How To Wind The Line On The Spool Lawn Mowers
How to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel. Step-by-step guide VIDEO
For a successful threading of the line into the trimmer head, it is important not to miscalculate with the choice of consumables. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it will be able to cut. Often a universal line is used, the diameter of which is 2 mm. You can choose a diameter suitable for the mower in the following ways:
- Refer to the instructions included with the trimmer for line thickness information.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes information about the possible diameters of the fishing line is applied on it.
- Another option is to try inserting the cord into the exit hole. If it easily goes into it, then the selected line diameter is suitable for use.
You can choose a cord thread according to the type of engine. If the line is too thick, the resistance to rotation will increase. in this case, the engine will overheat and will soon fail. Helpful hints:
- For an electrical device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thread is suitable. If you can’t find one, then you can use a 1.6 mm line. If the power is more than 1 kW, then select a cord with a diameter of 2 mm.
- With a petrol trimmer, the shaft mower matters. For the folded version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, use a 2.4-2.5 or 3mm thread. The thickest line is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of section of the cord thread. Some popular options:
- The most common round lines. They mow fresh grasses well, but they cope worse with shrubs, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but is good for thin young grass.
- Serrated thread with sharp edges ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow your lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square trimmer lines, but they are not very strong.
- Strongest. two-piece inner-core round cord.
Types of trimmer line
Please note that you cannot use wire, metal strings and cables, as well as ordinary fishing thread instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous to both the user and others. So the cable or similar products will gradually begin to work, as a result, their ends will unravel, and small pieces will scatter at high speed.
Which line to choose
Before you stock up on this material for refueling in the trimmer, you need to decide on the choice. After all, the usual so-called round fishing line is far from the only existing species. How to choose the most suitable one? First you need to determine the working conditions.
Selection by type. Round line is the most common. It will work with any coil with rare exceptions. This type of consumable is suitable for cutting fresh, juicy grass. But with the mowing of the so-called dead wood, this species may no longer cope. It is pointless to mention attempts to mow bushes with this thread.
In addition to the usual type, there are others with sharp edges. Usually they are made with an asterisk or a square. The presence of sharp edges is the main feature and key difference of these threads.
It is due to this feature that the threads of these types are able to mow dry weeds. But sharp-cut threads are not without drawbacks, the main of which can be called rapid wear and strength, which is noticeably inferior to the round type.
In addition to the already mentioned types of woods, there are also interesting and common varieties. Especially among them can be noted fishing lines, inside which a metal wire is stretched. This type of thread is often used in gasoline-powered tools with an engine more powerful than one and a half horsepower.
Metal-cored threads come in both round sections and sharp edges. Regardless of the type of section, such threads are the best suited for overcoming difficult-to-cut plants. Threads of this type can easily mow not only dry grass, but even small bushes.
The wires with a wire inside compare favorably with other types of consumables for their incredible wear resistance. Unfortunately, this feature has a more than noticeable impact on the price of this type. The cost of yarns with a core is much higher than the cost of yarns of other types.
Removing and disassembling the coil
The mowing trimmer head consists of a cover, a spring (not available in every model), a bobbin with a cord, and a cover. Before proceeding with the disassembly of the coil of the electrical unit, be sure to disconnect the trimmer from the mains. The disassembly method depends on the mounting of the mowing head. First option:
GT 2.0 | How-To: Replace Spools & Change Trimmer Line
- To remove the cover that covers the inside of the head, press on the latches (latches) that are located on both sides.
- Remove the cover, under which you will see the spool. remove it from the body. Some trimmer spools have a spring under the bobbin, which must also be carefully pulled out.
- After removing the bobbin, you will see a screw in the center of the case. Unscrew it with a screwdriver.
- After removing the fasteners, take the body of the part and, swinging it in different directions, remove the gearbox from the shaft.
In the second version, the trimmer head is screwed onto the gearbox shaft. To remove it, you need to fix the shaft. For this, such devices have a hole through which a thin screwdriver or metal rod is inserted. Brief instruction:
- Insert a screwdriver into the special hole, then lock the shaft.
- Grasp the body of the head and start twisting it. This should be done clockwise, since the thread on the shaft is left.
Winding the line to the reel
How to wind the line on a trimmer reel: winding methods and video
Any garden owner knows how quickly weeds can fill an area. A trimmer will help to defeat them without undue effort. This incredibly useful device is an indispensable tool for trimming and mowing grass.
It is no secret that an ordinary lawn mower cannot be used everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer can handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools in which the cutting element is not a knife, but a fishing line.
Selection by thickness
In addition, you should pay special attention to the thickness of the consumable. For mowing young grass, a thread with a diameter of one and a half millimeters is suitable. The larger the diameter of the thread, the drier and coarser weeds it is able to overcome.
When choosing a fishing line by thickness, there is one “but”. It is important not only to assess the capabilities of the material, but also to take into account the features of the trimmer. Be sure to check the user manual that came with your tool for information on cutting element requirements.
Using the wrong thread can damage the tool. Using a thread that is too thick will overload the machine’s motor. And the use of a thread that is too thin will significantly increase the wear of the twisting mechanism.
That is why it is necessary to approach the choice of consumables no less responsibly than to refuel it in the trimmer. When a suitable fishing line is found and purchased, you can begin to consider ways of winding it on a reel.
Trimmer head types for spools
The main elements of the trigger is the mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a bobbin inserted inside. The fishing line (cord) is tucked into it. The heads differ from each other in the way of feeding and threading the cord. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The line is then fed as the user reduces the engine speed. Automatic cord feeding is very convenient when there is a lot of work to be done. The disadvantage of such a head is the high thread consumption.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complex manipulations. The principle of its operation is designed in such a way that the line begins to automatically lengthen while the trimmer is operating at full speed. You just need to lightly bang the head of the machine on the ground (this will remove the blocking of the line), and the cord will be pulled out of the bobbin due to centrifugal force. Then the fishing line is cut to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To lengthen the cord, the machine must be stopped. After that, the line will need to be pulled out manually.
Types of trimmer spools
Baitcasting coils represent a natural evolution of the good old inertia. In fact, these are winches that are distinguished by increased strength and lifting capacity at an expected large mass and an equally impressive price. It is used primarily in sea fishing, but sometimes it is also used for freshwater fishing, usually in tandem with a reinforced casting or trolling blank. The multiplier is purposefully sharpened for the extraction of trophy specimens.
Winding a fishing line on a multiplier has a number of features. First, there is a perforation in the spool. Its original purpose is to lighten the structure, but the holes available are also good for attaching the fishing line: you can simply tie it with a regular knot. There is no need to use backing: it is not at all necessary to fill the spool to the brim. The multiplier is already heavy, and incomplete winding will not affect its performance in any way.
The rest of the principles can be borrowed from the winding of the inertialess, but it must be taken into account that in this case it is better to control the tension of the cord. This can be done with fingers protected with a glove or a piece of cloth, or you can use a cork cut to half for this purpose (a fishing line is passed through the cut).
In reels of this type, there is no clip for fixing the cord, therefore, in the end it is better to wind it on the foot of the attachment to the rod.
Securing the line to the spool
The first thing to do is to attach the line to the spool of the reel. It can be backing or the main cord itself. it doesn’t matter. Some anglers neglect the moment of fastening, hoping that there is a lot of fishing line on the spool, everything will not unwind. As a result, on a long cast and a powerful bite, the entire line is exhausted, and the happy and lively fish leaves, taking all the equipment as a memento. You lose an expensive line and the pleasure of fishing, but you gain experience: in every unpredictable case, you need to tie the fishing line!
It is reasonable to make one more manipulation with the fishing line: you can fix it on the spool using electrical tape or adhesive tape in the direction of the cord travel. no matter how strong the knot is, it will still slide without additional fixation. Just try to avoid sudden changes that can negatively affect the quality of the winding.
Features of Inertial Coils
Inertia reels are a classic of the fishing genre, mainly used for traditional bottom (not feeder) or fly fishing, or in tandem with float equipment. However, some spinners and feeders still prefer this old-school accessory. This is a matter of taste, although objectively a spinning rod for spinning and a feeder is much more convenient at all stages, from casting to playing fish.
The design solution of inertial reels does not provide for the presence of a line manager, therefore the angler’s primary task is to control the tension and direction of laying the line. The basic approach to winding remains the same as in the previous case: from the factory reel to the pencil through the ring to the reel. However, in this case, the angler grips the line between his fingers and guides it for even distribution on the spool. Both cruciform and simpler spiral styling are acceptable.
In this case, it is absolutely not worth winding the line until the coil is full (not to be confused with inertialess models!). In principle, an almost half-empty spool is acceptable. this has little effect on comForte fishing. But filling the coil to the sides is fraught with falling and tangling of the fishing line at the most crucial moments.
How to reel fishing line
Fishing is full of all sorts of tricks that are revealed gradually, with the acquisition of experience. It would seem that the simplest task is to reel the line on a reel, and how many subtleties this seemingly simple process conceals in itself! People who only comprehend the mysteries of fishing do not even suspect how important this “trifle” can become. Incorrectly laid thread can fall off, twist and form “beards”, which can make fishing not only uncomfortable, but also impossible in principle.
Today we will figure out how to correctly calculate the amount of working thread or cord, find out what backing is and learn the intricacies of laying fishing line on spools of various types. We hope this post will contribute to your advancement in the art of fishing. Let fishing bring pleasure and enviable catches, and improperly laid fishing line does not interfere with this.!
- Choosing a reel and line
- Determining line length and backing
- Winding profile
- Securing the line to the spool
- Winding the line on a spinning reel
- Features of Inertial Coils
- Multiplier rig
- Practical advice from experienced anglers
Choosing a reel and line
The first task of the angler is to acquire quality fishing line. Modern spinners and feeders rarely use traditional monofilament because of its extensibility in water, which is especially noticeable at long distances. They prefer braided cords, which are less prone to deformation and exhibit similar strength at half the diameter. The exception is the use of monofilament in tandem with a spinning spoon, but for jig it is definitely preferable to braid.
Monofilament in combination with classic inertia and spinning reels is mainly used for float and nod fishing rods, bottom tackle and gutters. In this case, a different winding principle is used.
Winding the line onto a spinning reel
We proceed directly to the process. If you want to make it as comfortable and technically flawless as possible, you can purchase a special device that allows you to control both the direction of laying the line and its tension. But you can do with improvised means:
The line should be reeled evenly, with a certain controlled tension, in order to avoid “beards” and unwanted bumps. After the end of the process, the fishing line should be fixed with a special clip on the spool. this will protect it from loosening and falling off the spool.
Determining line length and backing
On spools issued by reputable manufacturers, their capacity is indicated, that is, how many meters of thread of a certain thickness they can hold. The currently accepted classification is from Shimano. The lightest and smallest is the model marked “1000” (this figure comes from the product of the diameter of the fishing line by its length in millimeters), which is used for spinning “ultralight”.
The most common variant is marked “3000” for middle class rods, which are rightfully considered the most versatile. By simple calculations, you can understand that the spool of such a model will fit 100 meters of line with a diameter of 0.3 mm. However, such a thick line is not always necessary, especially when it comes to braiding. We take half the value and we get 200 meters of expensive high-quality cord, which, with intensive use, may not withstand a full season.
In order to save money (by the way, quite justified), many anglers reel on the reel exactly as much working line as is needed to achieve the maximum casting distance. However, for fishing efficiency and comfort, it is necessary that the reel is almost completely full. A distance of a couple of millimeters from the edge of the spool is still acceptable, but then problems begin.
If you do not want to incur unnecessary costs, we recommend using backing, that is, auxiliary filling of the spool. Usually, inexpensive monofilament of small diameter is used as backing. It is better not to use a thick monofilament: it gives unwanted height differences. If you wish, you can use last year’s cord as a basis, which has lost some of its valuable properties and is no longer suitable as a main line. Another option. to wrap the spool with electrical tape. should be used only in extreme cases: it is not the most convenient way, and it is problematic to achieve perfect winding.
How do you determine the amount of backing and line you need? Do not measure them with a ruler, after all! Ideally, it is better to use a special line counter, mechanical or electronic. these devices are usually inexpensive and make life much easier for the angler. Advanced models attach directly to the rod and improve casting accuracy, which is especially important for feeder fishing. So you definitely won’t have to regret the money spent on the purchase of this convenient “gadget”.
The second option for winding the line is more cumbersome. You need two reel spools of the same capacity. First we wind a working cord on one of them (there is always much less of it), then backing, until the spool is filled. Then we rewind to the second spool, and the backing is in the place intended for it. below, under the main cord.
When wound correctly, the cord will lay down according to the profile of the spool. The following types of profiles are distinguished:
- Cylindrical. The profile winding is distributed evenly throughout the bobbin. The result is the correct cylinder.
- Straight tapered. Near the front side, the winding is minimal in diameter, the profile grows gradually towards the back side.
- Reverse tapered. The opposite situation: the base of the truncated cone (profile) is at the front side, the top is at the rear.
- Chaotic. This option, in fact, is not constructively provided for: a chaotic profile makes casting much more difficult. However, many Chinese models of the lower price segment sin with just such a disadvantage due to poor-quality assembly.
Most spinners and feeders practice winding the line in the shape of a cylinder or inverse cone. Adjustment is carried out by installing washers of a certain diameter in the desired order. In a word, do not be lazy to read the instructions and work with your hands. However, these nuances are secondary for lovers of an individual approach: branded reels are sold already with installed and perfectly adjusted washers.
Step-by-step instructions on how to wind the trimmer reel and lawn mowers
In order not to be mistaken with the choice of a suitable fishing line for your tool, you should first disassemble the head and look at the side wall of the reel. This information is usually presented on a tip, which will not allow you to make mistakes with the use of the appropriate equipment.
If there is information on the spool about the diameter of the line you can fill in, then this information can be clarified in the instructions. Having decided on the thickness or diameter of the rig, it remains to figure out how to charge it. There are two ways to do this, but not all of them are applicable. We will consider both methods in detail, and depending on which models of lawn mowers and trimmers you use, you decide on your own which option is suitable.
Learning to properly wind the line on the trimmer reel and lawn mowers installation instructions
Private home owners know how essential a trimmer tool is. It can be gasoline and electric, and they differ in the design of power units. For cutting grass in areas where there are stones, trees and other obstructing objects, a fishing line is used as a cutting device. This consumable wears out during use, so how to wind the trimmer coil, we will consider in detail in the material.
How to remove the spool from the trimmer and remove the line
Initially, remove the line from the trimmer spool before inserting it into the trimmer spool. A reel or aiming device is a device that sits inside the mowing head, bobbin or drum. There are different types of heads (depending on the manufacturers), but the principle of replacing the line on the reel is the same for everyone. First of all, we will figure out how to remove the head from the tool, as well as how to get the drum and fishing line out of it.
The instruction on how to unscrew the manual head on the trimmer is as follows:
- Turn the tool upside down and, if necessary, clean it from dirt. With two fingers of one hand, grip the cover latches (on the mowing head), which are symmetrically positioned to each other. After lightly pressing them inward, remove the protective cover from the drum
- Next, remove the line spool from the drum shaft. It is mounted on a shaft without fasteners, therefore it can be dismantled with one hand
- The main part of the drum is fixed with a screw, which must be unscrewed with a screwdriver with an appropriate tip or bit
- To unscrew, hold the drum base with one hand, and unscrew it counterclockwise with a screwdriver with the other
- After that, you can start dismantling. To do this, you do not need to pull it with all your strength, but slightly shaking it to the sides, slowly disengage it from the metal shaft on which the drum is seated
- When reinstalling, fit the head into the square slots
This process is not difficult, and as you know, there is no need to dismantle the entire head if you know how the replacement is performed. When dismantling, consider the following nuances:
- Periodic removal of the head is recommended to prevent corrosion of the threaded connection. If you never unscrew the screw, then if necessary, it will be difficult and even impossible to do this.
- If the screw has a four-sided bore of the head, then for unscrewing it is necessary to select a screwdriver or bits of a suitable size in order to exclude licking of the edges on the head
- When assembling the unit, treat the threaded seat with lubricants, such as grease or machine oil.
- If the edges on the screw are licked, then you can use special clamping pliers to unscrew it.
- There are drums that do not require preliminary disassembly. To dismantle them, grab it and rotate in the opposite direction of the clockwise direction
Knowing how to disassemble the drum, you should continue to figure out how to replace the trimmer line. The video below shows a detailed process on how to open the trimmer coil and disassemble it.
What you need to know about trimmer line
A fishing line is a consumable made of nylon that serves as a cutting device. By means of this equipment, the grass is cut, which is ensured by rotating the tool head at a high frequency. This material has different thicknesses, which depends on its use on the corresponding tools low-power electric (from 1 to 1.6 mm), electric from 500 W (2-2.4 mm) and gasoline trimmers with lawn mowers (from 2.4 to 3. 2 mm).
The more powerful the tool, the correspondingly thicker the cutting equipment should be. This affects not only the quality of the grass cut, but also the service life of the material. If you are wondering how to wind the trimmer coil, then it is time to change and reload the tool. With the onset of spring, this question is becoming more and more popular, so it’s time to figure out the step-by-step instructions for replacing the line in the trimmer reel.
Method 1. how to properly wind the line or put it on a reel and choose the required length
To implement this method, you will need to first prepare a fishing line of the required length (usually up to 4 meters). It all depends on the thickness of the equipment used, as well as the design of the coil. There is an easy way to find out the amount of line you need to refuel to charge the reel. To do this, wind the equipment inside the coil until it is aligned with the side projections. In this case, the equipment should not go beyond these extreme protrusions.
The thicker the rig used, the shorter its length will be needed and vice versa, the thinner, the longer the segment will be needed.
The instruction on how to properly tuck the equipment into the trimmer or lawn mowers is as follows:
- To begin with, a piece of fishing line that was prepared to be installed in a reel must be folded in half. In this case, one edge should protrude more than the second by 10-15 cm
- After that, take the second end from the other side, and fold it in half. Move to it so that the measured protrusion of 15 cm is preserved
- In the inner baffle of the coil there is a slot into which the resulting loop should be inserted. The cut in the wall is shown in the photo below.
- Next, we find out the direction of winding the line. If you wind the rig in the wrong direction, then it will not function correctly, and you will need to redo the work. To insert the line and wind it in the correct direction, inspect the surface of the spool. The direction of winding should be indicated on it (in 99% of cases, this direction is indicated). What the direction indicator on the coil looks like is shown in the photo below.
- This arrow-shaped pointer can also have the designation, as in the example above “WIND LINE”, which means the direction of winding. If the pointer is missing on the coil, then you need to look at the head. There is a direction of its rotation on the head, and in order to properly wind the line, wind it on the drum in the opposite direction to the indication of the arrow indicator. So, if the arrow is on the tip, then you need to wind in the indicated direction, and if it is not there, then you should wind against the direction of the arrow on the surface of the head
- Having decided on the direction of rotation, you should start winding. Each end should be guided in its own groove. If there is no separator, then the equipment must be laid in the appropriate distribution order.
- When almost all the fishing line is wound on a reel, you will need to do the following. place a short part in the hole of the side wall of the aiming, the protrusion of which should be up to 10-15 cm, and then similarly do the procedure with the other end, placing it in the hole on the parallel side
- We insert the coil into the head, first passing the ends of the line into the holes of the drum
- We put the drum in place and, pulling the ends of the line, remove them from engagement with the temporary clamps in the wall of the reel. After that, you can put on the cover until the latch engages.
- This completes the process of how to replace the fishing line on the trimmer, and if necessary, you can only trim the ends (if their length does not suit), and install the assembled drum on the tool
With how to put the drum in place, no difficulties arise. There is a second way, how to charge the mowing equipment in the lawn mower. What is the difference, and how is the second method of threading the line on the reel of lawn mowers carried out, we will find out in detail.
Method 2. how to properly put the line on the reel of lawn mowers with photo description and video
The second method differs from the first in that it is not a single piece of equipment that is charged into the coil, but segments from two parts. This method is used by manufacturers, and it is also suitable for those who have leftover material. The principle of how to insert two lengths of line into the mowing line is the same with the first method, and to make sure of this, below are detailed instructions:
- There are two equal length pieces of material that you can use.
- One piece is taken, and the edge is bent in the form of a clamping bracket or hook, with which the fishing line will be secured
- Inside the coil there are holes in the form of a bracket for fixing, which are there for a reason. If they are not there, then the second option will not work. The appearance of these brackets is shown in the photo below. Each bracket is in its own half
- The brace of the fishing line should be hooked on the bracket, and wind it in observing the direction of the arrow
- The rig is wound until a 10-15 cm segment remains, which is fixed in the corresponding hole on the side of the guide
- Manipulations with the second end of the fishing line are carried out in the same way.
- The protrusions are inserted into the holes of the head, and then, removing the equipment from the temporary fasteners in the reel, a cover with latches is installed
The above instructions on how to install a fishing line in the lawnmower will help not only correctly, but also quickly make the replacement procedure. Assembling the trimmer coil, as mentioned above, can be done without removing the head, but in this case, you will need to conveniently fix the tool. Video instruction is presented below.
How does a line head work on a lawn mower why you need to know how it works
Depending on the manufacturer, the heads differ structurally not only externally, but also internally. Most drums have a pressure spring inside (semi-automatic and automatic). Above is an instruction on how to disassemble the trimmer head without a spring, i.e. on the head of the manual type. The principle of dismantling a semi-automatic head with a spring inside is almost identical to the instructions described above.
The principle of operation of the semi-automatic trimmer coil is as follows:
- Inside the head there is a coil, which is fitted on the slots, which prevent its free movement.
- A spring acts on the coil, which presses it against the slots in the cover structure
- A fishing line is wound on the tip, the length of which depends on the tool itself. Usually this length is between 1 and 4 meters
- During the performance of work, if it is necessary to increase the length of the line, the protruding part of the drum is pressed, whereby it disengages from the splines. In this case, the line is unwound from the drum, increasing in length
- After releasing the required amount of fishing line, release the pressure and continue cutting the grass.
The advantage of a tool with a fishing line is that this consumable does not require sharpening, compared to metal discs. In addition, if a stone or a tree comes across on the way, the line simply breaks off, without negatively affecting the gearbox and engine of the tool, as is the case with metal cutting discs.
Knowing the design and device of the types of mowing or trimmer heads, it is necessary to go on to consider the process of threading the line into the trimmer spool. After all, it is this moment that causes difficulties for most owners of special tools.
Tips and tricks on how to wind the line and what you need to know
There are some useful tips and tricks that will be useful to learn not only for beginners, but also for experienced mowers. These tips will help prevent negative consequences in the form of injury and improper functioning of the mechanism. These guidelines read as follows:
- It is necessary to install the cover until it clicks. over, this is 2 or more clicks, which depends on the number of latches. If one of the latch does not snap into place, the drum may jump out when starting the tool and injure a person.
- Do not reel in the line with a strong pull, or more than you can insert it into place. It is better not to wind up the rig than there will be more of it, as this will lead to negative consequences in the form of the inability to unwind it if necessary
- If you own a tool not with two line leads, but with one (usually these are low-power units), then the winding process is performed in a similar sequence, as described above, only with the difference in the absence of a middle rim between the extreme bases of the coil
- After replacing the material, it is necessary to first check the operability of the tool, and after that start mowing the grass. If you do not make a preliminary check, then the scaffolding can unwind and injure a person
The result of the work done is as follows. after the replacement of the new material, the usual one is enough for an area of up to 600 square meters, but taking into account the presence of a reinforcing layer on the fishing line. Conventional nylon materials last less, which is important to consider when working. Do not try to cut thick-stemmed grass with fishing line, as there are special metal discs or knives for this.