How To Choose Tiller Lugs
Types of lugs for the tiller
Today on sale you can find several types of devices to improve the grip of the tiller. In the first case, we are talking about a complete replacement of the usual wheel with a metal one with spikes. It is put on and fixed on the axle of the tiller through a special mount with holes. In the second case, there is no need to remove the wheels. Such lugs are metal nozzles with the same spikes put on the outer edges of the inflatable wheels.
If you have a large area, it is extremely difficult to manually work on it. Some gardeners decide to hire workers, and some. get a very useful “device”. tiller. This is a one-piece machine that allows you to do almost all field work. Of course, subject to the availability of the necessary attachments and accessories. One of the most important. lugs for tiller.
What are tiller lugs for??
A typical tiller is equipped with two wheels consisting of tires, a tire and a frame. With such wheels, it is very easy to drive to the field or garden on asphalt roads. But if they are not available to the destination, transporting the tiller or cargo on it can present a certain problem.
You can solve it if you get lugs. This is the name given to metal wheels equipped with spikes. It is they who seem to slip into the ground and provide adhesion between the soil and the tiller. And this allows for the movement on unpaved roads, of which there are so many in rural areas, and the normal tillage of the land. With the help of lugs, it becomes easier to move the trailer uphill with a load. In addition, the attachment in the form of metal lugs allows for better cultivation of the soil before planting various crops.
By the way, devices that are simple in design can increase the weight of the unit, thereby enhancing its stability, which is important when using various additional attachments.
How to choose tiller lugs?
The main criterion to be guided by before buying is the size of the lugs for tillers. A correctly selected load carrier does not touch the body during installation. The selection should be based on the tiller class. For example, for the heavy class, whose weight reaches more than 200 kg, a lug with a diameter of about 70 cm is selected.For middle class tillers with a weight of 80 kg and more, devices with a diameter of about 30-40 cm are recommended.Lightweight units require load carriers with similar data.
In addition, the tiller model also needs to be taken into account. So, for example, if we talk about which lugs are better for the Neva tiller, then the optimal choice in this case is a model with a diameter of 34 cm and a track width of 11 cm. The Mole requires a lug with a diameter of 28 cm and a width of 9 cm. Favorite”. diameter 70 cm and width 10 cm.
In addition, when choosing, take into account the type of lug coverage. These can be ordinary spikes in the form of reinforcement segments welded to the base. Most often there are arrow-shaped lugs, in which the coupling part is made in the form of corners. The last option is considered the most effective.
In addition, when planning the purchase of lugs for the unit that helps to quickly and efficiently perform gardening and field work, consider the need to purchase an add-on. These are weights for tiller lugs. They are necessary for light class tillers, for which lugs alone may not be enough for normal grip. A weighting agent is a metal container, which is filled with sand, stones or soil and fixed to the wheels or lugs of the tiller.
What are the tiller lugs for??
Tiller lugs are special devices that outwardly resemble ordinary metal wheels, supplemented with studded pads. The name itself indicates their main functional purpose. to guarantee perfect adhesion between the cultivator and the underlying surface. the soil. Thanks to these devices, the tiller can move freely on any terrain, regardless of weather conditions.
In addition, the lugs to the tiller also perform other functions:
- contribute to better soil cultivation;
- simplify the transportation of both the tiller itself and the loaded trailer connected to it off-road or on loose soils;
- increasing the weight of the unit, provide it with good balance and stability in space;
- allow the use of other attachment adapters, for example, for seedbed cultivation.
How to choose the right lugs for a tiller?
Not only the effectiveness of their use, but also the ease of movement of the tiller depends on how correctly the lugs are selected. When buying accessories, you should pay attention to the following factors:
- Lug sizes. suitable product dimensions are directly related to the class of the agricultural machine. For heavy tillers, choose products with a diameter of about 70 cm. Medium and light units can be completed with lugs with a diameter of about 25–40 cm;
- The type of soil to be cultivated. the most versatile are lugs, to which arrow-shaped spikes are welded. Their traction part is shaped like corners, so they show excellent traction even on very loose soil;
- Possibility of mounting weights. for operation on loose soil, some lug manufacturers provide for the installation of additional weighting materials, which make the use of products more efficient, especially when working with light tillers. As a rule, weights are in the form of durable metal containers that can be filled with stones, sand or any other material at hand, and then installed on the lugs.
When buying lugs, be sure to consider each of these factors. This will make it much easier for you to select the most efficient tiller mounts.
Production of lugs from a gas cylinder
Simple metal wheels for a tiller can be made in another way. An empty gas cylinder is suitable for this. In this case, you will need to:
- Make sure that there is no gas in the cylinder;
- Place the cylinder motionlessly on the floor or on stands;
- Cut out 2 identical discs from it, about 30 cm high and about 6-10 cm thick. they will play the role of rims;
- Weld one metal plate to the discs;
- Weld to each of the plates 6 teeth, 15 cm long. For operation on light class tillers, teeth 5-10 cm long must be welded to the plate.
For work, we recommend using exclusively cast iron cylinders. Cast iron is much stronger and heavier than steel, so lugs made of this material can last a fairly long amount of time.
a tiller is an extremely useful thing in any household or farm. This technique belongs to the category of light, which does not in the least affect its effectiveness and functionality. Like heavier and larger tractors or mini tractors, the Tilleri are compatible with a variety of attachments that allow not only cultivating the soil, but also hilling the beds, harvesting root crops, etc.
In the list of the most demanded adapters for tillers. lugs. Not all tillers are equipped with them, which forces users to purchase them on their own. How not to be mistaken with the choice and whether these mechanisms can be made independently, and will be discussed further.
The second option based on Zhiguli disks
A full set of discs will be needed, since one pair can be put on tires and used for transportation on roads with asphalt surfaces, and the second one can be made as traditional lugs.
- we dissolve a corner made of steel with a side of 5-6 cm into segments wider than the existing discs;
- in the center of one side of the angle grinder, cut out a triangular area. It is with this part that they will touch on the lug;
- heat the corner with a burner and bend it slightly. Additionally, we tack it with welding to strengthen the workpiece;
- weld the spikes from the corners along the outer rim of the machine disk at regular intervals (the optimal step is 15 cm, directing the pointed part along the tiller’s movement).
Similar operations are repeated for the second disk, as shown in the video.
Using our recommendations, you can make homemade lugs for any brand and model of tillers: “Agat”, “Salyut” or “Neva”. Dimensional differences between the models of these cultivators are insignificant, therefore, lugs from the “Neva” MB-1 series will also fit later versions. MB-2, MB-21, etc., expanding the scope of their application.
Tiller lugs are special devices with which you can remove weeds, as well as increase the stability of the equipment on loose soils.
Among modern farmers, such products have gained great popularity due to their versatility: they can be used both in large and small areas.
Tiller lugs: how to choose and do it yourself
Tiller lugs are useful devices that allow you to clear the sowing area of weeds and, at the same time, increase the stability of the agricultural machine on loose soil. Today, these simple products have earned great popularity not only among the owners of large farms, but also among summer residents who have small land plots at their disposal.
Types of lugs for tillers
The modern market is oversaturated with both the tillers themselves and the weights for them. The lugs are no exception.
Motoblock lugs are classified according to the following criteria:
- universal. suitable for any modification of tillers and differ in size characteristics;
- special. their dimensions (diameter and width) are adapted to a specific cultivator model;
In addition, structurally lugs are divided into those that:
- for installation require removal of the main wheel. Such lugs are attached to the cultivator axis with special clamps. They look like full-fledged iron wheels for a tiller;
- are put on from the outside of the tire and do not need to be attached to the tiller axle.
How to make do-it-yourself lugs is the easiest way?
- For these purposes, you can take old car wheel disks. Using a welding machine, it is necessary to fix the semi-axle to them, for which the plates are already welded to the disks. There should be a touch with the rim to which they can be bolted.
It remains to make the teeth. the hooks directly. For these purposes, you can use a corner. Using an angle grinder, you need to cut it, then make the teeth by welding. They need to be positioned on the rim in increments of about 15 cm.
To increase the efficiency of the lugs, the length of the teeth can be increased to 60 cm, and each hook can be supplemented with one more tooth. To create an axis, a plate must be attached to one of the rims.
In a word, lugs can be made from almost different materials, but round in shape. You just need to choose the right width and diameter of the wheel. And the overall dimensions are determined by the functions that must be implemented.
Consider several popular device manufacturers, which lugs can be used for them.
Each model of a tiller has its own attachment elements, which are integrated into its structure most harmoniously. Of course, it is great if there is a universal device available for which different options are suitable. Neva product manufacturers have created wheels with grousers Ф340х110.
Such elements are somewhat larger than those described above. You can follow the same instructions, just do other sizes of rims with your own hands. So, the width is 11 cm, and the height is 34 cm.
How to make or choose tiller lugs
Work on the ground is a very routine and very hard physical work. Not every person is able to engage in such activities, especially in the modern consumer world, where everyone is focused on the acquisition of goods. In addition, over the past decades, the technological filling of various fields of human activity has greatly increased. As a result, this progress is gradually prevailing in agriculture, which leads to the improvement of various processes. Work on the ground also came to this. In many procedures, farmers try to use a minimum amount of manual labor. This speeds up the process and allows you to physically relieve the person.
As a result of one of these branches of progress, a tiller appeared. This device can do a lot, especially if it is equipped with the necessary attachments. Its main function is to cultivate the land. It is designed to plow the soil, grow (plant and harvest) potatoes. This requires only different attachments.
Why devices are needed
The need for one or another lug is determined by the weight of the tiller: its weight should not be small. above average. But that’s not enough.
The usual lug is metal wheels with spikes. The latter are necessary for digging into the soil for good traction and clear movement. To create a structure, in fact, you only need two basic tools: a welding machine and an angle grinder.
Before performing any processes for the independent construction of the unit, the size must be determined. Width and height are determined by the tasks to be performed by the tiller.
It should be noted that for the same Neva tillers, 560/130 lugs are on sale. By the way, they are also suitable for the Favorite and Salute models, since they are universal. Thus, in this case, a width of 13 cm and a height of 56 cm should be observed, if a self-made model will be erected, following the example. Therefore, it makes no sense to separately consider the situation with Salyut tillers. At the same time, even larger wheels can be supplied to them. the Poltava model F700x100.
In this case, the market can offer a KFT product with a diameter of 28 cm and a width of 9 cm. This unit is also suitable for the Dachnik and Master models. Considering the overall dimensions, we can conclude that the lugs for these devices are the smallest. Whether it is good or bad, everyone decides for himself, taking into account his tasks that the farmer faces.
one per entry “How to make or choose lugs for a tiller”
For my Centaur, I made lugs from Zhiguli disks and 30mm strip iron
Features of choosing a lug for a tiller
- Grousers for popular tillery
- Buying Tips
- Self-made from discs
the tiller is an indispensable equipment and assistant in the personal household, but with the appropriate attachments, its functionality is significantly expanded. Without lugs, it’s hard to imagine how vehicles could move on the ground.
- depth of penetration of spikes into the ground.
It is the size that plays the leading role when buying. If the lug is selected specifically for the model of equipment, then the choice must be approached more carefully in the absence of experience and knowledge. Consultation is always required, otherwise the purchase will not work. One of the most common tillers used by farmers is the “Neva”. The width of the attachment for this unit should be 430 mm. Metal plates that are immersed in the ground must have a height of 150 mm, this is exactly what is required to ensure the necessary quality of adhesion to the surface during operation.
On the Salyut tiller, the width of the element in question should reach 500 mm, while the depth of immersion of metal spikes on the surface is 200 mm. On MK-100 or MTZ-09, you can use a universal model. If you use heavier lugs, then it becomes possible to attach more other attachments to the equipment, since its stability also increases.
It should be noted that the size of the suitable equipment is related to the class of the machine on which it will be installed. If this is a tiller in the heavyweight category, then it is worth taking metal wheels with a diameter of about 700 mm. For lighter ones, from 250 to 400 mm are suitable, the most popular are 32 cm in diameter.
It is equally important to take into account the type of soil, since it will be necessary to rely on it when choosing the shape of the welded thorns. Arrow-shaped metal plates are a universal option, since the adhesion point is made in the form of an angle, due to which the tiller can grab even on loose soil.
Most manufacturers of attachments in this category assume the use of additional weights. This is especially important when working on loose soil, where the equipment starts to slip and sinks more. Additional weight is a means that increases the efficiency of the operation of light equipment. This product is presented in the form of small containers made of metal, if necessary, they are filled with sand, stones or other materials that are at hand.
GHBoats Scamp Rigging Tutorial
Lugs are made as universal, suitable for any brands of tillers, and specially adapted for a specific model. Some people manage to make such attachments on their own, using old disks from the machine as a basis, however, the cost of such a unit turns out to be more expensive than if it was purchased ready-made. Lugs are necessary, first of all, to:
- improve the quality of adhesion of the tiller to the soil on which you have to move;
- increase in the weight of the equipment, due to which it becomes more stable and can be used without fear on uneven surfaces, even when using other heavy attachments;
- the lug provides additional soil processing;
- the tiller can easily move uphill on soft ground.
It becomes clear that without such attachments, most of the standard tasks would be inaccessible to the tiller. You can’t talk about the versatility of such a technique without lugs.
To make the tiller as functional as possible, you need to purchase a model of attachments specifically for it. In this case, the unit becomes more efficient and economical. Sometimes lugs are supplied on sale, which are made of light alloy, their use on a light-weight tiller is impractical, since the total weight should be above average. Higher quality, heavy ones cost the consumer more, but they fully fulfill the assigned tasks.
Grousers for popular tillery
- “Neva”. With this technique, it is best to use attachments from the KMS, since each element individually weighs 12 kilograms. The lug diameter is 460 mm, so the efficiency can be traced regardless of the type of soil. Also noteworthy are products under the KUM brand, they should be used when hilling or deep plowing.
- “Salute” or “Agat”. The self-cleaning version from the UralBenzoTech company is ideal.
- “Oka”. In this case, it is best to use attachments DN-500200.
- Belarus 09Н and “Agros”. Products for this technique differ in the method of fastening, since the bent top should stand in the direction of movement. Quality products are produced by PF SMM.
- Aurora. For this brand, it is best to use branded lugs for outdoor work.
- “Mole”. The best equipment for machinery under this brand is produced by Mobil K. A special feature is the need for additional use of extension cords.
- “Patriot”. You can use the S-24, S-31 MB and others for the tiller. The advantage of this technique is that it is not difficult to find attachments for it.
- “Farmer”. It is allowed to use the Elitech 0401.000500 model, you can find products a little cheaper, since there are enough of them on the modern market. “Khutor”, “Viking”. “Favorite”.
Any of these models provides high-quality traction. If the user is trying to save money, then it is better to consult with a specialist in more detail as to whether the selected attachment is suitable for the equipment used. As a rule, lug manufacturers in the operating instructions prescribe the brands and models of tillers with which this product can be used.
Self-made from discs
You can make a lug yourself, this will require old car rims. With the right approach to the process, such equipment turns out to be no less effective than purchased ones, while it pleases with durability and efficiency. The manufacturing process may only seem complicated from the outside, in fact, it consists of the simplest stages.
- First of all, the master welds plates made of metal to the Zhiguli disks from the outside.
- At the second stage, the teeth are made. Steel will be required as the main material, since it is she who has the necessary qualities. The master needs to cut the blanks to size. The length will depend on the type of tiller, the heavier the technique, the longer the pimples should be. For heavy tillers, this parameter is 150 mm, medium 100 mm, and light 5 mm.
- After manufacturing, the teeth are welded to the rim, while maintaining a distance of 150 mm between them.
If you follow the requirements, the result will be a quality product. Increasing the grip is possible if weights are used. The installation of such attachments is carried out in the same way as for finished products, taking into account the design features of the tiller.
From the video below you can find out how to make do-it-yourself lugs for a tiller.