How to insert the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel correctly
How to tuck the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel? Video instruction
Warranty exhaustion of the factory filling grass trimmer will inevitably require replacement of the line. Having a very rough idea of how to tuck the line into the grass trimmer reel by themselves, beginners are reluctant to take on this task. However, with some skills, mastering this simple science is not difficult, and the following similar instructions will facilitate this process as much as possible.
Choosing the cord
There are general rules for choosing a line for a grass trimmer.
- If the grass trimmer for gasoline grass trimmer equipped with a motor power of less than 500 V, choose the working thread thickness of 1.3 mm.
- Use 2mm filament for a motor with more than 1000V.
- If the work shaft is curved, 2mm cord is fine. For straight. 2.4. 3 mm.
- Consider the cross section when choosing fishing line. For young and thin grass, use spiral shaped cord. If you are cutting through heavy weeds, use a line with a serrated section. Use a rectangular thread to give the lawn an even surface, but such a thread is not durable. For difficult weeds use round line with an inner wire.
It is best not to change the line to metal wire. This can disable the tool, as well as injury in case of a tear.
Winding the line
Threading fishing line into the grass trimmer reel is a relatively simple procedure, provided that you follow a certain algorithm. When you need to determine how many meters of consumable material is enough, wind it on the bobbin so that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. Once you have decided on the length of the cord, follow these instructions:
- Fold the consumable in half so that one end of the line is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Charging should begin with the center bead, which divides the grass trimmer bobbin into 2 parts. Find the groove where the cord should be inserted. Bend the last one in half.
- Determine which direction the line should be wound. To do this, look closely at the bobbin, which may have an arrow or inscription on it. This indicates the winding direction. If there are no markings on the spool then look at the arrow on the mowing head. wind around in the opposite direction.
- Make sure you wrap the fishing line carefully, coil by coil. Try to keep the thread as tight as possible.
- When you have finished laying the cord, secure the short end of the material first. To do this, insert it into the groove on the side of the spool that fits the diameter. Attach the second end (longer), in the groove on the other side of the grass trimmer spool.
- Once you have secured the bobbin thread, cut the ends. Remember to leave a seam allowance of about 10cm.
- Fit the threaded spool to the mowing head. To do this, you need to alternately insert and tighten the thread into the output holes of the head, so as to then place the bobbin of the device in the skin.
- Having applied the required force, pull the cord out of the fixing grooves and tighten the material. When you have finished, put on the cover and fasten it with the latches.
Step-by-step winding of the line on the spool Winding the cord on the grass trimmer can also be done in another way, in which two pieces of material are charged instead of one. The replacement is carried out as follows:
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- At the bottom of the bobbin there should be a hole, which is designed to fix the line. Insert the bent end of the thread there.
- Wind the cord material in the direction of the arrow to the desired level, which does not exceed the diameter of the grass trimmer spool.
- Do the same for the second bobbin core.
- Assembly of the head of the device is similar to the first method.
How to tuck the fishing line into the grass trimmer
The method of winding the thread on the spool depends on the model of gasoline trimmer. In devices with a fishing line and in the sample with the possibility of changing the cutting element, the algorithm of actions is different. Let’s break down each option separately. The line diameter is indicated on the side of the reel or in the tool’s data sheet. Choose the line specified by the manufacturer for winding.
A 2 mm line is considered universal. It is used for cutting grass of any hardness. The thicker the working line, the harder the vegetation it cuts. But, if you put too thick a line in the spool, the motor will overheat because the resistance to rotation of the shaft will increase.
There are 3 types of the most popular trimmer heads
Mechanical spool. a plastic or metal disc, in which different ways to fix one or more small sections of line, because of which it is necessary to manually change the line.
Here are the most popular models of these heads:
Despite the variety of models and differences in appearance, coils of this type are arranged and work on the same principle.
the base plate connects the other trimmer head components to the brushcutter or electric mower through a threaded bushing that is fused into it, so each bobbin fits only that trimmer with a gearbox or lower motor shaft diameter that matches the bushing.
There is a spring inside the base that supports the bobbin, pushing the pressure part outward through the removable body.
on the bobbin and housing have clamps that prevent the former from turning, but when the operator strikes the ground, the bobbin is disengaged from the clamps removable housing and freely rotates.
The removable casing has holes for the line, and they are located so that the line exit from the bobbin is noticeably higher, it ensures a reliable fixation of the line in the working condition.
When the operator hits the ground with the presser foot, the bobbin enters the housing and all the holes through which the line runs are aligned. Then the centrifugal force pulls some of the wound string outward, and when the pressure on the pressure part disappears, the bobbin comes out of the housing and takes up its working position again.
Regardless of the model and manufacturer, all automatic spools are designed and work on the same principle.
They consist of the following parts:
A threaded sleeve is soldered into the body of the base, and ratchet locks are installed on the inner surface, which allows the bobbin to rotate only in one direction. There is a through channel inside the bobbin for the line to be wound. The cap is firmly slipped on the bobbin and shaped edges make it easy to rotate it to wind the line.
How to tuck lines into a grass trimmer reel
To change the line in your trimmer, cut a piece of material of the right size by folding it in half. One half should be 5-10 cm longer than the other.
To wind the line correctly on the spool, the middle of the line, folded in a loop, must be placed in the groove of the central baffle. Wrap one half of the fishing line tightly around the upper part and the other half tightly around the lower part. The longer part is wound onto the lower part. Wind it in the opposite direction to the direction of rotation of the head. On the cover or on the side of the head an arrow should be drawn on it showing the direction of rotation. You must wind the line in the opposite direction of the arrow. Do the work carefully, pressing the coil tightly against the coil.
Insert the remaining 10-15 cm long ends in the slots on the top edge of the coil, this will fix them. With the ends fastened, the line will not unwind.
If you do not have enough line in one piece, you can wind it in two pieces instead of one. In this case, hook the end of the line and insert it into the slit in the center divider of the bobbin. Proceed in the same way with the second piece. Now wind first one piece and then the other on your halves of the spool against the direction of rotation.
To tuck the fishing line into the grass trimmer, insert its ends into the holes in the mowing head and pull them out. Put the spool on the spool pin and push it down so that it sits in place and pull again on the ends of the cutting line to pull it out to its full length.
The line should extend nearly as far as the blade guard. Cut off any excess material. To do this, you can use the steel plate on the cover that acts like a knife and automatically cuts the line of excessive length when the head unwinds.
Spool is covered with a protective cap. Put it in place and press it down until it clicks into the grooves. Always check that the cover is properly engaged in the grass trimmer and that the latches are properly engaged, otherwise the cover could come off while you are working. The coil will then be ejected by the rotation of the coil.
Do not try to reel in as much material as possible or the reel may not click into place and you may have trouble reattaching and securing the cover. It is better if the reel is filled with fishing line so that it does not extend beyond the dimensions of the part.
There are not only mechanical two-blade mowers, but also single-blade models. They differ in that the cutting line is only coming out on one side. The reel in such types of scythes may not have a central partition, instead of it, a slit in the lower flange is used to install the nonworking end of the thread, in the upper flange there is also a slit for fixing the working end.
With a replaced brushcutter you are ready to go to work. Do not mow thick weeds or brush twigs, this is not a job for a grass mower. To prevent injuries and line breakage, do not allow stones and branches to get under the brushcutter.
For lawn mowing, one reel of reinforced line is sufficient for an area of 400-600 m2.
Once the cutting filament is worn out, turn the mower off and remove the mowing head cap. Pull the fishing line out of the slit, pulling it to the necessary length, and insert it into the slit again. The amount of material wound on the spool is sufficient for 5 to 10 cycles depending on the model. When you will install the cover in place, look carefully to see if the grooves where the locks are inserted are clogged, if they are clogged, carefully clean them.
When the fishing line is worn out, you need to disassemble the mowing head again, pull out the spool and rewind the working line on it.
How to remove the spool from the grass trimmer and remove the fishing line
Initially, before you tuck the fishing line into the grass trimmer reel, you need to remove it from there. The spool or pickup is a device inside the mowing head, spool or reel. There are different kinds of mowing heads (depending on the manufacturer), but the principle of changing the line on the spool is the same for all. The first thing to understand is how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the reel of fishing line out of it.
This is interesting! The tooling can be changed directly on the tool, but if you are doing it for the first time, it is still recommended to remove the head and learn the detailed process of winding. After you’ve mastered the technique, you can carry out the replacement on your brushcutter or chain saw.
Instructions on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and clean off any dirt that may be lying on it. Grasp the cover locks (on the mowing head) symmetrically with two fingers of one hand. After pressing them in slightly, remove the cover from the drum
- Next, remove the spool of fishing line from the reel shaft. It is seated on the shaft without fasteners, so it can be removed with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which should be unscrewed with a screwdriver with a suitable tip or a bit
- To unscrew it, hold the base of the reel with one hand and unscrew with a screwdriver counterclockwise with the other
- After that you can start dismounting. to do this, do not pull it with all your might, but gently wiggle it sideways to slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the reel is seated
- When reinstalling, the head should be seated in the slots of the square shaped
The process is not difficult, and as you can imagine, you don’t have to remove the entire head if you know how to replace it. Consider the following points when disassembling:
Restring a 2 sided spool on a string trimmer weed eater EASY!!
- Periodically removing the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded joint. If you have never unscrewed a screw, it will be difficult and sometimes even impossible to do so if necessary
- if the screw has a square drive head, a screwdriver or suitable size bit must be used when unscrewing in order to prevent the head facets from sticking
- When assembling the unit, the threaded seating should be treated with a lubricant, such as solidol or machine oil
- If the edges on the screw have slipped off, you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it
- There are drums that do not need to be disassembled beforehand. To disassemble it, take hold of it and twist in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the reel, you should continue to figure out the process of replacing the grass trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the grass trimmer reel and disassemble it.
WARNING! Typical line problems
They say it for a reason: Forewarned is forearmed
Being aware of possible problems and their causes, you can prevent them in good time. We recommend that you remember or leave a memo.
|The problem is||Cause||Solution|
|Line breakage||Stones, branches, and hard objects in the grass||Avoid collision|
|Poor quality filament||Replace with a quality replacement|
|Worn out head outlets||Requires complete replacement of the part|
|The line is unwound||The spring in the reel is loose||Check the spring and replace if damaged|
|The line is sticking together||The line is of low quality and may melt due to the heat from the heated head||Reel in less line or use a better quality line|
For a better understanding of how to change the line in the bobbin with a manual prepared by FUBAG specialists:
Repairing the grass trimmer reel with your own hands: how to remove, disassemble, change the line, assemble and reinstall
Trimmer mowing heads come in many designs, ranging from simple to complex. The illustration below shows the semi-automatic trimmer head from a Husqvarna brushcutter (Husqvarna) disassembled.
This type of head is present in the set of most gasoline mowers and electric trimmers, such as STIHL (STIHL), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The design of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following parts:
- the base of the mowing head;
- button for semi-automatic feeding of the cord;
- bobbin (spool) into which the fishing line is tucked;
- eyelets. through these the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also simpler trimmer heads, shown in the following photo.
All these mowing heads do not let you change the length of line in semi-automatic mode (by pushing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.