How To Trim Ceiling Skirting Boards
Using a miter box to cut skirting boards
In carpentry, a special device made of wood, metal or plastic is often used. a miter box. Special cuts are made in it, which allow you to make an even cut at 90º, 45º, and in more complex devices. even at 60º. There are also professional miter boxes equipped with a swivel mechanism. In them, the cutting tool can be installed and fixed at any angle to the workpiece. Before making a ceiling plinth in the corners, you need to understand the details.
How to Caulk like a Pro
To cut the inner corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box, you must:
- First, the skirting board must be attached to the ceiling surface and mark the length.
- Now a piece of plinth is placed in the miter box in the same position as it should be placed on the ceiling.
- The plinth is tightly pressed against the back wall of the miter box.
- Hold the work piece with one hand to keep it from shifting while cutting.
- The hacksaw is set at an angle of 45º to the workpiece.
- Cut the plinth, controlling the degree of pressure of the hacksaw, so as not to damage the product.
- Then proceed to cutting the counter piece of the skirting board. It is also applied to the far wall of the miter box.
- The workpiece is pressed and held by hand so that it does not move.
- The hacksaw is installed at an angle of 45º to the workpiece so that the direction of the cut is opposite to the first element of the plinth.
- Cut off the corner of the plinth.
After trimming the ceiling plinths in the corners, they proceed to the joining of the resulting elements. If the cutting was carried out accurately, they will fit snugly together.
Please note that it is recommended to start cutting the inner corner of the skirting board from the front side. Then the cut line will be more accurate and even. As for the wooden elements, then all the flaws on them will need to be cleaned up with a file. “How to properly cut the ceiling plinth in the corners. options and methods for plinths from different materials”.
Floor, Wall, Ceiling Trim in Revit Tutorial
Let’s take a look at how to cut the outer corner of a ceiling plinth using a miter box:
- It is best to start marking and measuring the ceiling plinth from the inner corner, and only after completing it, start cutting the outer corner. Otherwise, the plank may be short, not enough to fill the entire length of the ceiling.
- The plinth is applied to the ceiling and its length is marked.
- Then the workpiece is placed in a miter box and pressed against the front wall.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º and, holding the workpiece with your hand, saw off the corner.
- Similarly, you must cut off the opposite part of the outer corner.
- The workpiece is pressed against the front of the miter box.
- The hacksaw is placed at an angle of 45º to the plinth and the workpiece is sawn off.
Upon completion of the work, the pieces of the skirting board are joined together, checking if everything is done correctly and evenly.
It is worth noting that the miter box can help to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth as evenly as possible only if the walls are strictly perpendicular. If they are uneven, and the angles are not precise, this device is unlikely to be useful. “How to properly cut the corner of the ceiling plinth. rules and methods”.
How to properly cut the corners of the ceiling plinth under the ceiling
The method is used in the case when the walls have irregularities. straight sections offset relative to their axis and bends. A protractor won’t help here. The products must be attached to understand how to draw the line marking. Uncertainty can be measured, but surface bending is much more difficult to calculate than linear deviation. If you do not take into account the rounded shape, there will be a small gap. You have to put up with this when you can only cut on the floor. hard parts are difficult to handle in a suspended state. The easiest way to make prefabricated elements of soft polystyrene foam by weight.
The foam fillet is alternately pressed against two curved legs so that it repeats their shape, and outlined with a pencil. You should get two conditionally perpendicular mowing lines. The place of their intersection serves as the main reference point. It is selected so that the line is visible on the surface. Then the bar is applied again, pressing the end, and cut from the obtained point to the intersection of the walls. The perpendicular element is also processed. The main thing is to keep the knife straight and not deviate from the given direction.
In this case, the parts are also fixed. To cut the lath pressed against the left sidewall, insert the saw from the right.
In the case when the rail is an integral part of the external and internal joint, the internal joint is first drawn up. Then the rail is applied to the installation site to make markings for the external one. Doing it right away is very risky. You can cut off the excess, and then the length of the prefabricated element will not be enough. There will be a noticeable gap. It is easier and faster to perform actions in the correct sequence. Step-by-step instructions on how to cut the corner of the ceiling plinth with your own hands, see the video.
For the outer corner. the plinth is applied to the right side of the miter box (or to the one closest to you, if the template is placed across the desktop), aligned along the plane and the wall, and then cut off or sawed off using the template.
The prepared plinth is applied to the ceiling, the desired length is set aside.
Then this very bar is inserted into the miter box exactly as it will be located on the ceiling. It must be pressed against the far wall of the device. In this position, the plinth is held with the left hand.
The blade of the hacksaw should be in such a position that its angle is 45 degrees, and the handle is as close as possible to the hand. Trying to avoid pressing the saw, carefully cut the workpiece.
Next, at the plinth, you need to cut off the striker. It is also placed at the far wall of the instrument, holding and pressing, this time with the right hand.
The position of the hacksaw is similar to the previous procedure. its handle approaches the hand at an angle of 45 degrees. The skirting board is trimmed.
Then the finished, already cut strips are docked. the accuracy of the fit is checked. It is believed that for better orientation, when making an inner corner, it is better to start cutting from the front of the product. The cuts usually have to be adjusted with a file.
How to trim ceiling plinths in corners using a miter box
In the middle of the workpiece, a square is drawn and grooves are made along it in the sidewalls to the very bottom. Placing the saw in the farthest furrows will give us the 45 degrees we need. The sides should not bend or wobble when cutting, otherwise the blade will get stuck in them, and the cut will turn out to be uneven. You can only work with products made of solid materials that keep their shape well. You need to make sure that the product is absolutely reliable, and its sides will not fall off at the most crucial moment. Handing a sharp object can cause injury.