How To Start A Lawn Mower After Winter
Starting the lawn mowers for the first time or after a long period of inactivity
A lawn mower differs from a trimmer in that it is not a fishing line that acts as a grass cutter, but a mechanical reducer or a gear-based winch equipped with a knife. The knife drive is much more powerful than the forestry mechanism. a powerful lawn mower is also used when cutting bushes. Both Chinese and European lawn mowers are no different when the declared power is real.
To lubricate the gears of the reducer, lithol or grease is used. After checking the gearbox, prepare the motor itself for work. according to the above instructions. If the start fails, the problem is already in the engine.
How to start a petrol trimmer?
- How to start a trimmer motor or lawn mowers?
- Starting the lawn mowers for the first time or after a long period of inactivity
- Adding fuel through the spark plug holes
- Checking the ignition system
- Cleaning the engine
- Checking the integrity of the spark arrester
- Unstable carburetor operation
- Draining fuel from the gas tank
How to properly start the trimmer is a question that the owners are puzzled with in the event of a device breakdown. And after a successful repair of the trimmer, the owner tries to avoid repeating the same situation.
How to start a trimmer motor or lawn mowers?
The new trimmer is easy to commission.
- Check the motor type of the device. Trimmers are equipped with a 2- or 4-stroke motor.
- Buy oil for this type of motor. Gasoline for trimmer. AI-92/93/98, sold at all gas stations.
- Mix oil with gasoline. Mineral oil is mixed in a ratio of 1: 34 with gasoline, synthetics. in a 1: 50 ratio. Follow the trimmer manufacturer’s recommendations for oil viscosity (see the label on the flask). The most commonly used multigrade oil 5W-30. Do not use untested car oils.
- Pour a small amount (e.g. 0.5 liter) of the resulting fuel into the tank.
- Close the air damper by sliding the desired lever (see instructions).
- Turn the ignition key (or handle) to the on position. otherwise the trimmer will not start. Beginners often make this mistake.
- Pump some fuel into the carburetor. if there is a manual “rocker” with a separate button or lever (see instructions). It takes 4-7 clicks.
- Place the trimmer on a level surface.
- Pull on the starter cord gently until you feel it slow down. Then pull it out sharply, but not completely. Repeat this movement up to 4 more times.
- If the engine does not start, open the air damper again, otherwise the candles will flood with gasoline with further movements of the cord. Perform 2-3 attempts to start the engine with an open handbrake.
- If the engine still does not start, close the throttle and make several more attempts to start it.
- After starting the engine, press the throttle lever with idle.
Let the motor warm up. 5-10 minutes is enough. Do not start mowing immediately after a cold start. the trimmer motor should run in.
The reason why the trimmer fails may be:
- overflow of the tank;
- excessive pumping of fuel into engines equipped with a manual supercharger;
- wear in the motor of valves, cylinders, injectors, cam followers and other moving parts;
- the tanks are out of gasoline and / or oil;
- the spark plug is out of order;
- clogged fuel or air filters;
- the valves in the motor are out of alignment or burned.
The check begins with the presence of oil and fuel both in the tanks, and a small portion of it in the engine system. An “empty” engine will not start, despite a full tank, as well as an overfilled one.
Adding fuel through the spark plug holes
If the trimmer engine does not have manual pumping and the device does not start, add some fuel to the engine itself through the spark plugs. Do the following.
- Check if the fuel level in the tank is sufficient to drain a small amount. It only takes 20 ml.
- Remove the cap from the candle and unscrew it with a candle wrench.
- If the spark plug is dirty on a used trimmer, rinse and ignite it. There should be no deposits on the spark plug electrodes. Do not damage the center conductor ceramic insulator. In a new trimmer, check the spark plugs for a factory defect.
- Return the spark plug back and check the spark ignition (discharge between the electrodes) when the starter is triggered.
- Remove the candle again. Using a 20 or 50 cc syringe, pour 20 ml gasoline into the plug hole.
- Insert and fix the candle, setting the value of its technological gap at least and no more than a millimeter.
- Prime fuel using the priming button (or lever). if your trimmer model has one. Press the button every 4 seconds.
Now try to start the engine. Close the air damper immediately after starting.
Starting a warm engine
It’s very simple. Move the switch to the working position and pull the cord before starting. If you do everything according to the instructions, then there should be no problems with starting a working lawn mower.
How to start a petrol trimmer
The process of putting lawn mowers into operation, whether you bought it now or got it after winter storage, the rules listed below will allow you to avoid basic mistakes that can damage the tool.
Let’s say you just bought a petrol trimmer. Take the instructions out of the box and see if you have all the parts listed for the lawn mower. After that you can start assembling.
Starting lawn mowers with cold engine
To start the mower for the first time, locate the choke lever and place it in the closed position. Turn on the ignition on the handle. If your model has a manual fuel pump, popularly called suction, then press it 3-5 times until you see the fuel mixture inside the primer. The tool is now ready to run. Lay the trimmer on a flat surface to ensure a stable position. Smoothly pull the starter rope until you feel its resistance, and then with a sharp movement pull the rope towards you 3-5 times.
If the engine starts after 5 jerks, open the choke. If this does not happen, open the air damper anyway (if the damper is open and you continue trying to start the engine, the fuel will flood the spark plug and have to dry it, and this is a waste of time).
If the engine does not start when the throttle is open, close it and continue pulling the cord. The first start can be quite difficult and require up to 15 jerks. After the engine has started to work, press the throttle lever once, so you engage idle speed. Now let the engine run and warm up. After that, it can be stopped by pressing the “Stop” button.
Fuel mixture and refueling
For the convenience of preparing the fuel mixture, it is better to have a special canister. where one part contains gasoline, and the other 2-stroke oil. We recommend getting one like this, it is very convenient to use https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/dlya-benzopil/kanistryi/
Next, take a measuring container with a scale printed on it, with its help you can prepare the mixture as accurately and quickly as possible. Look in the instructions what brand of gasoline and 2-stroke oil https://ru-sad.ru/prinadlezhnosti-dlya-sadovoy-tehniki/masla-i-smazki/ are recommended by the manufacturer of your lawn mowers. Pour gasoline and oil into a container for preparing a fuel mixture, according to the proportions indicated in the instructions. Then carefully pour the prepared mixture through a funnel into the trimmer fuel tank. The ratio of gasoline and oil should be exactly as indicated in the instructions. This is a very important point.!
Basic startup errors
Let’s list the main mistakes that beginners make when starting a gasoline trimmer:
- starting the engine with the ignition off;
- start with a closed damper with the number of jerks more than 5 times;
- improper fuel mixture.
Why the tiller or cultivator won’t start
A mini tractor is considered a functional device. It is indispensable for housekeeping. Attached special equipment makes it possible to carry out processing of the territory, mowing grass, snow removal, transportation of goods, planting and harvesting. A situation often arises when the tiller does not start. The owner must establish the reason for the refusal and eliminate the damage.
Tiller launch after winter
Tiller owners often face such a problem when the equipment does not want to start after wintering. This is due to storage conditions. If the car was in a cold room with high humidity, then in the end you may encounter a number of serious breakdowns.
Before the first start in the spring, you must completely change the oil and fuel. Make sure liquids are at ambient temperature. this is extremely important.
You may find that the tiller will refuse to start immediately. And this is quite normal. Let the technique warm up a little. It should warm up even after starting the engine.
If, nevertheless, the launch of the tiller failed, you need to follow these steps:
- purge the fuel system. Remnants of gasoline or diesel could remain in it;
- check the spark plug. The contact can even be slightly cleaned with sandpaper;
- check all wires for breakage or damage.
Recommendations for launching individual tiller models
To start a Neva brand tiller, you need to take the following steps:
- Move the ignition switch to the “ON” position;
- Close the choke and open the gas tap;
- Set the throttle stick to ¾ from the maximum;
- Pull the starter rope;
- Open the air damper (in cold weather it is better to open it gradually over a minute).
To start a Patriot vehicle, follow these steps:
- Bring the throttle stick to the maximum position;
- Pull the cable firmly several times to purge, and then sharply and briefly to start the engine;
- Adjust throttle stick.
You can get a Ural brand tiller in the following way:
- Place the gear shift knob in neutral;
- Open the gas tap;
- Close the throttle almost to the stop and close the air damper (if the engine is not cold, you do not need to close the air damper);
- Start the engine with the cord.
When starting up and using tillers, follow their instructions. This will help avoid breakdowns and extend the operating life of the equipment.
Start-up difficulties indicate a malfunction of components and components. The success of repair work depends on the accuracy of the diagnosis. If deficiencies are found, they are engaged in repairing the diesel tiller. Service and minor repairs can be done on our own. You will need a set of keys, a locksmith mechanism and skilled hands.
At the stage of fuel preparation, the following incidents are likely:
- light filter does not let air in;
- the hole of the tank cover is boarded up;
- the fuel supply channel is littered;
- broken carburetor.
After a series of unsuccessful starts, it is advisable to unscrew the plug. The working part can be filled with fuel. In this case, dry the element, then pump the cylinder through the hole. We twist the candle and start it up again.
If the candle is dry, it means that no fuel enters the combustion chamber. Let’s perform several operations in turn to resume the feeding system:
- drain old gasoline;
- wash the tank;
- clean the special filter from dirt;
- clean the fuel supply hose;
- clean the carburetor jets;
- fill the tank with the cleanest fuel;
- open the tap;
- clean out the airway in the tire.
How to start a tiller correctly?
After you have bought your tiller, you should not start it immediately, even if the consultants assure you that the equipment is completely ready for use. You need to start with preparatory work.
To do this, you first need to check the engine oil level. There should be enough of it. If not, add oil. If you start the engine without oil, it will immediately fail. On sale you can find tillers, such as Caiman, which have an oil level sensor. If there is little or no lubricant at all, the engine simply won’t start. This is very convenient and significantly extends the life of your equipment.
After that you need to add fuel. At the time of purchase, check with a consultant or in the operating instructions for the type of gasoline that is right for your model of the tiller. If the unit has a two-stroke engine, then the fuel must be diluted with oil in a certain ratio. Never use low quality fuel or fuel that is not suitable for your tiller.
The final step in preparing the machine for start-up is to check all connections and fasteners. All moving elements should not be tightly tightened. their work should be elastic, but smooth.
Diesel and gasoline tiller launches are slightly different. The gasoline unit is started in this way:
- open the gasoline tap;
- the choke lever must be in the “start” position;
- the ignition must be off;
- pump with a mechanical starter a couple of times;
- now you need to turn on the ignition;
- pull the starter again.
If you have an electric starter, then you can immediately turn on the ignition. The starter will quickly pump fuel into the carburetor.
With a diesel tiller, things are a little more complicated. The new unit is completely air-conditioned, if, of course, no one started it. To pump it, you need to turn the starter. The process will take longer than starting a gasoline car, but in the end the tiller will start.
If you have a recoil starter, you can jerk it, but you can also start the tiller in another way. To do this, you need to open the fuel cock, and from it, unscrew each connection to the nozzle itself. You unscrew the connection, wait for the fuel to pour out, and tighten it, moving on to the next.
When starting mechanically, you need to open all the taps and put the gas in the middle position. After wringing out the decompressor, swing it a couple of times, holding it with your finger. Then lower the decompressor and pull to its original position. Press it again and do not hold, but immediately pull the starter. the tiller must earn.
How to prepare a tiller for work after winter?
In most regions of our vast Motherland, the long-awaited Spring has come to court, and many negligent owners have not yet prepared tillers for work and, as they were thrown into the barn last fall, they still lie there to this day.
First of all, we open the lid of the gas tank and see if the mouse has started up there, whether there is gasoline there and whether it has rusted from the inside. A good owner’s tank should have been filled up to the top with gasoline since autumn, a bad owner will find dirt and rust in his tank instead of gasoline.
- If the tank is in full order, we drain the old gasoline from it, blow out the filter and fill the tank with fresh fuel
- If there is debris and rust in the tank, we drain everything that is left in it from last year from the tank, remove the tank, rinse it thoroughly and put it back
We remove the air filter cover, remove the filter element from the housing and perform maintenance in accordance with the recommendations of the manufacturer of your tiller
The manufacturer of this tiller recommends servicing the air filter according to the following regulations:
We find the drain plugs at the bottom of the carburetor and the fuel valve. we turn them off and wait for the old fuel to drain. As soon as the fuel drains, we wrap the drain plugs in place, open the fuel cock, wait a few minutes until the fuel flows into the carburetor and see if the gasoline has flowed from where.
- If gasoline is dripping, we eliminate the leak
- If everything is dry in the area of the carburetor and the crane, go to the next stage
We find the oil dipstick on the engine, unscrew it from the engine, wipe it dry with a clean cloth, insert it into the engine. take it out and see how much oil is in the engine: the oil should be at the upper mark of the dipstick
- If the oil level is insufficient, top up
- If the oil is already black, thick and stinks of burning, and you no longer remember when you changed it the last time, if at all? Do not be stingy. drain this surrogate right there and fill in a new one
We check the operation of the tension roller of the drive belt:
- When the drive control lever is fully released, the roller must be released and do not tighten the belt
- With the drive control lever depressed. the roller should tension the belt as much as possible
If the roller is in the wrong position, correct it by throwing the rod over the links of the adjusting chain
We take out the filler plug of the main gearbox and try to measure how much oil is left there and whether it is left at all. The oil can be measured with a wire: drive the wire into the gearbox. take it out and see how much oil is there:
- If there is even a little oil, check the operating instructions and top up to the prescribed level
- If there is no oil in the gearbox, but you do not have instructions, fill in at least a liter of any oil
We check the condition of the stoppers of the drive wheels or cutters:
- If the bolts are already on the verge. change them while there is time
We start the engine, warm it up for a few minutes, and thoroughly gas it:
- If the engine runs smoothly and without interruptions, we rejoice
- If the engine is moping, sneezes / shoots, does not develop speed, we try to replace the spark plug, if it does not help, we clean and blow out the carburetor
How to start a cultivator after winter
A cheat sheet with some helpful tips
The candle gives a spark, but very weak. The problem is that the ceramic insulator can get damp. And therefore, part of the energy simply flows down it, and the rest is not enough to ignite the fuel. It is this property, in most cases, that makes the candles inoperative, which worked flawlessly even in the fall. If the candle is damp, you can try to dry it on an electric stove, but it will still be correct to replace it with a new one.
Before sending the moped for the winter, it is advisable to drain the remaining gasoline from the tank. As this substance can be exhaled. In other words, the light fractions evaporate, and the remaining gasoline performs a chemical reaction with oxygen. From this, gasoline changes its color, becomes dark and loses its properties to ignition. This change is especially noticeable if the gasoline was not stored in a sealed or half-empty container.
If gasoline remains in the fuel tank for the winter, then in the spring it is drained and replaced with fresh. And old gasoline can be mixed in small quantities with new, but in the warm season.
If all of the above manipulations helped and the iron horse started up, then before the first spring trip, you should also check the oil level, cooling fluid, and of course rubber. After the performed manipulations, you can safely hit the road.
What’s in the fuel tank
Visual inspection of the spark plug and its check indicated that this item can be deleted from the list of possible malfunctions. But, at the same time, the problem with the fact that the moped does not start after winter has not disappeared anywhere. Therefore, the presence of fuel in the carburetor should be checked. And if the careless owner forgot to drain it before the onset of winter, this is one of the first reasons that the moped will not start.
It should be noted that with repeated changes in temperature in winter, condensate appears in the fuel tank in the form of water droplets. And during the idle time of the iron horse, the amount of such condensate accumulates in a large volume. This can be the second problem that keeps the moped from starting after winter.
It is worth noting that in some models, this factor was initially taken into account, and in order to avoid the accumulation of water on some mopeds, an additional appendix is installed during assembly. It is an extruded stamping in the tank, directly next to the gas line. This design makes life much easier for motorcyclists, but in any case, it is sometimes necessary to remove the tank and get rid of this fluid. As over time, condensation will start to enter the fuel tank. As a result, the moped will refuse to start.
In the warm season, gasoline is constantly being updated and moved in the tank. As a result, any sediment that appears is stirred up and gradually leaves with gasoline not noticeably. But, when the iron horse goes to the garage for the winter, then by the spring a water plug will be formed without fail. It can be located in the fuel line, in the pump, or in the pneumatic valve, or “conveniently” located in the carburetor. Thus, suspend the flow of gasoline. Particularly susceptible to this defect are those nodes that still have their own mesh filters, since they do not allow water to pass through. Of course, this kind of protection is very useful for a moped, but on the other hand, such nets block the normal operation of the iron horse. And so that the question of how to start a moped after winter does not torment the owner’s head, then these filters should sometimes be cleaned, especially before the start of spring operation.
Part 1 How to start a mower that has been sitting for years
How to start a moped after winter
With the onset of spring, almost everyone wants to ride a moped with a breeze, except perhaps only the lazy, or those who do not have this miracle of technology. But having taken out an iron horse, quite often a person comprehends a bummer in the form of a motor that has not started. There may be several reasons for the problem, so we will consider below everything that can prevent us from starting a moped after winter.
How to start a moped after winter using ether
How to start a moped after winter is quite simple to do with the help of ether, provided that the iron horse has not been hit by another, larger-scale breakdown. For this procedure, it is necessary to remove the air filter cover and spray a large volume of ether directly onto the filter element. Then quickly close the lid so that the ether does not evaporate.
Well, to start trying to start, if the engine failed to start the third time, it means that the help of a good mechanic is required and the only way is the way to the service station. Well, if, the iron horse, “made an attempt” to sneeze, you can repeat this procedure.
At the same time, it is worth remembering that if in the fall the moped started up and worked flawlessly, then all of the above methods will help to launch the iron friend in the spring. Well, if the moped had problems with the ride in the fall, then you should not waste time, you need to take it to the self-service station.
Don’t start a moped after winter. look at the battery
How to start a moped after winter, such a question in most cases arises from owners who have made a negligent attitude towards their iron friend in the fall. In other words, they did not mothball it before the onset of cold weather. And since it so happened, then it is necessary to start checking and finding out the reason from the very heart of the moped, from the battery.
If it was not possible to start the moped immediately, then unscrewing the battery starter until the crankshaft is completely plugged is a stupid thing. When the engine does not start right away, then you should not force it, since it is advisable to save the battery power, it will come in handy later.
How quickly the moped starts depends on the state of the battery. Naturally, lighting a battery through the wires can be beneficial, but it will be less efficient than a well-charged scooter battery of its own.
Therefore, before taking the first ride on an iron horse, it is worth checking the condition of the battery. Better yet, take the battery home and charge it. And after running under current, make the first attempts to start a moped.
And if it’s about candles
The moped does not start after winter, which means it is worth checking the candles. It is necessary to unscrew the candle, and assess its condition, dry or not. If dry, put it back in place, but before that you should check the spark. And to perform such a manipulation, for this they insert a candle into the cap, do it so that the thread fits snugly against the mass. Then, you need to turn the crankshaft, with a sharp movement.
Another way is suitable for testing, take a small piece of wire, screw one end to the motor, or rather to its body, and the other to the candle, on the side where the thread is. If there is no spark, then the problem is in the candle, in such a situation there is only one option, purchase a new one.
Well, if the candle gave a spark, then they put it in place and try to start it, it does not work, then the “diagnostic operation” continues.
Of course, every owner of an iron friend must prepare his moped for wintering, but this does not always work out, due to banal negligence. And since in the spring there is no chance that the iron friend will start right away, so it is worth remembering all the above methods that will help to cope with this task.