How to cut a profile for a stretch ceiling
How to saw a baguette for a stretch ceiling
The first thing let’s define, what of the tool we need for the installation of baguettes.
- electric screwdriver
- painting cord
- Self-tapping screws and dowels, a drill 6 mm in diameter and a drill 6 mm in diameter
Let’s prepare the room. For this we need to free all space around the perimeter of the room at a distance of 1 meter from the walls. No plants or pets should be left in the room. All furniture that can not be removed, you must cover with special blankets. Also, that would be convenient to fix the baguette, we need to prepare it: drill holes for dowels. The distance between the holes should not exceed 15 cm, and the indentation at the ends of the whip from the edge should not be more than 2 cm. It is not recommended to make a big distance, as the profile will start to pull away and bend in the areas between the mountings. Plastic baguette is drilled into the special rib of rigidity, if you look at the end, it looks like a cube. And aluminum. in a special shelf. The photo shows how to prepare the profiles for installation.
When preparing the room, it is worth considering another important point: where in the walls runs the electrical cable. This is especially true for brick houses of Khrushchev construction. You must be guided by the boxes on the wall, sockets, switches. In most cases, the wire runs at the level of junction boxes and drops vertically over each outlet or switch. The location of wires should be taken into account at the stage of measuring the leaf.
How to bypass the tube on a suspended ceiling of PVC
Consider the concealed method using prefabricated trim. as the fastest, easiest and aesthetically pleasing option. First measure the diameter of the pipe and buy the right product. If there are castings on the circumference, they are removed with a file. This ensures an even surface.
Then determine the distance from the pipe to the nearest wall. The hem is trimmed to size. After that, the detail is glued to the film from the underside, having measured the necessary distance from the edge of the fabric.
It is important to consider the tensile strength of the material (indicated on the labeling of the sheet). The distance should be calculated so that the correct value is obtained after heating and stretching the film. For example, at a shrinkage percentage of 7%, multiply it by 0.93, and at 8%. by 0.92.
The rim is smeared with adhesive as close as possible to the inner edges and applied to the sheet. Then cuts are made: from the harpoon to the center and in the middle. crosswise (several times). The resulting petals are bent and glued to the plate for security. Harpoon and foil in the area of the cut is secured with a small piece of PVC.
The circumference is put on the pipe. Start tucking the foil in next to the utilities. Then they take a small piece of plastic and glue it to the cut between the wall and the pipe (also from the inside). This ensures an even and practically invisible joint, and an aesthetically pleasing ceiling appearance.
Attention! If the communications are laid very close to the wall, from the circumference cut a semicircle. It is glued so that the part does not get under the harpoon, otherwise it will protrude.
How to make a hole in a stretch ceiling after installation
The installation of the stretch ceiling is not the end of the repair. It is necessary to install lighting, hang the cornice, sometimes in addition put ventilation grilles, fire alarm sensors, etc. п. And for this you have to cut holes. But the material differs from the others in properties, and therefore the technology is different.
Types of profiles for suspended ceilings
To fix the strip we use profiles. These are fasteners of various shapes. It depends on the type and the place of attachment.
By type of fastening
- Ceiling. Mounted to the substrate. This makes it possible to minimize the height of the walls. With correct room geometry, only 150-300 mm are removed.
- Wall. Fastened along the perimeter of the wall. Gives the best possible hold-down. “Takes up from 300 to 1,200 mm of room height.
- Universal. Fastened both to the walls and to the ceiling slab. It is used for assembling of non-standard models: multilevel, with complex geometry, etc.п.
- Delimiter. Mounted when installing the combined design, when elements of different textures or colors are combined. Besides, dividing elements are installed if there is a threat of sagging of large-surface canvases.
Two types of materials are used for the elements.
- Aluminum profiles. Well withstand considerable loads, durable. Due to their high strength, their anchoring spacing is quite large: from 30 to 45 cm. This significantly saves the budget for fasteners and reduces installation time. The aluminum bar does not deform during operation. It can be used to create frameworks with broken lines. At the same metal profile is quite massive, with careless handling appear dents. The aluminum price is high enough.
- Plastic parts. Their main advantage is flexibility. Only they can be used to make a variety of rounded and curved shapes. In addition, plastic is lightweight, it does not show signs of bending, it is easy to transport and mount. It does not need to be drilled, like metal, self-tapping screws easily enter it. The price of plastic is low, but it is not as strong as aluminum. Therefore, for large areas, it is better to choose stronger metal elements. Poor quality plastic can splinter when attached with self-tapping screws. For a “broken” shape framework with sharp corners plastic is not suitable. It breaks down.
Features of the harpoon technology
The most reliable and at the same time quite expensive technology is the harpoon fastening of the PVC tensioned canvas. This method involves the following steps:
- On the perimeter of the canvas is a special edging, which has the shape of a hook and is made of a fairly strong metal.
- With the help of edging PVC film is fixed in a plastic or aluminum profile for stretch ceilings. To do this, preheat the stretched fabric, and then secure it in the grooves of the profile. First, the stretching is carried out diagonally, and then. along the perimeter of the ceiling space. When the film is cooled, it is stretched, creating a completely flat surface.
- Due to the tension of the fabric in the process of fixing, it is possible to buy a little smaller material.
Harpoon technology has a very important advantage: for fixing the PVC film can be used different types of baguettes. In addition, there is no need to install decorative skirting boards, because the mounting system of the cloth is completely hidden.
Ceiling profile and its purpose
Fastening of the stretch ceiling is carried out at some distance from the base surface. Bearing profile (baguette) is installed on the ceiling or walls of the room, depending on the design of the coating. Baguettes are made of plastic or aluminum.
The standard length of this element is 2500 mm. If necessary, it can be cut or extended with additional slats. The assembly of the stretch ceiling begins with the installation of baguettes on the building envelope. After that, the fastening of the stretch ceiling in the locks of these supporting elements.
After installing the cloth the gap formed between the two surfaces is closed by a plinth, a decorative cord or a special insertion that comes with the baguette and is selected to match the color of the cloth.
Important! The support profile is firmly attached to the walls and can withstand a tear-off force of 20 kg/m², so even significant volumes of water weighing down the covering will not cause damage to the structure.
Profiles have reusable latches that allow you to release the web from the lock and re-install it if necessary. These actions are needed to replace the coating, its cleaning, repair or drain water after a flood. Mounting mechanism can withstand about 8 repeated operations for mounting and dismounting of the stretching fabric.
The mounting baguette has two structural parts:
- The mounting part acts as a supporting base. It is located along the entire length of the element and is used to attach it to the walls or ceiling. Ceiling profile for a stretch ceiling is attached to the horizontal plane, and the wall baguettes are mounted on vertical surfaces.
- The locking part on the rails for the stretch ceiling. this is the mechanism for fixing the cloth. The lock securely holds the cloth and allows you to pull it during installation. Depending on the design, there are several varieties of latches. The difference between them lies in functionality, fixation reliability and price. What affects the popularity of the element.
Stretch ceilings. How to fix the baguette? Tips for installing the profile
Profiles for stretch ceilings differ in material, the method of attachment and type of fixing the fabric. According to the material, baguettes are divided into plastic and aluminum. They differ in characteristics and advantages.
- flexibility, thanks to which the products fit tightly to uneven walls;
- low cost;
- lightness, reducing the cost of transportation;
- easy to install (it is easier to screw in self-tapping screws, it is not necessary to pre-drill);
- safety for the furnishings (will not damage new wallpaper or expensive furniture).
- durability (10-15 years without replacement of the cloth, and if you have to remove the film in 5-7 years, you will need a new baguette);
- fragility (can withstand no more than 50 square meters of fabric);
- Sometimes there is an excessive softness that deforms the profile during installation (deficiencies can be closed with a skirting board, a stub will not work);
- high rigidity is also a disadvantage: the baguette breaks in the corners, from the front shelf during installation pieces break off, so you have to replace part of the elements;
- a large number of low quality products.
- durability (does not deform, even on uneven walls, it is easy to level the frame);
- the possibility of installing a suspended ceiling of any size;
- tight adjacency to the wall (combined with a masking insert)
- economy on fasteners (self-tapping screws are screwed in less often);
- durability (even if the canvas is replaced after 10-15 years).
- high cost;
- the complexity of fixing to plasterboard (you have to drill the frame more often, which increases the total time of work)
- difficulties in the dismantling of the leaf (the front shelf is unbent, and the masking plug cannot be inserted back);
- conductivity of electric current (danger of injury during installation).
According to the method of attachment, the baguettes are wall, ceiling and universal. The first variant is the most often used. The wall profile allows you to maintain different distances from the rough slab to the leaf. You can mount built-in lighting, hide beams or communications, passing through the ceiling.
Ceiling profiles are less likely to “eat up” the height of the room. But since they are fastened directly to the floor slab, you can not adjust the level of the horizontal plane. Therefore, this framework is installed only on a perfectly flat ceiling.
Universal profile is used for rooms with a complex geometric shape, built-in furniture and volumetric structures. Attached to both the walls and the ceiling.
Also there are different types of frame depending on the system of fixing the leaf. For PVC-film using harpoon or stud (wedge) mount, baguettes are available as plastic and aluminum. For stretching fabric, only clip-on plastic profiles or staple profiles are used. Depending on the system for fixing the cloth is different baguette design, but on the technology of installation is no effect.
As a rule, when installing stretch ceilings, the frame is always made of wall baguettes. Other types are used only when it is not possible to attach the profile to the wall. If the area of the room is more than 50 square meters use only aluminum baguettes, in other cases plastic baguettes are suitable. The mounting system can be chosen according to the sheet material.
Read more: Types of baguettes for stretch ceilings
Features of PVC-film consumption
The PVC ceiling is a reinforced vinyl sheet ranging in width from 1300 to 2750 mm (in steps of 100, 300, 400 and 500 mm). It is possible to order rolls of more than 3000 mm, which reduces the consumption of ceiling material for large rooms.
DIY stretch ceiling installation training / how to do it yourself / tutorial video
The thickness of such a film is 0,15-0,37 mm, while it can withstand loads up to 100 kg per 1 m2. On it often drawings are applied using full-color photo printing, which is a significant advantage for the development of design projects.
Another feature of the film material is its high elasticity. When heated, it stretches a lot, and when it cools, it shrinks a lot, taking its original size. The shrinkage properties of vinyl film affect its use: the fabric is cut by 6-10% less than the results obtained, in some cases 13 and even 20%. the larger the area, the higher the percentage, it also depends on the manufacturer and the density of the PVC-film.
Consequently, the consumption of vinyl material for a stretch ceiling is calculated as follows:
- For a room size of 5.5 m x 4.55 m, the area is 25.3 m²;
- the cloth in this case should be a length of. 5.5. (5.5×0.1) = 4.95 m and a width of. 4.55-(4.55×0.1) = 4.095 m;
- total consumption will be 4.95×4.095 = 20.27 m².
The example is calculated for a high quality consumable with sufficient elasticity and a correction value of minus 10%.
Sometimes it happens that a single strip of film is not enough. In such cases (as well as in the manufacture of fabrics from colored fragments) apply the mating of two or more strips. In this case the consumption may increase, because of the increase in trimming at cutting. Payment, however, is charged for all the material used. The example above refers just to this case: a canvas width of 4000 mm is not enough, and take 4500. a strip of 40 cm will have to let in waste. But if you buy two pieces of 1400 and 2700 mm, you will not need to throw anything away at all.
Advice: if you use a welded canvas, it is better to buy a film with a matte or satin surface, so that the seams were not visible. The material with a glossy and decorative face, as a rule, is not welded, so as not to spoil the beauty.
Two-level stretch ceilings with their own hands
Having gained experience in installing a stretch ceiling with your own hands, you can proceed to the installation of two-level ceilings by yourself.
The main difficulty here is the installation of structures for the second level. Accordingly, the requirements for the surfaces to which these structures will be attached. the walls and the main ceiling. increase. It is also likely that you will have to combine the work with the film or fabric with the arrangement of drywall surfaces.
You can read more about all this on our website in the article “Technology of installation of multilevel stretch ceilings”.