Winding a fishing line onto the reel of a STIHL grass trimmer
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer
You do not need any special skills to wind a line for a trimmer on a gasoline or electric grass trimmer. First, it is important to determine the correct consumable, and then choose the best method. To tuck the line for the trimmer into the spool of the device, you can use two different ways.
The main element of the trimmer is a mowing head, which is a cylindrical body with a spool (bobbin) inserted inside. This is where the fishing line for the trimmer (cord) is fed in. Mowing heads differ from each other by the way they feed and thread. There are three types of heads in total:
- Automatic. The line is fed after the user has reduced the engine speed. Automatic cord feed is very convenient when you need to do a lot of work. Minus of such head is the high consumption of thread.
- Semi-automatic. The use of such a head does not require the user to perform any complicated manipulations. The way it works is that the line for the trimmer starts to extend automatically when the grass trimmer is running at full speed. Just bang the head of the machine lightly on the ground (this removes the blocking of the line), and the cord due to the centrifugal force will move out of the bobbin. Then trimmer line is trimmed to the required length with a knife, which is located on the protective cover.
- Manual. To extend the cord, you must stop the machine. After that, the line for the trimmer will need to be pulled by hand.
Choice of line
To make sure you get the right line in the trimmer head, it’s important to choose the right kind of material. The thicker the cord you tuck in, the thicker and tougher the grass it can cut. A universal line for trimmers is often used, which has a diameter of 2 mm. You can choose the right diameter for your mower in the following ways:
- Check the information on the thickness of the line in the instruction manual that comes with the trimmer.
- Pay attention to the bobbin itself. Sometimes it is labeled with information about possible line diameters.
- Another option is to try to insert the cord into the outlet. If it passes through it without difficulty, then the chosen line diameter is suitable for use.
You can choose the cord according to the type of motor. If the line for the trimmer will be too thick, then the resistance to rotation will increase. the engine in this case will be greatly overheated and will soon fail. Useful Recommendations:
- For an electric device with a motor less than 500 V, a 1.3 mm thick thread will do. If you can’t find it, you can use 1.6mm fishing line for your trimmer. If the power is greater than 1 kW, then choose a 2 mm diameter cord.
- The gasoline trimmer for grass matters the shaft mower. For the bent version, a 2 mm cord is often used. If the shaft is straight, then install a 2.4-2.5 or 3 mm thread. The thickest line for the trimmer is installed on powerful devices. from 1.3 kW.
Pay attention to the type of cross-section of the cord as well. Some popular options:
- The most common fishing lines with a circular cross section. They mow fresh grass well, but perform worse with brushwood, dead wood.
- Twisted (spiral) cord is not very strong, but not bad for thin young grass.
- Serrated filament with sharp edges is ideal for large weeds in a neglected area.
- You can mow the lawn more evenly with rectangular, star or square grass trimmer lines, but they are not very durable.
- The strongest cord is a two-part cord with an inner core and a circular cross section.
Keep in mind that you can’t use wire, metal strings and ropes, or regular fishing line instead of fishing line. The device will be dangerous for both the user and others. So the rope or similar products will gradually begin to work together, as a result, their ends will unravel, and the small pieces will fly apart with great speed.
How to wind a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer reel: ways to wind it up and
Every garden owner knows how quickly weeds can invade a space. An effortless grass trimmer helps you win them over. This indescribably useful device. an indispensable assistant in trimming and mowing grass. It’s no secret that an ordinary lawnmower can be used far from everywhere. In contrast, the trimmer under force to handle even very difficult areas. This is especially true for those tools, in whose role as a cutting element is not a knife, and line for trimmer
Hand-held petrol mower. Changing a line on a spool.
In this video I show you how simple and easy to coil line for trimmer on the handlebar spool without the help of others.
Changing a line in a trimmer: 2 simple ways
Grass trimmer. a suitable and necessary tool for the countryside and personal home. Many people own and intensively use it, but not everyone knows how to change lines for trimmer in trimmer, especially at first.
In this annotation we will step by step explain the whole process of substitution. Looking ahead, there are two methods of threading the trimmer bobbin. No principal difference. the difference is that in the first case it will be tucked in one line for the trimmer, folded in half, and in the 2-nd such lines will be two segments.
What kind of lines are there?
The most common type of line, which fits almost all types of spool is cord with a circular cross-section. It is a common trimmer line that is good for cutting lush grass, but much harder for cutting dead grass, and it certainly cannot cut through brush.
As a rule, the diameter with which you can mow young grass does not exceed 1.6 mm. The thicker the thread, the heavier the grass it can cut.
Important! Choose fishing line for the grass trimmer should be guided by the instructions for your tool, as a thin thread will increase wear on the torque mechanism, and thick to overload the engine.
There are lines with sharp edges in the form of a star or a square, this version is more adapted to mowing dry grass just due to the presence of sharp edges, but the disadvantage is more wear and tear and its strength is inferior to the circular cord.
There are fishing lines with improved aerodynamics with characteristic dents, scales and notches, such a product makes less noise, but it is used only on benzokosa, since the output of such a thread from the spool is difficult, it is used most often with discs, in which are inserted segments. The disadvantage of such a product is its fragility.
most often used in gasoline-powered trimmers with engines of more than 1.5 liters.с. cords with a metal cord inside are used. Such thread is ideal for mowing dry grass and small bushes. The presence of a core, positively affects the durability of this material. The disadvantage of this cord is its price, which is significantly higher than the above-mentioned opponents.
Getting ready. remove and disassemble the bobbin
Most models of electric and gasoline-powered trimmers require that you remove the spool for line replacement. The FUBAG tool allows you to skip this step. For the instructions to be universal, we will still consider it in detail:
Fix the shaft. Insert the locking element into the corresponding hole. This can be a thin screwdriver or a metal bar.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In our example strictly clockwise.
Unscrew the cover according to the direction shown on the bobbin case.
The preparatory phase is over. You can now wind the line.
Prepare. remove and disassemble the bobbin
Most electric and gasoline powered trimmers require removal of the spool for line replacement. With the FUBAG tool this step can be skipped. For the instruction to be universal, we will still look at it in detail:
Secure the shaft. Insert the locking element into the appropriate hole. This can be a thin screwdriver or a metal bar.
Unscrew the bobbin case. In this example it is strictly clockwise.
Unscrew the cap according to the direction shown on the element body.
The preparatory step is complete. You can now start winding the line.
How to wind the trimmer line onto the grass trimmer reel
Lay the trimmer line according to the direction shown on the element body.
Insert the short end into the groove on the side of the spool.
Fasten the long end in the opposite groove.
Place the spool with the line wound in the bobbin case.
Cut the ends of the line leaving 10 to 15 centimeters.
The line change is complete and now you just need to screw the bobbin onto the weed trimmer and you are ready to go.
First, to wind the fishing line requires removing the spool (bobbin, bobbin) from the grass trimmer. certain actions will depend on the difficulty of configuration and the type of the product itself:
- small electronic grass trimmers with a working arrangement of the motor and spool at the bottom usually have side buttons on both sides of the reel. When you simultaneously click on them, the higher part of the spool along with the internal contents for reeling the line is detached, while the lower part remains on the trimmer. Disassembly of the bobbin is better to create on a flat smooth place, so that the incoming design of the spring did not jump out and was not lost;
- Electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with a curved rod without the ability to install a knife, usually have a special reel with a wingnut: in similar designs, one hand should hold the bobbin in a stationary position, and the other counterclockwise to twist fixing the reel on the rod nut, wingnut. How to tuck the line for the trimmer into the grass trimmer? How to tuck the trimmer line into the grass trimmer spool. It is clear how to charge a line for a trimmer on a grass trimmer. After undoing the nut the whole bobbin can be removed.
- electronic and gasoline grass trimmers with the ability to install a knife on a straight shaft (for example, STIHL grass trimmers) have a hole under the reel. For the immobility of the rod in this hole is inserted screwdriver or other suitable object and a slow rotation is achieved in such a reciprocal position when the screwdriver goes inside the hole, and the bobbin is fixed. After that the spool body is turned clockwise (with the left thread) and removed from the grass trimmer.
For the second and third version of the spool, depending on the design, disassembled by different methods. For spools with a wingnut, the wingnut is unscrewed; for spools with latches, the latch latches are pressed and one part of the spool is released from the other. How to tuck a line for a trimmer in how to do it right cheap line for a trimmer. 2. On your property. If the bobbin halves are connected by thread, it is enough to turn them by hand in opposite directions until they are completely uncoupled.
To quickly and safely change the fishing line on the mower reel, it is necessary to observe safety precautions. Before removing the reel to wind the line on the mower, the machine has to be disconnected from the electricity supply (if the mower is powered by electricity). Here we want to mention the rating of electric lawnmowers on reliability, which will help you choose a safe helper.
Another important safety rule to follow is to press the locking button. You can find its location on the machine in the owner’s manual. For example, you can find the operating instructions for the hand-held petrol lawnmower here.
Do not forget that the cutting element needs to be adjusted. There is an adjustment button on the body of the machine. If the process does not start automatically and there was a loosening of the thread tension, then the button is clamped, and the line for the trimmer is pulled with force from the spool.
It is necessary to remember that the replacement of the line in the lawnmower. it is an important process that requires responsibility. Everything must be performed in stages, and only a special polyethylene line for the trimmer should be inserted into the reel. An iron cord, some kind of high quality wire or even reinforced trimmer line is not suitable here.
In order to quickly and safely change the line on the mower reel, you must follow safety procedures. Before you remove the spool to wind the line for the trimmer on the lawnmower, you must disconnect the technique from the power supply (if the mower is powered by electricity). Here we want to mention the rating of electric lawnmowers on the reliability, which will help you choose a safe assistant.
Another important safety rule to follow is to press the locking button. You can find out its location on the body of the equipment with the help of the instruction manual. For example, you can find manual gasoline lawnmower instructions here.
Do not forget that the cutting element needs to be adjusted. There is an adjustment button on the body of the machine. If the process does not start automatically and there was a loosening of the thread tension, then the button is clamped, and the line for the trimmer with force is pulled from the spool.
It is necessary to remember that the replacement of the line in the lawnmower is an important process that requires responsibility. It is necessary to perform everything step by step, and only a special polyethylene line for the trimmer should be inserted into the reel. An iron cord, some kind of high quality wire or even a reinforced line for trimmer will not work here.
If there is a summer cottage or a large plot of land near your individual house or cottage, then it is necessary to use a lawn mower for easy cleaning of the grass and weeds. If you think about choosing an electric or gasoline lawnmower, click here and you’ll find comparative characteristics of different models.
Over time, the trimmer line on your mower will wear out and needs to be replaced. you can do it yourself. This polyethylene fishing line must be chosen according to the mower model. It is also worth keeping an eye on the other parts of the machine, here for example you will find information about the Craftsman mower blades which also wear out and can lead to irreversible consequences.
The design of the spool into which the line for the trimmer is inserted is very simple. But it differs depending on whether the reel works with one or two strand tendrils. It is important to observe safety precautions when replacing the fishing line in the spool.
Trimmer line. varieties and replacement with other material
Grass trimmer cord can be different diameters (from 1.2 to 4 mm) and should be chosen depending on what vegetation you want to mow. the thicker the trimmer line, the coarser the grass it can handle. Experienced users recommend putting a line for the trimmer with a thickness of 2 mm, which is universal.
The line shape can be round (for succulent grass) or with sharp square or star-shaped edges (for mowing dry grass). The second type is less durable and wears out faster than the round cord.
One of the popular questions about the operation of trimmers is whether the special mower cord can be replaced with other materials, such as metal or steel cables and strings, wire, etc.д. It is necessary to know that the installation of such items is not recommended, because together with them, the grass trimmer turns into a dangerous technique. During mowing, pieces of wire or metal will constantly break off and fly in different directions, risking injury to the worker. And if they accidentally touch a limb while working, they can cause serious injury.
Owners of trimmers, wondering whether you can use fishing line for the trimmer, we answer. it is allowed, but it will tear and wear out much faster, and therefore require frequent replacement.
Tip! Fishing line for the trimmer is well suited for harvesting grass near the fence or metal mesh. instead of spending expensive trimmer cord, you can charge a large-caliber (2-3 mm) tackle, which costs much less.
Algorithm for winding the line
Depending on which grass trimmer model is used, you choose the type, thickness, and length of fishing line. The diameter of the cord can be from 1.2 to 4 mm. You can guess that the thicker the cord, the harder and thicker the grass it can cut.
In most cases, a universal line with a diameter of 2 mm is used for the trimmer.
In order to find out what diameter of line you can use on your mower, there are 3 ways.
- See the instruction manual of your machine for information about cord thickness.
- Look at the bobbin itself. It may have information about the possible line diameters.
the line for the trimmer is wound onto a spool in the mowing head. So it has to be opened first (mentioned above). There are 2 ways to wind the cord.
To correctly determine how many meters of fishing line are required for a particular spool, you need to wind it on the bobbin in such a way that the coil does not exceed the diameter of the sides. If the line for the trimmer is sticking out beyond the edges of the reel, you will not be able to insert it into the cover. Once you have decided on the length of the material, it needs to be tucked into the bobbin, so do the following.
- You need to fold the line for the trimmer in half so that one end is 10-15 cm longer than the other.
- Note that the bobbin is divided into two parts by the central rib and that’s where the bobbin starts charging. Find a groove on it and insert the cord, bent in half, by applying a small amount of force.
Some spools have a second way of securing the cord: you can charge 2 lengths of thread, instead of one folded in half. The filament is changed according to the following algorithm.
- Before changing or loading new thread into the spool, determine how many meters of it will be required by the method discussed above.
- Bend one end of the filament into a hook.
For brushcutters brand Shtil there is a very simple and quick way to change the line without disassembling the mowing head, which you can see by watching this video.
The ends of the filament sticking out of the holes in the cover can be cut to the required length when the part is installed in the trimmer. This can be done in two ways:
- by turning on the grass trimmer (as it rotates, the ends of the fishing line will be cut on the knife fixed for this purpose on the guard);
- Use scissors to cut the extra ends so they do not touch the housing.
The second method is used if you had to put a large diameter cord and the cutter can not shorten it.
If the thread has been charged into the mowing head, but the length of the protruding ends of the cord is insufficient, then before starting the machine they must be lengthened. this applies to the head with manual adjustment. However, there are cases when using a semi-automatic mowing head, when due to insufficient length of the protruding ends of the cord, they are not automatically extended. In this case, it is necessary to unplug the machine (on an electric machine, it is absolutely necessary to unplug the power cord from the outlet), manually press the button located at the bottom of the part, and pull out some of the fishing line. After changing the filament, the filament can be extended again through centrifugal force if you set the spindle speed to the maximum.
Whatever thickness of trimmer line you use, remember: in order not to constantly interrupt work and not to change the cord, you should avoid areas where the working tool may touch hard surfaces (stones, curbs, thick dry twigs, etc.).д.).
Replacing the filament with a disc or blade
When improving a garden plot, park areas and other places where you want to mow different kinds of plants, it is often necessary to change the trimmer cutting tool. This is dictated by the fact that the standard cord installed in the mowing head can only cope with grass. But when a bush or young growth of trees appears on the path of the worker, the trimmer line cannot cope with such a task, and its change to a more effective cutting tool is required.
Trimmer manufacturers have foreseen such situations, and complemented their products with a mass of attachments in the form of knives with several “petals” or in the form of discs similar to circular saws.
If you replace the line for the trimmer with a knife with several “petals”, then such a tool can mow both tall grass and plants with thick and dry stems. And by changing the line for the trimmer line on the disk the brushcutter user has an opportunity to cut bushes or small trees.
The blades and discs are installed according to the following algorithm.
The first thing to do is to remove the mowing head by locking the shaft (turn it clockwise) or the nut and dust cap if the machine has not yet been used.
to better understand how to change the tool, you can watch this video.
Problems with the fishing line
Users of trimmers, both gasoline and electric, sometimes have problems with the cord. “Advanced” mower owners easily cope with the difficulties encountered, understanding why it happens, but for beginners. it is a problem that has no rational explanation. But in fact, the solution is quite simple. The most common problems that occur with the filament are.
If a trimmer’s fishing line tears frequently, it can be caused by the following reasons:
- stones, small branches and other hard obstacles in the grass;
- the user mows the grass close to the fence, and if it is mesh, this will break the “tendrils” even faster;
- poor quality cords (purchase of good quality cords is recommended)
- Worn outlets in the mowing head, so that the line for the trimmer is rubbed on the sharp edges of the bushes and breaks (requires a complete replacement parts).
High cord consumption
Basically, the cord runs out quickly if you bang the semiautomatic head frequently on the ground or press it down hard. The reel is unlocked and the trimmer line is cut with the knife as it extends. Another reason for high cord loss is improper use of the machine with an automatic mowing head: Users frequently reduce the engine speed when mowing. But as you remember the automatic head is designed so that every time you lower the engine speed a new line is fed, it runs out quickly.
The filament cannot be held
It can happen that the filament unwinds if the spring in the semiautomatic head is loose. The trimmer line is constantly being extended and cut by the blade on the blade guard, causing increased consumption. To check this, remove the hood and turn the machine on. If the trimmer line is “worn out”, the spring must be replaced.
the line for the trimmer flies out
A loose spring inside the head may also be the reason why the cord unwinds after starting the machine. In addition, there are cases when the mowing head breaks when turning on the machine, and the spring, installed in it, is lost. Inexperienced users don’t notice the absence of a spring and assemble this assembly without it. So the cord doesn’t hold and the centrifugal force causes it to fly out.
The cord is not fed, the spool does not spin
Automatic or semi-automatic head must feed line to trimmer without stopping machine. But if it does not come out, the reasons may be as follows:
- The line for the trimmer in the spool is incorrectly wound, due to which the latter does not spin;
- The cord is wound unevenly and the thread may get caught between the coils (the thread should be wound carefully, coil to coil, without skewing);
- the thread ends come out of the holes too short, so there is not enough centrifugal force to extract them, and the line for the trimmer does not feed (it is recommended before starting the machine always to adjust the length of the cord by tightening it slightly);
- the line for the trimmer is stuck (will be discussed later).
The filament is sticking
This problem occurs most often due to the use of low-quality cord. During operation of the machine, the grass trimmer head heats up, and low-quality trimmer lines in it melt, sticking together. Thread sintering also occurs when the line meets a hard obstacle. In this case there is a sudden braking of the cord, after which it is pulled into the head, where it is stuck. Some machine owners recommend lubricating the cord with mineral oil or spraying it with silicone spray after winding on the bobbin. Others advise to wind less thread on the spool. But it is better to buy a quality product, the manufacture of which the manufacturer has taken into account the factor of overheating the head, and the thread will not stick.