How To Remove A Reel From A Lawn Mower
Some spools provide a second method of securing the cord: you can charge 2 pieces of thread instead of one folded in half. The line is replaced according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or loading a new thread into the spool, determine how many meters it will take using the method described above.
- Bend one end of the cord into a hook.
- Find the hole in the bottom of the bobbin for the line to be fixed, and insert the looped end of the thread into it.
- It is required to wind the cord according to the direction of the arrow to the required level not exceeding the spool diameter.
- Do the same for the second bobbin compartment.
- The assembly of the head is no different from the method that was given when threading the bobbin with a half-folded piece of fishing line was considered.
For Shtil lawn mowers, there is a very simple and quick way to change the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can familiarize yourself with by watching this video.
The ends of the cord protruding from the holes in the casing can be cut to the desired length when the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- turning on the trimmer (when rotating, the ends of the fishing line will be cut off against the knife fixed for this purpose on the protective casing);
- cutting off the excess ends with scissors so that they do not touch the casing body.
The second method is used if it was necessary to supply a large diameter cord, and the edging knife cannot shorten it.
If the filament has been loaded into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is insufficient, then they must be lengthened before starting the machine. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head when, due to the insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they do not automatically lengthen. In this case, it is necessary to turn off the unit (on an electrical device, it is necessary to unplug the plug from the socket), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part and pull out a little line. After this procedure, the cord can again be extended due to centrifugal force if you set the maximum spindle speed.
No matter how thick the line you set, you should remember: in order not to constantly interrupt work and not change the line, you should avoid areas where the working tool can touch hard surfaces (stones, curbs, thick dry branches, etc.).
How to remove and disassemble a coil
Before starting the cord replacement process, trimmer users need to remove and disassemble the reel. Let’s see how to do it.
The trimmer mowing head consists of several parts: a cover, a spring (not on all models), a bobbin with a cord and a cover.
Attention! Before proceeding with any maintenance of the electrical unit, it must be disconnected from the mains.
In trimmers, 2 options for mounting the mowing head are most often used.
If the line breaks frequently, this may be due to the following reasons:
- stones, small branches and other solid obstacles come across in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, then it breaks off the “antennae” even faster;
- poor quality of the cord (it is recommended to purchase a quality one);
- the outlet holes in the mowing head are worn out, due to which the line is erased on the sharp edges of the bushings and breaks off (a complete replacement of the part will be required).
High cord consumption
In general, the cord runs out quickly if the semi-automatic head is tapped frequently on the ground or if it is pressed down hard. The spool is unlocked, and the line, lengthening, is cut with a knife. Another reason that the cord runs out quickly is the improper operation of the machine with an automatic head: the user often cuts the engine speed when mowing. But as we remember, the automatic head is designed in such a way that it is with each decrease in speed that a new portion of the line is supplied, so it is quickly consumed.
The first way
To correctly determine how many meters of line is required for a particular reel, it is necessary to wind it on the bobbin so that the skein does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line sticks out over the edges of the spool, you will not be able to insert it into the casing. After you have decided on the length of the material, it must be threaded into the bobbin, so do the following.
- It is necessary to fold the fishing line in half so that one end of it is 10-15 cm longer from the other.
- Please note that the bobbin is divided into 2 parts by a central border, from which charging begins. Find a groove on it and insert a cord bent in half into it, applying a little force.
- It is very important to determine in which direction the line is wound onto the reel. If you look closely, you can find an arrow on the bobbin or an inscription with an arrow indicating in which direction the winding should be carried out. There are times when there is no arrow on the reel. In such a situation, you can look at the arrow drawn on the mowing head and wind the cord in the opposite direction.
- Winding should be done carefully, turn by turn, with maximum thread tension.
- After the laying of the cord is completed, you will first need to fix the short end of the line by inserting it into a groove of a suitable diameter on the side of the reel.
- The second end, the one that is longer, is attached in a groove on the opposite side of the bobbin.
- After fixing the fishing line, cut off its ends, leaving an allowance of about 10 cm.
- Next, you need to install the loaded bobbin into the mowing head. To do this, alternately inserting and pulling the thread into the outlet holes of the head, place the bobbin in the casing, then, applying the required force, pull the line out of the fixing grooves and tighten it.
- Now you can put on the cover and fix it with the latches.
The line is flying out
The reason that the cord unwinds after starting the unit can also be a weakening of the spring inside the head. In addition, there are times when the mowing head flies apart when the machine is turned on, and the spring installed in it is lost. Inexperienced users do not notice the absence of a spring and assemble this unit without it. Therefore, the cord does not hold, and under the influence of centrifugal force flies out.
How to change the line in the trimmer
The trimmer is the most common machine used for cutting grass and small bushes. This device is distinguished by its simplicity in service, simple operation during operation, and due to its low weight, even women can handle it. It is no secret that for high-quality performance of work on mowing grass, the correct selection of cutting tools is required. As the latter, special cutting attachments (discs, knives) or trimmer heads with a fishing line inside are used in trimmers. Nozzles and line are consumable tools, but if the knives can be sharpened, then when the line is used up, it must be replaced. In this article, we will tell you in as much detail as possible how to properly replace the fishing line.
- Install the new ignition coil in reverse order.
On cars Lada Vesta, XRAY, Largus, Priora, Granta, Kalina, Lada 4 × 4), all actions are performed in the same way.
Replacing spark plugs
You will need: wait until the engine has cooled down, as well as a high spark plug head, depending on the engine:
- H4M: “at 14”;
- K4M, K7M, VAZ-21129, VAZ-21179, etc. 16kl VAZ engines: “16”;
- VAZ engines 8 cl: “21”.
- Depending on the engine: Disconnect the high-voltage wire (pull) or remove the individual ignition coil (see above)
- Clean out all dirt from the spark plug well (clean with a narrow, hard brush, then blow with compressed air) to avoid dirt getting into the engine cylinder.
- Unscrew the spark plug and remove from the spark plug well.
- Screw in the candle by hand (without a wrench).
- Tighten the spark plug to a torque of 31-39 Nm. (overtightening spark plugs can damage the threads).
The process is also shown in
The 2111 (1.5i) engine can be fitted with an ignition module or ignition coil. The 11183 (1.6i) engine has ignition coils.
To perform work on replacing the ignition coil, you will need a multimeter.
Replacing individual ignition coils
The engine has four individual ignition coils (one for each cylinder). The ignition coils are attached directly to the spark plugs, and there are no high voltage wires.
You will need: disconnect the minus wire from the battery and prepare a key, depending on the engine:
- for VAZ 21126, VAZ 21127, VAZ-21129 and VAZ-21179: TorX E8;
- on K4M: key “for 8”;
- on other VAZ engines (including Renault H4M): key “10”.
- Remove the plastic engine cover (pull up, overcoming the resistance of the clips).
- Remove the block with wires from the ignition coil (press the latch).
- Remove the ignition coil mounting bolt.
- Remove the ignition coil by pulling it up.
- Apply a special dielectric high-temperature grease to the inner surface of the coil ends with a 2 mm roller (for example, General Motors 12345579, Renault 8200168855, Beru 0890300029, DoneDeal Silicon Dielectric Grease, etc.).
- Install the coil on the engine in reverse order.
The process is also shown in
When replacing spark plugs, it is often necessary to face a problem when the strength of the hands to remove the ignition coils is not enough. In the next issue of the “Technical Environment” expert of the magazine “Behind the wheel” Gennady Emelkin will tell you what he prefers to use.
All questions and suggestions regarding the series of issues “Technical environment” send to email@example.com.
Other issues of “Technical Environment” are available in our special project, as well as on our Youtube channel.
How to remove a reel from a lawn mower
Free technical library:
▪ All articles A-Z
▪ Encyclopedia of Radio Electronics and Electrical Engineering
▪ Science and technology news
▪ Magazines, books, collections
▪ Articles archive and search
▪ Schemes, service manuals
▪ Electronic directories
▪ Operating instructions
▪ Your life stories
▪ At leisure
▪ Random articles
▪ Website reviews
▪ Big encyclopedia for children and adults
▪ Biographies of great scientists
▪ Major scientific discoveries
▪ Children’s Science Laboratory
▪ Job descriptions
▪ Home workshop
▪ Life of great physicists
▪ Factory technology at home
▪ Riddles, puzzles, trick questions
▪ Tools and mechanisms for agriculture
▪ The art of audio
▪ The art of video
▪ History of technology, technology, objects around us
▪ And then the inventor appeared (TRIZ)
▪ Lecture notes, cheat sheets
▪ Winged words, phraseological units
▪ Personal transport: land, water, air
▪ Lovers of travel. tourist advice
▪ Regulatory documentation on labor protection
▪ Experiments in physics
▪ Experiments in chemistry
▪ Fundamentals of Safe Life (LSB)
▪ Fundamentals of First Aid (PMP)
▪ Labor protection
▪ Electronics and electrical engineering
▪ Builder, home craftsman
▪ Typical OSH instructions (POI)
▪ Wonders of nature
▪ Spy stuff
▪ Electrician in the house
▪ Spectacular tricks and their solutions
▪ Diagrams and service manuals
▪ Books, magazines, collections
▪ Parameters of radio components
▪ Operating instructions
▪ Encyclopedia of Radio Electronics and Electrical Engineering
Free article archive
(200,000 articles in the Archive)
Alphabetical index of articles in books and magazines
▪ Your stories
▪ Riddles for adults and children
▪ Did you know that.
▪ Visual illusions
▪ Fun puzzles
▪ Vivasan catalog
▪ Assembling Rubik’s Cube
Design and support:
When using materials from the site, a link to https://www.diagram.com.ua is required
made in Ukraine
How to remove a coil from a magnetic circuit
McLane Reel Mower engine and roller upgrade
When removing a coil from a non-separable steel magnetic circuit (whose plates are riveted or welded with a transverse seam), one often has to deal with the fact that its frame tightly “sticks” to the metal. Attempts to apply force tend to break the frame.
In many such cases, heating of the magnetic circuit helps. To do this, with a ninety-watt electric soldering iron, I heat the magnetic circuit from the protruding end and periodically try to remove the coil from it. After warming up to the desired temperature, the magnetic core gently exits the frame.
See other articles of the section Amateur radio technologies.
Read and write helpful comments on this article.
We recommend downloading from our Free Technical Library:
Leave your comment on this article:
The mechanism is hinged, due to which the device tilts in different directions. The cutter spool can be positioned perpendicular to the ground. There are no ventilation slots, which protects the device from water ingress, so the grass can be mowed in the early morning (when there is dew) or immediately after rain.
Filling the line in the electric braid
Let’s consider how to thread the line into the reel yourself. First you need to remove the coil and the protective cover from it. Select the line, cut the required amount.
We begin to wind on the reel: for this, we fix one end of the fishing line into the gap, carefully wind the fishing line. The line must be wound so that the protective casing closes quietly, the line can unwind on its own. We insert the other end into the hole in the protective casing. We take the coil and cover. We draw the end of the line into the hole in the cover and pull the line a little.
We put this design on the trimmer. We turn the coil clockwise until a specific click. We fix it. We connect the braid to the network. The trimmer should be in the starting position. We turn it on. Extra centimeters of line will cut off the trimming blade.
When cutting, the line should not come into contact with hard objects, because they tear the line. If the line feed in the device is not automatic, then the driver will have to stop often, remove the reel and rewind the line.
It should be noted that there are line options that are adapted to coarse weeds. It looks like a pigtail, it has its own specific coil.
For an overview of the Stihl electrocos, see the following video.
The trimmer, whether petrol or electric, is the only solution for cutting grass in hard-to-reach places that a wheeled lawnmower cannot handle. As a cutting tool in trimmers, metal knives or special fishing line are used, which is tucked into the trimmer coil. But, unfortunately, the trimmer heads become unusable over time during operation. Some malfunctions can be eliminated by hand, and some require a complete replacement of the mowing head.
Trimmer coil device
Trimmer mowing heads come in a variety of designs, both simple and complex. The picture below shows an exploded view of the Husqvarna (Husqvarna) semi-automatic trimmer head.
This type of head is found on most lawn mowers and trimmers such as Stihl (Stihl), Patriot (Patriot), Champion (Champion), Bosch (Bosch), Huter (Huter) and others. The device of the mowing head is quite simple. It includes the following details:
- mowing head base;
- button for semi-automatic cord feed;
- bobbin (spool) into which the line is tucked;
- eyes. through them the line comes out;
- trimmer head cover;
- line (cord).
There are also simpler trim heads shown in the following photo.
All these attachments do not allow you to change the length of the line in a semi-automatic mode (after pressing a button). If the cord breaks, you have to stop the mower and change it manually.
Cordless lawn mower
Ideal for those who do not want to breathe gasoline exhaust, as well as depend on electricity. The machine consists of a robust plastic housing and a compact grass catcher. The volume of the collection box depends on the model.
Such devices are silent, reliable and safe to use.
How to remove the spool and replace the line
Trimmer owners, mostly beginners, find themselves in confusion, bordering on panic, when they need to change the cutting tool or line in the reel. Very often, when trying to unscrew the mowing head, users simply render it unusable, not suspecting that it is unscrewing in the opposite direction. To prevent this from happening, if you need to replace the tool, it is recommended that you read the step-by-step instructions below.
- Stop the mowers engine or power off the trimmer before threading the line into the spool to avoid injury from accidental starting rotation of the cutting tool.
- Unscrew the nozzle attached to the gearbox shaft. To do this, the shaft must be fixed by aligning the holes on the washer and on the axle, and inserting a metal rod or screwdriver into them.
- Unscrew the nozzle. You should be aware that the thread on the shaft is left-handed. Therefore, turn the trimmer coil to the right, that is, clockwise.
- Disassemble the mowing head. Most often, the head cover is attached with clips. To remove it, you will need to sink these clips into the case, pressing the edges of the cover. If your trimmer has a semi-automatic mowing head with a button on the bottom, then the disassembly of the attachment should be done carefully, since you can lose the spring, which sometimes flies out when the cover is removed.
- Cut off the required amount of line. Usually its length is 5 meters. Use a cord of the same diameter as indicated in the instructions for the tool. It is not recommended to exceed the maximum line diameter as this will result in increased engine load and higher gas mileage.
- Find the midpoint of the line by folding it in half. You will have a loop.
- Special grooves are cut inside the coil (there may be holes). Insert a loop of line into this groove.
- Wind the line around the spool by turning it counterclockwise. It is necessary to fill in the cord as evenly as possible, the turns should lie down without overlap and with good tension. When winding is complete, leave free ends of the line about 20 cm long and fix them in the grooves on the sides of the reel.
- Assemble the mowing head. Remember to insert the spring and washer (if equipped) before final assembly of the accessory. Place the spool in the body and thread the ends of the cord through the holes or eyelets.
- Put on the cover and secure it with the latches.
- Screw the adapter back onto the gearbox shaft, also securing it with a screwdriver. You will need to twist the trimmer coil to the left (counter-clockwise).
Is it possible to make a coil for a trimmer with your own hands
- Take a piece of plywood or PCB and draw a circle about 14 cm in diameter on it.
- Cut the disc with a jigsaw or metal saw.
- Drill a hole in the center of the disc that matches the diameter of the gearbox shaft. Do not forget to put a washer on it before installing the disc on the shaft.
- Small corners can be screwed on the edges of the disc or 1-2 holes can be made on opposite sides. They will serve for refueling the fishing line in them.
- Several screws can be screwed into the plywood to secure the line.
This homemade mowing head is secured to the shaft with a nut. It will not work to tighten or unscrew the nut without fixing the shaft. To replace the cord, it will be enough to loosen the screws, insert a piece of fishing line of the required length and press it again.
Also, the mowing attachment for attaching the fishing line to it can be made of metal sheet. How to do this can be understood from the following video.
The method of attachment of attachments may be different for different models. But in general terms, the design is very similar. Here are step by step instructions:
- Find the hole in the gearbox cup (it is located either on top or on the side) and align it with the hole in the shaft hub.
- Pass a hex key or metal rod through the hole in the gearbox to prevent the shaft from turning.
- Hold the key with one hand and unscrew the spool with the line with the other (usually turn clockwise).
- Remove the coil.
Disconnect the tool from the mains before removing the line from the trimmer. If you have a lawn mower, be sure to turn off the engine.
Popular electrocos models
One of the most popular options is the Stihl FSE-81 electric scythe. This is one of the most powerful lawn trimmers available. This machine includes the AutoCut C5-2 mower headset, designed for working in small areas. It is convenient for her to mow next to flower beds, borders. She cleans well the area around shrubs and trees, and also carefully works the paths.
This scythe has a number of advantages in that it electronically adjusts the rpm. The design allows you to keep trees from damage. The circular handle allows you to perform high-quality work, maneuver, and also mow in hard-to-reach places. Easy to transport.
There are other options that have proven themselves in gardening.