DIY Potato Digger For Tiller
Parts are connected with fasteners, electric or gas welding. Bolted connections are preferable because they make it possible to disassemble and reassemble the unit.
The base is made of rectangular or square pipe with sides of 4 cm or more. Support beams are made from a 4-meter piece of metal. It is cut into lengths of 80 and 120 cm, from which a rectangular frame is welded. The corners are connected by gas or electric welding.
Rods and their fasteners
The lintels are welded to the frame, but not in the middle of the sides, but at a quarter of the length from the edge. Support tubes are welded vertically on the back of the frame, and the base for the axis is attached to them.
For fastening, nuts and bolts are used, holes are made with a drill or an engraver. Wheels are installed on the axle.
How to make a homemade device with your own hands
Even a novice master will be able to make a potato digger for a tiller with his own hands. The manufacture of the unit does not require significant financial costs. The unit turns out to be simple, so you do not need to involve specialists to repair and maintain it.
A device for digging potatoes is made of bent metal sheet and rods. Parts are welded and attached to the body. the tiller moves, the tines rake out the potatoes, and the earth wakes up between the rods.
When drawing up a drawing for a potato digger with your own hands, the size and type of construction are selected based on the width of the row spacing and the planting depth.
The fan-shaped structure is also called lancet, and it is considered one of the simplest. the tiller moves along the row, and special knives cut the ground deeper than the tubers lie. The potatoes, along with the soil, move to the twigs, and the earth crumbles through them. The fan-type digger has shown itself well on loose, soft soils. The disadvantage is that the knives get stuck on an uneven area, which slows down the work.
Fan potato digger
Wheels are an essential part of the potato digger. The ease of movement along the rows depends on the width of the tires: when driving, narrow wheels fall into the ground, especially if it is wet. Tires from a garden wheelbarrow or other unnecessary device will do.
The drum unit allows you to quickly dig out potatoes over large areas. Digger components:
- rotating drum;
- ploughshare (knife);
A knife is attached to the frame by means of a hinge. While driving, he cuts the soil layer along with the tubers. The drum rotates, lumps break, soil particles spill through the bars. Potatoes move to the edge of the drum and fall to the ground.
Drum Potato Digger
The knife cuts the soil so deep that it grabs all the potatoes. Moving inside the drum, tubers are not damaged. The unit is characterized by high productivity and allows you to harvest almost without losses.
Potato digger for tiller and how to assemble it yourself?
the tiller is convenient for digging up potatoes in small and medium areas. Manual labor will take a long time, and heavy equipment is unprofitable to use in a small area. A homemade potato digger for a tiller is a convenient device with which crop losses will be minimal. It works according to the following principle: the rods are immersed in the ground, pick up the tubers and one by one they get them to the surface.
How to make a digger (potato digger) for a tiller with your own hands:
a) it is necessary to assemble a welded frame from a special corner with dimensions 63×40, an iron channel (preferably number 8) and metal plates of 8 mm each;
b) with the help of plates we make a ploughshare; you can make it from a simple circulation plate;
c) we attach the finished share to the elevator casing using 4 bolts, which we tighten with nuts;
d) from two metal cases of a cylindrical shape we will make an editorial unit.
Masina recoltat cartofi | Homemade potato digger machine.
They are made in the form of a sleeve and a glass, which interconnect two steel shafts, leading and driven. These shafts must necessarily rotate easily, and special sprockets must be fitted onto the prismatic keys themselves, to which the hubs are welded. It is best to make them from a gas pipe about 25 mm in size.
The round sharpening of the part will help avoid cutting the potatoes. By changing the attachment of the casing to the frame, you can change the inclination of the elevator, as well as the angle for digging holes.
A do-it-yourself potato digger for a mini tractor will require certain skills from you. Not a single digger for a tiller can do without a cleaning drum. The process of creating it is quite difficult, but with the right approach, it will not take you much time. The main structure consists of two roller chains, which have 94 links, and it is slipped onto the rods. This design, due to its shape, is called “squirrel wheel”. For strength, this wheel must be secured to two bent discs. You can use a rim from a bicycle wheel instead of discs.
Next, we weld the “squirrel wheel” to the discs and then fix it on two welded fixed axles, where it will rotate. The shaft rotates on bearings, and with it the driven sprockets will rotate, which drive the drum itself.
For the slider, fluoroplastic is best suited; the chain-bar tape will easily slide over it. The tape looks very much like a “squirrel wheel”, but on it the rods are much shorter and there are fewer of them. Sliders also serve as support and protect the chain from damage.
The easiest way to make a support-transport unit for a potato digger. Everyone can make it according to their own calculations based on the method of planting and processing potatoes. As a rule, no special difficulties arise when creating this node. The same mechanisms are used in potato harvesters.
Today there are several basic methods for growing potatoes, but the Dutch system remains the most popular. It is distinguished by its versatility and high yield. Even in case of unfavorable weather conditions, you will get an excellent harvest of potatoes. The existing methods can significantly reduce time, costs and your efforts thanks to the automated digger of potatoes for mini tractors and tillers.
Digger (potato digger) for the tiller with his own hands
October 15, 2013. Read 26145 times
- Step-by-step assembly instructions.
- Illustrative drawings.
Each owner of a summer cottage or his own house has repeatedly encountered planting, harvesting potatoes. This monotonous long process often takes a lot of time and effort. But today there is an opportunity to make a digger for a tiller with your own hands, the structure and principle of operation of which we will consider in our article. Thanks to this innovation, the entire potato processing process can be fully automated. The digger will help not only dig up the crop, but also plant the potatoes to a sufficient depth. Factory diggers for the tiller also appeared on sale, but they are disproportionately expensive. We offer you step-by-step instructions on how to assemble a potato digger with your own hands. Which potato digger is better? Of course, the one that you do with your own hands.
Below is an example in the photo of one of the tiller’s potato diggers.
Thanks to its simple design, potato cultivation can be almost completely automated.
A drawing of a homemade potato digger (adapter) for the tiller is presented below:
Homemade potato digger to tiller
We also offer you to watch homemade diggers in the video below.
How to make a potato digger for a tiller with your own hands?
If you want to dig potatoes with a tiller, but you do not have the funds to buy a potato digger, then you can make equipment suitable for work with your own hands. To assemble the simplest potato digger yourself, you will need:
- sheet metal from which the share will be made. The thickness of the material should be no more than 5 mm;
- reinforcement or circle made of solid steel, which will be required to make a seeder. The diameter of the part must be at least 10 cm;
- a strip of steel or a channel, at least 1 cm thick. you need to make a suspension device from it;
- 3-cm corner, which is designed to strengthen the structure;
- welding machine;
- set of fasteners.
After preparing the tools and materials, be sure to study the drawing. With the help of the diagram, it will be much easier for you to figure out what dimensions the parts should have, and how to fasten the elements used for assembly. The production of the simplest potato digger for a tiller is performed in the following order:
- First you need to bend the steel sheet. This is done in such a way that the final product resembles in its shape a dovetail cultivator. Immediately before bending the steel, it must be preheated using a gas burner. Hand forge the edges of the shovel to make the shovel reliable enough. At the end, be sure to harden the metal;
- Weld metal rods to the back of the shovel. At the same time, make sure that the working surface of the product remains as hard as possible;
- Alternatively, you can use old circular saw blades to make a share. They are made of very durable steel, thanks to which the share made from them will last as long as possible. To make a potato digger element, cut two pieces from the discs and weld them together at an angle. After that, do not forget to temper the finished part;
- As a stand, you can use a holder from an old hand plow. You cannot use channels or corners for this, since with such a detail, digging potatoes with a tiller will be very inconvenient, and, moreover, a risky task;
- For the manufacture of a suspension, you can take a channel. Make holes in it so that during work you can adjust the depth of the ploughshare’s immersion in the soil.
A home-made potato digger made in this way is capable of serving for a fairly long time. With such a design, the digging of potatoes with a tiller can be carried out even in late autumn, during the period of the first frosts.
Types of potato diggers to tiller
All potato diggers available on the market are divided into several types. Depending on the design features, the following types of equipment are distinguished:
- simple or fan potato diggers. in its shape, the fan potato digger resembles a heart-shaped shovel without a shank with long teeth in the upper part. Such a potato digger for a tiller works according to the following principle: at the beginning of work, a shovel with scoring knives goes deep into the ground, lifting it together with the tubers. After that, the lancet shovel is lifted, the soil wakes up through it, and the potatoes remain on the device. At the end, the tubers roll down and remain on the ground. Potato diggers of this type are also divided among themselves according to the type of soil for which they can be used. For this factor, designs differ for light, medium and heavy soil;
- vibrating devices or, as they are also called, screening type potato diggers. this type includes more sophisticated equipment. The vibrating potato digger is equipped with a ploughshare, and on its wheels there are grids for sifting the soil. During operation, the roaring potato digger digs in the soil, and then directs it and the potatoes to the grate. Thus, mechanical sieving is provided for in the design of this type of equipment. This type includes the popular potato diggers KKM-1 and KVM-3;
- conveyor potato diggers. this category includes equipment with the most complex design. The conveyor potato digger is equipped with a special belt on which soil and tubers fall. As a result of the movement of the belt, the soil is sifted, and the potatoes fall to the ground, where they await further harvest.
All of these devices are also divided among themselves in terms of size and scope. By size, the devices are divided into mini diggers, medium and large ones.
structure. The digger for a tiller of the first type is intended for use on summer cottages with an area of no more than 5 acres. Such attachments for a tiller are of modest size, which makes them quite maneuverable. The potato digger for a tiller of the second type can be used in vegetable gardens with an area of 5 to 15 acres. The large potato digger is designed primarily for harvesting large plots in private and state farms, ranging from 15 to 50 acres and more.
How to create a potato digger for a tiller with your own hands
The assembly process is regulated by the basic rules, as well as by the features of the device. Each type of mechanism has its own order and assembly conditions. Except for the standard rules, several conditions must be met:
- the connection of structural elements is carried out on the basis of the existing platform or eye;
- it is the supporting element of the structure that is initially installed;
- fitting of parts is in accordance with the parameters indicated in the drawing or diagram;
- the assembly process is decomposed into stages, depending on the complexity of the design;
- the last stage is the fitting of the structure to the technique and the test run.
The last stage in the assembly is the most important, as it allows you to eliminate deficiencies even before the start of the main workflow.
The most difficult option is to create a homemade roaring (vibration structure). Self-assembly process:
- the first stage is considered the moment of creating the frame;
- the frame is constructed from 4 corners: 2. 0.8 m each, 2. 1.2 m each;
- several jumpers are fixed on the resulting rectangle, through which the equipment is controlled due to the vertical thrust;
- the shaft for the wheel system is attached;
- several racks and a metal sheet are installed on them;
- after that, a lattice base is created;
- the last step is the installation of wheels and adjusting rods.
The potato planter on the tiller is considered ready after checking the work, and not after fixing the entire structure.
With small errors in the calculations, the structure may have defects or incorrectly carry out the process of assembling the tubers. If you do not follow the established calculations and parameters of the scheme, then installing the mechanism on the equipment itself will become problematic. It is necessary in the manufacturing process to constantly carry out reconciliation in size with the required dimensions.
Most homemade options have a simpler collection scheme than the type presented. For example, the fan type, that is, the usual pointed potato planter on the tiller, is easy to assemble. A knife is installed on the base, including from corners and several mounts, which is surrounded by rows of metal pins. The main point is the correct placement of the rods, as this will affect the assembly efficiency.
It is worth considering that the independent creation of a mechanism can be carried out based on individual preferences. For example, a conveyor is often used that allows you to collect root crops in a specific place.
Many types of homemade structures are universal and differ from conveyor models only in parameters and dimensions.
Harvesting root crops using a tiller and devices installed on it is preferable to a manual method. The potato digger can either be purchased for a specific model of equipment, or you can design it yourself. Each type of mechanism has its own characteristics and difficulties in manufacturing.
Drawings and diagrams of a homemade potato digger for a tiller
Homemade potato diggers for tiller
First of all, we assemble a welded frame from metal plates (8 mm), an iron channel and a special corner (63×40). Using the plates we make a share. We install the manufactured plowshares on the elevator casing using four bolts and tighten with nuts.
We make an editorial unit using two cylindrical metal bodies.
They are made in the form of a glass and a sleeve connecting the driven and driving steel shafts. They should be easy to rotate. Special sprockets with welded hubs are mounted on prismatic keys. They are made from a pipe with a size of 25 mm.
In order to avoid cutting the potatoes, the sharpening of the part must be round. If you change the fastening of the casing to the frame, then the elevator tilt and the hole digging angle will change. To make a homemade potato digger, certain skills are required. No potato digger is complete without a cleaner drum.
It is not easy to create, but if you use the right approach, it will take very little time. The main structure contains two roller chains with 94 links and is worn on the rods. Because of its shape, this design is called a squirrel wheel. This wheel, for greater strength, is fixed on two bent discs. Instead of discs, you can use a bicycle wheel rim.
After the “squirrel wheel” has been welded to the disks, for its rotation it is fixed on two welded fixed axles. The rotation of the shaft takes place on bearings, with which the driven sprockets rotate, driving the drum.
For the manufacture of a slider, it is best to use a fluoroplastic. In this case, the chain bar tape will slide easily. In appearance, the tape looks like a “squirrel wheel”, but there are fewer rods and they are much shorter. Sliders serve as support to protect the chain from damage.
The easiest potato digger to manufacture is a support-transport unit. Based on the method of processing and planting potatoes, anyone can make it. During the creation of such nodes, there should not be any special difficulties. Similar mechanisms are used in potato harvesters.
Tiller potato digger, homemade
Nowadays, almost no one digs up garden plots by hand, because modern equipment for caring for a summer cottage and a personal plot has become available. Now a new technique is widely used and often a potato digger for a tiller is made for them, homemade, below we describe several manufacturing options.
Many people who work in the field know firsthand how difficult it is to grow and harvest their own potatoes. To facilitate the harvesting of potatoes, man came up with a special invention. a potato digger. Our ancestors used a shovel for this, but a mechanical device for automatic collection of potatoes was specially created for us. The purpose of the potato digger is to separate the tubers from the soil and place them on the surface of the ground.
There is now a large selection of factory options for this device. But if the gardener is more or less experienced, it will not be difficult for him to independently assemble a potato digger that is not inferior to factory samples.