How to thread a heating pipe
The technique of threading on pipe blanks involves the use of the following techniques:
- Use of specialized threaded combs and cutters;
- thread rolling using round (flat) dies;
- preparation of the connection of the thread type using “traditional” taps and dies;
- Threading with specialized cutters.
Similarly, the preparation of connections with threading at home is likely only with the existence of specific devices and tools. In the recommended publication for you, we will look in detail at how to thread with a special threading kit (otherwise known as a “cluppa”).
First of all you need to stock up on all the necessary tools. A special electric unit is available for sale, but when buying it, you should consider the size of the tool. It is difficult to thread a pipe near a wall with an oversized machine.
The best option is to do the work by hand. The following tools are needed to thread a pipe near a wall:
The thread on the pipe near the wall should be such that the nut can be removed without difficulty. In some cases, people cover the installation joint with a dyeing compound. It is not recommended to do this. Especially for this purpose there are lubricants and foum tape. Why sealants are needed? They allow you to prevent leaks. Screwing and unscrewing the nut will be done without any problems.
In order to thread a pipe near the wall does not require special knowledge. All work is carried out according to the standard scheme. In some cases, it may be necessary to hollow out the wall slightly to be able to carve the thread without great effort.
The riser pipe must be closed off before beginning work. Then the construction is cut off with leaving an area for threading. Care should be taken when cutting the pipe. Make sure that the cut is smooth. This allows you to attach the strip more quickly and easily. If the cut is not very smooth, you can use a grinding wheel to give it the necessary texture.
You need to use a pipe cutter to thread the structure next to the wall. A chamfer on the cut will help make the first turn easier. It is recommended to coat the strip and the tube near the wall with grease before the work. Then place the strip on the construction. You perform a careful rotary movement. 2 turns forward and 1.5 turns backward. to thread the product. Try to do the job as carefully as possible.
For a good hold, you need to make 7 turns, which is 10 millimeters in total. Make sure that the bar is inserted correctly. Its movement should be smooth, slow and aligned. Do not allow jerks.
Threading a pipe with a large diameter, located near the wall. a very difficult task, especially for the nonprofessional. In this case, you can replace the plier with a claw tool. You can find both hand and power tools in stores. The manual version is cheaper, but the electric clevis is easier to work with. The choice is yours.
When doing the work it is important to carefully fix the structure. It is good if you do not do it alone. If the structure has two swages, it is recommended to buy a laird or a special tool to make the turns manually.
Before working with a crane, it is recommended to cover the coils with grease. Lard can be used as such. If there is no sealing grease, you can use foaming tape. A faucet, on the other hand, requires a silicone gasket.
How to Thread Pipe EXTREMELY FAST
So, the work is done. However, this is not all. Need to check the design for reliability and quality. After visual inspection is recommended to open the water and see if the design is not leaking. If all is well, you can consider the work done.
How to thread a tube with your own hands
To make the threading of the pipe with your own hands, you initially need to perform a series of preparatory steps:
- Thoroughly deburr the tube in the area where you plan to thread.
- Finish the end part of the product with a file.
- Lubricate the working area to reduce resistance.
To threading process was convenient, and the final result satisfies the requirements, before carrying out actions it is necessary to fix the products in a vise. This will fix the part so that you can perform the necessary actions with both hands. After that, the following steps are carried out:
- A screwdriver is used with a die of the required diameter, by which a roughing pass is carried out. It is important to keep the strip strictly perpendicular to the pipe.
- The roughing pass is the basis of threading, so you should not hurry, and perform the actions slowly but qualitatively.
- A rough cut allows you to get 2-3 threads. This is the number of threads needed for the tool to take a secure position.
- The next step is to twist the roughing die, and use the finishing die. With its help, the necessary number of threads are cut on the pipe that is planned to be installed in the water supply or heating system.
- After each pass it is necessary to make 0.5 turns back in order to clean the place of the cut from shavings.
- The final step is to use the third strip, which is used for the control pass.
When threading, it is important to proceed slowly and with each subsequent pass clean the place of the cut from metal shavings.
Pipe threads are divided into five types, but the most popular options are tapered and cylindrical. These types of pipe threading are often encountered by households. There are two methods for threading a water pipe:
- Automatic, which involves threading water pipes using special machines and power tools.
- Manual. Special hand tools are used for this purpose.
If by duty it is necessary for a person to thread a large number of pipes, then it is appropriate to purchase a special power tool, which will facilitate manual labor.
When the need to obtain a threaded connection is a single case, then manual technology is suitable for such purposes. On water pipes, as well as pipes of heating systems, threading is carried out with a die.
Tap (another name is lerka). this is the simplest device designed for cutting the external threaded connection on pipes.
Tap is a steel disc, and its inner diameter has axial holes in varying numbers, depending on the size of the product. The edges of these holes form the cutters with which the threading is performed. To ensure the reliability of such tools, they are made of alloyed steels or carbide alloys.
dies can be of different shapes (round, square, hexagonal or prismatic) but more often the disc type is used. Disc type dies are used for making threaded joints in water pipes. To make it convenient to work with strip, they are additionally equipped with collars and screw locks. Dies are also available as solid, split and split dies.
One-piece dies for threading pipes have one serious drawback. it is fast wear of cutters. This is due to the rigidity of the product’s own design. Slotted or spring-loaded dies are less rigid, which significantly increases the lifetime of the product. Due to the spring mechanism such pipe threading tool enables to vary the diameter of the threaded connections within the range from 0.1 to 0.3 mm. This type of tool has a high resistance to tool wear, but does not guarantee high precision.
Sliding dies are 2 working parts which are designed to fit into the clamping module. The heading with a special clamping module forms a tool called a socket punch. Tap is fixed in the crescent with a sliding block and an adjusting screw. It is by means of the adjusting screw that the thread diameter is adjusted.
Usually pipe tongs are supplied with inserts of different diameters. With this set you can always cut a thread on pipe of any diameter.
How to thread the pipe yourself?
Self-tapping begins with a number of preparatory steps:
- Cutting a piece of pipe to size. When replacing a damaged section of the pipeline, the first thing to do is to carefully cut out the section in a strictly perpendicular direction to the wall. If this condition is not met.
- Cleaning the threaded area. All paint and corrosion must be removed completely from where the pipe thread is to be cut: if this is not done, the work can be clearly hampered.
- Chamfering. To make the work easier, you need to remove the chamfer from the pipe ends.