How To Choose A Wood Sander
Below are the models of grinders recommended by specialists. Distinctive characteristics are highlighted for each model.
Grinder Graphite 59G394. Small front roller diameter (16mm) and optional tilt-angle handle make sanding easy in tight spaces.
2.The Makita 9920 is a powerful and professional belt sander with electronic speed control for optimum performance. Automatic lateral adjustment of the belt allows the surface to be sanded to the very edge.
The Difference between Orbital Sander & Random Orbit Sander | Bosch Power Tools Sanding Solutions
LSHM Makita 9910 is lightweight, and also has low power, but despite this, it easily performs the tasks of cleaning varnish, sanding and removing shallow irregularities. The machine speeds can be adjusted. In addition, the device is equipped with a comfortable handle, an automatic dust collector and a convenient, simple belt tensioning mechanism. The simplicity of the design does not negatively affect the results, provided that the manufacturer’s recommendations are followed and the adjustment is correct.
Characteristics of LSHM Makita 9910:
- type. tape;
- power. 650 W;
- the width of the abrasive belt. 76 mm;
- the length of the abrasive belt. 457 mm;
- Max. movement speed. 270 m / min;
- device operation. from the network;
- weight. 2.7 kg;
- connection cable length. 3000 mm;
- complete set. dust collector and sanding belt;
- device length. 262 mm;
- height. 130 mm;
- warranty. 1 year.
- lack of a belt speed regulator;
- insufficient quality dust collector;
- the vacuum cleaner is difficult to clean;
- rapid belt wear;
- no indicator for filling the dust container.
The model of the DeWALT company ends our rating of the best eccentric sanders. No, this does not mean that the DWE6423 is inconvenient or unreliable: it is just that it is already a tool in the amateur segment, and by its standards it could have reached the top.
The engine power here is 280 W, the vibration amplitude is 2.4 mm. The machine is compact and lightweight, which will allow it to be successfully used in delicate finishing works. Adjustment of revolutions is provided (although the wheel was installed in a place somewhat strange from the point of view of ergonomics) and their electronic stabilization. The only pity is that you have to hold it by the “head”. there is no side handle.
Standard dust removal works well, although, of course, you should still connect a vacuum cleaner. However, do not forget that this machine is not very suitable for professional practice: the brushes wear out quickly, and the platform drive itself is worn out. In the home workshop, it will last a long time and will only deliver positive impressions.
- Low vibrations
- Rubberized grip points
- Speed stabilization
- No side handle
8.9 / 10 Rating
Reviews: I think the purchase was successful. I have a hobby. making furniture, this machine gives you no problems to work for your pleasure on the weekend.
BOSCH PBS 75 AE
BOSCH PBS 75 AE
LSHM Bosch PBS 75 AE 06032A1120 has a high efficiency, and is used for grinding surfaces of various materials. The tool starts smoothly thanks to the inrush current limiting function. The ability to adjust the belt movement within the range of 200-350 m / min allows you to make precise settings for cleaning or grinding a certain type of surface. The device has a lever mechanism for securing the tape, which allows you to quickly and conveniently replace it. The presence of a microfiltration system reduces dust formation. Convenient removable handle allows you to comfortably perform the necessary work.
- type. tape;
- power. 750 W;
- the width of the abrasive belt. 75 mm;
- abrasive belt length. 533 mm;
- Max. movement speed. 350 m / min;
- device operation. from the network;
- machine weight. 3.5 kg;
- connection cable length. 3000 mm;
- complete set. dust collector and tape;
- warranty. 2 years.
- the presence of a microfiltration system;
- the ability to perform large volumes of work without interruption;
- quality of grinding;
- comfortable grip.
- high price;
- heavy weight.
Advantages and disadvantages
The advantages of grinders include:
- High speed, processing efficiency.
- Creation of a high-quality, even surface.
- Versatility, the ability to perform several types of processing.
- Ability to work not only with wood, but also with other materials.
- Simplicity and relative safety of working with the tool.
The disadvantages of machines should be considered:
- The need to connect to the power supply.
- Dependence on the availability and quality of sandpaper (tape, circles, etc.).
- Large amount of dust emitted during operation.
- The need for maintenance, cleaning and proper care.
Expert opinion Kulikov Vladimir Sergeevich Despite some shortcomings, users highly appreciate all types of grinding tools. The high demand for it clearly shows the demand and need for machines for professionals and home craftsmen.
Interskol UPM-180 / 1300EM
Best polishing machine
Country: Russia (made in China)
Rating (2020): 5.0
The delivery set includes 2 bases with small kits. The first one with a diameter of 180 mm and a Velcro bottom. There are two sandpaper and a sheepskin. The second base is made of flexible rubber without Velcro at the bottom, and it is secured with a circle with a drawstring. Diameter 170 mm. An additional handle in the form of a bracket comes with a pair of bolts and a hexagon. There are 3 attachments for the additional handle in the gearbox housing. All of them are characterized by the same thread. To prevent the handle from turning on the body there are channels to strengthen the rigidity of the attachment.
- blocking the shaft;
- speed regulator (400-2200 rpm);
- smooth start;
- stabilization of revolutions with feedback;
- overload fuse.
The wire is quite long. 3.9 meters. The weight of the grinder is 2.9 kg without a wire, and with a wire it is already 3.2. The circle is slightly loose when installed. The noise level is low. Perfectly polishes car headlights, as well as body elements. The perfect choice at a reasonable price.
Which belt sander to choose?
To choose the right belt sander, you should pay attention to the following parameters:
- Working part speed. the higher the speed, the faster and more precisely the surface is sanded. Depending on the model, the speed can vary from 200 to 420 rpm.
- Belt size. this parameter affects the speed and accuracy of grinding. But be careful! The larger the size, the faster the grinding occurs, but at the same time its accuracy decreases.
- Power. The higher the power, the better the tool will handle hard and more difficult surfaces such as hard hardwood (oak). Thanks to the high power, the tool can work longer without overheating.
If we need a wood belt sander, how to choose the right power? Belt sanders with motor power up to 1000 W are mainly designed for light jobs, while those with motor power over 1400 W will perform well under short-term but heavy loads.
How does a belt sander work and why?
Note, wood belt sander. the most productive and most powerful in the class of equipment presented. It copes well with a large amount of work, especially where you need to grind a lot and quickly. If you compare it with agricultural machinery, then this is a tractor for virgin lands. However, this tool can be adapted for processing smaller parts, because some manufacturers complete the machines with additional equipment that allows them to be turned into small grinding machines. The only thing that you limit yourself to. This is the grain of the tape, because the most popular sizes. 60, 80 and 120, and the smallest. 230 mm. Smaller sizes, unfortunately, are either extremely rare or made homemade, which is not always good for the instrument itself.
The design of the tape machine is simple and reliable. The main drive of this machine. belt. The abrasive belt is connected in a ring, the movement of which is provided by two rollers, like a caterpillar on a tractor. This design allows for impressive rotational speeds. For some models, it may exceed 500 m / min. Depending on the performance and its class, the rollers can be made of different materials. In the household class, both rollers are made of plastic, covered with rubber. In the hobby class of cars, the rear drive roller is made of metal, and in professional equipment, both rollers are metal (although there are machines for complex work equipped with two plastic rollers). But this performance has its downsides. due to the high speed of rotation of the belt, some components are exposed to overheating, especially for household machines. Manufacturers of professional tools install special cork (graphite) gaskets, which reduce the temperature and make it possible to work with the machine for a long time.
- Peel off paint, varnish, darkening;
- Remove irregularities from a wooden board;
- Grinding large areas.
As you understand, this device works quite roughly and after such grinding, the question immediately arises as to more delicate processing of the workpiece with which you are working. Then they will need to be smoothed out either with the notorious sandpaper in the hand, or with vibration or eccentric machines, which are more delicate in grinding.
When choosing LSHM, we take into account the following characteristics:
- Electric motor power
The spectrum is in the range from 0.5 to 1.2 kW. The more powerful the engine, the heavier the machine, has a high belt speed and does not need excessive pressure, that is, it works well under its own weight, which is convenient for horizontal grinding.
- Belt speed
Possible in the range from 150 to 550 meters per minute. The higher this indicator, the more area you will be able to process in a short time. For most models, for convenience, a speed regulator is installed, since the work may not always be of the same type and the material can be not only wood, but also plastic and metal, then you obviously cannot do without it. With high friction, the wood starts to burn.
- Belt width
Abrasive belts come in two basic sizes. 75×533 mm and 76×457 mm. These sizes are suitable for almost 80% of belt sanders from different manufacturers. There are other sizes, but they are less common and are only suitable for narrow specific jobs.
- Protective systems
Protection of the motor against overheating and overload only if it has a speed controller installed (only in a professional power tool). Reducing the heating of some elements of the case is also mainly used in professional and hobby-class tools.
Each machine is equipped with a garbage bag or a special filter. But, as practice shows, they collect no more than 70% of dust, so connecting a construction vacuum cleaner will ideally solve this issue.
- Additional elements
- clamps for securely attaching the machine to the table (turns the machine into a machine and makes it possible to work with small parts);
- an additional frame prevents distortions during grinding;
- rip fence and crosscut fence. increase work precision.
Vibrating or flat grinder, its features and advantages
The choice of sander for wood in its final processing always fluctuates between two types. vibration and orbital (eccentric) model. They both rub the surface well to perfect smoothness and cleanliness. But in a surface grinding (aka vibration) sole, as a rule, it is larger. Therefore, for serious volumes of work, it is better to choose it.
The structure of the PSHM is as follows: the engine is located vertically, the rotation mechanism is an eccentric, and at the output we get a clockwise vibration movement. The range of motion depends on the size of the sole and the rotation mechanism itself. The outsole is perpendicular to the engine and the sandpaper attachment is very comfortable. on the sides of the sole there are “dogs” that firmly and reliably fix the tape. The big plus is that you don’t have to stick with the standard size of the skins. You can just buy sandpaper in rolls, cut off the required size and work.
Also, these machines are very popular for sanding plaster, walls and plasterboard joints. But this is not their profile direction, but rather. misuse of the tool. In such operating modes, they can fail faster, since the dust protection system is designed only for working with wood dust.
The advantages of this design:
- Low cost;
- Quick change of grinding skins;
- The shape of the sole allows you to work in corners, sand the edges without leaving so-called “dead” zones;
- The device is lightweight, compact and convenient.
When choosing a device, pay attention to:
In this type of equipment, it makes no sense to install a super-powerful engine, therefore the motor power of the largest machine does not exceed 400 W and it is enough, since installing a more powerful engine significantly increases the weight of the machine, and this will greatly limit the speed of operation.
- The amplitude of movement of the sole
It can range from 1 to 5 mm. The higher the amplitude, the less effective the quality of surface grinding, but at the same time productive.
- Oscillation frequency of the sole
Also an important parameter. The higher the vibration frequency. the cleaner the grinding is. But not equally good for all materials.
- The size and shape of the working platform
The soles are rectangular, square and deltoid. Rectangular. for flat large surfaces, deltoid and square. convenient for radii and hard-to-reach places.
- rectangular. 185 and 229 mm;
- square. 114 mm;
- deltoid. 100 mm.
The material of the sole also matters. Most machines have a plastic outsole with glued rubber for better cushioning. But, as practice shows, in inexpensive machines, these soles have a slight factory curvature, which is not suitable for prof. work, but for everyday tasks it is enough. For professional, the opposite is true. instead of plastic, durable, composite materials are used, and in its large mass the sole is made of light alloy, so the accuracy and quality of work is guaranteed. A special porous material is attached to the outsole.
- Fastening emery
Rigid and stable fastening of the skin is provided by spring-loaded clips (“crocodiles”). The replacement is quick and convenient. However, there is an even faster way to attach and replace. with Velcro. But such a sole has very high wear.
- Forced dust extraction
As with belt sanders, the dust extraction system works effectively only with the connection of a vacuum cleaner.
Grinding is used both for large, flat surfaces and for round blanks, grooves, finishing of decorative elements, for sealing joints and joints. The range of grinding works is quite wide, so there is no universal machine that would grind everything in the world with the same efficiency. Modern manufacturers present such a variety of tools for grinding that it is not so easy for a beginner, but even for a professional, to determine on the fly which grinder is best for wood.
First, you need to clearly know what task you will set for your instrument, for what, in fact, it is intended. This is important, since grinders differ from each other not only in power, but also in design and operating principle. Each class of machines is designed for specific tasks. Therefore, I will introduce you to the main types that it is advisable to know for the right choice.
And there are not so many of them, only three:
- Tape machines. remove a rough layer of paint, varnish, black from wooden surfaces. They do it quickly enough, roughly, but very effectively. Grinding thanks to the rotating belt;
- Flat sanding. sanding is performed thanks to a vibrating sole on which sandpaper is put on. Also well suited for removing paint, varnishes and, depending on the size of the sole, they successfully carry out finishing work;
- Eccentric ones have the most complex grinding mechanism, but thanks to this they make it possible to perform any grinding work delicately, ideally bring the surface to be painted or hidden with varnish and give the best quality result.
Ideally, for a good craftsman, furniture workshop, carpentry workshop, all three types are needed. Since their purpose is different. As you can see, they are necessary for different stages of sanding wood or other materials. plastic, metal (not profile materials for processing). But if finances do not allow, then choose the one that you most need. You can try to finish everything else manually. Although difficult and not very convenient, it can also be time consuming.
Now I will tell you in detail about each type of grinder, which will undoubtedly help you in your further choice.
How to choose a wood sander
expert of the category “Power Tools”
Wood, despite its hardness. the material is surprisingly pliable. It can take any, even the most bizarre forms, depending on what product the master wants to surprise the audience with.
Wood processing is a multifaceted process. What is not done with a wooden blank to achieve the final result. It is sawn, planed, trimmed, hammered, milled.
One of the final stages of processing is grinding. It seems that there is nothing complicated in it. walk the tool with an emery cloth over the surface. However, everything is not so simple.
Grinding is a laborious work, requires patience and skill, besides, it is always accompanied by the worst enemy of a working person. the smallest wood dust.
Which sander to choose for wood to make sanding simple and affordable, more comfortable and dust-free, I will tell you in this article.
You will learn what types of wood sanders exist on the modern market, how to choose the right one for your job, how to use it to achieve a flat and smooth surface, without roughness and burrs.
How eccentric (orbital) grinders work and what are their strengths
These machines are somewhat similar in design to PSHM. an abrasive cloth is attached down to the platform, the engine is located in the housing in a vertical position and there is an eccentric. The movement occurs not only with a certain vibration frequency, but also with additional rotation of the sole around its axis. over, both movements occur simultaneously, which makes sanding amazingly clean and smooth. no scratches, no waves, no roughness.
There are 2 types of machine rotation:
This type of technique is used in furniture production, performing finishing work before opening the surface with varnish, paint, wood polishing and is very popular among craftsmen who are engaged in the restoration of old wooden products.
To choose the right orbital machine, we carefully look at the following indicators:
- Motor power. electric motors in this technique also do not require high power, as in PSHM. Average power range. from 150 to 350 watts. But there are models where the power reaches 750 W;
- Vibration amplitude of the sole. The range of motion and vibration is also similar to the PSHM. from 1 to 5.5 mm;
- Oscillation frequency / Number of revolutions. In terms of the number of oscillations, the parameters are also similar to the PSHM, but the number of revolutions may be different. from 4000 to 12000;
- The size and shape of the working platform. It happens only in a round shape, and there are only two standard, most popular sizes. 125 and 150 mm;
- Fastening emery. The fastening of the soles of these sanders is almost 100%. Velcro. This option is extremely convenient for a quick change of grinding materials;
- Forced dust removal. This system, like the previous types, independently removes up to 70% of dust, so I recommend using construction vacuum cleaners.
General recommendations to help the master make the perfect choice
- For household chores, choose a machine that is lightweight and comfortable. After all, you need to hold it in your hands, sometimes for a very long time. I recommend considering the following brands: Hyundai, Einhell, Stark. The hobby class is represented by TM Sparky, and in the professional segment the leaders are Metabo, Makita, Dewalt;
- Always carefully inspect the structure and test it for convenience. For example, the handle may be a staple handle, but you may prefer the “mushroom” handle. If possible, take a model with an additional handle;
- Explore all the parameters we talked about above. speed, frequency, amplitude, tape and sole size, etc. And then measure them according to your tasks. what exactly suits you best. The best sander for wood. individual choice of each user;
- If money allows, then choose a grinder with a speed regulator. They are comfortable and reliable, designed for safety and comfort.
Which wood sander to choose
At least once in my life, but there was a need to use a grinding machine for repair or finishing work. There are several main types of grinding equipment, whose purpose is determined by the principle of operation and design feature. For repair, construction, joinery and carpentry work, the following types of grinders are chosen:
- a belt sander should be chosen for rough and aggressive processing of metal, wood and plastic surfaces;
- the orbital sander has a rectangular sole and is used for a more gentle finish;
- a delta sander is a type of orbital sander and has a triangular sole;
- The eccentric sander allows the material to be processed to a polished state due to the oscillatory and rotational movements of the sanding pad. However, this sander is not suitable for working with internal corners and small areas.
Using belt sanders for wood
It is advisable to choose a belt sander for wood when it is necessary to quickly remove a significant layer, for example, to remove old paint or when sanding an unplaned board. Sanders of this type are also preferred for processing the mowing line of the cut of lumber and more accurate fitting of parts.
Material processing is carried out by means of a looped emery belt stretched over the rotating rollers of a grinder. During rotation, the strip of abrasive strips off the layer of material, much like an electric plane does. The thickness of the removed layer of material directly depends on the grain size of the tape.
When deciding which wood sander to choose for the house, and stopping at the belt option, you should pay attention to the width and length of the abrasive strip used, as well as the speed of its rotation. The area of the processed surface directly depends on the width of the belt, and the degree and aggressiveness of sawn timber processing depends on the speed of rotation. In belt sanders, abrasive strips of standard size are used. 76×457 mm, 76×533 mm and 76×610 mm. The belt speed is 150-500 m / min, and the power is 400-1200 W. Also in the belt sander there is such a rather useful function as smooth adjustment of the speed of rotation of the abrasive strip and its automatic centering, which prevents slipping of the belt from the rollers.
Abrasive belt for a sander can be of two types. with a layer of zirconium or aluminum oxide. Zirconia abrasive belt allows for deeper, but more aggressive processing, during which a large number of surface scratches occur. Subsequently, additional processing will be required using a fine-grained tape. If it is necessary to grind a metal surface, it is advisable to choose a belt with a zirconium abrasive layer, moreover, it can be used to sharpen the cutting edge of the tool.
Application of orbital sanders
Despite the fact that there are several varieties of vibration grinders, the principle of operation is almost the same. The grinding process occurs due to slight oscillatory and circular movements of the working grinding surface. For sanding, a sheet of sandpaper of various grain sizes is selected, which is fixed to the sole with Velcro or clips. Quite often, the choice of vibration sanders is due to the fact that they allow you to achieve high quality processing, and are used to work with almost any type of material: metal, wood, plastic, putty, and so on. Orbital sanders are widely used in car body repairs, as they are good at removing old paintwork and rust.
The degree of processing directly depends on the amplitude of the oscillations. For rough material processing, it is preferable to choose a vibration amplitude of 4-5 mm, and for a finer one. 1.5-3 mm. The adjustable speed of rotation in household models of grinders is from 2000 to 5000 rpm, and the oscillation speed can be up to 25000 per minute. Adjusting the rotational speed, vibration and amplitude of the eccentric are quite useful options for vibration type sanders.
Quite an important parameter when choosing this tool is the power of the orbital sander, the range of which is 150-600 W. It should be noted that the higher the power of the tool, the higher the productivity and the time of continuous work, respectively. Another rather important factor taken into account when choosing a tool that makes it advisable to use vibration-type sanders for repairing cars is the area and shape of the sanding pad. The sole can be rectangular, square or deltoid.
Choosing an orbital sander for working with wood
When choosing a tool, it should be borne in mind that orbital sanders for wood are similar in principle to rectangular orbital sanders, but they differ in greater productivity, better grinding and polishing due to a complex vibration path. Grinding is carried out using a disc with an abrasive nozzle up to 150 mm in diameter, various grain sizes or felt polishing discs.
When choosing a tool, it should be borne in mind that the power of orbital sanders for wood is about 200-650 W with a rotation of 13,000 rpm, and an eccentric vibration speed of up to 24,000 per minute. The adjustment of the number of vibrations, revolutions and the adjustment of the eccentric amplitude are made in the same way as with the vibration sander for wood, and are quite useful functions.
Almost all types of grinders, whether they are used for working with wood, metal or other material, are characterized by the formation of dust during operation. Most of these models have holes in the sole for collecting dust or special dust collectors. This function is especially useful when working indoors, so when deciding which grinder to choose for carpentry, you should give preference to models with dust collectors. You should also pay attention to the length of the cord, since with a short wire you will have to constantly use an extension cord, which is not always convenient. You can, of course, choose for your work and battery models of grinders. When choosing, you should pay attention to the weight and shape of the grinder handle, just holding it in your hands for a while and trying to turn on and adjust the operating modes.
To better understand how and which sander you should choose, watch the following video: