Wood Grinder Which Is Better
Model Dewalt DWE6411
Surface grinder, medium capacity, 230 W. Platform oscillation frequency 200 Hz (approx. 14000 rpm). The sole travel is 1.6 mm. Emery paper can be fixed with Velcro or clips. Device weight 1.28 kg.
Dewalt DWE6411 pros
- Ergonomics that governs ease of use. This clipper does not cause fatigue over a long period of time.
- Long power cable allows you to freely manipulate the machine without the need for additional extension cords.
- Low noise level provides comfort during sanding. No hassle is caused by using this sander.
- The possibility of attaching the sandpaper to the platform using Velcro or clamps expands the possibilities of using the machine.
- Vibrations are not transmitted to the body, and work can be done for long hours without discomfort in the hands.
- No adjustment of the vibration frequency of the sanding pad.
- Lack of your own dust collector. To compensate for this disadvantage, a dust bag is included in the kit, in which an adapter for a vacuum cleaner is built.
- Relatively high cost for this class of grinders.
Output. Dewalt DWE6411 differs from other surface sanders by gentle wood processing. This is due to the lower vibration frequency and amplitude of the sanding platform. However, this in turn reduces performance. Therefore, this machine is recommended for use in non-urgent work when a very high quality of grinding is required.
How to use Your Angle Grinder on Wood
Model Makita 9403
1200 W sander with large dust bag. Belt width 100 mm. Supplied with an additional handle. Belt movement speed up to 500 m / min. Weight is 5.7 kg.
Pros of Makita 9403
- High power means excellent performance. The machine is suitable for high-speed processing of large wooden surfaces.
- Low noise level allows you to use the device on any objects. This does not require wearing headphones or taking any other safety measures.
- Ease of sanding. Installation on the machine with the second handle makes it possible to increase the duration of work and improve the quality of processing.
- Good dust collector. Conveniently located and does not interfere with work. Collects all dust without residue.
- Simplicity of design facilitates maintenance and belt replacement.
- The sole wears out quickly. We have to take frequent breaks in work in order for the platform to cool down.
- Large mass. Difficult to work on vertical surfaces.
- Lack of adjustment of the belt speed. Therefore, the execution time is highly dependent on the hardness of the wood. Hard wood is sanded slowly and sometimes requires re-sanding.
Output. In terms of performance, it can be classified as industrial designs. An excellent choice for craftsmen performing apartment renovations, namely, looping floors, including parquet floors. massive than other grinders, but much quieter than many competitors.
Model DeWALT DWE6423
Compact sander with 280 watts. The maximum grinding wheel diameter is 125 mm. The rotational speed of the disk is 12000 rpm, and the platform travel is 2.4 mm. Complete with dust collector. Operating weight 1.28 kg.
Pros of DeWALT DWE6423
- Convenient to work, allows you to grind wooden parts for long periods of time and not experience fatigue.
- Speed control makes it possible to achieve high quality wood processing with any physical properties. hard, soft, loose.
- Sands any surface, including narrow edges. It is possible to process wood both flat and with the edge of the disc.
- Long wire does not limit the freedom to manipulate the device.
- The cable does not grow dull over time, but always remains elastic.
- Hand vibration protection.
- The velcro sole does not hold some sanding discs well enough. This leads to frequent interruptions in work, which in turn reduces productivity.
- Noisiness. When working for a long time, you need to wear headphones.
- No case or bag included. inconvenient to store and transport.
Output. One of the best options for sanding small wooden parts. The use of the device allows not only grinding, but also polishing the surface. A good choice for household use when you do not need to process a lot of wood at high speed. The performance of this machine is highly dependent on the type of wood being processed.
9 best different types of grinders for woodworking
Manual grinders for woodworking have gained quite wide popularity among both home craftsmen and individual entrepreneurs providing a variety of services that require high-quality woodworking.
Currently, the following types of grinding machines are used for sanding wood and other materials:
They all differ in design, functional parameters and, therefore, in price.
Model Makita BO3711
Inexpensive sander for small jobs. The power is 190 W. The vibration frequency of the sole is 300 Hz (about 22,000 vibrations per minute). The sole stroke is 2 mm. Equipped with a frequency control system. Device weight 1.6 kg.
Pros of Makita BO3711
- Gentle processing of softwood. The machine does not leave scuffs and other defects.
- Low noise level. You do not need to use headphones or earplugs while working.
- Good vibration absorption. Vibrations are not transmitted to the handle, which ensures comfort during woodworking.
- Securing the sandpaper with clamps allows you to use different types of sandpaper.
- Small mass makes it possible to work for a long time and not feel fatigue.
- The short power cable limits sanding options. You need to use an extension cord or somehow extend the wire.
- Relatively bad at collecting dust. It is often required to additionally use a separate vacuum cleaner.
- Poor quality of the complete sandpaper punch. tears, not punches the paper.
Output. A distinctive feature of the Makita BO3711 model is its low productivity, which is compensated by the excellent quality of grinding. The low cost makes this grinder a good choice for home use when work can be done at a leisurely pace. Suitable for people who are engaged in amateur manufacturing of furniture or some other wooden products.
Model Metabo BAE 75
A hand sander designed for all types of wood. The power is 1 kW. The standard sanding belt width is 75 mm. The device is equipped with an electronic control of the main shaft speed and a system for maintaining a constant belt speed. Weight 4.7 kg.
Pros of Metabo BAE 75
- Excellent package including hex key, longitudinal stop, dust extractor adapters, additional handle.
- Sophisticated ergonomics ensure comfortable operation. Even long-term sanding does not cause fatigue.
- Low noise level expands the use of the machine.
- The presence in the kit of a device for transforming the machine into a stationary grinding machine.
- Long, flexible power cable.
- Heavy weight. Long-term grinding of vertical surfaces leads to fatigue, which in turn reduces productivity.
- Poor center of gravity. at the top. This is a common reason for the clipping of the machine and the formation of ugly serifs on the ground surface.
- The wheel that controls the number of revolutions of the main shaft turns hard. This makes it difficult to set the desired parameter.
Output. A budget model that is suitable for both home and commercial use. In the latter case, good maintainability will be a very valuable property. Metabo BAE 75 600375000 differs from other draw frames in more sophisticated ergonomics, thanks to which people without much experience can work with this machine.
Model Makita BO5041
300 W two-hand sander with large dust container. It is possible to use grinding discs with different abrasive grain sizes. The rotational speed of the disk is 12000 rpm with a platform stroke of 3 mm. Weight 1.4 kg.
Pros of Makita BO5041
- The presence of two handles ensures reliable holding of the device and ease of handling.
- The strength of the attachment of the grinding disc to the contact platform. The sanding disc does not fly off even when stuffing dust with Velcro.
- The powerful dust collector sucks in almost all the wood dust that forms during the sanding process.
- Anti-vibration system makes it convenient to work with the device and reduces fatigue.
- Small weight allows you to freely manipulate the machine and perform movements of any complexity.
- Not very convenient location of the speed controller.
- Small dust bag. In the process of work, you have to often interrupt to empty it.
- Low performance with relatively high power. Hardwoods often require re-processing.
- Poor maintainability due to difficulties in dismantling the main components and difficulties in purchasing spare parts.
Output. A good solution for regular work. Can be used for polishing wood surfaces and preparing for full polishing. Suitable for long-term grinding of joinery, but clearly not enough power for processing beams and logs.
Varieties of grinders
The modern market offers the following types of machines for grinding and polishing cars:
Purpose and design features
- tape. they have a high level of productivity, they are used to process large areas. Grinding machines of this type perform their functions due to the circular motion of the abrasive belt, which is very similar to the movement of a tractor caterpillar. Most often, a special dust collector is included in the kit, which prevents the dispersion of waste particles. Difficulties in using the unit rarely arise. it is easily installed on the required surface, and all that is required from the car owner is to make uniform movements and monitor the result;
- vibration (surface grinding). the main working element of such devices is a rectangular sole, on which the abrasive is fixed. The sanding cloth, depending on the features of the device, can be attached in two ways: with Velcro or with a clamping mechanism located on both sides of the sole. Grinding and polishing of a car is carried out by reciprocating movements with an amplitude of about 2 mm;
- delta grinding. differ from vibration only in triangular (like an iron) shape of the sole, which can move around its axis or in an orbit. They are used to process hard-to-reach areas;
- orbital (eccentric). Such grinders are a round sole, to which a grinding wheel is attached. All processes are carried out due to the simultaneous rotation of the base in orbit and around its axis, which allows completing the work in a fairly short time;
- angular. provide high-quality grinding by means of a grinding wheel that rotates around its axis. Externally, an angle grinder is very similar to an angle grinder and can be used not only for grinding but also for cutting various materials. For infrequent use, an angle grinder with a disc diameter of 115 to 125 mm is perfect, while a grinder with a disc diameter of 180-230 mm belongs to the category of professional.
Source of power
- air (pneumatic). characterized by high performance and electrical safety. But servicing a pneumatic car for a car is a rather complicated process that requires maintaining constant pressure and uniform air flow. A significant disadvantage is also a thick hose, which complicates the sanding process and makes it uncomfortable. Such devices are most often used in factories or large service stations, where specially trained specialists can provide the proper functionality;
- electric powered by a battery. used in the event that it is not possible to connect to the electrical network. Due to the limited battery capacity, they are designed for processing small surfaces and are characterized by low power;
- electric powered by electricity. such machines are used most often, due to their convenience, high performance, as well as the price indicator, which varies depending on the model and design features, that is, this type of grinding tools is affordable for any car owner.
How to choose the best sander for your car?
The sander for the car makes the process of polishing and sanding much easier. In addition, the possibility of using fine abrasives ensures uniform treatment of the vehicle body and reduces the likelihood of complete abrasion of the paintwork. However, in order to carry out successful manipulations using this device, one should take into account important nuances regarding its parameters and the principle of operation.
How to choose a sander?
When choosing grinding devices, you need to pay attention to the following features:
- power, which affects the duration of the device and the speed of rotation of the disk. The higher this indicator, the greater the amount of work can be;
- weight. The lighter the grinding machine has, the more accurate the processes performed with its help, but the processing time increases. On average, the mass of such equipment is 1-2.5 kg;
- disc diameter. must match the size of the device;
- disk rotation speed. devices with high performance are capable of providing up to 20 thousand revolutions per minute, which is necessary for serious body treatment, for example, in preparation for painting, while 5-6 thousand will be enough for polishing a car. It is desirable that the purchased device has a function for adjusting the rotational speed of the disk;
- When buying an orbital sander, a parameter such as the amount of eccentric stroke is very important. The lower this indicator, the better the process is performed, but at the same time, the larger this parameter, the faster the processing will take place. Standard models have two to six millimeters of travel. There are machines that allow you to adjust the eccentric stroke, but they are quite expensive.
High-quality polishing and grinding of a vehicle can be carried out by following these recommendations:
- divide the surface into several sections and process each of them in turn. this will not allow the abrasive or polishing to dry out;
- at the beginning of work, the speed should be minimal, and after the distribution of the abrasive over the surface, it is necessary to turn on increased speed;
- in the process of work, it is necessary to periodically turn off the grinder. this will allow the car body to cool down and prevent it from overheating;
- when processing the body, it is necessary to monitor the uniformity of pressure on the sole area, and the movements should be smooth;
- in the process of manipulation, the grinding wheels are periodically cleaned with a brush;
- if an abnormal sound appears during the operation of the instrument, it is necessary to thoroughly check it, clean and lubricate it.
Despite the fact that the grinder speeds up and facilitates the repair work, its use still requires accuracy and care, because in case of improper use of the tool, it may be necessary to completely replace the paintwork of the car.
How to choose a sander for wood
The wood sander is an indispensable tool for finishing work. Thanks to its use, the process of polishing and grinding wooden surfaces is significantly accelerated. The unit itself is convenient and compact, which makes it possible not only quickly, but also to level the walls, floor, furniture and other wooden surfaces with high quality.
This type of sander is designed for processing surfaces not only made of wood, but also metal, plastic and stone. According to principle
Compact and versatile delta sander.
work they are similar to vibration models. Their feature is the shape of the plate, which makes it possible to perform high-quality grinding work even in hard-to-reach places.
The movements of the sole are carried out at high speed and have a reciprocating appearance. For both home and professional use, it is advisable to choose a powerful model with the ability to adjust the speed of its operation. Thus, it becomes possible to work with several types of surfaces.
A wide range of modern products allows you to choose models with special holes for removing dust, the ability to install additional attachments, rotating soles and other features of work.
The delta sander is designed for polishing and cleaning any surface, even in hard-to-reach places.
The Bosch GEX 125–150 AVE model has 400 W of power, which can easily stretch the sole up to 15 square meters. cm.
The orbital or eccentric machine features a round sole, while the sanding element itself is attached with a special Velcro. The unit includes a counterweight and an eccentric that drive the sole in multiple directions.
The product can work in two ways:
- By orbiting;
- By rotating along the axis.
Axial movement in most models occurs by inertia, less often. by force. As a result of its complex movement and the high speed of the machine, a high quality surface is obtained without any single flaws. Dust is discharged to the outside through special holes on the grinding wheel and on the sole itself. Containers or a vacuum cleaner are used to collect it.
- The power of the grinder can vary between 200-900 watts. The higher the value, the more productive the tool will be.
- The speed of the forward motion. Adjustable grinders can have this indicator in the range of 4000-14000 rpm, without adjustment. up to 12000 rpm.
- Sole type. If a delicate sanding is required, then you should not choose a large sole, which also has a dead zone and an amplitude of up to 7 mm. For convex surfaces, it is advisable to use an elastic pad.
Compact outsole capable of handling even hard-to-reach surfaces.
- Plate material. The best choice is a metal plate, which has high strength and reliability, conducts heat well, and is also particularly stable.
Orbital type is designed to carry out the polishing and grinding process at a high level.
The most popular variety among all grinders.
In terms of the frequency of processing wooden surfaces, the vibration machine is slightly inferior to the belt type. With its help, the final (finishing) stage of grinding wooden, plastic, metal or stone flat surfaces occurs.
The main part of the machine is a plate that makes frequent reciprocating movements. The very same shaft rotation is translated into translational movements of the platform due to the vertically located motor.
What to look for when choosing this tool:
- The amplitude of the sole stroke. It is better that it has small indicators (1-3 mm), which indicates a careful cleaning of the surface. Some machines are available with an amplitude of up to 6 mm, such models are suitable for quick and coarse sanding.
- Vibration type models can be selected with 150-300W power. They are characterized by good maneuverability, compact size and mobility. There are units up to 600 W, differing in larger dimensions and the ability to work for a long time without the threat of overheating.
Sole stroke rate. The greater its value, the faster the machine removes a sufficiently thick layer during operation. At a low value, you can achieve a better finish sanding result. Some models have the ability to adjust these indicators, which allows you to process not only wooden surfaces, but also other materials.
- Outsole quality. The sander must have a perfectly flat, high-quality sole with a clear geometry. Cheaper options include a plastic or steel platform, expensive options include magnesium and aluminum alloys.
- The material from which the pad is made. A porous polymer pad is considered best, while rubber works worse with a plane.
The vibratory sander processes any surface with high quality. This is the best option for handling hard-to-reach places.
Belt sander ideal for professional use.
The belt-type design includes two rollers (driving and driven), which, in the course of their movement, actuate the belt attached to the tool sole. Depending on its pricing policy, this tape can be made of various materials.
An important technical characteristic of all grinders is their operating speed, which depends directly on the power of a particular model. For LSM, this value can be in the range from 500 W to 1200 W at a speed of 75-500 m per minute. Most of the manufacturing firms equip their products with a special regulator that allows you to control the belt speed.
The dimensions and other features of this tape also depend on the capabilities of the tool. Therefore, in the selection process, the following factors must be taken into account:
- Length and width. The more their values are, the more functional the model is. However, with the growth of these indicators, the weight of the machine, as well as its parameters, increases.
- Granularity. Usually, professionals recommend having in stock several of their varieties, which are designed for fine and rough grinding. Thus, you can count on the expected result of the work.
In general, LShM are industrial units with a sufficiently high power. With their help, large areas can be processed in a short period of time and, as a result, a perfectly smooth surface is obtained. It will be difficult for a person without experience to operate the grinder, which can lead to damage to the wooden surface.
Belt-type machines are ideal for rough and fast processing of wood, metal and plastic surfaces.
Grinding machine classification
At the moment, there are four types of grinding machines, which differ in the field of application, design, principle of operation and other criteria. The following types of grinding machines can be used for carpentry and joinery, as well as repair and construction works:
- LShM. belt grinders;
- VShM. vibration grinders;
- OShM. orbital sander;
- Delta sander.
The choice of the machine is directly influenced by the scale of the upcoming work (for home or professional use).
Tips for Choosing a Grinding Machine
With limited financial resources, it is better to purchase simple (basic) models for home use. Such copies can be found from any manufacturer. The most well-proven: Bosch, BlackDecker, Interskol, Sparky and Fiolent. Russian firms have significantly improved their products in terms of technical characteristics and quality.
Ergonomic features of the model allow you to comfortably carry out carpentry work.
Do not rush into choosing a sander. Only after carefully weighing all the pros and cons, you can purchase a quality tool that allows you to carry out repair work at a high level.
BOSCH GBS 75 AE
Test 5. Balancing the tape. “Automatic” against “Mechanics
In this section. about the features and mechanisms of balancing the tape in the tested LSHM.
DeWALT DW433. The belt tension mechanism is non-standard here. everything is tied up on the upper roller that deviates into the depth of the platform. Be careful, the spring-loaded tension lever can hurt your fingers.
The balancing itself is automatic: the barrel-shaped rollers prevent the belt from moving to the side. But there is also an additional manual adjustment: by rotating the centering screw, you can change the angle of installation of the front rollers, which will shift the belt to the side.
Makita 9404. The tension of the tape is normal here (the front roller is pulled back for loosening and forward for tension), but the rig is automatically balanced. Severe imbalance is eliminated by rotating the screw, which moves the front roller to the side. I liked very much that it is not necessary to catch the neutral position of the tape by twisting the screw back and forth: even a tiny displacement is achieved easily and quickly.
Hitachi SB10V2. The tensioning method is similar to the Makita LSHM, but manual balancing. Another difference: on the side, not the centering screw is spring-loaded, but the roller itself. It is not so convenient to balance the tape: after turning the screw, you have to wait until the tape stops moving, and then adjust its position. AEG HBS 1000 E, Metabo BAE 75, Bosch GBS 75 AE use a traditional manual setting: the position of the tape must be “caught” by manipulating the screw. In the first two machines, adjustment is achieved by varying the angle of the front roller (by the way, the tensioner lever and the centering screw handle are rubberized here), in Boschevskaya. lateral roller displacement.
Test 1. The rate of removal of the layer, or power. not important
And immediately one of the key tasks. At first glance, the favorites and the outsider in this competition are obvious, since the difference in characteristics is noticeable. However, let’s not rush to conclusions. One of the participants will definitely surprise you! We will find out who he is a little later. And the task for the models sounds like this: completely clean the surface of an old pine board 12 by 70 cm.Used the maximum speed and a tape with a grain of 60.
For the sake of interest, an additional condition was introduced. At the first stage, the machine grinded only under its own weight. On the second. the operation was repeated, but the LShM pressed a load weighing 2.5 kg (imitation of muscle effort). (Table 1).
Table one. Time “Stripping” the board 120×700
Under own weight
With a push of 2.5 kg
Bosch GBS 75 AE
A small note on these models: if, when turned on, it seemed to you that the car did not work, do not rush to get upset because of a breakdown, just the engine turns on with a delay of one second.
The main sensation. DeWALT DW433. A real tornado, a bunch of energy! The model “pulls” so well that sometimes it was necessary to hold a not very heavy workbench.
It seems that the data (power and size of the sole) are average, so what’s the secret? Here everything was decided by a solid mass. I will say more: there is no need to put pressure on the tool in work, since there will be no power reserve. The additional load will increase productivity, but the machine will grind harder.
Angle Grinder Wood Carving. Graff Speedcutter
AEG HBS 1000 E
- Power consumption, W: 1010.
- Belt dimensions, mm: 75×533.
- Belt speed, m / min.: 240-450.
- Electronic systems: speed control.
- Weight, kg: 5.1.
Test 4. Dust extraction
Of all the grinding machines in woodworking, the record holder is determined by the amount of dust left behind. This tool has not one, but two impellers, one of which is specially designed to discharge wood dust into the storage device. In the course of the next task, it is necessary to find out how effectively the dust removal system works for the tested machines. To do this, a 200×200 mm bar fixed on a workbench was ground for 5 minutes. Then it was subjectively assessed how much dust was lifted into the air and settled on the black surface of the workbench. A low rating means that the tool does not really “clean up after itself”. (Table 4).
Table four. Dust extraction efficiency, score
Bosch GBS 75 AE
Storage: multilayer cloth bag, made with high quality. It is mounted on the side of the case, it can be removed quickly. It is emptied thanks to the long zipper at the bottom. The case with LShM AEG also contains a rubber corner adapter for the vacuum cleaner.
Hitachi SB10V2, Makita 9404. Considering the high performance of these LSHMs, they sprayed a little and deserved a solid “four”.
Drive: in both cases. rag bag. Fits over the branch pipe.
Bosch GBS 75 AE. The dust extraction system works poorly here. Even after extensive grinding, the drive is almost empty. The paradox is that the tool leaves little dust, since performance is not its strong point.
Storage: a rag bag put on the branch pipe and additionally fixed with a clamp with a screw. Removal requires a screwdriver.
DeWALT DW433. The opposite is true. The container fills up rather quickly, but a lot of dust remains. Apparently, the system cannot cope with such a productive grinding. And this is another reason why it is not necessary to put pressure on such an already heavy tool: the benefit from a slowed impeller will be even less. By the way, the dust discharge into the drive of this model can be blocked by closing the shutter with a special lever. This will help when sanding without a dust collector (for example, in hard-to-reach places). waste will not fly around the room. But that’s not all. The most interesting. under the wide side cover. There is a separate separate impeller specifically for dust removal: it is mounted on a separate pulley, driven by a separate belt (in total, two belts are involved in the work).
Accumulator: Rigid-framed container on which a thick cloth bag is placed. Fastening is unusual. The container itself is inserted along the guides into a rubber adapter-expander and is fastened with a metal bracket from below. In turn, the adapter is attached to the branch pipe, and from below it clings with a rubber hook to the LShM body. To remove dust, it is enough to remove only the drive, the adapter can not be touched.