Replacing the brushes in the Bosch voltage regulator
Alternator Brushes Replacement without Inverter Removal on Lada Granta
Algorithm of actions for independent replacement of the LADA Granta alternator brushes
- Place the car in the perimeter of the repair area, ensure safety measures, activate the parking brake.
- Open the hood, twist the terminals from the battery to avoid a short circuit during the work.
- 13″ key, disconnect the power (plus) cable from the back of the converter.
- Unscrew the additional nut, “10” spanner.
- Press down on the three catches on the back side of the inverter and take out the plastic cover.
- There are two screws under the cover to fix the regulator to the alternator body. Unscrew them.
- Pull aside the regulator, disconnect the wire.
- Carry out fault finding, inspect the actual condition of the brushes, converter. Replace worn parts with new ones.
- Reassemble the construction in the reverse order.
At this work on the independent replacement of the voltage regulator is over. This method allows you to replace the components without having to dismantle the main unit.
In practice, few people use it because of its ineffectiveness. Motorists, masters of service centers prefer the second method.It is time-consuming, but with 100% positive results.
How to change the brushes on the generator?
It is possible to perform replacement without taking off an alternator. it is enough to remove a voltage regulator together with a brush unit. Before this, it is necessary to disconnect the alternator from the power supply (disconnect the minus terminal from the battery). After that unscrew clamping nut, remove voltage regulator with brush holder. If the wear is critical (less than 5 mm), it will be necessary to replace the brushes (graphite rods). Here’s how to do it:
- Disconnect terminals (solder off wires) and remove old brushes, clean solder joint, check spring tension;
- install the new set in the brush holder, solder the contacts;
- Check the free movement of brushes in the brush holder;
- install the brush assembly in place and secure it with the nut.
Sometimes the solution can be simpler: the contact between the brushes and the rotor rings may have been broken by sticking the former. The cause of the problem could be mud or graphite deposits which can easily be removed by blowing out the dirty areas with compressed air.
Bosch BR28-N1 voltage regulator.
Bosch. F00M144123. Alternator regulator MB Actros 613 D614 D615 D616 D (668.331668.332)618 D818 D818 DA 4×4810 DT812 DT (670.398)813 D814 D815 D816 D (670.331670.332)813 DA814 DA 4×4815 DA816 DA 4×4 (670.431670.432)O 810O 814O 815 (670.373670.374)
BR28-N1, F 00M 144 123 for alternator 4892318, 4892320 Bosch Cummins 4ISBe185, 210, 285, 300 engine.
Bosch. F 00M 144 123. EL. VOLTAGE REGULATOR F 00M 144 123
|MERCEDES-BENZMercedes Benz Actros||A0001543805, 000 154 38 05|
- Alternator connector
- Radiator of integral relay
- The holes to mount the voltage regulator to the alternator, also serves as the ground
- Brush holder
- Connecting the regulator to the voltage at terminal B of the generator
- two brushes
- integral relay
- alternator phase output to pin W (tachometer)
Most generator repairs are limited to replacing the brushes. But sometimes you need to go deeper. And there is a need for more information. Some technical information you will find on this page.
How to replace the brushes on a relay regulator?
Faced with a problem with wear of brushes in an alternator, you can find one unpleasant feature. In most modern cars, alternator brushes are complete with a relay regulator, and the price of a new original relay regulator can be a little bit biting. Experienced car enthusiasts have long learned how to resolder such brushes, today we will show how you can easily replace the brushes on the voltage regulator.
This is one of the main components of the car’s electrical system. Installed on vehicles that run on any fuel and energy.
Is designed for current lead and current drain. For this reason, if the alternator brushes fail, the car will lose all voltage. And without it, it’s just a “dead” mechanism. Therefore special attention is paid to these elements.
They are made of graphite, that’s why they have one more name. “coal”. Brushes are made with the same characteristics and do not differ from each other. The exceptions are mechanisms that operate in harsh conditions. For example, devices installed in engines with high rotation speeds are impregnated with special compounds.
How to check the brushes
The easiest way is to check the fuse responsible for the alternator. If there is any fault, replace it. Then it is desirable to examine the integrity of the belt, wiring and converter body. If all is in order, you should move on to checking the brushes.
To check, whether the brushes of an alternator are worn down or not, it is necessary to measure their residual length. If the elements are shorter than 5 mm, they need to be replaced. Control of the carbons must be carried out during the routine inspection of the electrics of the car.
However, this method will only give a superficial idea of the state of the brushes. And on many cars graphite elements are combined with a voltage regulator, so this part is checked at the same time. As a rule, a multimeter is used for checking, but a normal 12-volt light bulb will do. It is connected to the brushes, and 12 volt current is applied to the mass and plus voltage regulator. The indicator light should be on, and when the voltage increases (15 V or more). goes out.
Checking alternator brushes with a light bulb
Another way, using tester (multimeter). Turn on the onboard voltage, do not start the engine. the voltage should be within 12 V. Then measure the voltage on the battery terminals and alternator terminals with the engine running. Current should be between 13-14.7 volts. If you can see a bigger variation, it’s overcharging (most likely a faulty regulator). And if the deviation to a smaller side, something with brushes or current flow.
If the design of the car does not provide for checking and replacing the brushes on the spot, you will have to first dismantle the current conversion device. For example, this is how most modifications of Kia RIO are set up.
How to change brushes in Bosch alternator regulators.
Below are detailed instructions on how to remove the alternator when the engine protection is not affected:
- Lift the hood of the car.
- Remove the battery terminals so they are not short-circuited.
- Unscrew upper bolt of mounting bracket on which the generator is fastened.
- Loosen the lower mounting bolt. There is no need to unscrew it entirely, you only need to reduce the force on the belt tensioner.
- Loosen the tension and take off the belt.
- Disconnect the voltage plug.
- Pull the alternator towards yourself, unscrew the wire and remove the device.
- Dismantle the rear cover by unscrewing the nuts with a 8 head.
- Use a 7 head to unscrew the nuts fixing the brush unit.
- Pull out and remove the tablet with graphite elements.
Next you need to inspect the condition of the brushes. If they need to be replaced, you must remove them from the unit and install new ones. You can also replace the whole tab, but it will cost more. If you know how to handle the soldering iron, the costs can be significantly reduced and saved. The task is simple. to unsolder back ends of ember so that details fall out of their seats.
When installing new brushes, do not forget to insert the springs first. Under each carbon there is a spring that holds the elements inside the sockets of the tablet. It is also desirable to replace them with new ones. they are included in the set.
Bosch alternator relay regulator.
Relay regulator of an alternator ( Bosch ) can be different types of performance, depending on the make and year of manufacture of the car. In order to buy an alternator relay Bosch, you need to know the make of car, year of manufacture, preferably the number of the alternator or relay regulator.
Bosch A three-level voltage regulator in an alternator. logbook Opel Vectra on DRIVE2
The following description is for a Bosch amp alternator, catalog number and type can be viewed without disassembly.
In general, we will need or may need: To bulkhead should not be a problem if you were able to remove the generator, and rebuild it will not be a problem: Next, everything is simple. solder old brushes, install and relay alternator Opel Vectra b new brushes, do not forget about the spring, bushing, I left the old. My old brushes were already on the edge and were touching the contacts just a little bit.
Do not forget to rivet or clamp the pill with small screws. Installing the three-level voltage regulator.
Since the alternator is disassembled and I’ve been wanting to stitch this regulator together for a long time, why not. Quote Stitchy A man came in with a Vectra B who was annoyed by the constant noise from the engine.
My first guess was the alternator belt tensioner roller, but after replacing the roller the situation has not changed. We replaced the alternator with another one, after a complete overhaul, that is, with the replacement of all bearings and brushes, the noise is still there. Noise was clearly coming from the alternator.
The one after the reassembly was spun before putting it on and it did not make any noise. To remove the fuse, use tweezers to remove the fuse from the connector.
Remove the fuse from the tweezers. The wire inside the fuse is easy to see and will break if the fuse blows.
Always replace the fuse with another fuse of the same rating. Never replace the fuse more than once without determining the cause of the blown fuse.
The alternator brushes a detail that is present in almost every alternator.
The more modern a car is, especially a foreign car, the more electric consumers are in it, which somehow make the life of the car owner easier. Accordingly, the auto generator, which supplies electricity to all consumers in the car, plays an increasingly important role among the car units.
What are the generator brushes for??
With the help of alternator brushes voltage from the regulator relay is brought to the excitation winding of the rotor. The collector rings are fixed on the rotor The rotor collector to which the brushes are fitted tightly. In order to supply the voltage regulator current to the rotor coil, the brushes must be in a defined position and pressed against the collector rings with a defined force. To do this, they are mounted in the seats of the brush holder and from the opposite side they are compressed by a spring.
Material from which the brushes of alternators of foreign manufacturers are made, a mixture of copper and graphite, differs from the domestic ones with better wear resistance and conductivity. For this reason it is not recommended to install this element from domestic cars on foreign cars.
How do you know when you need to replace the alternator brushes?
- The mileage of the car, 150-200 thousand. km. is the term when the part is well worn.
- The battery charge indicator light comes on and goes out again. It can go on like this for days until the badge finally lights up.
- Loss of power or voltage drop due to loose fit of worn part.
- Voltage spikes in the car onboard network can indicate a defective part.
- If a lot of engine oil or other technical fluid gets on the alternator, in which case the part is subject to increased wear.
How to check if the alternator brushes really need to be replaced?
To determine the causes of failure is necessary to disassemble the generator and inspect the alternator brushes they should be long enough and in contact with the contact rings.
If the remaining length of at least one element is less than 3 mm, it must be replaced in any case. Also brushes of an alternator must be well movable in their seats, have approximately equal residual length, must not be dirty, springs must press with equal force.
How to change the brushes on the alternator? Procedure.
On many modern alternators brushes are made in one piece with voltage regulator, for example it is true for firms Valeo, Bosch, Mitsubishi, Magneti Marelli from company Denso voltage regulator is made separately from brush unit.
To replace the alternator brushes, if they are built into a voltage regulator, you will need a soldering iron 40-100W, solder, flux, drill 1,5-3 mm, a drill or an electric screwdriver, and a tool for removing the regulator.
- Remove protective cover
- Remove the voltage regulator (or brush node)
- On the side where the brush harness is fastened drill out the contact so that the rest of the part comes out. Try not to damage the spring, which is located inside the brush unit.
- Take the new brushes, check whether they move freely in their seats
- Insert spring and show harness in hole, so it has necessary working length.
- Solder the contact place, cut off the rest of the harness.
- Assemble everything in the reverse order.
For some AVRs it is possible to replace alternator brushes, and for some parts replacement is impossible, you can replace AVR complete.
For example on Bosch alternators from about 2000 year, relay regulator is complete with brushes, replacement is not possible.
We can perform replacement of alternator brushes Bosch, Valeo, Denso, Mitsubishi, Ford Focus 2, Hyundai, Kia, Toyota and others.
In order to buy generator brushes you need to know their size, a sample or brand or model of the unit.
The most common sizes of brushes for an alternator are as follows: 4618, 5820, 5615, 4719, 5715. Для различных производителей размеры: длинна, ширина, высота могут быть разными.
In our service center you can make free generator diagnostics, replacement of alternator brushes or just buy alternator brushes.