, two- and four-stroke engines.
There are several other classifications based on different requirements. The most common API classification. It is supported by different countries and many manufacturers. According to this classification, all engine oils are divided into the following types:
- TA is the best option for home appliances with a motor up to 50 cc. cm;
- TB is intended for equipment with a higher power, equipped with a motor of more than 50, but less than 200 cc. cm;
- TC is an oil that is intended for motors with increased requirements for the quality of the lubricating fluid; such oil can be safely poured into lawn mowers;
- TD is designed for water cooled outboard motors.
Due to the 20% solvent composition, the oil of the two-contact type is able to mix well with automotive fuel. In addition, such liquids are capable of completely burning. Lubricants can be painted in various colors. Coloring does not indicate the quality of the oil. Its function is different. it makes it easier for the user to distinguish between lubricant and fuel.
It is important not only to choose a quality oil that will suit your technique in terms of its characteristics. You also need to know how to properly pour it into the mower. The rules are simple, but must be followed:
- turn on the unit and warm up the engine idle for a quarter of an hour;
- remove the plug from the tank and substitute a container of the required volume to collect the waste liquid;
- tilt the mower and drain the waste material;
- We twist the plug, put the unit on the most even surface. After that, you can open the hole from above;
- fill in a new working fluid, observing the recommendations of the manufacturer of the equipment regarding the volume, check the fluid level conveniently with a dipstick;
- when the amount of liquid has reached the required volume, you can tighten the plug.
In most cases, about 500 ml of fresh oil should be used to replace the used fluid. This norm corresponds to most of the units that are common in Russia. Exceptions, of course, are encountered, so you need to study the instructions before replacing the spent fluid.
If your lawnmower is equipped with a two-stroke engine, and this indicates the need to mix the lubricant with gasoline, then this should be done immediately before replacement. It is impossible to make such a composition with a margin, since due to a chemical reaction, the mixture loses its properties. The approximate shelf life is no more than a month. Only the components will be damaged from such actions.
It is strictly forbidden to pour waste liquid onto the ground or down the drain. Working off should be given to special points for processing. It can also be used for personal purposes. Be responsible and do not pollute the environment with waste technical fluids.
For information on how to change the oil in a lawn mower, see the next video.
In the engine
Changing the oil in the engine is carried out depending on the manufacturer’s instructions. Engine oil changes taking into account the following points:
- The first replacement is carried out after running in the engine. It is carried out exclusively at idle, because excessive load can cause wear of the main structural elements.
- Some manufacturers recommend replacement at 40 hour intervals. The lubricant must be replaced after a period of winter operation.
- It is recommended to warm up the tiller before direct replacement. This is required to increase the fluidity of the substance. In this case, the tiller is installed in a horizontal plane. There should be a drain tube at the bottom of the structure, after unscrewing the plug, the old substance is removed.
- After draining the old substance, the plug is screwed back. There is a filler neck in the upper part of the structure, level control is carried out using a dipstick.
After checking the lubricant level, you can tighten the plug and start the engine. The first few minutes you need to do a run-in at idle, because it takes time to lubricate all structural elements.
For petrol cultivator
Gasoline engines have become widespread because they are highly effective when applied. Unlike diesel devices, gasoline ones vibrate less during operation, there are no problems with starting in winter. In this case, fill in the following oil:
- SA. a similar option can be used at low mechanical stresses, when no additive is required in the composition.
- SB is a substance suitable for use in the medium range of mechanical stress. The special composition provides a low oxidation state, stable lubricating properties.
- SC. lubricants of this group are suitable for servicing motors that are not equipped with a PCV system. This option eliminates the likelihood of the formation of various deposits at high temperatures.
- SD. a product in this category is used for motors equipped with a PCV system. In comparison with the previous version, it copes more effectively with the task of protecting the surface from the formation of deposits.
- SE. used for servicing engines that were produced after 1972.The special composition protects the device from wear and corrosion.
- SF. the substance is used to service engines that were released after 1980. New production technologies have improved the performance of the substance.
- SG. similar oils began to be produced for engines produced after 1988. In terms of basic qualities, the product is similar to that of the SF category, but, at the same time, it differs in additional properties.
- SH is the version of the grease that has been on the market since 1992. This category includes universal lubricants.
The most common cultivator is gasoline, because it is easier to maintain and operate.
Is it possible to fill in car oil
Automotive oil is most often found on sale. It is produced for the internal combustion engine of cars, but it is used in various fields. In some cases, car oil is poured into the tiller engine. When considering such a possibility, it is worth considering:
- Manufacturers produce special substances for two-stroke and four-stroke engines. Lubricants have different requirements depending on the design.
- In two-stroke engines, the engine oil is supplied with the fuel. Therefore, the main requirement is the rapid dissolution of the substance; a large number of aggressive additives should not be included in the composition.
Experts do not recommend pouring car oil into the tiller engine, because this may cause malfunctions during long-term use. At the same time, the price of a special and motor lubricant does not differ much.
In the gearbox
In most cases, any gear oil can be used to lubricate the gearbox. The replacement procedure is carried out as follows:
- The device is located on a horizontal plane, it is tilted slightly. This simplifies the pouring procedure.
- A dipstick is inserted into the hole on the gearbox. It is required to determine the level of the old substance.
To replenish the oil level in the gearbox, a new one is topped up. A completely dry container is filled with about two liters. Some models are equipped with a special hole for removing old material, which may contain a large amount of impurities.
What kind of cultivator oil can be poured into the engine or gearbox
In suburban areas, tillers and cultivators are often used. Such designs are represented by a combination of engine and transmission. Engine maintenance provides for a timely oil change. Its purpose is to reduce the degree of friction between individual elements, as well as additional cooling. There are several different criteria for choosing a cultivator oil.
What kind of oil to fill
There are a large number of different oils on sale that can be poured into the gearbox and motor. The main classification is as follows:
- Summer varieties are characterized by high viscosity, intended for use in the summer. High ambient temperatures cause an increase in viscosity, thereby reducing stress.
- Winter varieties are used in winter and have a low viscosity. Subzero ambient temperatures are the reason why the oil viscosity increases. Manufacturers take this point into account and make the substance less viscous.
- All-season options are considered the most popular. They can be used in any operating conditions of the cultivator, are suitable for four-stroke engines and other options.
Various bases can be used in the manufacture of the substance. On this basis, there are:
- Mineral. This option is much cheaper, but does not cope well with the load.
- Synthetic. A similar substance is produced using modern technology. Therefore, it provides the required level of protection of the motor against wear and overheating.
- Semi-synthetic. A product from this category is cheaper and, at the same time, is considered universal, because added to various devices.
Manufacturers produce options for two-stroke and four-stroke engines. A motor cultivator with the first type of motor is much cheaper; maintenance involves adding a lubricant to the fuel.
For diesel tiller
Diesel engines are being installed on Honda and other cultivators. The advantages of such a node are as follows:
- maximum grip;
- cooling is carried out with air and water;
- fuel consumption is only 5 liters per 100 km.
Diesel mechanisms are characterized by a complex design, therefore, special attention is paid to the selection of the correct oil. The classification is carried out as follows:
- CA is a variant designed for applications with low to medium mechanical stresses. The substance can work with low-sulfur diesel fuel. The inclusion of additional elements in the composition eliminates the likelihood of corrosion, as well as burn-in. Not suitable for heavy duty applications.
- CB is a substance suitable for use at low to medium mechanical stresses when filling with high sulfur diesel fuel. Unlike the previous type, the considered option provides higher protection against corrosion.
- CC. such oil should be poured into the tiller under medium and high mechanical loads. Additives help reduce the likelihood of deposits when exposed to high temperatures.
- CD. this type of oil is used to service an engine that does not have a supercharger on which a turbine is installed. The special composition protects the metal surface from corrosion.
It is recommended to give preference exclusively to synthetic oils, because they are capable of providing high surface protection. Mineral is much cheaper.
Periodic maintenance of the tiller allows you to extend the service life and improve the characteristics of the equipment. The gearbox is considered one of the most important elements, the purpose of which is to increase the transmitted force. Oil is poured into the gearbox in order to reduce the degree of wear between the two rubbing elements. When choosing a gear oil, take into account:
- the degree of viscosity;
- operating temperature;
- type of substrate used in the manufacture.
Each tiller manufacturer indicates the most suitable brands in accordance with GOST. With the Honda engine, various gearboxes can be installed, under the features of which the oil is selected.
- The old liquid is drained first.
- The mower then turns to the side (to the side where the drain hole is located) for a few minutes until the waste fluid is completely drained. Then the tool is put back in a horizontal position. In this case, it is necessary to prepare in advance a small container for the old oil.
- After that, a new one is poured into the mower through the neck into the mower.
Everything, at this stage, the oil change can be considered complete. When you pour new fluid into the neck, remember that it must be poured strictly up to the indicated mark in the crankcase.
How often do you need to change the fluid?
If the engine is not new, the lawn mower oil can be changed approximately every 25-50 hours of tool operation. This is an average of 2-3 months of work. Also, the condition of the oil can be determined without measuring the number of hours worked. Just make sure that it does not start to take on a black tint. When this happens, be sure to change the fluid, otherwise the engine may soon simply jam.
Lawn mower oil: how to change it correctly and which fluid is best to fill
A lawn mower is a very useful thing for those who need to periodically mow grass on lawns and other land plots. However, with the purchase of this tool, do not forget that it, like any other mechanism, requires periodic maintenance. One of these moments is the oil change. How to change the oil in the lawn mower, which liquid is better to fill? You will learn the answer from the article.
Why is it so important to observe the frequency?
First, let’s take a look at how important it is to periodically change the oil in your lawn mower. Firstly, this fluid provides air cooling of the mechanism, thereby allowing the engine to operate at extremely high revs. Secondly, lawn mower oil protects its parts during winter storage.
Which lawn mower oil should you choose?
It is necessary to emphasize that a certain type of fluid and its viscosity directly depend on the temperature conditions in which this tool is operated. So, if the weather is warm (temperatures from plus 5 to plus 30 degrees Celsius), it is recommended to use the SAE-30 series fluid. In the off-season season, experts recommend pouring lawn mower oil with a viscosity of 10W-30. In winter, 5W-30 series fluid can be used. You should also pay attention to Synthetic 5W-30, which, by its properties, ensures reliable operation of lawn mower parts at relatively low temperatures.
To prepare the fuel mixture, unleaded gasoline of grades not lower than AI-90 is used. Previously, AI-80 was used for this, which was cheaper than the others, but over time this type of gasoline left the fuel market. The AI-92 was the best option. You cannot use fuel that is not recommended by the manufacturer for a particular engine. It will incapacitate him quickly enough.
When refueling, storing gasoline, a number of recommendations must be taken into account. You must not pour gasoline into plastic containers, because:
- This can cause a fire, because plastic is a material that can generate static electricity when rubbed.
- Gasoline destroys plastic on contact. Its microparticles get into the fuel, which leads to the preparation of a poor-quality mixture for a two-stroke engine.
Why you need to mix gasoline with oil
When the parts are mated, they are lubricated, because the mixture consists not only of a combustible part, but of a lubricating component. This is why the use of clean fuels is not recommended. The engine will work, but in the absence of lubrication, the piston system will quickly fail, fail.
Thus, mixing gasoline with two-stroke oil is extremely necessary for the following reasons:
- increasing the service life of the internal combustion engine;
- elimination of the formation of scuffing elements of the piston group;
- prevention of jamming of mechanisms, engine parts during overheating;
- ensuring effective lubrication of rubbing parts;
- preventing all kinds of breakdowns during work.
Preparation of the mixture
The fuel mass ratio must be accurate, calculated according to the manufacturer’s recommendations. It is not recommended to dilute “by eye”, because an insufficient amount of oil in the mixture and its excess will also lead to engine breakdown. For mixing, you need to choose the type of fuel, the brand of lubricant and how much oil you need to pour into gasoline.
Mixing oil with gasoline
All work with fuels and lubricants must be carried out in compliance with safety measures, namely:
- use of gloves to keep oil and gasoline particles out of the skin;
- mixing is carried out outdoors to prevent the accumulation of gasoline vapors;
- it is forbidden to work near open flames, heating devices or smoking.
In addition to safety measures, you should be careful with measuring containers and funnels. Everything must be clean. It is necessary to exclude any ingress of dust, debris, water into the finished fuel mixture. Otherwise, such a refueling will lead at least to clogging of the carburetor and other fuel supply elements.
A measuring cup is used for mixing. This can be a separate container with a measure or a special compartment on a bottle of oil. In any case, first, the amount of oil and gasoline is procured, taking into account the required proportions. Then the oil is poured into gasoline and mixed. The fluid should take on a uniform shade, depending on what color the lubricating fluid was. blue, red, green. The fuel mixture for the two-stroke internal combustion engine is ready.
You cannot mix the components directly in the gas tank of the equipment. Cooking takes place only in a separate container.
Oil to gasoline ratio for two-stroke engines: features and recommendations
Nowadays, gas powered tools, motor boats, scooters and motorcycles are not a luxury. This is a common technique that everyone has. One of the distinguishing features of such equipment is a two-stroke gasoline engine.
Unlike four-stroke internal combustion engines, where the lubrication system is provided separately, two-stroke engines are refueled by mixing gasoline with oil. It is important to respect the proportions, the prohibition of refueling clean fuel without adding oil. Otherwise, a decrease in the service life of the engine, which will result in frequent breakdowns and short-term failure.
Features and principle of operation of a two-stroke engine
The advantages of a two-stroke internal combustion engine are ease of maintenance and repair. Its resource is higher than that of a four-stroke. Increased service life is achieved by reducing the number of piston movements.
The working cycle is completed completely in one revolution of the crankshaft. These are two strokes: compression and working stroke. Unlike a four-stroke ICE, there is no fuel mixture intake phase and no exhaust cycle. In a two-stroke, the process of fuel intake and exhaust gas exhaust is carried out during compression and expansion, i.e. in the course of one revolution of the crankshaft.
Thanks to this system, the torque and power of a two-stroke engine is higher than that of a four-stroke engine. Specific power with the same engine cubic capacity can exceed a four-stroke engine by 50%.
Oil selection for two-stroke internal combustion engines
For a two-stroke engine, you must purchase branded API-TB or API-TC oils. The instructions for the equipment or gasoline tool will necessarily indicate the recommended oil brand, which is also subdivided by viscosity and characteristics:
How to Choose the Right Fuel for Your Mower
- mineral. for warm weather;
- semi-synthetic. mineral oils with improved qualities for all-season weather;
- synthetic. used in more severe times at low temperatures.
When purchasing oil, you need to be guided by how much mixture you need for technology. If you plan to use a lawn mower, then 1-2 liters are enough for the season. If it is a scooter or a boat motor, then the amount will be required much more. Based on the instructions, you can make the correct calculation of fuel in advance.
Gasoline and oil proportions
There is no definite answer to the question of how much oil is required per liter of gasoline. For each gasoline two-stroke engine, taking into account the power and the period of use, its own proportion is provided. The operating instructions indicate indicators, while the ratio during the running-in and subsequent operation is different.
For example, for garden equipment. mowers (trimmers), chainsaws, the proportionality of constant operation is 1:50, running-in 1:40. The proportion of oil and gasoline for a boat motor is also individual: 1:25. running-in, 1:40. short period of work, 1:50. long-term operation. For tillers, cultivators, more oil is needed: 1:20. running-in, 1:30. continuous operation. Motorcycles, scooters will need even more oil. Here, the proportions during running-in will be 1:15, and in the future, a fuel mixture of 1:20 will be required.
The position that the more oil, the better or according to the principle “it will not get worse” is not relevant. Increased concentration will cause increased engine wear as a carbon deposit will form. The proportion must be accurate. For convenience, a two-stroke fuel mixing table is used. It contains indicators that allow you to determine the need for gasoline and oil for the preparation of a certain amount of fuel, taking into account the required proportion.