How to get the fishing line out of the grass trimmer spool
How to take off a spool and change a fishing line
Owners of trimmers, mostly beginners, get confused, bordering on panic, when there is a need to change the cutting tool or line in the spool. Very often when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply cause it to fail, unaware that it unscrews in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Before tucking the fishing line into the spool, turn off the brushcutter engine or de-energize the electric grass trimmer to avoid injuries that can occur if you accidentally start the cutting tool rotation.
- Unscrew the head mounted on the gearbox shaft. To do this, you need to fix the shaft by aligning the holes on the washer and the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the mowing head. Note that the thread on the shaft is left handed. Therefore, it is necessary to turn the grass trimmer reel to the right, that is, in a clockwise direction.
- Disassemble the mowing head. often than not, the head cover is mounted on clamps. To remove it, you’ll need to push these clips into the housing, pushing the edges off the cover. In case your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head that has a button on the bottom, then the disassembly of the head should be done carefully, because you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut the necessary amount of line. It is usually about 5 meters long. Use as much cord as is given in the instruction manual for your tool. It is not advisable to exceed the maximum line diameter, as this will put more strain on the engine and increase gasoline consumption.
- Find the middle of the cord by folding it in half. You have a loop.
- There are special grooves (there may be holes) inside the spool. Insert the loop of fishing line into this groove.
- Wind the line around the spool by turning it counterclockwise. Make sure the line is wound as evenly as possible, and the line should wind without overlapping and with a good tension. When you have finished winding it, leave about 20 cm of free line, and fix the ends in the slots on the sides of the spool.
- Assemble the mowing head. Before finally assembling the nozzle, do not forget to insert the spring and the washer (if available). Insert the spool into the housing and thread the ends of the filament through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and fasten with the clips.
- Screw the nozzle back onto the reducer shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. You should turn the grass trimmer reel to the left (counterclockwise). arrow).
The filament does not lengthen automatically
If the line does not extend when the grass trimmer reel button is lightly struck on the ground, the following may be the cause.
Variant 1. Jamming has occurred, i.e.е. the filament is caught between the coils. This problem usually occurs if the user has wound the line unevenly, with overlapping coils, or has wound it with insufficient tension. If you turn the mowing head at high speed, centrifugal force causes the filament to be caught between the coils and the line may be looped in between the coils. To fix the problem, you will have to disassemble the spool on the trimmer and rewind the cord correctly, i.e. with even turns and good tension.
Variant 2. the ends are too short and protrude from the head. The line may not come out when you hit the ground if the line ends sticking out of the mowing head are not long enough (short). In such a case, the centrifugal force is not enough to pull the line. So you need to stop the machine (turn off the engine or unplug the electric grass trimmer) and pull the line by hand, pre-pressing the button.
Variant 3. the line has soldered inside the mowing head. This causes the coil to freeze and does not turn when the button is pressed. Basically, this occurs for several reasons: poor quality cord, overheating of the spool during prolonged operation of the machine, the impact of the line on solid objects.
- In the first case, the third-party cord may be made of low-quality, easily fusible materials that cannot withstand the mechanical and thermal loads. Therefore, preference should be given to “with the proprietary” line.
- But, if you still bought a fishing line of unknown quality, and it often solders during work, you can follow the example of some users who, after filling the cord in the spool, lubricate it either with silicone grease (from a spray can) or mineral oil. This procedure much lessens the chance of the line strands sticking together.
- The line may also stick to itself if it hits a hard object while mowing (stones, fence, dry twigs, etc.).д.). As a result, it stretches a little and retracts back into the head at a high rate of speed. Friction causes the filament to become hot and the filament strands to stick together. The only thing you can do to correct this malfunction is to open the grass trimmer reel and rewind the line.
How to wind the line onto the grass trimmer spool
The line in the trimmer head can run out at the most inopportune moment when the work is in full swing. To avoid time-consuming and laborious reading of the instructions for changing the filament we recommend that you familiarize yourself in advance with this theoretical procedure. From our article you will learn all the subtleties, from the choice of consumables to winding on different types of bobbins.
Removing and disassembling the reel
The trimmer head consists of a casing, a spring (not every model has one), a bobbin with cord, and a cover. Before proceeding to disassemble the reel of an electric unit, be sure to unplug the grass trimmer from the mains. Disassembly method depends on the attachment of the mowing head. First option:
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press in on the latches (catches) located on both sides of the head.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the bobbin. remove it from the body. Some trimmer reels have a spring under the bobbin, which should also be carefully removed.
- Remove the bobbin and you’ll see the screw in the center of the housing. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, rocking it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the grass trimmer head is screwed on the gear shaft. To loosen it, you need to fix the shaft. For this purpose, such devices have a hole, through which a thin screwdriver or a metal rod is inserted. Quick start guide:
- Insert a screwdriver in the opening, then tighten the STIHL STIHL STIHL 180.
- Take hold of the headstock and start twisting. Do this in a clockwise direction because. к. Left thread on the shaft.
Stihl FS 38 trimmer line how to re spool.
Winding the line on the spool